Bramblepoint With the new day comes new strength
373 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
All Welcome 
Aviana found herself in Bramblepoint this cloudy afternoon. It was beginning to snow, and she knew the forest would provide some protection from it. But, she needed to find a spot to curl up in. Her tail swayed back and forth, a sign of her good mood, and her ears were perked for any sounds. The forest seemed eerily quiet. No birds chirp, no frogs croaked, no squirrels squeaked. They were all preparing for the winter and didn't waste precious energy on vocalizations. Aviana did miss their songs, though. 

Her gait was relaxed as she strolled between the trees, wondering if there were others around. She hadn't met any new wolves since returning to the Wilds, but this time it wasn't because she was hiding. It just seemed fate hadn't brought anyone her way. She crouched down by a stream, and licked the frozen edges. Winter was coming fast, if this was any indication. For a few moments, she simply watched the water flow by, memorized.
[Image: CYEyvJP.png?4]
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
From one of the higher reaches of Moonspear, the forest had stood out with marked interest. Where the tapering of the pack's own wood lay to there hadn't seemed quite a distance at all, and so Dirge had set off while the weather held. But by the time he had reached the edge of the forest medley, the snow had begun to fall again, the once distant clouds now blotting the sun out. It did not deter him from beginning to track for game however, and as long as the snow stayed light then he would persist.

He followed the snaking branch of a stream thtough the wood, passing over fading tracks of this and that. Getting familiar with the surrounding grounds to the mountain would serve him well, and he intended to make good on contributing to Moonspear. But what he hadn't quite intended on finding was another wolf—his own time apart of the wilderness had been pockmarked with no company at all. It was a distraction then, the thought of learning the lay of the land and hopefully snaring a prize was put aside as he stepped in closer to the tawny she-wolf.

"Seems that I'm not the only one out for a stroll in the snow," he said.
373 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
A voice broke her trance and Aviana's gaze shot towards the stranger, an agouti male that came towards her. For once, her first instinct was not to flee. Instead, her tail wagged briefly in friendliness and she gave him a smile. I was actually going to try and find a place out of the snow, she confessed. 

Being a lone wolf for the moment and fending for herself, she didn't want to get stuck out in a snow storm. While this didn't look like it would turn deadly, Aviana didn't want to take any chances. My name is Aviana, she offered, rising into a sitting position and facing him.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
There was something of a moment where it seemed he disturbed her thoughts. She didn't begin with a start, so whatever thoughts may have been, they coulsn'r have been too important. Or she was just swift to hide away her surprise. Regardless of what the situation was, Dirge responded in kind to her tail wave with one of his own. Better to be received well than not and all that.

"Common tale of late that is," he trailed off as she turned to better face him. Everyone wanted out of snow; it was this season's nuisance. "Personally, I find this weather invigorating. It's good for hunting if you know where to look... but these forests also have their hideaways as well." Not that she may have cared for his opinion, he prattled on. "If you've seen some fair game, I might know where a lady could hide away."

Nevermind that he had bypassed introducing himself.
373 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
The male responded in a friendly manner, for which Aviana was relieved. While she didn't automatically think the worst of those she came into contact with, she couldn't deny that there was a worry in the back of her head. Still, she pushed it aside and gave him a smile. 

She didn't notice that he hadn't given his name. Her ears perked when he said he may have information on a spot she could hide away, if she had any information on a good hunting spot. Her eyes glanced around the area as if the woods would give her the answer. Really, she was trying to think back on her recent travels to remember if she had seen anything. After a few moments, her eyes went back to the male. A few hundred yards that way, she said, pointing her muzzle northwest of their current position, I seen a few rabbits out and about. She hadn't been interested in hunting at the time, so hadn't attempted to catch them. She hoped that would be enough information for him, as she hadn't seen any other prey about.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
A moment in thought and she was churning out an answer easier than he had expected. Here too there was the thinnest of threads laid bare; the urge to pick at it and pull until something unraveled was tempting. But Dirge had enough mysteries as of late to go fumbling about and though he did love entertaining himself, deciding if she wanted him out of her hair or simply wanted a safe place to tuck away took too much effort.

"I thank you," he hummed in response, his smile cleaving his jaw in two for a moment. This would make things much easier; the primal pleasure was not hidden—Dirge had come there to actually hunt. "Though fairly, I am also willing to share if you wouldn't be opposed to joining me. Better end of a trade to get a meal and a place to bed down don't you think?" His smile had tapered to gauge her reaction and already in part to betray the prior of whether or not her politeness was a farce. Maybe she did want him out of the way, once she had a place to tuck away.

