Stone Circle Your hands are cold
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger

Valette walked with Ezekiel when he agreed to teach her about patrolling. Sure, she knew it couldn't be that hard but it was never taught to her or expected of her. She had always been the hunter. She looked at Ezekiel, their somber mood made the chitchat stay away. As they reached the borders she could tell the previous scent marks of Steady. Her heart jolted. She almost didn't want to mark it with her own scent.

She walked to the tree and sniffed it. The mark was becoming fainter. A soft wince escaped from the female. She settled against the tree and closed her eyes. She missed Steady so terribly. Under that hardened mask, she showed before, it was clear that she was hurting.
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
They made their way to the border, and when they finally arrived, Valette settled at a tree. Ezekiel could see the hurt in her eyes, he smelled Steady's faint scent markers as well. He felt a fit of anger for a moment, his lip quivering with it; anger for the one who had taken Steady from those who loved him. It went away with the breeze that carried through their pelts. He walked towards Valette and nudged her shoulder to get her up. Come on. He encouraged her, then he began walking towards another nearby tree. Perhaps they could leave Steady's tree alone for now.

Ezekiel stopped at the large oak and waited for Val to catch up. Then he said, Like I said patrolling is easy. Mark your scent as often as you see fit, and keep walking. Investigate anything you find suspicious, and be prepared to intercept anyone you come across. As a guardian you cannot make exceptions as it is for the safety of the pack. He explained, stepping back and ushering for Valette to lay her own scent upon the oak. He'd been through the border plenty of times, it was time the alpha made her mark.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette was nudged at her shoulder. She snapped to real life. It was tough leaving the mark. She just wanted to be with Steady. Valette nodded when he explained what needed to be done. Valette marked the spot. It would mean she would have to save her pee then. That was something she wasn't used to. Yet, also the protection part was something she wasn't familiar with.

"I never had a fighting lesson in my life. How will I protect the pack?," she asked, feeling unfit for the position of the alpha as she couldn't protect them. She was here to provide, not protect. She let out a sigh. "Perhaps I should get a Beta who can do those things."
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
sorry for that short delay, I forgot to subscribe to the thread and I didn't see it xD

Valette snapped out of her sad trance when Ezekiel nudged her, and accepted his advice silently. She marked the spot and then the pair continued on. Not too long after they'd started patrolling again, Valette said she'd never had a fighting lesson. She obviously was nervous about doing the job alone, stressed about messing up. He wished there was some way he could ease all her worries, but he knew he couldn't. But there was something he could do. He turned his attention away from the path ahead and back to Valette. I can teach you to patrol and fight. It would be no problem at all. He assured her, a soft expression on his face.

She mentioned getting a Beta to do those jobs. He had no doubt that she could rule very well on her own, but if having a Beta would make her feel more secure, then he would support her fully. If you think you need a Beta then there are many able wolves in the pack. Krypton has always been loyal, and she is strong. I don't need the position of Beta, but you know I will be here to protect our family. He said.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette continued to talk with him. Perhaps they should have a change in structure. She didn't feel like fighting. However, she could kill a prey animal with some ferocity. Maybe she could channel that passion when someone was intruding. Valette slowly nodded to Ezekiel. Luckily, for her Krypton and Ezekiel were good fighters. They could fight for her and even teach her. "I might take you up on that. Though I'd rather stay the provider instead of the protector."

Valette marked another spot. She realized that she did not mind doing the patrol and the marking. She needed to accept that Steady was not coming back and this was all hers now. He would have wanted her to stay strong and keep their family going. The female noticed that she was starting to soften up towards Ezekiel. It felt like before, when they were friends. "Yes. I will think about who will be a good Beta," she spoke with a soft nod. She did realize that Krypton had to leave too, and Ezekiel had left. She would need to think about it. "Do you think we need more members," she then questioned.
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Ezekiel watched Valette mark a few more areas, and seeing that she'd gotten the hang of it, he started marking again with her. She wasn't bad at patrolling at all, but he understood that she didn't really want to have to do this. Like she said, she was a provider not a protector. But at least now she knew how to do this, as it was a helpful skill to know. She said that she would think about who could be a good Beta, and he was glad for that. If she had a Beta who could patrol and fight, she wouldn't really have to worry about patrolling, her problems would be solved.

