Redhawk Caldera Brass knuckles are brass knuckles.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
She hadn't found @Raven upon returning to the caldera, so Towhee carried the hawk to a safe, quiet space beneath an overhang to spend the night. She must have said, "I won't hurt you..." two dozen times as she attempted to coax the bird into letting her curl around him to keep him warm. Instead, he squatted by her tail, puffed up his feathers and tucked his head over his bent, broken wing. Towhee peered at him a few moments, then sighed and put her head on her outstretched forelegs.

When she woke the next morning, she found herself choking on warm, downy feathers. Spluttering, she sat up to find the hawk hunched beside her face, though he quickly hopped aside as she rose. They stared at one another for a beat, then Towhee climbed to all fours and gave her pelt a shake. "Told you I wasn't going to hurt you. I'm not. Now come—" she began to say, only for the hawk to awkwardly flap his one good wing, spring into the air and resume his perch on her shoulder.

"Mmkay," was her only other comment as she ducked out from beneath the overhang and began making her way to the rendezvous site. Raven was probably there, sleeping or maybe fetching some breakfast with the pups. Towhee thought that taking the hawk around them seemed like a bad idea all around, so instead she made her way to the badger den near the far edge of the clearing, where the caregiver kept her supplies.

After dipping into a sphinx-like position so the hawk could bounce off her more easily, Towhee straightened up and unleashed an ungodly howl for her elder sister.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
worlds best dad award winner
351 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
I HOPE YOU DONT MIND BUT I HAD TO <33

What Lagan saw today was perhaps the strangest sight he’d ever seen. He was sitting and grooming himself to look spiffy when he saw Towhee trot by with a hawk perched on her shoulder. Yes, a hawk. A real big, pup killing bird. One eye brow cocked, he stopped in mid lick to watch her walk by. Was that real?

Once she was gone from view and the initial shock left him, Lagan leapt to his feet. He had to know what the deal was with this! He sped off to catch up with her and found her setting the hawk down near Raven’s badger den. He stupidly started to bark to get her attention, remembered quickly that she would not hear it then moved into her line of sight. What the butt? Towhee you know you have a bird right. He said, eyeing the bird curiously.
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Towhee's off-key howl flew through the air with all the grace of a broken-winged bird, and although it made Raven wince a little as she heard it, she also couldn't help but smile. It was just one of those things about Towhee. The medic hadn't missed the summons specifically aimed at her in that howl, so she pulled herself to her feet from where she'd been resting at the base of a tall tree and got moving.

She wasn't far from her badger den, so it didn't take her more than a few minutes to get there. And when she did, she was greeted with a most peculiar sight: Towhee stood with a large hawk perched awkwardly on her withers, but neither of them seemed to be too fussed about it (although the hawk did look a little uneasy as Lagan stood there staring at it, confusion understandably written all over his face). Raven understood that a strange sort of kinship existed between birds and wolves, but she'd never expected to see it manifested quite like this. When Towhee's eyes were turned toward her, Raven said in a soft tone intended not to spook the bird, "Wow, Towhee! What is this?"
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She should have known that her summons—not to mention the sight of a large bird of prey perched on her shoulder—would draw attention. Somehow, Towhee wasn't prepared for it. When a familiar gray figure swooped into view, his face full of wonder, she jumped. Her ears splayed and she glanced behind him to make sure no puppies were in tow, her orange eyes then sliding back to Lagan's face to catch the last few words of his comment.

"His wing's broken," she began to explain to Lagan, her voice cutting off when Raven glided into view, her face equally full of intrigue. The hawk sprang closer to Towhee, wedging himself between her forelegs. She blinked downward at him, then back up at her elder siblings to finish answering their questions. "His wing's broken. I was hoping you could help him, Rave." Her eyes skirted to the side, almost a little self-consciously, as she added, "I mean, he's a red hawk..."
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
351 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Lagan watched, mesmerized with the bird as it stood near Towhee. She explained that his wing was broken, but Lagan still looked confused. So we moved him here to eat him or... He started to say before Raven arrived. When she did, the bird moved back towards Towhee as if he was trying to hide. More than hiding though, the hawk had just wedged himself into an odd position. Lagan inched forwards slowly to get a look while Towhee started to talk to Raven, completely ignoring them.

