Northstar Vale -- the disappearance of the girl
558 Posts
Ooc —
Master Therapist
All Welcome 

Thunder rolled.  Although dawn had broken, darkness loomed over the horizon.  A dense thicket of fog clutched the bay, and the silhouette of a young girl washed upon the sands.

Fits of coughing and retching assaulted her gut and windpipe, her water-congested snout cleared out thoroughly by now-dribbling mucus and vomit.  While eventually these symptoms relinquished their hold on the woman, the pain did not.  A storm brewed inside of her like the one that had just left her so damaged, lightning striking  every time she moved — her long silky coat sticky with salt and grit a crushing weight to bear.  Then the shivering set in, wicking the last energy her muscles might have had.  She slept.

The woman's clouded mind was unable to process just how much time had passed since her arrival, but the first thing that struck her was that it didn't hurt anymore.  There was pain, yes, but it had not the fierce and unbridled tenacity that it'd once had.  She braced her feeble, willowed frame against the sand and took the mighty effort to hoist herself up.  From there it was instinct that would lead her, blindly, away from the seas that had mistreated her so and towards more unknown wilds and though she lacked personal direction or a sense of who she was, she trekked anyway.

The she-wolf's indeterminate wanderings led her deep into Teekon.  She had passed many scents in her journey and though she tended to stay downwind of the clusters of smell her heart rang out — find me, find me, find me! every time she crossed the path of someone who was an almost to her; almost an encounter, almost a friend, almost a sign of life.  She was unsure why the fibers of her being rang out to those she knew not when her mind, her instinct told her to steer clear of strange wolves.  But then again she knew little more about herself than she did about these almosts; she could recall her call name — Seabreeze — yet no surname came to mind.

These wayward thoughts came to a rest as she came to what seemed to be the borders of yet another territory.  Perhaps it was ignorant to continue her venture forth, but where else were she to go?  Seabreeze kept her pace, though she altered her course to stay along the edge of the borders.  She would find a place to bed down, not wanting to intrude on anyone else's space.  Either they would find her resting at the borders, or she would be able to tarry here and catch a few meals before she headed.. well, elsewhere.
[Image: 70c0c50922211f79c19a9fbb2dbe797a.png]

Ghost
he came and stole the wild
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Thanks again for starting! Welcome to the game.

A peculiar scent upon the border had caught Rannoch's attention in the midst of his patrol. A wave of salt came to the wide-set male by way of the Summer breeze, alerting him of the wolf that lingered at the boundaries of his territory. Whoever it was carried the smell of the ocean, the sharp bite of salt that Rannoch had once carried on his pelt, and he was intrigued to see what a sea-dwelling was doing on his borders. 

The two crossed paths eventually, probably sooner than it would have naturally panned out given Rannoch's curiosity, and when he caught sight of her, he halted his pace and allowed a distance between them. "You tread close to my borders," he informed as he called out her, his posture lifted to indicate his standing in their exchange.
a crime so old as the sky and bone
he came untied, solid as a stone
all is almost lost and it starts to show
558 Posts
Ooc —
Master Therapist
It's my pleasure.  Thank you for letting me stumble upon Northstar Vale!  Did I post this in the right place?
Also, I'm going to go ahead and post again.  @Mato is still welcome!

The encounter came sooner than she was prepared for.  Had she been more clear of mind, she would have been respectful and lifted a howl to summon the alpha and arrange something — how stupid it was of her to just let them stumble upon her. But even this did not occur to her at the moment.  If one's gaze were to linger on Seabreeze long enough the fact of the matter was clear; the yearling was thin, battered with wounds and her expression fearful and feral.  His stance and scent were powerful. "I am king," they said, "This land is my land."  The placid and mild-mannered woman began to shiver in the brute's shadow, lips pulled back as a small rrr caught in ther throat, evolving into a whine.  The noise was not aggressive but for a moment it was the most she could muster for him.  She went to curl her legs up underneath her willowy frame, ready to launch herself away if need be, but the movement was enough for the pain to come back and she yowled.

