Bramblepoint Bring that summer on your shoulders
286 Posts
Ooc — Jess
All Welcome 
Shrike's journey had at last brought him back to where it first started. After having searched the lands formerly clained by Neverwinter Forest, and the areas surrounding it, he'd moved on, with a heavy heart. If Allure had come back, he'd missed her and her entire family. Perhaps they had relocated within the area, searching for a better place to spend the winter- or the family had fallen apart, and he'd left just as the worst was beginning. He could find no sign of Cypress, Kaskara or any of the others he'd lived with once, and so he trailed his way back through woodlands which had grown and changed over the cuorse of the year, but were still vaguely familiar. 

The cool autumn breeze ruffled his grey coat, teasing the dark guard hairs that were growing longer for the winter months to come. It was noon, he guessed, but the shadows were still long, a sign that the days were getting shorter. The nip of frost he'd seen on the morning after the last full moon had confirmed what he'd suspected- that winter might come early, and it could possibly be a tough one to survive on his own. Though he hardly expected a warm welcome at the Caldera, he felt it was worth investigating the area to see if he recognized any familiar scents that were still friendly to him. 

His main adversary, Fox, hadn't passed through Bramblepoint in some time. He's meandered through other surrounding territories, and had picked up the scents which belonged to Finley and Elwood, and perhaps even Raven- but as far as he could tell, Fox hadn't been in the area. Perhaps she was sticking closer to home- but that'd be an area Shrike would likely avoid until he knew whether it was safe. The last time he'd seen Fox, she'd been extremely angry with him for turning down her grief-fuelled advances, and had banished him from Redhawk Caldera. Peregrine was gone, he knew; and so he believed were his ties to the wolves in the pack, at least through blood. 

Still, he didn't think it would hurt, terribly, to meander around in the area, picking up scents both familiar and strange, until he was able to find someone who might have some answers for him.

And that first kiss coming, let's just freeze the frame
Your eyes were closing, as mine were opening
you can't wake up, this is not a dream
205 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Sorrynotsorry.

Neverwinter Forest had been abandoned. The thought of it had not only sent an ache in her heart, but a certain anger toward Kjalarr – had he not asserted himself upon the throne of the forest to keep it safe? What had happened to them? Her father’s legacy. She never should have let him take the helm – and what had happened to Kaskara?

Worse, what had happened to Cypress and Shrike? She had returned as quickly as she could for either of them, but the woods remained nothing but hauntingly quiet, and as she realized the scents had long since faded, the she-wolf had quickly swept out of her old home and back in to the neutral terrain.

Her heart thudded in her chest as she began to wander. There was no set direction – she had nowhere she belonged now, and there wouldn’t be a hope in hell to finding her family. Not after so much time had passed. She winced at the memory of it all – the attack had been cleverly set upon her, and she bore the scars to show it. The gouged line along her nape and the tear from the tip of her ear.. she would wear these marks forever as the burden to trust no stranger.

As she ambled, the wind teased at her senses, and she cringed, her aqua eyes fluttering shut with a grimace. Achingly familiar, it was almost as if her heartache and nostalgia had stirred up her longing for home, and she could have swore the wind hinted at Shrike – but she knew it was impossible. He was long gone with the rest of them.
Are you deranged like me? Are you strange like me?
Lighting matches just to swallow up the flame like me?
Do you call yourself a fucking hurricane like me?
286 Posts
Ooc — Jess
ooc: WHATWHATWHATWHATWHATOMG

IC;

If Fox was gone, he could possibly settle back into Redhawk Caldera. If the scents in the area were speaking the truth, then Elwood and Finley were still around; even after his banishment, Elwood had been kind fo him; he'd understood. Shrike hadn't had the courage to lie to the male about how he'd turned Fox down, and he felt that Elwood simply understood. He'd failed Elwood, by not finding Lucy. True, he'd managed to find Peter's killer and ensure that she was dead and buried, though the act had almost taken his own life as well, due to the sickness she'd carried. He'd even commanded a subordinate- Sassafras- to bury him alive with the body, lest he should carry the disease too. 

