Hoshor Plains where you are
Ghost
he came and stole the wild
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Private 

It had been long since Rannoch had stepped paw into the plains. Gravitating towards the lands that they were once run from, Rannoch was set on checking up with the area to see whether or not the bear had moved on. Within the Vale, Rannoch paid careful mind to the scents that lingered within the span of his sanctuary whilst seeking the distinct musk that he now knew after the incident to be a bear scent. In finding this smell, Rannoch hoped to find solace from the nightmares that often plagued him about the run-in with the bear.

The air was still thick with the moisture from the morning storm, making the scents of the plains all the more intense. Lowering his head, as the Alpha was eager to get the show on the road, Rannoch began his investigation at the foothills. Thankfully, from the first impression he smelt, the odor he sought was absent from the rich variation of smells.
a crime so old as the sky and bone
he came untied, solid as a stone
all is almost lost and it starts to show
worlds best dad award winner
351 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Lagan was still planning on doing a big scouting trip to the southern mountains with Gannet and hopefully Lady, but that would take too long. He didn't want to miss his mom's babies being born, so he'd decided that they would postpone their adventure until afterwards. He'd made this executive decision, but he also hated it. He hadn't gone outside of the Caldera since his mom had gotten pregnant, and that was a while ago. He was itching to move around, so on a day that he felt his mom probably wasn't going to explode, he'd decided to take a day trip.

He went north, and found himself on some sprawling plains. Golden and green and a cloudy sky. The morning storm had left the grass wet, which Lagan wasn't a huge fan of, but with some odd prancing he was getting by. He was investigating some of the more hilly terrain when he saw a figure in the distance. A wolf that looked uber familiar, but he couldn't remember why. He trotted forwards and barked to get the other's attention, his tail wagging in a friendly manner.

thanks for starting this <3
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
In his exploration, a sudden bark caught the attention of the Alpha. Lifting his head to face whoever had attempted to catch his attention, Rannoch surveyed until he realized just who had called. At first glance, the man could have mistaken the other for his romantic interest. But, as the other became more apparent, and a pair of acidic-like eyes looked in his direction, Rannoch had an inkling about who had caught his attention.

"Lagan?" ventured Rannoch as he looked to the approaching wolf, a hint of disbelief among the deep cords of his baritone as he spoke. "What are you doing out here?" even though he had yet to identify the identity of the other, Rannoch took an eager step towards the other wolf in an attempt to better scope him out.
351 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
The other male knew his name, but the voice surprised him. Lagan had figured out who the guy was by now, but he was pretty sure last time they met his voice hadn't been nearly as deep. Lagan's voice had changed too, but not as much apparently. Whoa man, your voice is deep! Lagan said with a smile, trotting forwards to the other and looking him over. Rannoch asked what he was doing out here, and Lagan shrugged, getting into a comfortable position. I'm about to be a big brother again, so I thought before that happens I'll take a day trip to celebrate.

There was a pause, before Lagan let out another thing he'd been thinking about. I'm assuming Liffey's still with you, so could you tell her she's gonna be a big sister for me? Maybe ask if she wants to visit our kiddos. Oh and tell her Eljay's gone too, and there's a whole lot of other wolves with us now, but their nice. It was very much a long run on sentence, each factoid added as an afterthought.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Despite his certainty in who the nearing wolf was, Rannoch soon found himself surprised at what Lagan offered in greeting. "You think?" He asked with widened eyes, a sliver of disbelief tainting his tone. Rannoch had never paid too much mind to how his voice had changed, but, after a moment of contemplation, the Alpha deducted that what Lagan said was truthful. With this in mind, the apple-eyed wolf broke some news that caused a distraction to his previous thoughts, and he brightened. "That's wonderful news!" He exclaimed as he lowered his hindquarters to sit. "Congratulations!" And because of his excitement, an array of questions came to mind. But, for the time being, they went unsaid as he continued to listen to what the wolf of the Caldera had to offer. 

A long winded news briefing followed, and Rannoch nodded, finding his excitement dampened by the news of Eljay's departure. Though he had never met their older sibling, Rannoch felt sorry that they had lost a member of their family. "Yes, of course, I'll tell her," he assured Lagan. He would never dare to keep Liffey misinformed and felt it was his duty to keep her in the loop of what was occurring with her family. With his concern still lingering, he offered: "I'm sorry to hear that about Eljay, though. Is everybody doing okay?" 
351 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Lagan beamed at Rannoch's congratulations, his tail wagging happily. He was super excited to be a big brother, but also nervous. The Redhawks had been easy peasy, but what if his actual little siblings were way different? What if they hated him, or what if he screwed up and lost one of them? He shouldn't have been nervous because he really was a natural babysitter, but at the same time it'd been so long since the redhawks were pups, would he even remember how to act? Thanks. He replied to his congrats.

