Firefly Ravine Outskirts of paradise
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
All Welcome 
She woke at dawn with an itch in her paws and wanderlust in her heart, feelings she hadn't experienced in quite a while. Wildfire spent the early morning ignoring these sentiments, though as the sun climbed higher in the July sky, she couldn't help herself. She informed @Thuringwethil of her desires and promised to be back no later than nightfall. She wished she could take the kids with her but they were still too young to travel very far. Wildfire left it all behind, crossing the borders into the surrounding wilderness and taking a deep breath of the wild air.

She spent the middle of the day exploring the forest just south of the coast, hunting just enough small game to keep herself fed before moving further inland. When she reached a small river bend, she began to trot along its winding bank, emerging from the tree line onto a landscape somewhere between a field and a marsh. She stuck close to the water, threading along its silty shore, only stopping when she came to the lip of a deep ravine.

The ranger lowered her belly to the ground, her forefeet dangling over the ledge as she peered at the rushing waters below. Her ears flicked—batting away pesky flies as much as in response to the surrounding noises—and she let out a quiet huff of contentment as she noticed the sun beginning its westward journey over the distant sea.
/ | \
197 Posts
Ooc — Melee
She had traversed near this place many times in her past, but she had no memory of it. Nor did she expect to see a particular rock or tree and have the floodgates of her childhood open; as far as Morrighan knew, this was the first that she had walked on this particular stretch of earth. It was beautiful, and comforting in a different kind of familiarity, too-- she could just barely hear the crash of waves in the distance, could smell brine in the air. She had no memory of this place, but the ocean was the same everywhere.

As the sun moved westward over the sky, casting light to the east over her right shoulder, the dark she-wolf happened to glance toward the sound of a rushing river. A flame sat upon the overhang of a ravine, though it behaved like no flame Morrighan had ever known-- with brows furrowed and her curiosity piqued, the yearling moved toward it to investigate. She realized her mistake in short order, as the distinct features came into focus and identified the fiery shape as canine.

"Hello," she greeted the other, though when she halted it was a healthy distance away. "Are you looking for something?" Morrighan wondered aloud, not quite understanding the fiery she-wolf was merely enjoying the view.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Thanks for rescuing!

Mosquitoes and gnats joined their larger insect cousins and Wildfire frowned. Although it was pretty here and she would love to linger, the reality was that she was sitting next to a body of water on a hot, humid July evening. Of course the bugs were out in force. With a sigh, she reluctantly pushed into a sit, then stood. She peered down into the gorge as she shook out her pelt, then froze when she suddenly noticed fireflies beginning to wink into sight—hundreds if not thousands of them.

"W—" she murmured to herself, only for a voice to cut across her. She whipped around a little more dramatically than intended, lips pursing as she peered at the black she-wolf. She was familiar, though Wildfire couldn't place her, even after an awkwardly long pause. "Do I know you?" she blurted, then remembered she'd been asked a question. "No, I'm just enjoying the fresh air." A gnat whined directly in her ear. "And the wildlife."
/ | \
197 Posts
Ooc — Melee
It was uncomfortably muggy, and the insects were out in little clouds -- Morrighan's own ears twitched near constantly, in an attempt to startle the mosquitos off. They always seemed to gravitate toward the least-furred parts of her, and she itched for days afterward. She wasn't sure if she preferred the cool night and bugs, or the scorching days and occasional fly or bee. Each had their own curse, and Morrighan was used to them both. Alone, she had devised her own strategies for dealing with such things.

At the moment, the cooling sunset and potential for conversation far outweighed the inconvenience of an itchy nose for the next week. She nearly skipped back at the others' startled reaction, though soon their hackles both settled when they each realized there was no danger. "I don't think so," she responded, almost apologetically. "I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've been here."

After a beat, "Isn't the air fresh... everywhere?"
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
The recognition was unrequited and Wildfire didn't linger on it. She had crossed paths with dozens of black wolves in her day, so perhaps this one simply resembled another. The sense of familiarity was so vague that it was easy to believe that was the case.

Her lips twitched into a smile at the question. "Well, yeah, though it can sometimes get rather dank around my kids," she quipped. "So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm enjoying the fresh air, the peace and quiet, the solitude... not that I mind your company," she added. "I just haven't gotten out much since they were born and I didn't realize how much I missed traveling."

She was getting ahead of herself, as usual. "I'm Wildfire, by the way," she offered in way of introduction after ceasing her small ramble.