In the time that had flown since he'd left the Forest, life had dredged on, he felt as heavy as a wolf trying to pull itself from waters after swimming for hours, but the meaninglessness to his travels had made him feel like nothing more than the mist. Though the mist burned off in the sun every morning, leaving him wishing he was fabricated of nothing more than moisture and air, too, so that he did not have to endure the length and void of the days. 

For a moment, he considered calling out for Elwood; he needed something to give his life meaning again. Not that he had any hope it'd cure the tear in his heart, but still- he needed somewhere to live for the winter, some sort of purpose or he knew he would simply lay down and give up, allow the snow to pile high upon his ribs and flanks, leave nothing left to be found come spring but a faded memory of a wolf. The wind ruffled his fur, and he concentrated on isolating Elwood's scent...But the skilled tracker's breath hitched in his throat and his eyes snapped open. 

He would not mistake that scent, and Shrike did not believe that he could have fabricated that scent with his mind, not matter how much he'd craved to smell it again. Breath expelled from his lips in a quiet, percussive and muffled bark and he swivveled upon his feet. He drew in a breath slowly, feeling the air filted through receptors that still remembered, and he took his first, faltering step. He'd never stopped tracking her- not until he'd decided that to save his own life, he'd need to join a pack for the winter. Even then, he'd chosen this place, a place where he could renew his search. One step after another led him closer, until he was absolutely certain- and then the angular male took off at a mad dash. 

He did not doubt himself for a moment. Hope had never left him- and he responded the same way he'd still likely respond if he came upon Lucy's scent. Shrike was built for tracking, and he never forgot a scent. His mind went blank, and he barely registered the scenery as it whipped past him, focusing all his attention on the scent which grew stronger and stronger. He was hardly composed as he leapt hastily over a burdock bush, not clearing it in the least and as he landed, he took at least 30 burdocks with him, entangled in the gunmetal of his pelt- but as soon as his paws hit the ground, he leaned into his hocks and came sliding to a halt. 

In the distance, all he could see was the black of her pelt; but between a gap in the shrubs, he saw a flash of white, and he knew it was her. He couldn't bring himself to call out- he tried, but all that passed his lips was a pathetic, but endearing whine.

205 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
She tipped her nose down, the scent of old pheasant teasing at her nose. She felt gnawing hunger in her stomach then – sharper than before, as if the realization that with the Neverwinter Forest pack gone, she would likely remain a loner for longer than intended – and hunting was growing sparser as the cooler months came on.

She could go back to Everwinter Ridge – unbeknownst to her that her mother had claimed different lands also, and she would continue her travels as a rogue. But there was little drive to do so – her younger siblings were looked after by her eccentric mother (hopefully) whereareas Cypress was alone – or so she could only assume. Hopefully he stayed with Shrike – it was what she would have wanted, after the event that had corrupted the life she had known.

She paused as she continued to gently prowl forward, one ear tipping as it seemed a gentle whine interrupted the silence – but she could only blame the wind. A frown smoothed across her features, and glancing upward, Allure cast a quick glance around, her slender form tensing as she suddenly felt as if she was no longer alone – her breath quickened at the thought of another onslaught – fight or flight caused her muscles to tense, and the she-wolf quivered, battling with her inner demons as she considered what to do.
286 Posts
Ooc — Jess
When her noble head lifted, Shrike's breath caught in his throat; so striking were her looks, still, that he was reminded of the first day he'd set eyes on her. No more than two or three words had passed between them, when they'd both lived at the Caldera, but he'd become enamoured with her immediately. If nothing else, the search for Lucy had been a means for him to track her down once more- an excuse to peruse the valley in search of the woman who'd caught his eye the first moment she'd come into his view. And here she was before him again, and he felt as if he was in a dream, reliving the first moment he'd laid eyes on her. 

He could see the stiffness in her pose- she didn't move away, yet, but she did not dare to look around thoroughly either and he felt a heaviness in his heart. There was a fright that had seeped into her lissome frame like shadows creeping across a field in the evening. In that moment, he wanted nothing more than to rush forward and reassure her- but something held him back and caused him to remain quiet for just a moment longer. If he was indeed in a dream, he did not want to disturb himself from it and cause her image to fade from view. 

