Mudminnow River Early Wolf Gets the Cat-fish
631 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Medic
All Welcome 
Pema's first steps into the Teekon Wilds had brought her to Mudminnows River. She had been traveling West and following water always seemed like a smart think to do. It provided water for her and the other creatures that she may call her dinner, aswell as fish that she was thinking of having for breakfast. On her travels she hadn't been short of food and so she often would let prey wonder by, but these waters were filled with something special. Aside from the abundant amount of minnows, Pema could see catfish swimming around. Their lighter colored fins and whiskers helped her find them in the murky colored water. 

The water never seemed still as rock and dirt fell into the water from up the bank feeding the water and the vegitation around it. Pema walked around smelling the vegitation and trying to name all the ones she could remember. The succulent's were previlent as many creatures chose to avoid eating the bitter flavored leaves. 

After a short while of exploration Pema thought it was time to catch her breakfast. Stepping into the water and unsettleing the mud on the rivers floor and the minnows swimming around. She waited patiently as the dirt settled and the minnows resumed swimming. Standing still, as to not startle any upcomming prey she waited for a catfish to come by. When one came into sight she julted her head into the ground with her mouth open to try and clamp down onto her prey. Sadly this first attemp wasn't successful and she recieved a mouthful of dirt which she proceeded to spit out into the water. 

After throwing a small fit over the dirt in her mouth she resumed her focus and stood still in the water waiting for another chance to strike.
you are loved, you are loved more than you know
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Having marked the moon at the third quarter, Nanook felt comfortable leaving Easthollow for her usual path of excursion and exploration. She guessed another week minimum before her sister's pups would arrive, and she was privy to squeeze as much venturing in as she could before that time. She would only keep herself nearby once the moon blinked from the sky.

Nanook followed the trail of a weasel of sorts, having honed the path at the edge of Lost Creek Hollow. The scent brought immediate intrigue, for reasons other than food: Nanook had once watched one such mustelid from a distance, as they twisted and turned after a rabbit much larger than they. Nanook hadn't seen the end of their pursuit, only heard the death cries of the rabbit - and she had harboured an admiration for the small and rowdy creature ever since. Today she hoped she would cross another like display. Instead, she found distraction in fresh tracks of a different sort: a wolf.

Nanook lifted her gaze to meet the tan figure, partly submerged and not far from her place on the shore. The woman looked in some sort of fit - spitting and clearing her mouth. Two and two together, an unsavoury fish? Nanook crooked her head and completed the ground between them. The other woman held a stance of intense concentration, and Nanook chose to still her words. Rather, her stare bore against the other with doubled intensity to make up for every unspoken thought.
with every heartbeat I have left
I will defend your every breath, I promise
I'll do better
631 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Medic
Pema continued to stare at the water and the fish that seemed to be just barely out of her reach. She wanted to wait for one that was just in the right spot so the next time she put her mouth in the water at least their would be a fish in her jaws along with the mucky water. While she stood she could hear food steps approaching and her ears swiveled in the direction it came from. Her eyes and head turned in the same directions a few moments later to see a female standing before her with a paculiar look on her face. She looked at Pema and it seemed that her expression was towards her. Not saying anything she just stared and so Pema greeted her wanting to break this possibly awkward silence between the two.

"Hello there. Come to fish too?" she asked wondering what else one might do in a swampy place like this. She still stood still and kept her voice smooth. The fish were under water and would most likely not be able to hear what the two were waying to be scared. She took frequent glances at the water, still hoping that one would come along at just the right spot.
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Sorry for taking forever! School's proved busier than expected.

"Gosh, no." Nanook shook her head, firm and sure. Fishing had never been her strong suit, nor something she particularly enjoyed. While slogging through water lent her no discomfort, and though she counted herself a relatively patient creature, the sheer task of stilling and waiting for things as slippery as fish brought a restlessness to her body and mind. Fishing proved a tedious necessity, one she stayed away from unless the waters were her only source of food.

"No, I'm looking for someone." Perhaps the woman could help her. The fisher looked a bit preoccupied with what she was looking for herself, casting continual glances into the water's depths, but her curiosity pressed stronger than courtesy. After all, the tan one had been first to break the comfort of silence. "A weasel." She clarified. "His trail comes this way. You haven't seen him, have you?"
I'll do better
631 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Medic
I know the feeling.

A weasel? Something Pema was not expecting the female to say. Especially as though the weasel was someone rather then something. Weasels usually didn't seemed to be a prefered mean for wolves, but different taste buds means different preferences. "No I havn't seen a weasel go by..." she continued by asking, "Are you looking to catch him to talk to him?" she asked with a light laugh on her breath expecting her to be hunting the creature and simply following his trail. 

