Stone Circle I just want to talk to you for a minute, well, make that 30 seconds...
A cheap trick and a cheesy one-liner
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
Private 

B first please!

It had been a lazy trip from the willows to the plains and then through the valley. Stark had kept one plump wing - with feathers and breast meat still attached - to offer to Valette whenever they made it to the stone circle. The cut through the pass had taken him and @Banner straight by what had been Duskvale but the scents were different - and faded. Whomever had been there was there no more and Stark couldn't say he felt bad about that. It might have been a nice little haven but there had clearly been a lot of changes in the past year and he was only hoping that Valette and her pack hadn't also move right on. 

Luckily for his sister since Stark was carting some of the leftovers from the turkey he'd downed it meant he couldn't speak much. Not that they needed it, as in tune as they tended to be with one another, but no doubt they both were so far in their own heads given they'd come back to somewhere they never expected to be. When they finally got close enough that he could see some of the unusual rocks in the distance he'd given a playful bark and his tail had even wagged a bit. He nudged Banner and moved towards the borders a little faster once it's scent had reached them and he thankfully did still smell Valette. He set the morsel down at his paws, licking his chops to clean himself up a bit (no one would ever suggest he wasn't vain.) "Well then. Thankfully we didn't get lost." He said with a little grin before he lifted his head and gave a howl for @Valette - hopefully she wasn't too busy. 

i grew a human and unfortunately as a horrible side effect lost an organ - as such will be slow from time to time.
[Image: gamekeeper.gif] 3/5
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
All things considered, their trip had been rather mundane.  And that was a good thing.  Banner wasn't sure she'd be able to handle some sort of drama-filled trek down South.  This was made even better given that Stark so gallantly offered to carry their gift to Valette in his mouth.  The silence had been lovely!  Stark's periodic grunts aside, she'd enjoyed taking in the sights and sounds of the Valley along the way.  Their lack of conversation also allowed her to retreat inward, which.. wasn't exactly a good thing.  For the better part of a year it'd just been the two of them and Banner would be lying if she said the thought of rejoining a pack didn't make her feel a bit anxious.

Stark's playful behavior drew a reluctant smile from from her.  She'd be glad to see Valette again, but was she really ready for.. all of this?  Banner swallowed hard as she came to a stop beside her confident brother.  Her voice didn't join his - was that rude of her to not also howl? - and instead she took a deep breath in an effort to relax herself.  She had nothing to worry about, really, but even as she made sure to lower her tail respectfully, fretful feelings began to bubble up within.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
to mend all the broken hearts
of all my wrecked-up friends
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette had stepped up from being the pack's provider of food to also a bit of a guardian. Even though she wasn't the best in fighting she mostly marked the border so others knew that she was in charge here. Currently, she was with her children when a howl sounded. Her ears perked up and curiously she listened. That voice sounded familiar. Even though the voice did sound familiar and her pups were bigger she told them to stay before trotting off to the borders.

Valette located where the howl was coming from. She crossed the large standing stones before trotting over to the pair. Her tail was held high. Her claim was clear. She didn't expect a couple though. She only heard one howl. But as she came closer Valette's demeanor switched. These wolves weren't just familiar, she knew them! She trotted closer. "Stark! Banner!!," she greeted with clear surprise. It was a happy surprise though. Valette was happy to see them. Happy to see them alive. She had been worried when she realized their scents had fated in the territory they once called theirs.

"You are alive! How have you two been?," she asked. Her eyes glanced over Banner remembering their friendship. She then looked over at Stark. She had forgotten how handsome he was. Had he always been so big and handsome? Valette quickly pushed that thought away. It wasn't like she had time for that now. She had her children, their scents evident in her coat. "It is so great to see you two!"
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador

Stark hadn't been too antsy before they'd arrived, he couldn't think of anyone else he'd had to really check up on. Maybe that was sad, even the packmates they had left behind hadn't made enough of any impression on him to warrant looking for. Of course Tambourine and Silas came to mind but he had no clue where to even begin to look for the boys. Maybe it was best he let that go for awhile. Once he and Banner figured out what they were doing then they could handle the rest of everything. He drew in a deep breath and let it out slowly, one of those things he'd picked up from Banner and her angry outbursts. Those had been far more infrequent and he wondered if his sister's control was getting that much better, or, if there had just been less to rock her boat lately. 

