Redhawk Caldera a bolt of blazing gold
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
@Phox! <3

The little badger den -- the one in which she kept her plants and supplies stashed -- was a mess. Things had gotten disorganized and mixed up, making it more difficult to find exactly what she needed in a hurry. The recent appearance of Wildfire with a medical emergency had proven that it was high time she got in here, pulled everything out, and reorganized it all. She sat now and surveyed what she had. Some of it was no longer good, stale and crumbled to dry dust, and this she picked up and tossed aside. The rest, she meticulously grouped together and replaced in the small den, being sure to separate it by type and use. It took her quite some time, but when it was done, she emerged from the cramped little den and shook leaves and other detritus free of her coat, huffing out a sigh of satisfaction.
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Phox hadn't really been by to visit the wolves who had come to visit them (or whatever it was they were doing). He was vaguely aware that he had an older sibling hanging out here, but he didn't really know the why of it all. She was sick or something, and she needed a place to stay. For the most part, he stuck to his studies: hunting and astrology, and left it at that.

He was wandering a bit aimlessly through the caldera when he came across Raven looking at a bunch of... stuff. He wasn't really sure what it was, but without really thinking about it, he asked, "Raven, am I fat?"
player preferences
-speaking+ptero- -ptero- speaking
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Raven wasn't expecting company and she'd been pretty focused on what she was doing, so when Phox's voice cut lightly across the silence, she was a little startled. But what really startled her was his question. She sat down, looking at him with concern and a little confusion in her face. He was a pretty pudgy boy but not unhealthily so, in her opinion. There was nothing wrong with having a little extra cushion, particularly if the upcoming winter turned out to be a hard one. He would be a lot better off than the skinnier members of their pack, Raven included. "I wouldn't say you're fat. That little bit of weight you're carrying will come off over the winter. Does it bother you?"
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Phox shrugged. "You sure it'll come off in the winter?" he asked. He felt out of breath more often than not, and he had started to wonder if his fat was the reason he hadn't been able to take down that deer he had tried so hard to hunt with Lagan and Towhee. Maybe if he'd been a little sprier, he could have gotten it. Maybe if he hadn't been so slow he wouldn't have messed it up so bad. "I always try and eat stuff before it goes bad. Maybe I shouldn't do that, but y'know, seeing it go to waste is so awful," Phox lamented.

"I don't look like Towhee and Orca, and they're always faster than me. I wanna be fast, too." Phox wanted to be fast so he could take down deer and provide for the pack. That was more or less his sole purpose (aside from learning about the stars, but that didn't seem to do much good for anybody else). Towhee could fight off intruders, Orca could... well, he was pretty sure she was doing something better than him. And what could he do? Check the caches and eat all the food that others had forgotten about? That didn't seem like a terribly useful skill.
player preferences
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Me too, Phox. Meeee too. XD

"Yeah, food is always harder to find in winter, and the snow makes traveling a lot harder. You'll definitely lose weight. Everyone does." Perhaps it was her affection for him that masked the true reality of Phox's weight from Raven's eyes. She tried to detach herself from her feelings and look at the young wolf with a medic's eye. He really was overweight. And considering the famine that had recently passed through the caldera, he'd probably weighed quite a bit more prior to that.

She understood the complications that could be brought on by his condition, and she felt for him as he explained his frustrations. It couldn't hurt to think of some solutions that would help in the short-term, since it sounded like he didn't want to wait until spring to enjoy the benefits of a leaner body. "Eating less frequently would help, along with getting more exercise. You should see if Towhee would let you go with her on some of her patrols around the borders. She'd probably appreciate the help, and that many miles in a day would definitely help you lose weight and get in better shape."
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
He listened, though he wasn't entirely convinced he would ever get any thinner. He nudged his belly with his nose, wondering if that was really all he had to do. Phox continued to hang out with Raven for a while longer, eventually finding a reason to go off and do something else.
player preferences