Blacktail Deer Plateau shoot down the moon, straight through the sky
lights • cameraaction
144 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Joining 
The woman reappeared on the scene, no worse for wear but decidedly different. It was clear in everything but her still-ashen pelage, in her demeanor and her walk, to the look upon her face and the curious swish on her plumage. Her entire mien now spoke of Starbelly, not the Indie of yesteryear. Indie was loud and sometimes crass, but Starbelly was distinguished and refined. Indie used her sensuality to ensnare others, while Starbelly was so far above them that any possibility was rendered... irrelevant and uninteresting. Indie came from nothing, was nothing, would be nothing, while Starbelly veiled her past in nonchalant segues. Indie was gone, but Starbelly was here.

Sometimes it scared her; how easily she slipped into the skins of others and could adopt behaviors that soon seemed natural to her. The chanteuse assumed it was the actress in her — the part of her that she would staunchly deny now, but would never truly fade from her soul — that was to blame for this; but when life did not work out as planned, it was always comforting to have an escape route. The woman was too smart not to have one.

The woman needed a home; needed to be around others of her kind. Never before had she entertained this impulse, but Indie was solitary and Starbelly was social. Suddenly, the woman found herself craving the company of wolves she had never met! So after a brief interlude away from the coast, Starbelly found herself nearer once more — and she began to search for the telltale scent of packlands. When one was scented, the dark woman located them upon the plateau and threw to the wind a howl so silken and vivid that it may have been the only vestige of the raconteur that once inhabited this body. 

and then, she waited.
“what a lovely day" says the butcher as she raises her arm 
631 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Medic

When Pema heard the howl of a new wolf she was both annoyed and relieved. Just awhile earlier had the pack had an encounter with another unfamiliar wolf. But that one walts right into their territory and from what Pema heard. At least this one had the courtesy to wait and call from the boarder. It was surprising how many new wolves were finding themselves at or in their borders today. For as long as Pema had been there, there had been no new faces, other then that one female who fell down the mountain. But she hadn't really been here that long anyways.

Though she was fairly new, she felt at home and as though she had a strong place in the pack. So hearing the call from an outsider she was eager to answer the call. Along with any other wolves in the pack that may have heard it and wanted to see what all the camotion was about. When she got to the river that marked their territory she saw a dark female on the other side of it. 

She walked up to the border, the river standing between the two, and greeted her saying, "I heard your call. What can I do for you miss..." she left a blank for the female to insert her name.

lights • cameraaction
144 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
The season was changing and Starbelly would be lying if the approaching cool weather did not drive [at least part] of her desire to join a pack — and lying was not something she did any more! Winter storms were one of her least favorite things to deal with, right after the summer’s torrential downpours and shady men with hidden agendas; basically, she did not appreciate anything that would make her wet and uncomfortable.

Made her wonder how she had ever run with the Nereides and the especially enchanting Akantha.

Before long, a young girl appeared on the opposite bank of the river. Great, a young one — pliable and easily influenced, just as she had been as a yearling. But hastily, Indie, no, Starbelly bit the inside of her cheek to quell such… insolent desires. With a sweet smile painted upon her visage, the dark chanteuse respond, her large voice rising to the occasion.

“Starbelly,” she finished, letting the word linger on her lips.

The femme looked down at her paws, kneading her toes into the sodden banks of the shore. “I’m looking for a home,” she stated plainly, an honest sense of need coloring her voice. Did she want one? No. Did she need one? Yes — and she would make the best of this.  Her gilded gaze lifted and danced upon the young fae on the other side of the river.

“Do you know of one?” Starbelly chirped with a wry smile and a giggle, though such a small sound was surely lost with the sounds of the churning waters.

631 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Medic

The dark female introduced herself as Starbelly and proceeded to look to the ground when answering Pema's question. Almost seeming shy as she did so. Pema could hear a sence of deep desire or need from her voice when she answered. Starbelly then asked if Pema knew of any packs seemingly to be somewhat of a joke as she smiled. Of course she had to know that this was a pack and a possible one that she could join.

