Moonspear You make wine from sour grapes
i'M cRaZY?! What's crAZy is that this world refuses to let me be with yOU~!! <3
317 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
Away
Joining 
A long time ago, Kjalarr had mentioned something of a family member — a brother or something — down here in the mountains. Maude didn't know where that was exactly — there was a lot of guesswork involved — but she had wandered around in the general area until she smelled wolves, and figured that this was it.

It was one of the only leads she had outside of Neverwinter to finding Kjalarr. Her relationship with Kjalarr might come into question — could she lie and say she was the kid's mother? Nah... — but with Arrille there, she was certain they would get some info.

She brought @Arrille to the foothills of the mountain and, turning her head to the sky, called for whoever led to come down and meet them. Maybe they'd get something useful out of this.
Maude identifies as female, but is physically male.

(She also swears like a (literal) sailor)
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Charon had felt bad about leaving Ran to die in the mountains at first, but as soon as he was back home here on the mountain he had felt completely fine about it. It was the best thing for both of them; for Ran to die and for the pack to not waste resources and reputation on feeding a weak child. He hadn't told anyone the truth, of course — nobody except for Amekaze and Hydra, the only ones he trusted with such news because they thought like he did. Even his other daughters had been told that she had simply perished from being runty and weak, and that was the story that he stuck to.

When the call sounded he was around the den so it wasn't a very far journey down the mountain. He moved through the forested area at the mountain's foothills until he reached the borders, where forest became rolling hills of grass again, and noticed two wolves standing there. One of them was clearly young, the other an adult. Charon glanced at the dude and introduced, "Hi. I'm Charon, the Alpha around here." Then he waited, assuming he'd receive both an introduction and an explanation of why the pair of wolves was here.
459 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Arrille's feet were sore, so very sore. They had come this way, no doubt to find Kjallar, his father. But why would he come here? There was nothing mentioned of mountains. All they ever spoke of was the place the boy was born, and the sea with the beach. The cove. Never mountains. Seeing them go so high into the sky made his legs a little wobbly. 

Maude howled for someone, then he smelt it too. There were wolves here. None he recognized, that was for sure. "Maude. Why are we-" He stopped himself when he saw a wolf had come their way to greet them. As it turned out, they were alpha. He quickly shut his mouth, keeping himself quiet in the presence of an alpha.
317 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
Away
The alpha had arrived, and Maude shushed Arrille, even though he had snapped his jaws shut at the sight of the wolf. The man looked nothing like Kjalarr, but she had never met his father — outside of his skull of course — or his mother, so she could not say for certain. Though, that was assuming all of Kjalarr's family were automatic leaders.

Maude smiled her trademarked crooked, slightly rotten smile, bowing her head and flattening her ears. Ahoy, Cap'n — er. Alpha, sir. she still wasn't good at joining these inland packs. Me name's Maude, and he's Arrille. We're in search fer lodgings, but most importantly, we're lookin' fer a wolf named Kjalarr.

starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
The way the wolf spoke was kinda weird. Charon looked at the youth briefly before turning back to the adult, as though trying to figure out what they were doing here, a youth and adult, together. Maybe they were father and son. Maude seemed like a funny name, but Charon didn't say anything about it. At least they were being respectful so far, and that was all he could ask for.

She asked for a wolf named Kjalarr, and it didn't really ring a bell. Charon had always called his brother Jorunn no matter what he called himself and so it didn't come familiar to him when he heard about a wolf named Kjalarr. He'd never accepted that name. He looked thoughtful for a moment and said, "Don't think I've seen anyone named Kjalarr around here." He contemplated asking for this Kjalarr wolf's looks, but then realised he didn't really give a fuck whether they found him. He didn't know what 'search for lodgings' was but he guessed, since it had the word search in it, that it had something to do with finding this Kjalarr-wolf.
459 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Arrille's face brightened up, expecting the answer he hoped for. Did this wolf know his father? Was this their chance at finding him? His ears pricked up, as he awaited the answer...Then they fell to the sides of his head. This wolf did not know his father. He glanced up at Maude, trying to search Maude's face for an answer, something for their next move.
317 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
Away
Just like Arrille, she is excited at the prospect of seeing Kjalarr again or just any sign of them, but it falls flat. There's nothing. She furrows her brow, a deep frown crossing her face. Ok. Er. 'ow 'bout a big muscular wolf wit' three scars on 'is face? Silver on top an' sandy legs on t'bottom? Kinda like dis tyke? She gestures to Arrille, hoping the visual resemblance was enough to jog some memory or something in this guy.

starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
As Charon's eyes fell onto the child, it was as if seeing it for the first time. Charon's eyes widened as he realised with a start how much the boy looked like Flóki, to match the description Maude gave. "Flóki?!" he asked, hope in his voice, awaiting the answer with bated breath, hoping it to be so... Until he realised the name given, and then he realised that Jorunn had changed his own name. He didn't remember if it was into Kjalarr, but it seemed much more likely that it was Jorunn they were looking for.

