Moonspear But keep your fighting spirit alive, boys
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
All Welcome 
Finally he made it to the mountain.  He’d been a little waylaid, but he knew this was the right spot the instant he recognized he scent he’d gotten from Hydra during their introduction.  Was she here? Were her sisters?

Mindful of their last meeting, Gannet kept his distance somewhat, considering how best to do this.  Should he just howl for Liffey? No, that seemed wrong.

Instead he shrugged and began to walk a line parallel to the mountain’s base.  He’d see what he ran into first; someone who could help him out, or a snack.  He wouldn’t go on their land to hunt, every instinct told him what a stupid idea that was, but surely something out here would be fine.
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
(Most thread titles come from Into the Fire from the Scarlet Pimpernel)
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra diligently prowled the borders alongside @Alya and @Lyra, marking every point that seemed lacking. But Moonspear was guarded well, and so it was not too often that Hydra had to pause to reestablish what was already set into their stone. There was a pale figure in the distance, and the trio were quick to move in that direction—but when no sandy hue was noted, her mirror images dispersed after a commanding glance, continuing the patrol.

She, however, did not stop in her approach. As he moved, Hydra did, and adjusted her course when she arrived to him. Miss me already? she teased with a grin, head and tail held in accordance to her rank here although her demeanor was relaxed. Hydra imagined he had actually come to see Liffey, his cousin... but then, if that were truly the case, wouldn't he have just called for her?
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He was honestly expecting food to come before meeting anyone, just due to the chances.  What were the odds he’d run into another wolf so soon? But apparently this pack kept a close eye on things.  He was reminded suddenly of Towhee, and her attitude towards outsiders.  Instantly he was defensive, prepared to be met with a cold (if not openly hostile) welcome.

Instead it was a familiar face that greeted him.  His tail waved his welcome, and he smiled, even as he answered her with the usual open honesty.  “Not really.”  It was obvious even with this that he was happy to see her though.  

Subconsciously he responded to her posture by lowering his own somewhat, completely relaxed.  Gannet had never been the type to try and dominate an encounter.
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
His response might have caught anyone else but her off-guard. But she had heard about this tactic from Alya—he must be playing hard to get. Hydra snickered at his words, knowing that he certainly must have missed her to some degree to have come all this way so swiftly. Definitely would not have done that for his cousin. Noting his posture, Hydra relaxed all the more before she dipped downward and slapped her forelegs against the earth in a quick but obvious indicator of her mindset before she rose swiftly, attempted to nip him, and dashed off in the opposite direction with a loud bark—hoping to incite a game of chase. Adrenaline had struck her from thinking he might be the enemy, and there was nothing like a good run to get aggression out of her system if she could not outright attack somebody.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She snickered, which he didn’t quite get, because he saw nothing funny about what he’d said.  Maybe she was just excited to see him again as well? Besides, it didn’t matter! 

Especially a a couple minutes later, when she invited him into a round of what was practically his favorite thing ever.  Hell yeah he was in.

He huffed out a short, somewhat quiet bark as she dashed off, and he danced awkwardly for a minute before he could read what direction she was heading.  Alright, head start.  Gleefully he began to give chase, and if he got close enough, he’d try for a couple playful nips of his own, to attempt to slow her down.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra took full advantage of her headstart, long strides devouring the earth as she galloped forward. But before she could fall into her full sprint, the leggy Gannet figured her out and was nearby. She heard his teeth click against the air and rumbled playfully, kicking into her next gear.

There was nothing like an all-out sprint—the one wolves fell into as they sprinted after their prey for the final chase. Hydra was infinitely aware that she was that for Gannet, and her heart raced in her throat as her tongue lolled. The cruel winds caused her eyes to grow wet with tears, but she knew her path well, and sharply turned left in an attempt to throw the black-footed Gannet off his course.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She led a good chase; not fast enough to outstrip him completely, keeping the game fun, but she was fast.  He stretched out full-tilt, trying to gain ground and ignoring the biting cold.  Luckily this run would help warm him up!

She knew the territory far better than he did, and while he was used to the slopes of the Caldera, this mountain was another animal entirely.  He couldn’t imagine playing this game up on the higher range.  Even down here at the base, she was able to zip left, and he was left pedaling on the rough ground, skidding before his nails could send him after her once more.

Gannet let out a playful growl and jumped, hoping to cover the ground and perhaps knock her askance.  Running, wrestling - both were a good time, right?
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He was quick, but had to be quicker to catch the nimble Hydra. In her battles, speed was her strength as much as her wit and cleverness. Noting his lunge, Hydra continued to run, only just being missed by him—but then she stopped abruptly to duck, hoping to knock him off his feet in the process, all the while preparing her body for the potential impact of his weight. She hoped such a maneuver, unpredictable as it would be, might be successful—though she would have to have caught him off-guard. Hydra prided herself on her abilities, and as she was a master warrior now, she believed in them.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She was too fast for his jump, but he didn’t mind.  When he fought for real, it was different, but when he sparred Gannet has never been a super competitive sort.  He did it to train, he didn’t do it to win, and he usually just hoped his training was enough to give the other wolf a challenge.

He started chasing again just in time for her to pull up, so he wasn’t quite up to speed yet (thankfully).  He still did have to rear back to avoid crashing into her, and tried to turn that move into a successful attack by throwing a foreleg over her shoulders and grabbing for her scruff.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Ah, so she had been moving too fast! And her own stillness was her undoing in that moment. Though she was a master warrior, Hydra had much to learn—though his foreleg made contact with her back, Hydra used her coiled muscles to spring forward and away before his teeth could grip her hide. Hydra let out a growl—one without anger but imbued with plenty of excitement—as she moved to circle him loosely, watching the way he moved all the while.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Ooc: I’m so tired but omg he’s gonna go inactive :0. Short post is short!

She began to circle warily; he’d managed to at least meet her somewhat, so was that much happier.  Now he made as if to lunge in, but instead, sprinted away with a bark.  This time she could follow instead!

Likely she’d catch the leggy youth, but he didn’t want the game to end quite yet.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
As he lunged, Hydra moved to connect with him eagerly—but was left wanting. He diverted his course, and Hydra, too eager for the clashing of teeth, had missed the sign. Though it annoyed her (and reminded her she would need to practice more), Hydra reminded herself that this was in good fun, and her competitive nature did not take over as she sprinted after him. It would not take her long at all to catch up to him, and her tail waved behind her.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gonna wrap this if that's alright!

He'd run a while, then either she'd catch him or he'd let her, and perhaps they'd spar some more.  He meant to find Liffey, but he found he wasn't in a huge hurry; he enjoyed Hydra's company and the chance to match with someone who clearly had a lot to teach him, but who he didn't know.  There was something fun about being away from home, among strangers, the same free feeling he'd felt when he'd been lost last winter as well.  Not that home stifled him; just sometimes he felt the wolves there didn't see him, not like these strangers did.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
I'll throw a fader!

Hydra and Gannet romped freely, not once entering the bounds of Moonspear throughout their physical exchange. Even when the sky changed hue did they continue to chase and attack one another playfully. There came a time when Gannet did have to leave, though, and Hydra watched him leave with a lolling tongue before turning on her heel to resume her patrol.