Slowly, he moved forward, head lowered and ears turned back slightly as though to apologize and seek forgiveness. There was no mistaking it now- this was his Allure, standing before him, wind ruffling the soft fur along her jawline. He voiced his presence again, as he simultaneously came to a halt, chuffing an affectionate, pleading note and flicking his ears forward, begging her not to flee. Turn and see me, He begged silently, terrified that any move might startle her and send her fleeing into the distance.

205 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
@Shrike so sorry for the wait, bebe!
Her breath quickened – did she hear the faint crunch of paws upon the ground? Was she imagining it, or was someone approaching? The panic continued to rise in her chest, her nostrils flaring as if she were a deer in headlights – and just as her muscles coiled, ready to release and spring away in the chosen art of flight, for she had nothing left to give in the form of a fight, her eyes snapped in the direction of the soft whine – and there she was met with an overwhelming rush of familiarity and safety.

But she did not know what to make of it. Her aqua eyes roved over the mask painted upon his face – the gentle demeanour of his posture – those silver eyes she had grown to love. Her lips parted, her body began to quake. Could he be real?

She had longed for him. He had spoken of his love for her, and for the first time in moons, she had felt as if her life would begin to fall in to place, despite the demise of her father. Her, Cypress and Shrike would have been a family – and then she had been taken.

“Shrike,” she tentatively whispered, her voice hoarse from its disuse in that moment – and she waited for him to disappear, as if a dream. “Shrike.. I was so lost,” she quietly voiced, her slender body visibly quaking now, though she could not move toward him. Dared not to.
286 Posts
Ooc — Jess
The tension was still palpable as silence reclaimed the air between them. Doleful silver eyes begged to meet those gems he'd loved so much, willing for the cold around her body to lift and allow her to move. Switfly, as though a powerful spell had suddenly broken, she turned her head to see him, and Shrike lowered his head slightly, tail swinging calmly between his hocks. It broke his heart to see her so fearful, and for a moment he wondered if she'd forgotten him. Why else would she stay so still? Why else would she have been so fearful, unless he'd become a stranger in her eyes?

His suspicions were swept aside when she finally spoke, her soft voice trembling and hoarse, but it was clearly his name she had spoken. There was still a look of wild fear in her features, but it seemed to fade into a profound sorrow when she spoke again, and her whole body began to quake. Was she ashamed? For some reason, he thought her fear seemed to stem from guilt- and for the first time, Shrike actually wondered if she had left on purpose. Perhaps he had been too close, too much, following the death of her father. Shrike had never even considered that she would have left voluntarily- having found a tuft of her fur and spatters of her blood as a farewell note. Now, though, he started to wonder- especially given the words she had just spoken. 

Still, if there was anything to forgive, it had already been forgiven. While she stayed rooted in place, he moved forward, ears turning back respectfully as he moved with sure steps, but at a speed which showed caution; he wanted to be near her, but as soon as she flinched or made any sign she did not want him, he would stop. "Found you," came the warm, relieved reply as he closed the distance between them, praying she would not turn him away.

205 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
She could not move, but he did to her – she felt her body tremble as he closed the distance between them, but her muzzle lifted a notch, her eyes seeking him out, as if almost expecting it all to be a dream. His whispered words caused her eyes to blink, and finally she found motion in herself. She padded toward him, hesitant at first, and then quickening hr pace until she all but collided in to his thick chest.

She buried her nose in to the thickness of his neck fur – inhaling his scent and unable to stifle the sob that escaped her as her body quaked now. The scars along her body stung, but no more than the pain in her chest at the thought of everything she had lost – and the fact that colliding in to him had felt like coming home. “I love you,” she whispered, the words repeating over and over, so softly as she wept against him, trying as hard as she could to melt in to him in every possible way. She had so many questions, but her mind could not quiet to focus on any specific one – instead, the bi-toned she-wolf remained lost in the moment, feeling as if her hardened and broken heart once more was beating.
286 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Calmly and slowly the two drew toward one another, and with Allure’s advance Shrike’s confidence was renewed and though she trembled still when she pressed against him, he stood strong and pulled her gently against him with a sweeping motion of his jaw. The scars that trailed along her skin did not go unnoticed, and they angered him. Every bit of him wanted to find whoever it had been that had taken her from him and bury them in the earth. But now was not the time for anger or revenge- having formerly believed he’d never see her again, he wanted nothing more than to have everything they should have had. 

”I love you,” He said in response; poignant, but almost thoughtless. He had never stopped loving her, nor had he ever doubted she cared for him too. ”Be mine. Let’s join a pack, have everything we should have had.” He said. He’d lost her once, and he was not going to lose her again. This was their chance, and he felt certain nothing should stand in their way.

205 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
She closed her eyes at his first words – surprise filtering through her that even after all this time not knowing, he would still love her. Her breathing began to settle, her heartbeat becoming regular once more as the knot of fear began to unfurl itself from her chest. She was safe in his embrace, that was what mattered. That and – “Where is Cypress?” She ached to believe her little brother was out there, alone somewhere. She had hoped he had been with Shrike – that the two would have stayed together. But had they even become that close?

She had blurted the question, almost not hearing his own admissions, and finally she blinked, realizing he wanted her. “Yes,” she quickly uttered, her nose pressing closer to his nape, knowing she would follow him wherever he went. Shrike was her family now – she could only hope her siblings would eventually find her. “Yours. Us.”
286 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Cypress...Unfortunately, Shrike was a wolf with a one-track mind, and almost in a literal sense. When he was tracking one wolf, that was usually the only thing he concentrated on. Ashamedly, he bowed his head; it hadn't occurred to him that Cypress wouldn't stay home with the pack and be safe. Perhaps he had- but the pack was gone, and if he'd gone with them, Shrike had no way of knowing where their location was now. He shook his head and gritted his teeth together for a moment. "I don't know." He admitted, ashamed he hadn't taken Cypress with him when he'd gone to look for Allure. It hadn't even occurred to him, though even if it had, he might have been inclined to insist that he stay with the pack as a life in the wilderness without a pack was not a comfortable one, and the boy's life might have been in danger if Shrike couldn't protect him. "Pack's gone; moved somewhere or disbanded." He said. 

What they needed then, he supposed, was a home base. From there they could go looking for him- ask the packs if they knew what had happened to Neverwinter Forest- surely some of the pack members were still around, and could fill them in on what had happened. "We need a home. If Fox is gone, the Caldera might have us." He said. He knew Elwood wouldn't turn his back on Shrike, as the two had kept in contact even after Fox had banished him. "Can still smell Elwood in the area. Hoping that means he's alpha," He said. Fox's scent, however, was nowhere to be traced, and though he hadn't gone too close to the Caldera, he'd not been able to catch her scent anywhere in the vicinity which to him, was a good sign she was gone.

He nosed Allure's cheek gently, and flicked his ears forward. "Unless you want somewhere else," He said, open to the possibility that she too might have ties to another pack in the area. Shrike didn't care where they ended up- as long as they were together and could finally have forever together.

205 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
She wasn't surprised by the news, but it didn't hurt any less. She had been all Cypress had left, and she had failed him. She blinked gently, swallowing the lump that clung heavily in her throat, quietly vowing that she would not give up looking for her younger brother. She could have sought her mother and littermates out once more.. but Shrike was her future, and she leaned in to him.

The idea of returning to the Caldera wasn't one she was overly enthused about. Peregrine had chased her out when she had tried to bid him goodbye, and had made it known she was not welcomed back. He was dead -- but it somehow felt disrespectful to go against his wishes.

But where else would they go? Elwood had been kind to her, and with slight hesitation, she gave a nod. "Wherever you go, I go," she confirmed, never once relenting her touch from him. If Redhawk Caldera didn't work, they would go elsewhere -- perhaps she would go back to the northern parts of the valleys once more.