Cerulean Cape Only the Wind
8 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
All Welcome 
Making some assumptions for what'll happen in Pebble's first thread.  Fingers crossed nothing'll need editing.

The trek to the shores had been slow going, or at least it felt that way. The temperature had fell a bit more over the days and now here she was with the ocean sprawling out in front of her, as was suggested.  Going into the water was going to definitely be a shock but at least here it was deep enough that she'd be able to finally get clean.  Down onto the soft, cool sand she wandered, leaving a trail of footsteps across its otherwise unbroken surface behind her.

She took a few breaths then bounded forward into the water, dipping her head and disappearing into the shallows where the danger was low.  It was a shock to the system and she had to keep from inhailing the stuff.  Pebble came up for air, running back to shore before dropping where the water was maybe an inch high when the waves were in, rolling in the surf and wet sand.  She was doing her best to loosen the blood that had been stuck in her fur for how long.  It made her head throb. The place she'd been beaned on the head was still pretty badly bruised.  Not surprising.

She rolled back onto her stomach and stood up to skitter a little bit farther up to the harder packed sand near the high water mark. There she sat, scratching at her fur, trying to get theclumps out.  It would be so much nicer to be clean.  She'd have to go for a rinse in a bit, but only after she'd thuroughly raked any paws and claws that could reach through the offending fur.  She had a lot to think about as well.  Her mind had clarified over the past few days -- no more was being lost, but there was still a gigantic gaping hole where things should have been.  Even her name still just... didn't seem right.  Close, yes.  But not quite it.  But now what was she to do?
252 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
Things had been uneventful at Ravensblood Forest, and Constantine remained something of an enigma to her. They would seek one another's company often, but neither would share much of who they were. Durnehviir's past in the Teekon had been a muddied one; separated from her family at a tender age and entirely alone before her uncle happened across her, she recalled very little of what happened before then. She'd returned with the hope of piecing her puzzle together, of finding some answers, when Constantine entered her life and opened her eyes to the possibility of a future.

She didn't know what they were, or if they'd even be anything at all, but her heart was hopeful that their friendship would at least continue to flourish. The attraction had been there upon first sight, and Durnehviir had not shied from it. Constantine did not push her away either, though the russet Frostfur could not ignore his caution. He sought comfort in her, as she dud him, but there was an air of uncertainty about him that she could not yet place.

She took a break from her duties, heading North toward the coast for a change of scenery. The sky was dull, a murky blue-grey littered with darker clouds that promised rain, and the crimson wolfess felt herself shiver at the breeze's chill. Winter was fast approaching and, with the support of the Ravensblood pack, Durnehviir was looking forward to the coming of snow. The cold season was brutal, but she'd been born into it and this would be her third, so did not fear its wrath.

A trail of paw prints across the sand captured the mottled Frostfur's attention, and she followed them with her champagne eyes in the direction the other wolf had travelled. A pale golden figure sat a short distance away - Relonikiv!? - and, at once, Durnehviir approached.

As she neared, she noted that this particular loner was female, though she did not allow disappointment to sink in. She wooded a cheerful greeting, tail lashing in a friendly manner at her rump as she called out, "hi there!"
everything mortal fades away in time, but the spirit remains
8 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
It felt good to try and get some of the gunk out of her fur.  The wet beach sand had actually helped to break it up a bit more.  Now, as she sat there on the beach, back leg scratching away towards the back of her neck.  Huh.  Someone was approaching?  A reddish wolf had popped up over the dunes.  Well, she better finish this up fast.

She tried to rub the back of her head with a paw, to only mild success.  Canine front legs weren't designed the same way as a cat's so unsurprisingly her attempt to pull off a similar motion was more awkward than successful.  Ugh.  Yeah.  Not working out well.  Some of the sand deep in her fur was starting to itch a bit.  By then, they were within speaking distance and she got to her feet. Hey there! came her response. Gimme a sec real quick!