Those idle thoughts were broken once he realized someone was coming towards them and the familiar dark figure was in fact Valette's. Stark couldn't help his wagging tail, grinning over at Banner when they were greeted so warmly. "What can I say, we're hard to get rid of." He offered before nodding towards the hunk of turkey, offering it to her with an easy grin. "We've been traveling the last year, just exploring. Felt like a good time to come back and see how everyone had been. So... What's new with you? Seems like the pack is still doing well."  Which no doubt was a vote of confidence to her leadership - first hand experience told Stark a pack would crumble without someone strong leading it. 

i grew a human and unfortunately as a horrible side effect lost an organ - as such will be slow from time to time.
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Valette's warm greeting did quite a lot to put her further at ease.  She let out a breath she didn't know she'd been holding and offered the dark-furred lady a small but happy smile.  Hello, she called just after Stark's initial salutations.  Oh, it was good to see a friendly face!  She noted with pleasure how well her friend looked.  Just as she always had been in Banner's memories, Valette seemed full of joy and quite healthy.

It wasn't really necessary for her to say anything - Stark did a lovely job of being both charming and to the point, as always - but she felt she couldn't stand there mute while at a her friend's doorstep.  Quite a bit has changed, but it's good to see that you're still here.  Banner paused to add in a respectful nod.  You look good, Valette.  I'm glad.  If her words weren't so sincere they may have sounded awkward.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette thought it was fun to see Stark wag his tail. She couldn't remember if she had seen him wag it that often before. She returned with a wag of her tail herself. Her posture open and friendly. After all, she did consider them her friends. She grinned at Stark's first comment. She never wanted to get rid of them but she could play along. "Oh yes, because I wanted you two out of my life so badly," she spoke with a chuckle.

Her eye then fell on the meal that Stark nudged forward. He also explained what they have been doing during their absence. Which made Valette realize that the two wolves probably didn't have a home at the moment? "You shouldn't have! I'm a pack wolf we have plenty of food," she spoke. But she wouldn't be ungrateful. She knew that giving such a thing that was important to their own survival was truly an honorable gift. "Thank you," she spoke and grabbed the wing. She placed it at her feet. This would also be perfect for her children to play with. She wasn't certain she should drop that bomb on the two of them.

Valette offered a smile when Banner made such nice comment. She dipped her head in a silent thank you. "Same for me. The pack is still here but some bad things happened as well. The most devastating was the death of my mate Steady. He died last spring. Yep, we ended up being together, but well... Unfortunately, I didn't have him for a long time. I've been the sole leader since then. But the wolves in this pack I can truly call my family which is nice," she explained to the two of them.

Valette then got an idea. "But... You two aren't in a pack right now, right? Would you want to join Easthollow? Snow already touched these grounds and we do have some spots left in the pack if you want. You can say no, don't worry," she chuckled. She didn't know if they had plans to travel again, or find other people to visit, or if Stark would even want to accept her leadership. Perhaps they wanted to found their own pack. So many options. Perhaps she was a bit too forward but she did consider them good friends from the past.
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador

Stark was happy once he saw Banner start to relax a bit, his own comfort mostly road on the way that Banner felt. Maybe he was too dependent on his sister but after finding her to be the only one he could trust for so long - well. Could he really be blamed? Maybe he could. He probably should be. He couldn't help the brief laugh when Valette teased him back, shrugging wolfishly at her response. "Still," He hummed out. "Our mother raised us with manners." He said with a wink - and that was true. While he didn't had much (any) respect for his father he was exceptionally proud of his mother and her memory. 

His face shifted, a frown coming to his lips when she explained that her mate had died. He'd been right - she had taken up with Steady but that wasn't that long ago and they had already lost one another. It was disappointing. "I'm so sorry to hear that." Maybe later he'd talk about what happened with Octavia, but, he wasn't ready for that. Especially not on Val's borders and not in front of Banner because she'd heard too much about it anyways and he didn't need to break down in front of her again. Stark tried not to let himself get too caught up in what pains he'd gone through in the past and focused on what Val said. When she offered a space in her pack he almost wanted to leap on it - it was a generous offer, but he didn't know if that was what the two wanted and he cut his eyes to Banner. 