"Oh, Jorunn..." Disappointment was audible in his voice. "Yes, he was my brother. His name was Jorunn when he lived with us, but I haven't seen him in..." Since he'd left Moonspear because he couldn't take authority. "A long time. Sorry." He wasn't sure why he even said sorry, because it wasn't like there was anything he'd done wrong, but before he knew it it was out.
459 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Arrille was ready to leave. But Maude seemingly hadn't given up. She went on to describe his father, and very accurately. And then, the alpha seemed to know exactly who they meant, however Arrille had never heard his father be named Jorunn. So not only had he hidden the fact of his sisters, but also another name, an uncle he knew nothing about.

"So...does that make you my...my uncle?" he asked curiously, peering up at the pale wolf. The boy went on. "He's gone missing. Left me and my mother...She never went looking so myself and Maude went...Do you know where he could be?" he asked the white wolf. He felt that if he explained everything, then the alpha would understand. Plus, he felt it necessary.
317 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
Away
Maude's face twisted at the strange sounding name. Floki? She parroted, mispronouncing it. It was a mistake, but it tipped her off, wondering if this Floki was a relative or lookalike of Kjalarr. But then there was another foreign name, but she was certain they were talking about the same guy now. Even if the name was different.

She wondered why Kjalarr had two names, one for his family and one for the rest of the world. She wondered, her heart having been filled with bitterness over the past months, if he was lying about something. Half a year ago she would have laughed at herself for such a thought, but now? Her thoughts turned dark and vengeful, sour from the distance between them.

She didn't speak, knowing that the child, by default, had a tighter bond with the stranger. She simply looked to him expectantly, wondering what he would say.

starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
"Flóki's Jorunn's brother, they look identical," Charon explained when the stranger asked him about his slip of the tongue. He imagined that if they knew Jorunn, he surely would've told them about his brother at some point. They'd always been close. But maybe he had decided to simply stop mentioning any of his family after he'd been cast from Moonspear forever when he had decided to leave.

The child spoke, and Charon looked at him, listening to what he had to say. Having fathered children himself had made him softer towards the young. Only when he cast the boy another look did Charon realise the striking resemblance to his father (and did he realise who the boy's father must be at all). Though he would've much rather be an uncle to a child of Flóki's than Jorunn's (who he'd more or less cast from his family, after all) Charon was still happy to meet the boy. With a friendly smile he told the boy, "I suppose that does make me your uncle, and you my nephew."

Charon listened to what else the boy said and then gave the boy a sympathetic look. He didn't know where Jorunn'd gone, but he also doubted they'd ever see him again. Jorunn was a runner, after all, doomed to keep running away from everyone who cared for him, in Charon's experience. "I don't think you'll see your father again," he said candidly; "Not unless he decides it's time. He's a self-centered little fuck." Charon cast a quick glance at Maude in case he'd be offended that Charon would use such language, before looking back to Arrille. "He left me and Flóki too, when we were younger. When he was little he got lost and we searched everywhere for him, then he returns at last and he tells us we didn't look for him enough. And he took up a new name. Not Kjalarr, uh... I don't even remember, something else — he's always been Jorunn to me. He stayed in the pack for a little while but he couldn't accept authority and spat on my leadership and everything I did to reach out to my long lost brother. It looks like he hasn't changed one bit." There was venom in Charon's words and his hardened face as he spoke of Jorunn, feeling all the anger return now. Jorunn'd always thought he deserved the world when he had done nothing to earn it, and it seemed he had now involved others in his stupid games.
459 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Arrille's own tail wagged, hearing of the fact that this 'Charon' was his uncle made him happy, another relative. Even though he never knew that his father had a brother, let alone two brothers as well. 

He continued to be happy...that was until Charon spoke of why the young Arrille would never find his father again. Arrille glanced up at Maude, watching to see for Maude to tell her this wasn't true. That his father would return. But, did Maude? Maude had already said that she did not know much about his father, not before their meeting at least. And if Arrille's father was never coming back...