I'm sorry— the words rushed out of her, emptying her lungs as she gasped. There was no sense in feigning ignorance; the smell of the Vale was strong even on their borders. I can leave; I took nothing from your land.

More words came forth from her, cascading from her lips, aching and desperate — Please, please don't hurt me.  She knew not where such raw emotion came from, but the sensation of drowning came forth once more and inwards she panicked, now visibly quaking.

his crown was ever changing made as it was by leaves and berries of the season
228 Posts
Ooc —
Mato almost did not venture to the area of the borders where the scents of Rannoch mingled with that of a stranger, presuming that his Haran had it well in control; it was the yowl of pain that drew the imperial druid to the scene. Umbra hackles dusted along his spine bristled with unease, ready to jump to Rannoch’s defense only to see that the sound did not come from the stalwart leader of the Vale but instead from the thin woman shivering at the borders. Mato moves to stand near Rannoch, adjusting his posture so that it is lower than his superior’s as the starlit empyrean observes the woman as she stutters out an apology and proclaims she took nothing from their lands and then, most interestingly, begged that they not harm her.

The eloquent imperial held steadfast to his silence, as he cast his leader a look before his gaze slides back to the woman, curious as to how Rannoch will react, how he deigns to handle her. In a way, she reminds him of the young boy that had recently came to their borders, except this woman’s perfume is tainted heavily with the scent of salt and sea brine and it tickles the desire to adventure to that which he has not yet seen. He’s never been to the coast and he has a sudden and fierce desire to witness the magnificence for himself as opposed to living vicariously through the words of others; but now is hardly the time to ponder such a trip. His lips part to speak, to ask her what her name is, but he refrains if because Rannoch is present and it seems as if that is a task that should belong to the Alpha and not Mato.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
His presence shook her; that much was evident. Upon arrival, the woman curled into herself as asserted both himself and the lands he protected. The Alpha was thankful that the woman was not arrogant in her position, as he would have had to act further to ensure that she was aware that this was his. It was as this satisfaction struck that she yowled and her sudden scream jolted him. His guard hairs stood on edge as his, and he looked over her intently, wondering just what had gone awry. Even with her close vicinity to his family, Rannoch was a wolf with a bleeding heart and felt concern as her discomfort. Though he knew now was not the time to address her injury, as formalities still needed to be exchanged, the burly wolf decided that it would be something he would address when the moment was right. 

It was both this reasoning and Mato's sudden presence at his side that helped calm him considerably, as he soon reverted to his original standing. "I will not hurt you," he began, hoping this would calm him enough to get a coherent answer out of her; his eyes bearing into her despite his gentle tone. "But I need you to answer this: what are you doing so close to my territory?" After all, the Vale was a distance from the shoreline that bore the salt and brine that she carried so strongly on her pelt.
558 Posts
Ooc —
Master Therapist

The presence of yet another wolf washed over her and she cringed, though interally this time.  The thought came to her once more that she was lucky to have come across a pack who did not kill trespassers on sight.  What ignorance, what a lapse of judgment on her part.

The overbearing sense of panic abated but her brain was still clouded.  Her words came out clunky so unlike her elegance. I — I washed ashore from the ocean.  I don't remember; I don't think I've ever been here before.  She took a deep breath and ducked her head, ears glued to the back of her skull. All that comes to me is drowning.

She battled fear once more, waves of emotion washing over her.  The yearling's internal storm was breaking up to allow the light of coherency, but only so often.

Suddenly, the girl was stricken and embarrassed by her condition.  I apologize for not sending out a call.  My memory, my self is not as it should be right now.  She rolled off of her hip and winced, biting back another whine and bowed to them both, facing the one who was obviously in higher stature.

I am Seabreeze.

