Redhawk Caldera Fishing and Gossiping
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic

As promised, Sebastian readied himself to go fishing with Elwood. Now Burke and Malice left they would have some more margin for the food levels but he was still sad to see them both go. He thought he could make amend with his father but he realized that was never going to happen. With one conflict they went back to their own corners for another boxing match.

He let out a sigh. He howled for Elwood to call him to the river that went through the forest. He hoped that there were some big fish for them to catch. Otherwise, they might have to go to the lake to see if there were any fish around. However, in the lake, it was tougher to catch a fish.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
While things weren't quite back to normal yet, Elwood hoped that their source of food would be replenished soon. Of course, there was always the chance that the herds wouldn't return at all; then what would they do? Leave the caldera? It was something he didn't like to think about, although now that the babies were almost two months old, it seemed more feasible than it would have when they were infants. Either way, he wasn't prepared to make such a drastic decision yet.

Sebastian's call rang out and was a welcome distraction. Elwood set his paws in the direction that the howl had come from, and within minutes his friend was in sight. He glanced at the river threading its way along the forested path near Sebastian and immediately suspected that they would be doing some fishing, as promised. With a grin, Elwood came to a stop. "How's it going?" he asked amiably, searching his companion's face for any signs of grief over his fractured family.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian greeted his friend with some respectful licks and wagging of his tail. He stepped back as Elwood asked how he was doing. "Life is a mess. Ivy left as well, so I only have Ben," he sighed. He glanced at Elwood, sometimes kids couldn't be contained. They wanted their own lives. Though his tiny Ivy. Poor girl. He didn't want her to be alone. There was nothing he could do about it.

Sebastian then sighed and started to walk to the place he intended to fish with Elwood. "Then Mato showed up at Caldera's borders, informing me where he was about to settle with his new pack. Burke and Malice were there as well. They were saying, mostly Burke, that they were allowed to eat. Towhee said some things. But Burke used that to his advantage and told Mato that all of us made him starve. It was ridiculous," he groaned. "I made sure to tell them that it was just a grumpy teenager and that it didn't reflect your opinions. But.. either way. Mato dislikes the Caldera now, and, Burke and Malice left with him."

Sebastian shook his head. It was all a long and tiring story. "Ben and I are still here though. It should help that Burke and Malice left. Though, I feel kind of stupid. I always keep this hope that one day my dad and I will get along but it will never happen. When I defended the caldera he instantly switched back to hating me. He said horrible things,"he sighed sadly. "Kind of Ironic. I had a father that didn't want a family. I am a father that does want a family but none of my kids or mate stick around long enough to become one," he spoke sadly.

Hahaha
Elwood: How is it going?
Seb: *Vomits out all the problems he has in life*

xD
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Poor Sebastian! D:

Sebastian's nonverbal greeting seemed to be cheerful enough, but as soon as he opened his mouth and began to speak, it became evident that his personal life was still in turmoil. Elwood's expression sobered and he took a step back and dropped to his haunches, ears cupped forward to show that he was focused on what his friend was saying.

Although it was all related to his family, some of it was important news that the Alpha side of Elwood stored in his mind for later. Ivy was gone, as well as Burke and Malice -- and whatever the situation was, that was still three less mouths to feed. He also noted that Sebastian's son, Mato, had made some sort of snap judgement against the caldera and now held it in low regard. While this was somewhat concerning, Elwood wasn't the sort of wolf to busy himself with allies and enemies outside of the pack. His family was what mattered to him.

He nodded as Sebastian's sudden flow of words gradually slowed. "I'm sorry about the way things went down with Burke and Malice, but it sounds like they were looking for an excuse to leave, anyway," he said. Never had he or Finley forbidden the elderly couple from eating, nor had they treated them with disrespect during their stay, but there wasn't anything he could do to change their opinions. "But I'm glad you and Ben are still here, and I hope you both plan to stick around. We might not be related by blood, but I do consider you family," Elwood added with a small smile.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
I know. Poor thing. <3

Sebastian felt upset by it all. Always when he thought about these things he started to grow sad. Luckily Elwood's words helped. He had the feeling Burke and Malice didn't like the Caldera. Nova also disliked the caldera as far as he could remember. Might Pearl also have disliked it? She never said so but then why would she leave? Sebastian sighed and nodded. "We are planning to stick around. Thank you, Elwood. I am starting to believe that you are more a true family to me."

Sebastian probably wasn't leaving the Caldera again. He came here to serve Fox and Peregrine and now he was back to serve Elwood and Finley. He hoped at least that the sadness would fade away into happiness. "Andalusia will also stay, luckily," he then added. He pushed himself up. "Shall we walk to the river?"
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
"I'm glad to hear that," Elwood said earnestly, and he meant it. He had been more than happy to take in Sebastian and his family, and while it hadn't worked out for most of them to stay, he was glad to still have Sebastian himself among their ranks. And though he didn't know Ben or Andalusia well, he held them in high esteem as they were important to Sebastian. All he could hope for now was for his friend to find happiness after all of the challenges life had recently dealt him.

When the Gamma stood and indicated that they head to the riverbank, Elwood nodded. "Yes, let's get to fishing," he agreed with a chuff of laughter as he moved alongside his companion.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian was glad to take his mind off things. He could use the distraction at the moment. He walked with Elwood to the river. The large grey male scanned over the water. He saw a few slivers of silver under the surface. It would at least be something at least. Elwood could take this to Finley so she had enough energy to nurse. "Have you fished before?," he asked while stepping into the stream.