Rannoch agreed to tell Liffey all the gossip, and Lagan thanked him one more time with a nod and a smile. The other gray male said he was sorry about Eljay, and asked how everyone was doing. Suddenly realizing his former statement may have sounded like Eljay died, Lagan quickly corrected himself. Eljay didn't die or anything, sorry if that's what it sounded like. But we're all good I think. As long as he's alive and happy and comes home to visit I think we'll be ok.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
In Rannoch's world, being "gone" was an unfortunate situation. Unlike Lagan who had the benefit of returning siblings, the Alpha had experienced that once wolves close to him exited his life, they were gone for good. Naturally, with this definition of vanishing clarified, the burly male felt relief for Lagan and his family. "Ah, sorry about that," Rannoch replied, embarrassed in the fact that he had instantly assumed the worst. "I'm so used to wolves vanishing for good when they do, so I jumped to the conclusion that, well, he was gone gone." 

With one of Rannoch's more interesting and tragic quirks exposed, the Alpha sought new conversational material quickly. Settling on a much happier topic, he asked: "As a Sitter, what do you have to do to help prepare for the babies to arrive?" He paused for the moment, feeling that his initial question needed an explanation. "I've decided to pursue being a Sitter after we last met and I've been doing well in watching kids. I just am not sure what's expected of us before they arrive." As far as Rannoch was concerned, Lagan was the best teacher that he could have on the subject and he was confident that he had the answer.
351 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
It seemed Rannoch had took it that Eljay had died, and the other boy explained why. Lagan felt a pang of sadness for a moment, empathy for his friend. He remembered what Rannoch's brother Cypress had told him about their family, and found himself wishing there was someway he could change it. But people die, and they don't come back. Lagan averted his eyes for a moment settling them on the ground as he started to think about losing his own parents. He tried to hide his sadness, but he wasn't extremely good at it.

Luckily the conversation took a turn, one that Lagan was happy to talk about, and he lifted his head a back up with a grin. What kind of things did he do to get ready for the kiddos? Rannoch explained soon after that he had decided to become a sitter and Lagan's smile broadened. That's so awesome dude! I guess I really rubbed off on you! He said, teasingly batting a paw at Rannoch's shoulder. Back to Rannoch's original question, Lagan replied, Well I personally don't do too much. It's mostly my mom and dad, but I help Raven stash some herbs that will help during the birth, and I'm around my mom a lot to keep watch. Before their born I mostly can just be there to help out where I'm needed.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Despite his feelings on the matter of people leaving, Rannoch felt bad that his dampened feelings had rubbed off on Lagan. Momentarily condemning his openness, as he should have known this would happen, Rannoch attempted to navigate their conversation to happier frontiers. Once a topic was chosen, one that Rannoch was convinced would effectively navigate Lagan from his downcast mood, the Alpha committed to it and asked.

As he suspected, it was the right inquiry to remove him from his crestfallen spirit. In reaction to this accomplishment, Rannoch's posture rose as the edges of his lips lifted, finding the happiness to be as contagious as the sadness had been. In addition to their new-found happiness, Rannoch also obtained some helpful information that would help him become a better Sitter. As the physical contact prompted him, Rannoch growled fondly, his tail swaying as he listened to what Lagan offered. 

"That makes sense," he admitted. "So when do we become involved with Sitting? Once they're weaned?" To Rannoch, this made the most sense, but he figured that he'd pass it by Lagan before assuming that it was factual.
351 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Rannoch agreed with Lagan's statement, and Lagan gave himself an internal checkmark. Lagan liked hearing that confirmation, to know that his way of doing his job actually made sense. Plus he was super excited to be teaching something, instead of being the teach-ee! It was always about what lesson could Lagan learn, what questions could Lagan ask, but this- this was his time. His time to show someone else something cool for a change.

