the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
open!

Ever since seeing @Towhee and her badass bird, Hydra had designs to get one of her own. Alya thought of a crow, and Hydra had the same thought if only because they were so common and their relationship with those birds as it was had always been good. Crows led to food, and crows knew that wolves could often bring the food. Hydra lay in restful repose as a bunch of crows picked at a relatively new carcass picked off by the Moonspear wolves. There weren't many leftovers, but enough—Hydra rose to a stand, determining that one of these birds might be the bird.

That was until a hawk—was it a redhawk? No, it looked different than Towhee's—swooped down from great heights and literally decimated the biggest crow she had been eying. The others surrounding it made a ruckus but bent to the will of the large avian, that picked on the bird, now, instead of the old meat. Fuck, was all she could think as she witnessed it, huffing in disappointment. There went that.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
Ghost
he came and stole the wild
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Ever since his recent promotion, Rannoch had found himself striding through the territory with more purpose than before; it was apparent that his efforts to keep the pack safe had been noticed. Now that Rannoch had the attention of the mountain's leadership, he did not want to let them down, and because of this determination, he found himself on the borders more often than not. 

Being an individual that was driven by routine, Rannoch broke from his patrol when the sun's position in the sky peaked and to find something that he and @Liffey could share for lunch. He was on his way back to the den that they shared, with a rabbit dangling from his jaws, when he came across Hydra. 

Intrigued by the scene that he had happened upon, Rannoch diverted his route back home so that he could stop and briefly chat with Hydra. To alert the Beta of his approach, the Delta offered a muffled chuff as he tiptoed forward, not wanting to disturb whatever it was she was watching.
a crime so old as the sky and bone
he came untied, solid as a stone
all is almost lost and it starts to show
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
But then the thing looked at her with its beady eyes, and anyone around Hydra could see the lightbulb above her head shining bright like some sort of beacon. Hydra observed the hawk (that was actually a juvenile eagle of some sort) as it observed her, and was decided. She had found herself a badass bird. She knew better than to just approach it, so instead she simply reclined to a sit before sliding down to lay, placing her head gently upon her forelegs.

How did one catch an uninjured bird? How did one get it to ride around on your back? All this she mulled over when she heard the sound of Rannoch's approach. There, hanging from his jaws, was a rabbit. Suddenly alert, Hydra asked him in a quiet voice: hey... can I steal that from you? Her gaze shifted from the rabbit back to the bird that pulled at the feathers of the raven before pecking mercilessly at it.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch cleared the distance between them and carefully sat at her side. Staying mindful of the bird-of-prey before them, as that was what he assumed she was watching, Rannoch delicately placed the rabbit at his paws and turned his attention to his friend. He was conflicted by her request.  Though he didn't necessarily want to give up Liffey's meal he also did not want to disobey Hydra. Ultimately, his need to appeal to the mountain's leadership overcame his own needs and he rationalized that he could easily pick up another rabbit when he was back on his way to Liffey.

"Sure," he replied in a whisper. He then turned his attention from Hydra and surveyed the scene in an attempt to comprehend better what was going on. When he fell short of any explanation for her needing the rabbit, he asked, "What's going on?" 
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra's tail waved as he gave her the rabbit she had requested. It hadn't been a command or anything of that nature, she had asked him as a friend—and that was why she believed he gave it to her. Before Hydra grabbed hold of the rabbit, she responded to his question: I want to befriend this bird, she responded, and before she grasped the rabbit she said thanks!

The Beta gripped it, rose slowly, and gingerly trotted toward the bird. She had its attention the instant she took an additional step toward it. Hydra did not get too close, and flung the rabit in the avian creatures direction.

It was a tense minute of nothing happening. But after the bird head-tilted many times, it took one single hop toward the rabbit. And then another. Hydra very slowly looked toward Rannoch with bright eyes. It's working!!! In no time, the juvenile bird was atop the still-warm rabbit and pecking at it. It's eyes remained on Hydra all the time, though she could not read it.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Caught off guard by Hydra's explanation, Rannoch tilted his head as he attempted to understand what he had just been told. Rather than seeking an elaboration, as it seemed as though stealth was of the essence, Rannoch laid down and watched the scene unfurl. 