Sebastian stood still in the middle and looked at Elwood. He felt like he asked this question before but he forgot how often Elwood fished. Sebastian liked to fish, it was relaxing to him. He peered down into the water. Of course, the fish were gone now, but he knew they would be back as soon as they would get used to them being there.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
As Sebastian waded into the current and asked him a question, Elwood followed. He stepped into the stream a few yards from Sebastian, placing his paws carefully in the water so as not to create a splash. He peered down into the depths for a moment before looking up at the Gamma to respond.

"Yes, but it's been a while," he said; he couldn't even recall the last time he had actually fished. He considered himself to be a fairly well-rounded hunter, although fishing would likely be his weakness. The wolves of the caldera were typically able to sustain themselves with land-bound prey, and hopefully things would return to normal soon.

"Do you have any tips, or do you just like to go for it?" he asked, returning his gaze to the water and tracking the shiny silver scales that slipped past his feet.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian smiled at Elwood as he admitted that he hadn't done it in a long time. "That is alright," he assured his alpha. He looked at his legs as Elwood asked for some tips. Sebastian looked up again and nodded. "Several," he grinned.

He gently moved his paw, only a bit, so air bubbles from under his coat bubbled free. "See those tiny bubbles, sometimes that attracts fish. Usually, they are the tinier ones," he spoke. "Each fish has a different hunting technique. The salmon, for instance, are so busy swimming upstream that it is just, scoop and go. Other fish are more difficult. It is a waiting game most of the time though. When you see a sliver of silver you attack," he spoke.

He paused for a moment. "Oh and never aim at the fish but a bit below it. The water plays tricks with your eyes. I don't understand it but I studied pups fishing and with their bad aim they caught more fish than I did," he chuckled. It was weird but somehow true.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Elwood kept his gaze focused on the water, though his ears turned towards Sebastian. The other male had quite a few pieces of advice to offer, all of which Elwood saved in his memory bank. He glanced around, spotting the telltale bubbles that Sebastian mentioned, and nodded.

"Aim below the fish," he repeated in affirmation. "Got it. Shall we give it a try?" he asked, although he knew they wouldn't be springing into action immediately. As Sebastian said, it was a waiting game; and luckily, Elwood was a very patient wolf. With the water swirling steadily around his legs, he remained stock-still, his eyes the only part of his body moving as they darted attentively back and forth.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian nodded in agreement. He usually could clear his mind when looking for fish. He tipped his muzzle down and stood a bit away from Elwood so they had more chance. He stood still while he watched for the fish to be attracted to his moving coat. The water was rushing under his nose. Sebastian's eyes scanned for the slivers of silver.

He had to wait a moment before they started to appear. First the really small and fast ones. However, they were soon followed by bigger fish. Sebastian slowly moved his muzzle closer and waited again. His eyes looking below for the perfect moment. Suddenly the wolf dove his head down in the water. When he resurfaced he had a fatty fish between his jaws with a bit of a grin. His head moving because the fish was protesting so much. Sebastian moved to the bank and killed the fish there. He sat down to watch Elwood, perhaps he could give his technique some tips.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
Silence fell between the two hunters, save for the sound of the water lapping gently around their legs. Elwood focused on the clear creekbed in front of him, his nose pointed down and ears pressed forward. He didn't so much as twitch his tail. With their similar coloration and size, he and Sebastian likely resembled matching statues, at least from a distance.

There was a splash from downstream and Elwood glanced over with a slight movement of his head to see that Sebastian had seized an opportunity. When the ripples cleared and Sebastian had righted himself again, Elwood smiled at sight of the plump fish clutched between his jaws. He resumed his concentration as his friend stepped out of the water and onto the riverbank to finish off his catch.

A few seconds later, Elwood had his chance. He moved quickly, plunging his muzzle into the stream. Water flooded around his snout and he exhaled to keep it from filling his nostrils. His teeth closed around his target, and he withdrew a moment later with his own fish, smaller than Sebastian's but food all the same.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
Sebastian let out a proud woof as he watched Elwood catch a fish. His tail was wagging. Somehow fishing always helped to cheer him up. The fish he caught was dead by now and they had already two fish to feed the pack with. Sebastian was eager to catch more. "Fish will be good for Finley. I think we might need to catch more so we have a bite for everyone," he suggested.

However, Sebastian was also cautious. It wouldn't be the first time a sneaky fox or raccoon would try to steal his catch while he was out fishing for more. Perhaps they should bring these fish back to Finley first before catching some more. "Perhaps it is best if you bring these two to the pack already. I don't want a fox or raccoon to steal them," he spoke thoughtfully.
2,313 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Tracker
Master Guardian
We can continue or wrap up, either way is fine with me! :)

Grinning around his catch, Elwood turned and waded out of the water, holding his head aloft with his prize clasped carefully between his lips. He approached Sebastian and dropped the fish to the ground, where it squirmed momentarily. Some pressure from his paw was enough to still it in a few seconds, and then Elwood looked up at Sebastian as the male spoke.

He suggested that they continue to fish, but that they also needed to deliver the two they had caught so that scavengers wouldn't take advantage of their hard work. Elwood nodded his agreement. "Good idea. Do you want to keep fishing while I take these to Fin?" he asked, gesturing to the scaled creatures at their feet.
The Gentleman
1,663 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Medic
I shall wrap it up! :D

Sebastian looked up when Elwood asked if he should bring the fish to Finley. Sebastian nodded. "Yes, that might be best. I will continue to fish and distribute it over the pack members," he offered with a smile. The grey male was glad when he could help. If he could catch more fish then the pack would at least some food in their bellies.

"Give her the greetings from me," Sebastian spoke with a smile. He then wagged his tail and stepped back into the river. He caught three more fish after Elwood left and made sure members of their pack would get to share a fresh fish. Hopefully, that would still their hunger for a short while.

-end-