Wild Berry Meadow singing right at you
lights • cameraaction
144 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
All Welcome 
anyone wanna let starbelly try out her new persona on them? 

Dawn just peeked over the spires of the easterly ridges and peaks, but Starbelly had long been awake. The vaudevillian did not sleep easily, for her mind always races with grandiose thoughts and ideas and her heart always beat fast with the passions that gripped her. She always had been an overactive, easily excitable child, and through his affectionate kisses Donovan said she would grow out of it, she never truly did. He hadn’t let her.

Donovan was now a thing of the past but his lingering effects stayed, no matter if she was Indie or if she was Starbelly. Some things would never leave her — her song, her dancing feet and her lingering muse.

Starbelly was continually vexed with her own attitudes and how easily she gave into them. First of all, she was much too chatty for her preference. There was a haughty ambiance that she desired, but it somehow continuously evaded her; and she tried much too hard to find cultivate friendships within the Morningside wolves when she needed to stay aloof. Why? Starbelly didn’t know why, that’s just the way she had decided to be. Mysterious, dreamy, quiet. That was her now, that’s what she wanted to be — and Starbelly always got what she wanted. 

But when she was alone, she sang!

“I am a chapel, 
and this is prayer book, 
these are the parables
god, forgive us, this is our business:
absolving sins of all 
of these heathens.”

Starbelly sauntered, sometimes throwing in a side-step or twirl, across the plains. She liked the Morningside wolves just fine despite their overtly communal society, but that night her feet itched for travel and Starbelly gave in once more. She had walked for hours this way, not finding it within herself to tire, singing and dancing and make great merriment along the way. There was no one to see, though she was now dappled in the morning's light, and this was a good thing.

“what a lovely day" says the butcher as she raises her arm 
Morningsong
Sage*
1,316 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Coach
I'm going to toss compulsive singer Aditya in here xD

by his second week in morningside, his injuries from the fall, which had been largely superficial to begin with, had faded marvelously. the stiffness was gone, and the life had seemed to return to his limbs. on one cold dawn morning, he awoke bright-eyed and bushy-tailed--though, let's be honest, he was always bushy-tailed--and decided to wander off a little bit from the plateau.

well, a little bit soon turned into a couple of hours, and the sun was high as aditya loped across the plains, nose lifted in pursuit of any prey-scent he could find, or companionship along the way. it turned out that companionship was to find him, for here was a svelte black she-wolf, whirling around carefree and. . .singing. singing?

with a grin, aditya trotted towards her, signaling his appearance with a bark. he pulled to a stop and wagged his tail. "vah vah, kya baat hai! marvelous voice," he greeted, twitching his ear. "and the song is. . .well, intense. parables and heathens."

it occured to him that this female had the scent of the plateau on her, and he continued, "you must be from morningside. i don't think we've formally met. i'm aditya. but call me 'adi'," he added. "easier."
lights • cameraaction
144 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Starbelly soon became aware of another’s presence when he proffered an appreciative applause for her art.  A fleeting smirk graced her maw for a moment before evanescing into the dewy morning light. As much as Starbelly claimed to want solitude, she was a woman who always appreciated an audience. She loved to sing alone, but loved to sing more when people were watching her! 

The dark woman turned to find the stranger, silent and watching, before realizing it was just another male. She shrank demurely, looking up at him with big, blinking eyes. Men were easy to deal with — it was the women you had to watch out for. 

“It’s an old song.” 

It was the only rationale she was willing to provide for her intense aria — it was an old song, after all, and the beauty of its art could not be reckoned with. Sometimes the most beautiful things were the most haunting, weren't they? Her attention flickered back to the coastal forest that had been reduced to charcoal, but only for a brief interlude, before it resettled on the wolf before her. “Starbelly,” she greeted, offering him an entreating smile. She had seen this man before.

“I saw you at the hunt.”

Morningsong
Sage*
1,316 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Coach
starbelly. the name slipped huskily through her lips. adi accepted the name with a nod of acknowledgement. he had also seen her at the hunt, though she had been in a separate group from his. he wondered how long she had been part of morningside. was she a recent transplant like himself, or a legacy member?

"you like to sing?" he asked, the question pretty much rhetorical. "i do, as well. even the old songs," he added with a grin. "nothing intense like your songs, but old all the same."

he took in her appearance, admiring the way her fur glowed a soft ebony and the fiery orange of her eyes. she was built strongly for a woman, yet had all the feminine graces of a girl more slim. and she was older than the other morningside females he had met--she had a few seasons on younger wolves like dawn and pema.

"can you sing me another song?" he requested, his voice genuine. "or, perhaps, even teach me one?"
lights • cameraaction
144 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
I am sorry for the wait!

Starbelly took a drawn step towards the man, letting the smirk simper upon her maw for a moment too long. It was something strange; to be a part of a family that did not treat all men as thralls. It had been a part of the Nereides culture that she was all too happy to adopt — and would still readily admit that she loved how that small bit of power tasted — but Starbelly would sooner run in the other direction than ever cross paths with Gabe or Whip again. Certainly, they would desire retribution and Starbelly was none too excited to answer for her misdeeds. They were so Indie, and they were now in the past.    

Whatever, Starbelly thought decisively. She far preferred a strong man to a weak one, and a bright mind to an empty one, and a free man to a slave. With that thought in mind, Starbelly allowed her ocre-bright gaze flash and dance. “Oh, a singer?” she purled, let her tail gently fan her hocks. This was pleasing, as there were so few artists in the world and they were so very needed — because what was life if it was all work and no play? The world was much too drab without the vivid colors of their palettes! To Starbelly, it was not a life she wanted. 

“I am a lucky woman,” the vaudevillian admitted truthfully. It appeared that he had a song in his heart, and she was much too willing to help him find it. ”Perhaps you can help me with something I’ve been working?” 

Morningsong
Sage*
1,316 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Coach
it's no problem :)

"haan, i sing. you can be the judge of whether i'm good or not," he said lightly, answering her first question, before tackling the second. "now i'm intrigued. you're composing something of your own? let's hear it, then."

it was fascinating to find an artist in the teekon wilds. down south, despite human incursions into territory, life seemed less dire, thus he had come across more singers, dancers, tellers of tales and such. but here, in the north. . .it was different. all about survival. there were warriors and hunters, healers and scouts, but few poets. few musicians.

hearing starbelly sang made aditya homesick for an instant, which was ridiculous, considering he had never really had a fixed home. but the southern coast, for all its vastness, had been his stomping ground since birth, and she reminded him so much of its denizens.