Pema smiled at her proceeding to say, "Well you're currently standing at the door step of the Morningside pack. I'd say we might have some open spots for you." Pema wasn't the leader of the pack, but Howl had accepted her into the pack without the knowledge of Grayday. Maybe she could do the same after asking Starbelly a few questions. Similar to the ones that Pema had been asked before joining the pack. "Do you have any trades or skill? Any your working towards or are interested in?"

lights • cameraaction
144 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
The young woman had a calming air about her that Starbelly could appreciate. She took her jests in stride, not afraid to progress their meeting further down its intended path. The dark femme could appreciate that. Starbelly found her head bobbing in demure communion, letting her gaze remain soft and somewhat downcast. Indie had a problem with authority, but Starbelly knew better. 

Morningside, that was their name.

Starbelly lifted a coiffed forearm to her lips to hide her feigned surprise. Might as well continue her entirely transparent charade, if her subject was willing. “Oh my! I was looking for a pack, but it seems that one has found me.” a small smile simpered upon her silken maw, but in her head thrummed chastisement; as such a statement was much too Indie, and she was Starbelly, dammit! Modest, coy… if not a little prudish. Tone it down, change the subject. That was her now.

“Trades?”

The thought sounded something of surprise, and it was! The subject of trades was a sore one for her; but only because it was something she had not yet the training to succeed. Starbelly liked to think herself a skilled tactician and mistress of ceremonies — but her leadership had never seen fit to besow her with any title to prove it so. It was okay. Better to move on, right? “I used to scout… but, not anymore.” the femme admitted sheepishly. She used to want freedom, to maintain many storylines at once, but no more. Now, she wanted stability and a family — suddenly [and seemingly with no reason], she craved one.

After a moment’s pause, Stabelly added softly “I sing and dance, too.” That would be something that never left her.
Together we won't die
236 Posts
Ooc — Belle
Hope you don't mind if I pop in here a little late :)

Kieran heard the call, but so far away from it was he. The other side of the territory, to be exact, but he wasted no time in heading that way. Even if someone might have managed to get there before him, he had just finished hunting and had nothing else to do. So on he went, crossing the land of the Morningside wolves, until he approached at last - head raised along with his tail. He was not overly dominant, but he had to ensure that whoever was here knew to be respectful. Though they should know that already, being at the borders of a pack. The first one he saw was Pema - the boy sent a grin and a wag of his tail her way, but his attention soon focused on the stranger. Black in colour, with amber eyes, from what he could see. Kieran was silent for a while, picking up the last few words shared between the two. 

Then, after the obsidian wolf mentioned scouting, singing and dancing (both of those intruiged him very much) the Hunter decided to join in the conversation. "Hello. I'm Kieran." He nodded his head in greeting to the stranger with a small smile and then glanced briefly at Pema, wondering how much she'd asked, and how much she knew of this wolf. "From what I gather, you don't currently have an actual trade. Do you plan on trying to get one? And if you do, what might that be?" He wasn't sure what she might aspire to be - it would be useful to know. They might be getting another hunter for the team, or a healer, or something of the like. Whatever it was, it would be good to know. "We have pups here and I must warn you that you have to be willing to help with other tasks that you might not be so comfortable in to help provide for said pups."

After waiting for an answer, Kieran hesitated and then flicked his tail. "I'm not the leader here, so I cannot accept you into our ranks myself, nor can Pema here, but... Grayday can. He's the alpha here. And as long as you can pull your weight, I see no reason to turn you away." With that said, the boy lifted his head and let out a call for @Grayday, hoping the male would have time enough to come and make a final decision. After all, the hunter wasn't sure if he was actually allowed to accept strangers into the pack. He'd never asked, to be honest.
English * French
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Anyone in Morningside can accept loners, actually, but I'll send Grayday in, since he's been called <3
Grayday hadn't heard the first howl, but was far closer to the area by the time the second one rang out. Recognizing Kieran's voice, the silvery male hastened to the borders, where he was met with the sight of a cozy-looking get-together.

