Larksong Grotto i've got this restless ache at the center of me
even hell is holy
460 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 

Her footsteps are slow and weary by the time she makes the climb downward into the grotto. She’d destroyed the path on the way down through several trips and stumbles, leaving her front legs nicked and marred. A quick inhale of breath, holding, and slow release gives her another burst of short energy that she uses to explore the expanse of the grotto. It is free of snow and ice as the last few territories and she dares to even admit it’s a little warmer. The sun beats on her back, causing a little warmth to spread throughout the rest of her body. A fallacy of comfort washes over her and she closes her eyes, enjoying the rays against her face.

One ear twitches and she shakes her head, bringing her mind back to reality. A thick patch of weeds and grasses several yards ahead move to and fro, causing her legs to kick into gear. Whatever it is, it is about to meet it’s maker. Based on the scurrying sounds beneath her feet and movements, Cascada launches forward to the projected spot in order to trap the creature beneath her. Even if it is a mouse, Cascada will take what she can get, but as she settles and opens up her paws to reveal…

… a whole lotta nothin’.

The girl sighs, whimpers once, and slowly lowers her head to her paws so she may take a moment to compose herself again.
do you want to break me like you were fourteen
and someone dared you to break the law?
44 Posts
Ooc —
Téigh, ceann óg, agus ar eachtra a lorg.

Those words pushed the selkie onward, the constant echo of an elder being’s voice ringing through her head. It was with her skin clasped tightly between her jaws that she’d departed initially, driven away by her own youthful curiosities. That first adventure, however, had ended in failure, for nearly had her previous skin been lost forever. Stolen from and on the verge of being forced into marriage, the at-the-time yearling had felt as if the world was against her. It was only by sheer luck that Muirgen had managed to both retrieve her skin and flee back to her homeland, where she’d stayed for several years alongside her family. But, as the years had gone by, she’d grown restless, seeking to venture out once again and see the world. So, after being taught a few tricks and hearing some encouraging words from her various family members, the now-young woman set off to experience life just as any being should.

Somewhere during her journey, Muirgen lost sight of the ocean. Several years ago, she would have panicked but, now, she simply drew in a deep breath and pressed onward, knowing that she would eventually interact with Lir once again. Until then, she trekked onward, seal skin still within her grasp, having unknowingly entered the very same wilderness that she’d fled from so long ago.

It was with a moderate amount of skill that she ventured along the ridges and outcroppings, finding them to be similar to the rockiness of the Bay—but similar was not the same as identical, resulting in her having stumbled and nearly fallen several times over. No matter, she always managed to find her footing shortly after and was eventually rewarded after entering the grotto itself. For there beyond the danger laid beauty, as well as sustainability. Continuing along, her joy was short-lived as a commotion nearby sent her into defense-mode, jaws tightening around her precious skin—and yet, in spite of her uncertainty, she tiptoed forward, rather than turning tail and running for the hills. Pushing through the various flora of the territory, she soon found herself looking towards a wolf, at whom she stared out of sheer curiosity—what had happened to the other?
even hell is holy
460 Posts
Ooc —
Cascada feels the ache in her bones as exhaustion settles in its place. Losing the meal does little to help but she shifts, adjusting her posture from the former failure. She drops her heads and grooms the fronts of her legs, trying to soothe the tired bones beneath her skin. Perhaps it was a bad idea to leave Undersea, especially when she hadn’t been in great form. It is too late to go back at this point so for now she continues to push herself onward.

A flash of grey catches her eye and she peers between her legs, slowly uncurling herself and turning around to face the strange wolf inching closer. Something is held in their mouth but as much as she squints, she can’t determine what it is. Cascada chuffs and swishes her tail, letting the other know it is fine to continue.
44 Posts
Ooc —
Noticed, it was with the expectation of being shooed away that she glanced elsewhere, only to realise soon enough that she was being welcomed. Still curious, her legs continued forward, stopping again when she was just beyond the wolf’s reach. There she felt comfortable enough to loosen her grip on the seal skin and lay it at her feet, one of which that then was placed atop it firmly. And over her lips was her tongue then drawn, readying her to speak after having been silent for so long. Yet, it is not without trouble that she attempted to communicate, for the first thing to leave her mouth was, An bhfuil tú gortaithe? After which she patiently awaited an answer for several long seconds, only to have eventually realised the mistake made with her tongue; having been at the Bay for so long, she’d all but forgotten that the common tongue was not the same as her family’s, and that she must be mindful of her words.

Clearing her throat, Muirgen began again as she said, “I’m sorry. Are you hurt?” This time, she made certain to speak only in what she recalled as being the most frequently spoken language, knowing that she had a better chance of being understood that way. Again, she waited for an answer, eyes slowly trailing over the girl’s body as she did so. Should there be any wounds, she hoped to locate them—not because she was at all capable of mending that which may be broken, but simply because she felt concerned for the life of another.
even hell is holy
460 Posts
Ooc —
When greeted, the other speaks up and Cascada absorbs the words before she realizes they are not in a tongue she recognizes. Her ears fall back and she tightens her jaw, uncertain what to make of what she’s just encountered. She opens her mouth to say something, to question her… or something, but the other clears her throat and apologizes, switching awkwardly to words she does finally recognizes. Cascada tightens her jaws and tries to relax, feeling suddenly out of place. “No, I’m okay,” she says, the lie easily slipping from her teeth as if she’s said it a thousand times. Her body has thinned more than ever before, each rib more prominent than the last and her struggle only continues. The girl offers a weak, hollowed smile before brushing it off. “I should go. Someone is waiting for me,” she informs and, carefully, begins to walk away from the woman.