Northstar Vale at night, we name every star
Wild Fauna
Shared Account
105 Posts
Ooc —
Random Event 
Takes place the evening of June 30, 2017.

Happy National Meteor Watch Day, Northstar Vale!

The end of the month was marked by what felt like a particularly early sunset. The sun seemed in a hurry to dip below the horizon, leaving in its wake a brilliant green flash, quick as an errant thought. The cloudless summer sky was a swirl of purples and blues; and when the waxing gibbous moon tiptoed up through the tenebrae, her light shone especially brightly.

Though the moon was still about a week shy of her full illumination, her unnatural luminescence and the pale cyan halo that appeared around her made it seem that she’d skipped ahead in the lunar cycle. Moondogs glimmered to life like a pair of symmetrical parentheses — and then, in scant trickles at first, the stars began to dance across the sky.

They came in ones and twos — trios and quartets, quintets and sextets — and then they lanced the darkness in the tens and twenties, filling the balmy summer night with kaleidoscopic light. The stelliferous light show was bound to last for a few days at least, but this was its brightest hour. The vale’s shadowed sanctuary was for once utterly illuminated; and the thickness of the trees made it impossible to tell where each individual star might fall. It seemed that they sprang up from one side of the high-walled fortress only to arc and disappear on the other side. They reflected in little rainbows on the surface of the Clandestine Stream and created a mesmerizing mirror effect in the Lotus Spring, where the fireflies seemed to dance with special fervor, like sentient fragments of celestial light.

posted by coelacanth.
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
Liffey hadn't anticipated that this night would be unlike any other. It was for that reason she had decided against making the trip to her stargazing ledge, opting instead to lay in the open fields with her nose pointed skyward like she so often had in the past. Her heart didn't quite feel as in it tonight as usual. Though her eyes were lifted to the heavens, the twinkling lights were just scattered blurs in her periphery. She saw only the things inside her mind as sleep began to take her.

The delta's eyelids had begun to drift when a streak across the sky caused her to snap back to attention. She canted her head curiously as she watched the dark palette overhead, wondering if she'd just imagined it or... Another star fell, then another, and another. Her eyes widened as she watched the night dance for her in bittersweet awe, for as spectacular as it was, all she could think of was the story her mother used to tell them about shooting stars, and the promise she had once made to take Liffey on a hunt for the falling lights that felt so unlikely to ever be kept.
if I knew where I was going, I'd lose my way.
~•~
Ghost
he came and stole the wild
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch was on his way back to Liffey and the rest of the pack when the first fragments of starlight trickled along the indigo canvas of the night sky. At first, the Alpha of the Vale did not realize the spectacle that was occurring overhead. Instead, he continued along at a quickened pace, eager to get back to his beloved's side before it got too late. 

It was only when the extraterrestrial storm gained momentum that Rannoch found his attention being drawn to the heavens above. It was at first glance of what was going on that the Alpha felt his heart freeze within his breast. Rannoch had never seen anything this in his life and didn't know what to make of it. It was both awe-striking and terrifying, and with these conflicting feelings, stalled his progression back to his pack to watch the spectacle overhead whilst wondering what it all meant.
a crime so old as the sky and bone
he came untied, solid as a stone
all is almost lost and it starts to show
his crown was ever changing made as it was by leaves and berries of the season
228 Posts
Ooc —
As the first star falls across the sky, drawn in by earth’s gravity but not near enough for it to be pulled to collision the empyrean is taken aback, unsure of what exactly it was he saw — it moved so fast! He draws back, paw frozen from the step he was going to take, imperial green eyes trained upon the velveteen umbra of night, willing for the phenomenon to happen again. He almost thinks that none more would fall and that he has missed the lonely star as it sped away, struggling to understand what it was he saw and more importantly if he had even seen it at all. Mato is about to turn away when they begin to rain across the celestial landscape far out of his reach. The likes of which he has never seen before. It is not something the druid thinks he could have ever dreamed! It was beautiful and gave him the shivers as he watched the heavens spill forth celestial fire as they streaked across the skyline: blazing and ethereal. It is a sign he believes, one that steels his shoulders as he ponders whether the sign is a good one or an ill fated omen, instead. He isn’t sure and his ears, dusted with ebony, flutter back to rest at half mast atop his skull as he attempts to read what the night sky is spelling out to him in muted awe, everything — and everyone else, unfortunately — melting away as a thrill of excitement at the challenge presented before him entices him to interpret the transcendent skyfall.
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
Liffey watched the meteor shower with solemn awe. As much as she wanted to be swept away into the usual wonder she felt when stargazing, the melancholy in her heart kept her firmly grounded. It was because of this that she found the strength to look away after a while and look out across the plains. There was suddenly something that she needed to do, and she needed to do it now before her resolve broke. Turning her nose skyward, she sent out a gentle howl, asking for a packmate to come to her. It didn't matter if it was Rannoch, just so long as she found someone to give her message to before she set out.
~•~
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch was easily distracted from the spectacle overhead when he heard Liffey's call. Unsure of the intention of her call, and quickly jumping to the assumption that it would be a clarification of what exactly was going on, Rannoch replied with an eager cry to inform her that he was on the way. Given the brisk speed of his trot, it took no time for the turquoise-eyed male to reach his fire-eyed Delta. 