The leader nodded to the woman, and bumped shoulder with Pema as he turned to look at Kieran, ears pricked in attention as he waited for the run-down on the situation. It seemed likely that the dark woman was attempting to join them, and if that was the case, the answer was fairly simple. But there'd been a lot of search parties out and about lately, and Grayday was unusually conscious of all the other reasons a wolf might be visiting another pack's borders.
[Image: CYEyvJP.png?4]
What's Mine is Ours
631 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Medic

Starbelly went on to say that she had prior scouting experience, but that she no longer did so. Unfortunate as the pack could use another scout. Dawn was really the only one the pack had and she was still recovering from her injuries. But then she went on to describe her interest in skills similar to a bard. At trade that was good for entertaining, especially when there were pups in the pack, but she wasn't sure how useful that would be otherwise.

Kieran soon join the tail end of the females responce and asking what trades she would like to persue. Pema smiled back to him with a light tail wag, happy that others would be able to evaluate this possible new member. He also mentioned the pups in the pack and about how the only main requirement for the pack was that someone could pull their own weight and help those that couldn't. She wanted to make sure that Starbelly didn't geel discouraged about not having a trade. "I was in a similar situation when I joined the pack. Without a trade. But I was willing to work to aquire one. Which is all we can really ask for."

He then called for Grayday, their leader. Who was often the one to make to super offical call as to who was in the pack. After all Howl had accepted her into the pack, but she immediatly went to Grayday for his approval. When he arrived she returned his nudge and brought him up to speed. "Grayday this is Starbelly. She may be looking to join Morningside." she began. "She had prior scouting skills, but might be more interested in singing and dancing. I let her know that even if she doesn't have a skill that there would most likely be a place for her if she was willing to work towards a trade. Kieran also told her about the added responsability of the pup and the need to pull ones own weight as well as others." she looked at him for comfirmation and then to Starbelly to see if there was anything she would say or clarify.

lights • cameraaction
144 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Suddenly, the Morningsiders were not so few any more!

The younger male strode onto the scene cooly, confidently — and Indie’s Starbelly’s attention immediately snapped to his new presence, but his first statement stoked a small flame deep in the pit of her stomach. So judgey, for such a young wolf! Was he even old enough to have him trade himself? For a moment, the vaudevillian tightened her jaw and hardened her gaze, in a way that was so infinitesimal that it was only perceived by the woman and only because it relieved part of the tension she suddenly felt. It was this type of fire that might have made the hotheaded Indie of yesteryear lash out [and perhaps that was the reason she had been, for the most part, a loner.]

Indie might lash out, but Starbelly was calm and collected. So the woman smiled a saccharine smile and responded sweetly, in a way that conveyed nothing of the wolf beneath the visage. 

“Mmmm, I’d like to see you dance the flamenco — and then you can tell me it isn’t a hard-earned skill. 

It was another joke, which were always small risks; but Starbelly had confidence in herself and know that most wolves could handle a quick repartee, so she tossed them freely. He continued to talk about pups and tasks and leaders and then he threw up a call for the attendance of someone higher than he. Starbelly gave a curt nod, placed her hips on the ground, and waited only a few moments before the silvered king arrived.

Without a word from Starbelly herself, Pema listed off her entire resume, adding sweet details about her lack of an official trade. Starbelly appreciated it, but felt a little spoken for. 

These wolves sure had a lot to say.

Suddenly, the conversation was thrust upon her. Pema actually did a pretty good job, so Starbelly did not have much to add — instead, her firebright gaze fell upon the nameless leader and spoke to him directly. “Oh, I assure you — I am far from useless,” she simpered, ears flicked back against her skull and, concurrently, dipped into a small curtsy.
Together we won't die
236 Posts
Ooc — Belle
Ah, my bad! Thanks for joining, though <3

Truly, he had not meant anything bad by his words - it seemed he had phrased it wrong, and for that he was sorry. He noticed the hardened gaze of the dark coloured wolf, and he although he smiled at her joking words he could tell she had not liked what he said. "Haha, I'll admit I'm not a dancer. Sorry if what I said came across bad - I didn't mean any offense by it. Those are certainly skills, and ones I don't have." The boy chuckled lightly. "I don't have a trade myself yet. I'm still a training hunter." Kieran had not meant to suggest that singing and dancing was not a skill, for it was, and he was totally useless at it, he had simply meant to ask if she wanted to become a scout, hunter, perhaps caregiver. If not that was fine, he had mostly been curious. Seems he'd made a mistake, though - he'd have to remember that for next time he tried to help with recruiting. Noted. He still had to work on talking with strangers - it was something that worried him slightly, for he was often nervous around those he didn't know if something went slightly wrong during introductions. 