"You know we're both experienced and can pull our weights, but, we really just came to see how you were doing." Stark admitted candidly as he looked back to Valette. "Do you want to stay, B? I'm good either way." He wouldn't begrudge Banner the chance to put her roots down or to keep going if she didn't want to be back in the Wilds for too long - but they were so far from the Keep and the ghosts that haunted them, and Stark thought that with all that, maybe they could start over for awhile. They'd lived a decent life out on their own but facing winter was different. He'd just be glad it didn't come with all the tribulations of the previous year. 

no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Any lightheartedness she may have experienced from the banter between her brother and friend was gone when Valette moved on to explain her past year in a brief few sentences.  Banner swallowed hard and turned her eyes down, a pained expression washing over her.  The strength she exuded despite losing Steady and being the sole leader of her pack was.. well, Banner had no idea how she did it.  And she supposed that time really did heal most wounds for others because just as quickly as it was all out in the open, they'd moved on.

She looked up again, slightly bewildered at how quickly everything was happening.  They'd come for a visit - with a gift! - chatted with an old friend, gone over her struggles this year, and now they were being offered something Banner truly didn't expect.   Bright green eyes snapped to meet Stark's blue.  As usual, she allowed him to take the lead but she wasn't prepared for him to turn and put the onus on her to make the final decision.

Even so.. it took her all of two seconds to blurt out, Yes!  Banner looked startled and her eyes went wide as she stared first at her brother and then turned to Valette.  Y.. yes.  If you'll have us, she responded, this time her voice low and even.  Normal.. ish.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette listened to their verdict. She kind of expected them to decline. She wasn't sure why, but she saw Stark as a strong leader. He might not want to be in a pack other than his own. Plus the two had been together for a long time and perhaps they liked the nomadic life. When the final decision was in Banner's paws Valette looked with a hopeful expression at her. She was extremely happy to see that they wanted to join her pack. "Really!? I'd love that," she instantly returned.

She really didn't mind having more friends around. Plus she knew both of them were hard workers. Valette's tail wagged. "Well then hereby you are accepted," she spoke with a grin. She hoped they liked to eat bison and wouldn't be too intimidated by their size. She took Stark's meal to bring to her pups. She motioned them to follow her. She casually trotted to the middle of their territory. To the stone circle. She had to place the meal down to talk. "Part of the forest is ours and those fields down below. Most of us spend the night in the forest. Let me know if anything is wrong or if you need anything. It is easy to sniff out the alpha den."

Valette offered them a smile. She hoped they would want to stay, even after winter. But she wouldn't blame them if they did leave. Valette realized that Easthollow was getting pretty full. They were starting to become a large pack. She almost didn't believe it. Valette glanced at one of the stones, the tallest. Steady would be proud of her. She was certain of it. "I guess I will see you around sooner or later." She wanted to give them some rest now and tomorrow she might catch up or chat with Stark and Banner some more. She also wanted her friends to be introduced to her children.

Last post? LETS HAVE NEW THREADS!!
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador

Stark held his breath for a moment, wondering what Banner was going to decide. For the pair of them he was handing the reigns over and let her choose the path that they took. He let out a slow breathy when Banner quickly said yes - maybe she'd been hoping to stay in Easthollow the entire time. Stark couldn't help but smile, looking over to Valette as they were formally accepted and then bid to follow. Unexpected - all of it. He wasn't upset though. He had a proverbial roof over his head and he had a task to give himself to - working for the pack and it's good. As they made it further into the packlands Stark was paying close attention, trying to note all he could from how many males he could pick the scents up of and then the the females too. The children surprised him the most. 

"I'm sure we'll run into each other." Stark said with a smile as Valette gave them a brief tour and then took off, leaving the duo to themselves again. He leaned over to bump his snout against Banner's, smiling gently. "Hope you aren't planning on getting rid of me so quickly...wanna find a place to hunker down tonight?" He asked. They could use with some good sleep and then tomorrow they'd get going. Stark was confident they'd do just what they'd done at the Keep - kick ass and take names. 

last from me! <3
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
And just like that, by some miracle she hadn't forseen, Stark and Banner had a home in Easthollow.  She could hardly believe it!  After a year on their own they now had somewhere definite to come back to each night, somewhere to network and socialize and have a real routine again.  Thank you, she offered in her low voice - gratitude was the very least she had to give in a situation like this!

The short lady followed her friend and brother in sort of a daze as they had a quick run-down of each surprisingly varied area of Easthollow.  Valette bid them farewell for the night and she returned Stark's snout bump with one of her own, though her retalitory gesture was to his shoulder, as was tradition.  Hm, I haven't tired of you yet and I don't think I will, she hummed, feeling totally at ease once more.  You lead the way, I'll be the pillow.  Also tradition.

<3
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass