Emberwood you're a book tease.
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
All Welcome 
Liffey was no great hunter, but she knew the wildlife she shared this world with well enough to know where to look for the environments they might frequent. Scoping out potential hunting grounds was one of the things she enjoyed doing to make up for her lack of skills, but that day she'd wandered further than she'd intended in search of them. But when she'd spied the forest from the Northwest peaks of the Sunspire mountains, she'd simply been unable to help herself.

The delta was quiet as she meandered between the tall, thin trees. She paused here and there to sniff at the snowy bark, fascinated. They smelled very much like other trees, which had surprised her. She'd never come across an aspen tree before, nor any other tree with smooth, white bark like these. The yearling had thought perhaps they were covered in something like dandelion fluff at first. But no, they were just lovely, unique trees. Liffey smiled as she continued on her way, wondering what other treasures this forest might hold.
if I knew where I was going, I'd lose my way.
~•~
ya lastoschka, ya sokol
43 Posts
Ooc — Wintersong
Katya treaded easily through the vibrant forest. Sunlight filtered down through the canopy of the tall, supple trees, creating a bright patchwork on her sleek midnight-blue coat. The lone wolf was thin, but ate enough in compensation for her current lifestyle and looked healthy--strong--despite her lack of height. Each step revealed powerful muscles underneath thick fur. Her cerulean eyes cut through the early morning fog, and she lifted her nose to the air and down to the ground to detect any fresh scents of prey.

It truly was beautiful, even without the brilliant fiery hues that gave Emberwood its name. There was an air of tranquility and silent grace Katya had never experienced in a woodland before. The she-wolf was raised in stone canyon walls carved by a long-lost river. The few trees that thrived in the harsh terrain were hardy, stocky, and bare.

Katya was snatched back into her current surroundings by a flash of silver among the white-barked trunks of aspen. The she-wolf was immediately on guard, straightening her spine and taking a confident step forward. Her eyes narrowed and her ears swiveled at the top of her skull, sifting through the sounds of the leaves rustling in the winds and birdsong for the slightest intake of breath, the brush of a leg or tail against a tree. If it weren't for the carefully relaxed rise and fall of her chest, she was as still as a statue.
Activity is currently sluggish. I may be able to post on weekends, I may not. If you're impatient, feel free to power-play my characters OUT of a thread, but please do not tag them or play them in upcoming events. Thank you!
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
Liffey didn't hear the other wolf approaching, nor did she notice the subtle change in the aroma of the woods that meant another was near. What she did notice was the flicker of darkness between the bright white stalks of the trees. The girl froze in place, eyes widening slightly as she turned to fully grasp the sight of the stranger who was taking guarded steps towards her. Unlike other strangers she had met in her wanderings, this wolf did not seem to carry any open friendliness. Not to say there was anything threatening about her, but it quickly made the already awkward girl uncomfortable.

In spite of her misgivings, the Blackthorn did not shrink away in fear. It was a testament to how much she had grown within Rannoch's pack that all she did was dip her muzzle slightly and offer an amiable wag of her tail in an effort to signal that she was not an enemy.
~•~
ya lastoschka, ya sokol
43 Posts
Ooc — Wintersong
Katya's gaze passed from trunk to tree trunk, searching for the silver form she had caught a glance of just a few moments before.

A beat, then the wolf was revealed in small movements--a dip of their chin and a flick of a tail. The blue she-wolf relaxed, but still poised as she approached the wolf with small steps until she was about a dozen yards off. Close enough to ascertain the wolf was a year-old female.

Katya admired the other wolf's camouflage--gray fur rendered her invisible against the ivory bark. Katya didn't smile, but she regarded the wolf with an open, respectful expression.
Activity is currently sluggish. I may be able to post on weekends, I may not. If you're impatient, feel free to power-play my characters OUT of a thread, but please do not tag them or play them in upcoming events. Thank you!
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
There was tension in the stranger as well that Liffey only noticed when it dissipated. She relaxed as well and watched the dark wolf expectantly, saying nothing. It took only a few seconds for her to realize that her companion was not going to be the one to break the silence, and if it remained any longer, it would shift into its awkward phase. Not wanting to endure that, Liffey cleared her throat and called out a kindly, "Hello there. I'm Liffey. Do you know these woods well?"
~•~
ya lastoschka, ya sokol
43 Posts
Ooc — Wintersong
Katya lifted her head as the she-wolf began to speak, and she listened solemnly. As the blue-gray wolf drew near, she noted how familiar the she-wolf smelled. Like Morningside, but different. The scent of stones and forest were far stronger than the Cuesta.

"My name is Katya. I'm still getting to know this area myself," she barked politely. "Are you from the valley? You look too well-groomed to be a loner."
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
The stranger introduced herself and answered the question posed. Liffey hadn't met very many wolves that weren't actually from the Wilds thus far, and so she was instantly intrigued to hear more about where the girl was actually from. She realized that it was possible Katya had only meant she wasn't familiar with Emberwood, or with the larger region and not necessarily the whole of the Wilds. But that just made the Blackthorn's curiosity all the more intense.

"I grew up in the Wilds, but in a territory Southwest of here," she answered, "I run with a pack that resides to the South now. We just settled there a little over a month ago."
~•~
ya lastoschka, ya sokol
43 Posts
Ooc — Wintersong
Katya nodded that she understood. "Then you must be Easthollow. I passed by your territory when I first arrived not too long ago. I only recently joined Morningside," she supplied. She settled into an easy stance, but was careful to stay alert and keep her guard up. She knew their packs were on generally friendly terms, but Katya, not used to that concept, decided it was best to play it safe. She was relieved to hear both of their pack histories were relatively young.

"So," the silvery fae began. "What are you doing out here in Emberwood?"
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
The woman responded with an assumption - an incorrect one. Liffey instantly felt her anxiety shift up a notch at this. For a moment, she considered simply agreeing and saying that yes, Easthollow, totally. Honesty won out over awkwardness, in the end, and politely she shook her head and smiled. "Actually, no," Liffey said, "I'm part of a newer pack - Northstar Vale. I don't actually know of Easthollow, nor of Morningside, though I'd be interested in learning more. That's actually what brings me out here. I like to learn more about the land that surrounds my family."

The woman was polite in her response, but quick to excuse herself after. Liffey smiled as she left, turning to inspect her surroundings in an effort to regain her direction before setting off once again to explore more of this unusual forest.
~•~