His eyes widened, out of fear and sadness. He had left his mother alone. She was alone, and Arrille had left her to find his father that had left. The very same father that never would return. "Mother..." he murmured lightly.
317 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
Away
There was a brief, happy exchange between the now-relatives that Maude felt awkward in. She remained in that awkward situation even as the conversation progressed, the curse barely phasing her, now realizing how fruitless their whole effort was. It frustrated her, because she was led to believe that Kjalarr was nobler than that. Some honorable hero who was probably off on some mission, instead of just some cowering kid. And now she knew better. And now the kid knew better too. 

Maude took one look at Arrille's face and instantly blaunched. Ah, shit. She thought to herself as the boy's happiness faded away. At this point Kjalarr — Jorunn , whoever the fuck — didn't matter anymore. The man's words made it very clear that based on past experience, he wasn't coming back. It hurt Maude, sure, but it hurt even more to see the kid's face after that. 

She didn't know what to do. She didn't feel comfortable enough to embrace him or pick him or whatever mothers do. She looked at him, confused and afraid, before stepping forward and tucking the kid into the crook of her arm, wondering if that was the right thing.

starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Charon had expected the wolves before him to at least say or do something, but they didn't. He only realised what impact his words must've had when he saw the kid's face crumble, and realised that it must be tough to find out what a shitbag your father really is. Charon couldn't relate, since he only had awesome parents, but he could relate to the feeling of disappointment that Jorunn had left him with time and time again.

"Sorry kid, I can't make the truth any prettier," he said with a grimace. He wasn't sure why the kid mentioned his mother, but perhaps it was because his mother missed Jorunn too and he'd have to tell her what a dick move Jorunn'd pulled on them both. The dude that was with the kid moved in to comfort him, which was nice. Charon wouldn't really have known how to react otherwise, feeling inclined to soothe his nephew but at the same time having no real connection to the boy he'd just met. Was this how Mordecai had thought about him when they'd meet? "You're always welcome to visit here whenever you'd like," he offered, feeling that he would do his best to be a better uncle than Mordecai had been.
459 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Arrille felt his ears fall more at Charon's additional words. There was nothing that could help him now, at least that's what he thought. That was until he felt a leg pull him close, and out of surprise if quickly glanced up to see whom did the action to see Maude. 

The boy had grown to trust Maude, despite how they had met at first, and how he barely knew Maude. He pushed his head softly against Maude's chest, but he did not cry. He had to be brave...He had to. And Maude, she had wanted to find Arrille's father as well. 

"I'm sorry we couldn't find him...I know you wanted to see him again" he whispered quietly to Maude. His ear flicked when Charon mentioned that he could visit, but he didn't think much of it.
317 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
Away
The journey she had fancied having ended not in a triumphant return, but with utter disappointment. Maude knew that it was a fool's effort to continue searching for Kjalarr — Jorunn, whatever — at this point. And knowing his provclivity for leaving without a word? No point. His kin didn't even know where the fuck he had been for the past few moons.

The kid pushed against her chest, and she wrapped himself around him as best as she could. Me? Don't worry 'bout me. Yer 'is fookin' kid, an' he just left ye like dat. Her words were mixed with a comforting purr and an angered growl, her emotion clashing before this somewhat related wolf. Speaking of him — she turned to him, and nodded to him. Thanks, mate. We'll keep it in mind, She was itching to return to sea, and perhaps there they would find — she shuddered inwardly — Ondine again. Bitch as she was, she is Arrille's mother, and his only true remaining family here in the Wilds. It didn't seem like he was eager to rejoin with distant relatives that he had never met before.

C'mon, She urged, nodding once more to the wolf before turning away, down the slopes once more.

starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
The kid showed surprising maturity for his age when he comforted the other guy. He let them talk among themselves, giving them their moment. Then they thanked him and made to leave. Charon felt the urge to keep the kid here, as it was a reminder of Floki in many ways; his caring maturity and his looks first and foremost. But he should choose his own path and so Charon let it be.

"You're always welcome to come visit here, or stay, if you want to," Charon repeated, hoping he'd take heart on the offer. "Good luck." He wasn't sure they'd find him, but who knew; he seemed to return from time to time. Charon watched as they left and then continued to patrol along the borders.
459 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Arrille kept his eyes up at Maude's as Maude spoke, and he had to admit, he felt rather cozy. It had been a while since either of his parents had attempted to comfort him in such a way. Then again, he never really had reason to be comforted in such a way. And while Maude may have been right, Arrille had asked to come along, and he felt they had come this way for nothing. With Maude dragging him along behind, slowing them down because of how young the boy was. 

Maude urged the young boy to follow, and with one final glance back, even managing a small smile to Charon at his offer, then went to follow Maude back to wherever maude planned to take him next.