He blinked at it, head bent down to sniff it. He paused when he heard Towhee say help it. Help it? How? Why? It was injured and birds needed their wings to fly, for once Lagan actually thought it might be a better idea to kill something. He looked up, brows furrowed at his sister. Can you actually fix it? Is it special or something? He asked, glancing from one dark furred wolf to the other.
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Towhee's request took Raven by surprise. Not because of the fact that it was a hawk and that entire situation was completely unusual, but because of Towhee's tendency to be a merciless hard-ass. Though she knew that her younger sister had a soft side, it showed so rarely that Raven sometimes forgot it existed. She grinned with approval at Towhee, feeling a little glow of pride in the girl. The young warrior never failed to surprise her, it seemed.

Before she could answer Towhee, Lagan spoke up and asked if the hawk was "special or something". She could think of a few answers to that, but she left it to Towhee while she instead focused her attention wholly on the injured raptor. Taking care not to move too quickly or get too close, she eased a little closer so that she could get a good look at the hawk's wing. Judging by the awkward position in which it rested on the bird's body, along with the dilation of the bird's eyes (likely caused by stress and pain), Raven agreed that his wing was definitely broken. But what to do about it?

She pursed her lips, eyeing his wing for a few moments before commenting to Towhee by both speech and signaling, -"It's definitely broken. But I'm not sure how I can help him in a way that he'll understand. His wing needs to be immobilized, but I have no means of doing that. I could give him something to help with the pain, but I'm not sure how safe it would be for birds or if he would even be willing to eat it."-
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She missed Lagan's comment about eating the hawk, though she caught his second and third questions. Towhee didn't know if there was anything her sister could do for the bird, though if anyone in the world was capable of mending him, it'd be Raven. In response to Lagan's question, the young mercenary shifted her weight and lifted a brow at him. Hadn't she just said?

"He's a red hawk. Redhawk?" she said, perhaps a little too loudly. Even though he was a Blackthorn, surely he could make the connection to the name of their pack. Her attention promptly shifted to the caregiver as she made an assessment. She tried not to feel disappointed as she carefully turned this information over in her head.

"He's about the same weight as a young pup. Maybe if we used the dose for one—maybe cut in half—that would be safe? I can get him to eat," Towhee thought out loud. She hadn't even really considered that he might be in pain; she had been hung up on the fact that he was flightless and therefore vulnerable and unable to hunt for himself. "Do you think it might heal on its own? He's been keeping it pretty tightly folded." Raven was probably right that he wouldn't let her touch it.

351 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Towhee's response to Lagan's question made it seem like it was a dumb question. Lagan was a little taken aback, for he thought it valid. But of course he didn't take it seriously, he wasn't that sensitive. He turned his head away so she couldn't see his lips moving and mumbled in a whiny, mocking voice, It's a red hawk blehh. Then he turned back to the girls, in time to interpret a few words of Raven's Ptero.

So... they were gonna try and heal the bird. It was pretty cool actually, Lagan started to think about how awesome it'd be if the hawk became their spy or something. He imagined following the bird to sites of prey, and it bringing him little snacks and such. Perhaps he needed one of these big birds to call his own. He let the two wolves talk about their healing stuff, he knew a bit about it but he was by no means an expert.

haha lagan's just gonna stand there and look at the bird and stuff. Feel free to skip, just tag me if one of them wants him to do anything :D
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Raven arched a brow at Lagan's light-hearted mockery of Towhee and half-grinned at the boy's sassiness, but said nothing. Towhee had a good point about treating the bird the same way she'd treat a small puppy, and the more she thought about it, the more Raven thought it might work. She was still uncertain if the medicine would actually be safe for a bird to consume, and she wasn't even sure that they'd be able to convince it to eat anything that wasn't meat. -"Couldn't hurt to try,"- she commented in reply to her sister. -"It'll definitely heal up on its own, given enough time. Hopefully it won't affect his ability to fly. I've got some stuff at my medicine cache that I can mix up for him, maybe offer it to him with a bit of meat?"-
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Wanna wrap this, Houk? :D

Perhaps it could hurt to try; it might kill him. But Towhee figured it was a calculated risk, one she was willing to take. She trusted Raven's expertise, and they would be careful with the dosage. It bothered her that her newfound friend might be in pain addition to being grounded.

-Let's give it a whirl,- she agreed, motioning for the medic to lead the way to her stash. Towhee glanced at Lagan, wondering if he'd come along, then slung her belly to the ground and patiently coaxed the hawk back onto her shoulder. When he had awkwardly hopped aboard and clung, she rose again and prepared to follow her older sister.