For quite some time, it appeared as though Rannoch was going to get his rabbit back. The bird, who was visibly confused by Hydra's hospitality, hesitated in taking the offering. Rannoch held his breath as he watched, finding himself uncertain of what outcome would come of this. When the bird hopped, Rannoch quickly turned to Hydra with enthusiasm and shared in her excitement— it was working!
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The bird ate their fill of the rabbit offered, and clicked its beak in what Hydra assumed was appreciation. Hydra observed the brown bird (who could not have been more than two years old, if any bird expert onlooker was to see it) as it spread its large wings and beat them heavily. In no time at all, the bird took to the sky and wheeled toward the mountain top. Hydra watched it until it was gone.

There was not much left but scraps to the rabbit, but Hydra grabbed them and delivered it back to Rannoch. My friend Towhee just befriended a hawk—it was riding on her shoulders and everything, she said with a wave of her tail. That's why I want that hawk to be my friend, she spoke of the eagle that she thought was a hawk, unable to really tell the difference between the two other than the fact that from afar, her own hawk seemed a bit larger. And it was totally brown (when it came to adulthood, it would change its plumage, though this she did not know—she appreciated its dark hue now, as it stood).
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch wasn't sure what would come of the hawk getting a free meal, and it was yearning to know the outcome that kept his attention. Once the bird had consumed its fill or rabbit meat, it flapped its wings suddenly and took to the skies. Feeling a sense of disappointment at the outcome, as Rannoch had believed that it and Hydra would become friends there and then, he sighed and watched it fly until it had vanished from sight. He was disappointed for Hydra, and he wasn't shy to show it.

Unlike Rannoch, Hydra seemed to be just fine with the outcome. He nodded to what she said in the elaboration of why she wanted to befriend the hawk, and he understood instantly. "Yeah," he agreed as he ignored the scraps of rabbit for the time being; he felt in higher spirits now that it seemed as though the Beta was content with the result. "You've gotta get that hawk to be your friend!" He added with enthusiasm. But how? Honestly, he wasn't sure.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra nodded to Rannoch, totally agreeing. You busy right now? I wanna see if I can find where it went... I have an idea, she said with a laugh, and a wave of her tail. Hydra didn't mind Rannoch's company, and even wanted to pick his brain some more. He was healing well and pulling his weight now that he could... perhaps he could go back to the Vale, if he ever wanted, eventually. 

Or did he want to stay here?

The only thing in the way of that was one she-wolf who, well, in comparison, wasn't pulling her weight—in the critical eye of Hydra, anyhow. And she hadn't even been injured! Rannoch made her look quite bad—the instant he thought himself recovered enough, even when he hadn't been, he attempted to assist. Rannoch was a good packmate.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
As much as Rannoch wanted to embark on the wild goose chase, he knew that he couldn't. He had kept Liffey waiting for long enough, and he was eager to get back to her. With a frown, Rannoch admitted, "I can't right now," as he averted his gaze suddenly. Wanting to elaborate, as he wanted to give her a reason for not being able to come along, Rannoch added, "I promised Liffey I'd come home for lunch and she's expecting me."

Stealing a glance at Hydra, as if to gauge her reaction, Rannoch suggested, "I can in about an hour or two?" 
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra scrunched her brow at Rannoch, shaking her head. She was disappointed he wouldn't join her then and there, and shared as much: you have a lifetime left of lunches with Liffey, Rannoch—seeing a girl catch a hawk, that's a once in a lifetime kind of thing to witness, but, well, he had his plans. With a sigh and a shake of her head, Hydra said, Don't worry about it. Wish me luck, and with that, the Beta turned to wheel off. She galloped in the direction the hawk and flown toward, hoping to find where it nested.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
All Rannoch could do was watch as Hydra wheeled off in the direction that the hawk had flown. He was unhappy with the outcome of their situation. But, even if he had wanted to resolve things there and then, there was nothing that could be done about it now. Hydra was already gone, and Liffey was waiting. 

With a cloud of uncertainty hanging over his head, Rannoch turned from where he and Hydra had witnessed the hawk and picked his way up the mountain so that he could return to Liffey.