With that she spun on heel and dashed back into the water, disappearing beneath the waves and giving herself a good shake.  Unsurprisingly the water was still pretty damn cold.  The temperature made it feel like an eternity but she wasn't under for all that long.  Soon enough, she popped back up and headed back to shore.  She shook as much of the sea water out of her fur as she possibly could.  This was probably as clean as she was going to get without someone else actually pinning her down and grooming her.  She took a couple steps, then shook herself again before continuing forward.  Do I have any still have any on me -- on like my neck or whatever?  Pebble tried to turn slightly to make it more visible.  There probably was a bit of blurred redness at the back of her head, but it likely wasn't nearly as bad as it was before.  Dealing with the scab when it was ready to come off would be a whole other adventure.  That would be a while out yet, though.  What an intro, huh?
252 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
The other wolfess responded in a friendly manner before she promptly excused herself, and Durnehviir followed her movement toward the sea with curious gold eyes. She bounded across the damp shore and threw herself into oncoming waves, disappearing for a few seconds before emerging once again. The crimson Frostfur smiled, amused, as her newest acquaintance loped onto land and shook out her pale fur, leaving her looking rather bedraggled.

She did not envy her. Durnehviir, being part Arabic and despite her strong Northern paternal bloodline, was her mother's daughter in that she was a delicate creature. She was sensitive to the cold, and didn't fancy shivering all the way home to Ravensblood. The sodden wolfess approached Durnehviir once more, she turned slightly to present the back of her head, asking if she'd succeeded in removing whatever she had been working on. "It looks okay," she said, noting the dull wound beneath the golden loner's damp fur. "What happened? Does it hurt?"
8 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
She nodded.  Hopefully it was clean enough now that it wouldn't attract attention.  It would be hard to hunt if she smelled like a blood clot. It isn't as bad as it was a while ago.  Just no poking it, you know? When she sat down, she did her best to wrap her tail around as much of her paws as she could to try to keep them warm.  If it was any later in the year she might be in trouble and turn into a pupsicle.  Aaand I'm not really sure.  I think it was a rock slide maybe.  Don't think anyone was there when I woke up. Uhh.  I'm kind of missing a lot of stuff.  Except rambling. She wasn't missing the ability to ramble, that was for sure.  Oh! Uh, name's Pebble.  Well, maybe it wasn't.  Whatever.

Her mind was still a jumbled mess and she hadn't remembered anything new.  Everything was still the blurry shadow-theater that she'd awakened with.  How long ago was that now?  Ugh.  She'd have to figure out something soon.  Pebble shivered.  Winter would come, whether she wanted it or not.
252 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
The sodden wolfess seemed pleasant and friendly enough, seeming cheerful despite her obvious misfortune. Durnehviir listened intently as the loner answered the questions she'd posed, stating that she wasn't certain what injured her and as a result had lost some of her memories.

"Do you remember where you're from?" the russet Frostfur asked gently, lowering her hainches to take a seat on the damp sand, eyes and ears focussed on the she-wolf who finally introduced herself. In response, she offered her own name: "I'm Durnehviir."

It was concerning, and Durnehviir knew she'd be loathe to leave a confused, injured wolf alone on the beach whenever their encounter would to a conclusion. She held her tongue, however, hoping to piece whatever information Pebble had to help her find her home.
8 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
All things considered, she'd done fairly well. Though it'd been a bit iffy at first, Pebble was probably ready to start pretending nothing had happened to her. As long as the wound was well hidden, maybe nobody would notice next time someone met her. No, but like.. I know I'm supposed to be looking for a pack, I think? So I don't think it's a big deal I guess unless someone actually knows me. Pebble was just some lone wolf that had a bit more than her average share of bad luck but was now trying to make the most of it.

Huh. Different name you've got, she said, nodding and attempting to commit it to her Swiss cheese memory.  Pretty unsurprising that she found it interesting -- just take a look at the name she picked for herself.  It's not like "Pebble" was a particularly fascinating name.. There were probably thousands of objects that would fit in that category right here on the beach. Are you from really far away or am I a lot farther from wherever I should be?  Either one sounded feasible to her.
252 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
Pebble did not know where she came from or where she was going, and the crimson Frostfur pitied her. She couldn't imagine what it would be like, to know you were missing something but unable to be certain of what that was. It was as though she'd lost part of herself, Durnehviir supposed, and found herself hoping that time would return the other female's memories to her.