228 Posts
Ooc —
short post is short but i wanted to get this up before i went to work! :-)

Mato ghosts closer to Rannoch, muscles tense as his emerald gaze remains locked upon the sea-faring woman who shivers before them. Rannoch assures her that he would not hurt her but demands that she give answer as to what she is doing so close to his borders. She speaks that she has been washed up, that the sea tried to drown her. The empyrean spared a glance at Rannoch, to assess his facial expressions as she offers explanation before Mato’s gaze flickers back to the female as she rolls off her hip and bows to them. The druid favors silence — likely the longest the eloquent imperial has ever gone without talking — for there is no occasion for him to speak but to offer his own name, yet he does not because it feels wrong to speak before Rannoch who is the superior between the gathered triad.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Seabreeze's story left Rannoch wondering just what she had done to be consumed by the ocean. In his time upon the shore, he had been offered the briny depths as per the ritual of his captors. To this day, Rannoch could remember the sensation breaking the surface only to be surrounded by ocean water. Vidivdly, the Alpha could recall the feeling of drowning despite his best efforts and the sense of hopelessness that had ensued as he had fought for his life. He shuddered at this short memory, growing sympathetic of what the stranger had experienced. 

The only question Rannoch presently had was how she had gotten to his Vale. If his memory served him correctly, the ocean was a few days travel from their lands. It was a rough trip for any wolf, let alone a wolf who had just experienced the trauma of treading potentially dangerous waters. With a look a curiosity, the Alpha stole a look of his guardian before returning his sight to the shivering woman before them. 

"So from the ocean, what brought you to my borders?" He asked, his body tight with the tension of his responsibility to protecting his wolves.
558 Posts
Ooc —
Master Therapist
Once again, the woman spoke nothing but the truth.  She wished no harm on these men or their lands, but was becoming a bit frustrated — more with her lack of memory than the other wolves. Instinct.

She drew a breath and brought forth the pain-soaked journey, trying to make the travel coherent in her mind. I needed to get away from the ocean for it had betrayed me.  I traveled inland, driven by fear and hunger and pain.  I had no destination or mission other than to roam.

Her eyes flicked between them and she shifted her weight uncomfortably between her forelegs.  Once again I must apologize.  I am quite lucky that such ignorance did not lead me to a pack that simply kills trespassers on sight.. though I understand you are not through with me, I do plead for mercy.

The yearling ducked her head in shame and embarrassment, awaiting some kind of reprimand.

288 Posts
Ooc — KJ
You don’t have to acknowledge him! And you can skip him. He’s just being a brother. [hears squeals of rust as she posts with him]

Cypress emerged from the treeline without fanfare or ceremony, his tall frame and long limbs moving with controlled, almost mechanical precision. He approached Rannoch first as was appropriate, lips peeling back as he bestowed upon the underside of his littermate’s jaw a respectful wolf kiss, and then he turned to Mato. Tapered muzzle dipped in greeting as his heavily-feathered tail swept the air in a measured display of friendliness. In the summer heat he panted lightly, but his expression did not bear the typical “smile” of a panting canid. The ruined left corner of his mouth dipped down in a half-grimace, and he fixed Seabreeze with a scrutinizing stare that gave away nothing but the suggestion that he was fascinated by her. He did not speak, allowing Rannoch to call the shots, but his posture was neutral and largely untroubled. Only the way he lightly leaned one shoulder against Rannoch’s hip betrayed any kind of emotion from the stoic guardian — it was a supportive gesture, cut with a low, murmuring rumble.
228 Posts
Ooc —
The empyrean offers the stranger his rapt attention as she answers Rannoch’s questions without pause or hesitancyy. This, the druid takes to be a good sign. There is a sincerity to her words then, that she does not have to pause to think of her replies. Mato holds not familiarity with the sea and thus he does not know the havoc it can wreak upon both land and body — though he does know that one cannot drink the saltwater for it will bring about dehydration and if enough is consumed that it can cause death. Cypress arrives on the scene then, distracting the star-kissed druid from their visitor and sage, respectful nod given to the austere Frostfur as he takes his place at Rannoch’s side before Mato’s gaze back to the female that has named herself as Seabreeze.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
From what Rannoch could tell, Seabreeze was no threat to his home or his pack. Despite this assumption, the Alpha kept his front as he listened to her painful recollection of how she had happened upon the Vale. It was at this time that his ebony-haired sibling joined him and in the midst of it all, and he turned briefly to acknowledge his arrival before returning his attention to the lone wolf.