Grayday arrived then, and Kieran sent him a grin and a wag of his tail. Pema gave him a run-down on Starbelly, the newcomer, and the young hunter sat silently, sending another apologetic smile to the black-furred wolfess before turning back to the leader to hear his thoughts.
English * French
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday's attention turned quickly from Kieran to Pema, as she charged into a thorough report of the situation. It was kind of cute - the male wanted to chuckle at it, but instead kept his expression carefully neutral as he listened to Pema's introduction. When she was finished, his eyes slid from her to Starbelly, and lingered there for a moment in silent assessment.

"While dancing and scouting are not without their uses, I expect everyone here to help with the hunting," said the male, feeling somewhat disconcerted by the sugary greeting he'd been afforded. While she seemed nice enough, there was something a little off-putting about the woman that he couldn't quite pin down. "You don't have to be great at it, and we can teach you, if your skills in that area are lacking - but you need to be willing. Are you willing, Starbelly?" he asked, not unkindly.
What's Mine is Ours
631 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Medic

The tension between Kieran and Starbelly quickly dispated as she told a joke and Kieran clarified his intentions. He hadn't meant to be mean, but it was important to know who it was would be joining the pack. It was a family and not everyone could fit in quite right. Though she hoped that Starbelly would, for the sake of the pack and for her. Once Grayday finished by adding in the importance of hunting and asked if she would be willing to do what she needed to join, Pema turner her head to their want to be joiner. Tail wagging waiting to see what it was she would say.

lights • cameraaction
144 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
 Starbelly felt the weight of the leader’s judgement upon her, but the veiled femme did not shrink under the scrutiny of it. This, the eyes of a crowd upon her, and her alone; this was the shit she lived for.  Here, she thrived. A smile settled upon her lips and she propped her shoulders upon pin-straight legs, certain that her acceptance into this group was night. The leader was an older man — good, she liked them older — and she decidedly avoided his gaze until he asked a question of her, directly.

“Oh, yes,” the starlet chirped in response. “Very willing, sir.”

The vaudevillian knew how to hunt and feed herself [She had kept herself alive this long, hadn’t she?] but overtly physical pursuits weren’t exactly her favorite. Despite her skill where moving her body was concerned, Starbelly could be counted on to hunt smaller fare and nothing more. No use divulging that now, though. Her smile turned into a simper, and she regarded each wolf in turn. There were so many things to say, so she must select her words wisely. What would Donovan want her to say? “If you would have me, sir,” she said again, dropping her gaze. “I would love to see your pack through the winter, especially the pups.” Gotta mention the pups. However, there was earnest honesty tinting her words — she didn’t want to make commitments she couldn’t keep, subsequently creating enmity in the eventual end of thing. That was an Indie sort of thing to do, and she funnily didn’t want to start this relationship on false pretenses [despite her whole identity being fabricated].  

Perhaps a long-term commitment would eventually be on the table, but Starbelly was not so quick to sacrifice the life she had toiled to create.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Skipping @Kieran Adrien with permission!
Grayday gave a hum of thought at the woman's answer. He didn't normally deliberate like this, but there was something that struck him as a bit... off about the dark shewolf before them. Whatever it was, he couldn't put a name to it, and so, he hesitated to bar her entry because of it. With a glance toward Kieran and a long look at Pema, he decided that the woman couldn't be too bad, if two trusted pack members had no qualms about her.

"Then you're welcome to stay," he said with a subdued wag of his tail. "I'm going to partner you up with Kieran until you adjust to our pack. He can show you the best hunting and where we all tend to gather." He would've stuck her with Pema, but he thought the young woman had rather enough on her plate, for the time being. "I know there's a lot of excitement about pups, but until they get to know you a little better, I only want you to visit them when there are other pack members around," he added, phrasing this order as nicely as possible. He knew that no one liked to be distrusted, but he also didn't trust strangers to be alone around his children. There was no getting around it.

Finally, he offered a smile and a friendly flicker of his ears. "Come and find me if there's anything you need to talk about," he said, turning to go back the way he'd come. He'd left a good trail behind to see to this issue, and he was eager to get back to it.
What's Mine is Ours