Her focus shifted from the water to the female. She could pause from her hunting, knowing that the fish would be there after the two had a chance to talk. "My name is Pema by the way." she introduced herself.

354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Nanook blinked, surprised at the accuracy of the guess - but felt a sting when the woman coupled her words with an unexpected noise: laughter. Nanook's ears tipped askew, and she flinched, before she guarded herself with narrowed eyes and a cold shy of her shoulder. "Yes."

Yet the woman seemed in a pleasant mood, and had even turned to fix her attention on the conversation they shared. Pema. She heard the name, but the word wouldn't stick. The laugher still baited her thoughts, and they bit down like fish to the lure. Nanook forgot the courtesy of offering her name in return, or any conversational pleasantries, for that matter. She drew her paw to mid air, and let her forepaw hover, undecided if she should approach any closer. "Why did you laugh?"
I'll do better
631 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Medic
She had offered up the perposal of conversation with the weasel as a joke, but it seemed that was exactly what this female had in mind. Pema's laughter fell to a rest. She had heard of wolves choosing to become friends with others animals, but the realationships she had heard about were usually with bears of other large creatures, not usually animals that were so commonly seen as food. 

The female narrowed her eyes and asked why it was Pema was laughing. "I didn't think you actually expected that to be the right answer. Sorry. I don't mean to make fun. Most wouldn't have said yes." she said. Hoping that she hadn't offended this female. 
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Nanook searched the woman for any deception, but genuine honesty seemed to drive her apology. Though a spike of ire still wormed against the Apaata's heart and pressed her to lash in hot retort, she breathed a deep breath and considered the offence, as the wizened old naturalist she'd marched with in the North had tried to teach her. She glanced at the ground, the weighing her options transcribed in the gradual pinch of her brow.

"Okay," she finally said, a touch defeated and more in a mutter to herself than to anyone else's ears. Nanook sighed, and turned her head to face the woman again, repeating now for Pema's sake, "Okay." And she fell quiet and glanced at the ground - for a second. 

"But you would want to talk with them too, once you've really watched them." Nanook retorted, against her prior decision.
I'll do better
631 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Medic
She seemed to accept Pema's apology, but only after taking a few soothing deep breaths. It really spoke volumes as to how passionate she was about other creatures. Something Pema found to admire. Not the passion for animals specifically, but for anyone having a deep passion in anything they do. It shows true dedication in Pema's book. 

She took a few steps to walk out of the water, not wanting to be rude and appear that she had better things to do in her fishing stance. "Have you talked to this weasel before, or have you only watched so far?" Pema asked when she commented about the desire to talk to them after watching them, rather then talking about an actual conversation with one. 
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
"Only watched," she admitted, with a sidelong dart of her gaze. But she snapped her eyes quickly back up to settle on Pema again. "But once I find him, I'll fix that." And if his words came in garbled strings and everything but wolfish, that too would prove a valuable study, albeit an unexpected one.

With her temper on the cool and her mind decided the woman meant no harm, Nanook tipped her head, thoughtful. "Do you speak any languages other than our own?" She knew others did - her own father, for one, and Xan to a lesser extent. Nanook herself had picked up a scattered array of phrases and words both from Kove and her ventures North, but considered herself nowhere near fluent in anything but the common tongue, and the wild and gestural communication used by those mute or too feral for words.
I'll do better
631 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Medic
So she hadn't spoken to a weasel before. Her companion showed more asperation then experience on the matter, and determination too. When asked if she knew any other languages Pema had to reply, "Sadly no. Though I am always willing to learn what I can." she admitted. 

She had never had the chance to learn a new language, but like most things Pema was eager to learn what she could from anyone will to teach her it. But with her companions question came another silent one that Pema pondered in her mind. Why would Pema need to know another language? Was their a meaning behind the question or what it just random. Thinking to the topic at hand, the weasel, Pema thought about it in reference to that. "Is wolf it's own language?" she asked rather openly. Surely other animals would be able to speak to one another if they needed too. Right?
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Suffice to say, Pema's answer in part disappointed her. Nanook held herself level, the only shift a sideways glance and a subtle bite of her lip. Well and good, that Pema wished to learn, but the Apaata had hoped she would be the one learning something new today.

She lapsed into thought, and a silence passed between them - Nanook unaware of the other's thoughts until Pema's surfaced her voice again. "Of course. Actually..." A slow smiled touched her lips. This was something she knew. "There are many sub-branches of wolf. So many, that sometimes we can't even understand each other."  She gave a dip of her head. "Salutitsinik." She paused. "In my father's tongue, that means hello."
I'll do better