With the ball in his court, the Alpha took a moment to consider what he could do next. There was an array of options at his disposal, and none of them had any substantial reprimandents for him. He would be okay if she were dead or alive. But, given his flawed sense of hospitality, Rannoch did not consider the former as an option. No, he remained confident in his assumption that she'd live on for many more moons. 

"What are your plans now that you're here?" he inquired, a look of curiosity lingered on his young features. He was all too aware of the fact that the woman before them needed medical attention and food and was in no condition to seek these things on her own. Perhaps, he dared to think, that she may possess a skill that they could use in turn of the bounty that the Vale had to offer. "My wolves can provide what you need to survive what you're going through. But, in turn, we would need you to both contribute and defend the honor of our pack. We don't give out freebies." He reclined onto his haunches then, his posture tight as he stared the stranger down as he wondered what she would make of his offering. "We would also ask you to be respectful of our neighbor's borders," he added on, biting back an uncharacteristically sharp comment, "but I assume some sleep and good food will get you right in your thinking and that mistake won't happen again." Despite the sun that shone in his aquaramarine eyes, his tone was foreboding, as if giving her a clear warning of what may happen if she did make the mistake again.
558 Posts
Ooc —
Master Therapist
flashback ex machina so she can answer some of his questions..... oops

Seabreeze felt an uncharacteristic hotness rise up from her stomach and tingle in her cheeks, whiskers flicking to betray her obvious offense.  Still she said nothing.  It was not polite and she needed to prove herself.  Her tail flicked uncomfortably; although she didn't have any violent intentions the more wolves appeared, the worse her stomach turned.

His question spurred her into thinking — just what should she do?  She thought for a moment and remembered, vaguely, nurturing small pups and their mother. I expect no freebies. I know not the wolves of your pack and their specific needs, but I wish to become a midwife or counselor of sorts.  Until I earn my trade, after I heal I can hunt and provide just as the others do.

Her lips turned down, soured, and she swallowed a cunning remark before it came up.  How about he try getting swept from all he knew, half-dead and washed up on a beach, and then make his way to wherever the hell this was and still be coherent? I would hope so.  Once I am capable of moving around, someone should tell me more about the culture of your pack.  Until then, if you would be so kind, I will offer my everything if you would lead me on.

228 Posts
Ooc —
you can probably skip mato from here on out. ^-^

The haloisi — the only word Mato could summon for the woman borne of the sea — seeks to explain herself, especially when she is greeted with Rannoch’s satiric tone. Something that which has the star kissed druid taken aback in mild surprise. Mato does not think he has ever recalled hearing Rannoch ever use such a tone before; but quietly he remains the observer and if it is needed: the mediator.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Despite his natural friendliness, Rannoch had somehow allowed a snide remark cross his lips. Though embarrassed, he did not allow such feelings to surface and instead remained vigilant in his hardened appearance. In due time he would come to Bre's side to apologize for his loose tongue. But, for now, he remained as he was as Seabreeze explained herself further and vouched for her placement among the wolves of the Vale. 

"Alright. I will accept you as my Kappa," he decided after collecting both the facts and how he felt on the matter. At the end of the day she was young, relatively healthy, and willing; all aspects that Rannoch found desirable in a potential pack member. Standing, he looked at her with concern, his facade breaking as he spoke. "Will you need help walking? Or are you good to do so on your own?" He was more than willing to help her if she needed.

With the offer, the wolves made their way into the Vale as Rannoch introduced Seabreeze to the place she would now call home. He would take the time to ensure that she got a meal and was taken after before leaving her that evening and once they departed, Rannoch returned to the borders to ensure that they were freshened.