She asked him if he thought they needed more members, and he furrowed his eyebrows thoughtfully. They were low on members, with so many disappearing and deserting them. He wished that all of the old members were still here, how great of a team they'd been. Niita, Chaska, Adeline, Reiko (who he'd unfortunately scared away), and even Anita, they were the Silvertip mountain members he loved and respected. He still respected and loved his new family, but it wasn't the same.

After thinking about it, he nodded. It would be a good idea to recruit a few more. We can get by with the members we have, but if too many more leave we will be put in a situation where we might have to disband. I think to be safe, we should add a few more wolves to our family. Do we have any scouts, who we trust to find capable and loyal wolves? He knew Valette was a scout, but he doubted she would want to leave Easthollow now, especially since she was the only leader.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette listened to Ezekiel's council. The female slowly nodded. She was the only scout of the pack but she remembered that Nikai and perhaps Keoni too, liked exploring. She was a ranger, not an ambassador. "Perhaps Nikai. He is friendly and likes to explore? Maybe Keoni would like to join her brother?," she offered. They were adults now, and perhaps they would like to find some new members.

"I don't think I am able to leave, especially not while I am the alpha. My ranger trade and being the alpha don't really go together," she admitted and then shrugged lightly. She didn't mind it too much, however, she hoped that she would gain her mastery eventually. For now, it was not that important. She could still expand on her hunter trade.
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Ezekiel had barely talked to Nikai before, he was a little more acquainted to Keoni. He knew little about them other than that they were Valette's adopted children. Because of that, he trusted them, and considered them family. I like that idea, they seem capable enough. He said. Valette then explained that her ranged trade and alpha weren't the best combination, and unfortunately Ezekiel agreed. It sucked not being able to do what you love, but sometimes leadership called for sacrifice.

Yeah, I'm sure we can hold down the fort for you if you want to take a couple trips, but I think it's best that you stay here most of the time. He added, pausing to scan the area for anything out of the ordinary. Once he decided that the area was clear, he continued on.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette nodded in agreement. She was glad that he agreed with her. Once she would see Nikai she could ask him if he was open for a mission. By his eagerness last time they left the territory Valette felt like Nikai would like a little task. They were old enough to help out after all.

"I don't think I would even feel comfortable leaving. I accepted my new position once I got together with Steady. Still, I would still be able to travel when he was still alive," she sighed. She looked ahead, the rest of the border. "I think I will mark this tomorrow. I don't feel like patrolling anymore," she admitted. All this talk about Steady and what she could have done. She felt tired.
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Ezekiel felt another pang of sadness when Valette said that she wouldn't feel comfortable traveling anymore. The girl had loved scouting and exploring back when they were closer. But things were so different now. He wished there was some way he could go back to that day when he'd slipped. That one little action had cost him the life he had wanted for so long. He still had her, he still had this family, but it wasn't the same. As consolation the male replied, Well if you do decide to drop your trade, you are a very adept huntress. Your skills will always be necessary for this pack to thrive.

Valette then paused, and Ezekiel stopped next to her. She said she didn't feel like patrolling anymore. He nodded, I can finish this side now, I'll leave the other for you to do tomorrow if you want. He offered, he didn't like leaving sections of the border untended to, so he at least had to finish this less marked up half.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette thought for a moment and then shook her head. "I would never drop it. Perhaps I can still roam a bit in this region if I found the right Beta," she offered to him. She was actually doubting between two wolves. Yet, both had left them for different reasons. She was not sure which of the two would be better. She would have to think about it. Assess them from a distance.

"Thank you. I'd like that," she spoke and then nodded. "I will get some rest now. I will see you around," she spoke to Zeke and then trotted back into the territory. She was glad that they were talking again, at least that would make pack relationships better in general.

Feel free to archive or wrap it up with a post of yours! :3