Rannoch asked his next question, and the lighted grey male shrugged. I guess it depends on the parents. I like to hang around the den, play with the puppies whatever chance I get. But I know some parents would rather it just be them inside until the pups are old enough. I guess what I mean is that you can start sitting at any time, but the real fun stuff starts after they're weaned. Lagan finished with a nod.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
What Lagan offered made sense to Rannoch. But as he began to recall the information, the aspiring sitter realized that he had accepted some information that he didn't completely understand. Though Rannoch could infer that the Raven he mentioned was a medic, he wanted to make sure. "I don't mean to backtrack like this," he began sheepishly, "But ... who is Raven?" He had an inkling, and he was confident that Liffey had told him at sometime, but there were so many wolves in the Caldera for him to keep tabs on. "And what does she do with herbs?" he asked, wishing to get all the information that he could.
351 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Had Lagan mentioned Raven? Oh yeah, he had. The boy had pretty much forgotten, his mouth often moved faster than his mind, and his train of thought had already left he Raven station. So he pulled on the brakes and went in reverse, back to where the conversation had been. Raven and her herbs. Oh Raven? She's my cousin, and the packs official healer I guess. I've learned some stuff about healing from her but not enough to call me an official medic. Lagan explained.

Rannoch asked what the herbs do, and Lagan didn't have a definite answer for this one. Umm I don't really know. But I know that giving birth is kind of dangerous. All those babies I told you about, the ones that I babysit sometimes, their mom was our old alpha, my aunt Fox. She died giving birth to them. So I think those herbs that me and Raven found somehow make it safer when the mommy is having the babies. I'll ask her about it for you next time I see her. He said.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Lagan had succeeded in both answering Rannoch's question and satisfying his curiosity for now. Upon the completion of the apple-eyed boy's statement, Rannoch nodded with a smile. "Oh, gotcha," he murmured with appreciation, knowing that Lagan wasn't obliged to share what he knew. Though Rannoch was not expected to know every wolf in the Caldera, he was somewhat embarrassed that he couldn't remember Raven. To elaborate on why he had asked about Raven, and thus alleviate his insecurities on the matter, he added, "Liffey has been telling me about everybody in the Caldera, but, it's so hard to keep up sometimes!" He'd hope that Lagan understood where he was coming from. 

He was sad to hear about the fate of the Mother, and he frowned momentarily at this but of news. "I'm sorry to hear that," he replied, his voice laced with genuine remorse. But, shortly after the sad tale, more valuable information was shared, and Rannoch eagerly committed this to memory, as he knew it would be useful to learn. "I'd appreciate that, thanks." Rannoch assumed that meant that they would be running into one another in the future and that excited the Alpha.
351 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Rannoch looked grateful, then went on to explain why he had asked, and at that Lagan made a psh sound through his teeth. You have no idea. Feels like everyday I'm walking round I smell somebody new. And soon enough you'll have to remember some more new names, as soon as my siblings are born. He said with a proud twinkle in his eyes. He was proud indeed, and he had every right to be. The Redthorn Blackhawk tribe were a group to marvel at, and he was a part of their legacy. Did that sound cool or what?

Rannoch said he was sorry to hear about Fox's fate, and Lagan shrugged. It was very sad yeah, but he hadn't been that close with his aunt Fox, and it had happened a long time ago. Sometime he did wonder how the Caldera pack would be if Uncle P and Aunt Fox were still alive, but he didn't dwell on it. Lagan was the type to look forward instead of back, and live in the present. After Lagan finished telling Rannoch about the herbs used in childbirth and how he'd ask Raven for more deets, he was given another thank you. He smile and let his tail wag happily. Yeah it's no problem man!

want to finish this soon?
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Fading per our conversation! Thanks for the thread!

It was as he thanked Lagan a second time that he noticed how quickly the day had aged. The sun was already descending, and the first hints on sunset had begun to streak across the sky. Rannoch sighed at this sight, knowing that their time together was limited. "Hey," he began offhandedly as his attention returned to the Caldera's Sitter. "It looks like it's getting late; I've gotta get back to the Vale." As much as he wished to stay, he knew that he had to return home. "Do you want to come by? Or do you need to go back, too?" Though thankful for the offer, Lagan informed Rannoch that he had to get going back in the direction of the Caldera. Rannoch nodded to this, confident that their paths would cross again soon. 

"I'll tell Liffey everything, too," he promised. With a fond farewell, the boys went separate ways and returned to their respective homes.  Rannoch was glad to have run into Lagan and was eager to tell Liffey the big news. For now, as he made his way back, Rannoch recited what he had been taught to commit it to memory, as the information he had been given was valuable.