"Liffey," he greeted softly as he brought forth his muzzle to touch her pale cheek. "What's going on?" 
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
It didn't take long for Rannoch to find her. In spite of Liffey's openness to being intercepted by any pack member that could deliver a message to him, she was relieved to see her... undefined, romantically-charged companion, approach. Her heart was pounding already by the time he arrived, and his gentle touch to her cheek did little to calm it. She offered him a smile, but it was weakened under the weight of the urgency she felt. She dug her claws into the soil beneath her feet anxiously.

"I need to go," Liffey explained, "I mean, not forever. But I need to go see my family, at the Caldera. I... It's been too long. I should have gone a while ago. I need to tell them where I am and that things are good and I'm safe and happy and that... I..." Liffey paused in her rambling to take a steadying breath. "I just need to see them." Her eyes shifted skyward as more stars shot across the darkness, prompting another sharp throb of her heart.
~•~
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Despite her initial excitement, Liffey soon faltered. It was as this happened that the Alpha sensed the gravity of the situation and his expression fell as well as he studied the delicate features of her face. As she began to explain her call, his heart raced like it never had before. Though he would hold his words until she was done describing what had to be done, Rannoch already knew what needed to be said from his end, and he would usher it eagerly into the night.

"Please, go," he requested, his voice soft. He knew that she needed to see them and he could not blame her for feeling in such a way. He could have seen himself doing the same if Cypress and Rian lived away from him. "You need to not worry about us at the Vale. You need to take this for yourself." And despite knowing that she needed to do this, Rannoch also knew that there was something he needed to know, too. 

"And if you need somebody to travel with you, I'd be willing," as he spoke, his voice got higher as nervousness in his brashness took hold of him.
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
Liffey felt her heart crack in the instant he told her to go. Of course, the following words patched it right back up, but in that moment, it felt like her world was crumbling. She breathed deeply to move past it, but the memory of that would stay with her for repeated inspection at a later time. She looked at him, uncertain of whether or not she should accept his offer. The Vale didn't need her - she knew this and was perfectly content with it - but she knew that it needed Rannoch. How could she be so selfish as to take him away?

"I don't want to go alone," she replied, quickly and unabashedly admitting to herself that it was actually quite simple to be so selfish as to take him away. Liffey couldn't help herself - While Rannoch would not know how desperate her need for him was, she was quite aware that she wouldn't be able to make the trip without him. As determined as she was in that moment, it would fail the moment she saw those rounded cliffs upon the horizon.
~•~
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Despite his duty to the Vale, Rannoch knew there were others that could easily step up and fill in for him for the short time that they would be away. He was confident that Cypress and Rian would do all that they could to ensure that all would be all right and felt peace in leaving.  They would understand, too, once Rannoch got the opportunity to explain what he needed to do. 

Her words only confirmed that she wanted him to come and he smiled, happy that she was willing to have him come along. He exhaled then, expelling his momentary stress into the air between them. "When do we leave?" he prompted, his voice softer as he searched her face for any insight of what she was thinking.
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
Rannoch didn't hesitate, and suddenly a beam of gladness shone through the murk of her turmoil. She smiled gratefully, feeling already as though her emotional burden had been lightened. "We don't have to go immediately," Liffey answered, going against the thoughts she had suffered only minutes earlier, "But soon would be good. I should've gone weeks ago..." Her voice fell away before she could say more. She bit her lip thoughtfully, allowing her gaze to wander up towards his face for only a moment before continuing skyward to the show that dazzled overhead.

"Do you want to hear a story that my mom told me about shooting stars?" Liffey asked quietly, suddenly wanting very much to share it with him. She smiled as she glanced again at his face. It would not be the educational sort of stargazing they had done together in the past, but it was no less meaningful than any other moment they had spent together.
~•~