"I live just South of here," she offered, "in a place called Ravensblood Forest. We are a new pack, growing daily and soon to make our official claim. You can seek me there, if you do not find what you're looking for and require somewhere to stay for the cold season." It felt wrong somehow, inviting a loner into Constantine's pack when she had no real right, but it felt wrong to leave this lost wolfess with zero hope.

The sea breeze brought an uncomfortable chill that trailed the length of Durnehviir's spine, and she acknowledged that she was likely feeling the cold more so that she'd stopped moving. Small, fine-boned and with a pelt that had not yet completed its Winter growth, she inwardly grumbled over his Arabic heritage. "I was born nearby, actually," the tawny she-wolf smiled, amused. It was easy for others to assume she was an exotic creature, what with her giant ears, sharp features and doe eyes. Although not entirely similar, Viinturuth had told her before that she reminded him fondly of her mother, Paarthurnax, their father's delicate desert flower. This was a curious thing for Durnehviir, for her uncle had been tall and solidly build, with a dense Northern pelt of obsidian and a mane of bold platinum. Sans their matching eyes, Durnehviir and Viinturuth were polar opposites. "My mother was born to the deserts of the South," she recalled her guardian's tale of where he and Paarthurnax had come from, "but she named me for a character in her own mother's lore. And she, my grandmother, was from the far North. Frostfurs are well travelled, it seems."
8 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
This all would be a much slower process if it had been summer out, but at least Pebble had left wherever she had with a full stomach and good condition.. Or pretty sure she did. It'd be a little longer before she was visibly worse off, but she would have to find a pack, as the cold breeze reminded her. I'm glad to know of at least one place I can go.  Thank you!  She beat her soggy tail on the sand a few times before trying to wrap it around herself again. I do wanna see if maybe someone does have a clue who I am, though. Poke around a little at least. Really, it seemed unlikely, but not trying was probably worse than her current status in the first place. 

The answer about names did give Pebble a pang of regret. She could push aside many forgotten things that weren't relevant to the here and now, but it was those that could fall into a history book that were the things that apparently bothered her. Her ears fell slightly. She liked to hear the history, but didn't have her own to share. Do you get to see much of them? I mean, if some of your family is around here I'd imagine that if their names have a similar sound it would be kind of easy to identify, right? Maybe? Yep, she was no longer sure. For all she knew "Fred" was an appropriate name in whatever mythos brought them their names and Durnehviir just got the weird name out of the bunch. If I do remember what names I've got behind me I'll have to tell you if we cross paths again though. Wish I could share some too.  Pebble's past was probably quite mundane, easily matching her pelt and her form. She most curious thing about her was probably that bump on her head.
252 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
When the other wolfess thanked her enthusiastically for the offering of kinship within Ravensblood, Durnehviir smiled warmly for her. She accompanied this with a friendly sweep of her tail, and dipped her muzzle in acknowledgement of her polite decline. She opted not to press the matter; while her pack needed numbers, they were not struggling and Durnehviir would not feel rejected by a loner should they decide against joining Ravensblood's ranks.

With the topic of her family being so tender that she had yet to share the full tale with anyone, she merely rolled a slim shoulder. "We were seperated when i was very young," the russet frostfur offered, "I haven't seen them in a long time. I was raised by my uncle; he settled, I continued to travel." The Teekon was vast, but so was the world. Her mother and brothers could be anywhere, she knew, perhaps not even together. She longed to reunite with them, but Durnehviir had made a vow to herself to live her life to its fullest, with or without her family.

They spoke amongst themselves for a time, and Durnehviir found that she genuinely enjoyed Pebble's company. When the time came to part ways, she found herself hoping that she would consider seeking her out at Ravensblood, and excused herself. With a lash of her tail, the crimson dragoness loped from the beach with a cheerful farewell and wished her well, heading in the direction of home.