"No obligation to, of course," he added.
373 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
She returned his smile, thankful this little encounter was going so well. She even straightened a little, her tail swaying side to side as they conversed. She was expecting for him to return the favor of information and provide her with a spot to hide away. Instead, she got an invitation to hunt with him. While she hadn't planned on hunting just yet, she knew she would be an idiot to pass up the opportunity. Food would be scarce in the winter, and Aviana knew she should take the food when she could.

With that, she nodded. I appreciate the offer, and I'm happy to join, she said with a smile. He wasn't forceful about the invitation, and she got the impression he was genuine. While Aviana didn't think she was a great judge of character, meeting and hanging out with other wolves would hopefully fine tune her abilities. 

Standing, she turned to head in the direction of their prey, turning her head to see if he was going to follow. What's your plan? she asked as they walked, wondering if he had any ideas on the best way to catch a rabbit.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
She took to the lead and he followed, staying close at her flank where the path narrowed. It pleased him that she was willing to join him, as two wolves had a better chance of netting their respective prizes than just one alone. For Dirge, he hoped it would up the odds enough to tip in his favor, and perhaps he could bring back more than just a small offering to stow away in a cache somewhere.

"That will depend on what we find," he answered. "Should they be out of their warrens then it would do us both good to keep them away. Can't have them hiding, that'll just make things difficult. But if they are hiding..." he shrugged here, "then I suppose we figure how to flush them out." Quickly, he wanted to add, as the snow would soon send them into hiding nonetheless.

His eyes forward, he pressed in a query of his own.

"Have you much experience in hunting them?"
373 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
She listened as he spoke, and kept one ear trained on him as an indication. She nodded her head, silently agreeing with him conclusion. She hoped the rabbits would be out and about, as they would make them easier to catch. She had never tried fishing one out of its hole. 

She shrugged to his question about her experience in hunting them. I'm okay, I suppose, she replied. I've been wandering for a while, and they're easier to catch than larger prey. I mostly lie in wait and ambush when they get close enough. Saves energy, and it's a good success rate. That was her experience, anyways. But, with the two of us working together, one could flush them, and the other could ambush. Her head turned towards him, gauging his reaction to her idea. Would he think it a good one? It had been a while since she hunted with someone else, so she was a little rusty in planning what someone else would do.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
She spoke and he listened, sidestepping an errant branch along the way. "That doesn't seem unreasonable," was his first comment. Barring the appraisal of the situation they would make when they arrived, it would work. If the weather had been better, he would have liked the wait and snatch approach more.

"Which role would you prefer I wonder, the flush or the ambush?" She was lithe, but was she quick? Presumably said all thoughts, as her preferred method was to grab them. But it was reasonable in his eyes to let her choose, as after all she could have turned him down and left him to do the work alone and insisted he show her what he had offered. But not all of the fairer sex were demanding and for that, he was thankful.
373 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He seemed agreeable to the plan, and she smiled gratefully. Maybe he was just being polite, but then again, she didn't think he'd let a good meal go just to save her feelings. She figured, hurt feelings were nothing compared to catching a good meal when a wolf was hungry. 

She considered a moment when he asked which role she wished to play. Honestly, she didn't want to pick one, feeling as this was his idea to invite her along, and he should take his preference. But, she also realized they were both being very polite, and this could go back and forth forever. You pick one. No, you pick one. She chuckled softly to herself before answering him. Well, since I already have a lot of practice being the ambusher, I could do that. She posed it as an option, leaving him some room to argue if he really wanted to. 

When they were close to the area, Aviana slowed to a stop, her eyes alert and her ears pressed forward toward a small clearing before them. She glanced to the male beside her, and then motioned toward a couple of rabbits doing their damndest to find blades of grass beneath the thin layer of snow.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
Her chuckle drew a faint smile out of him; he liked it when things went along easy. And at least she was decisive, he liked that too. He said nothing to her decision but nodded an affirmation, however potentially unseen it would be. The time for words had stopped—her footfalls slowed as the pathway opened into their proverbial hunting grounds. Already, he could spy out where the snow worked to cover the hare's many trails. It was there that Dirge stepped into the lead, his tail flicking at his hocks in thought.

His steps became precise and quiet as he slunk down to test the air and proceed. Getting to a place that prove decent without alerting the already jumpy game was half the battle. He assumed that she would know what to do and paid her almost no mind; if she found where they were likely to spring forth they would dine well tonight indeed.
373 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Out of the corner of her eye, she saw him nod. Even though he offered no other words, she knew the plan had been set into place. He would chase, she would ambush. Her body was already preparing, tensing in the the right places in anticipation. But, she knew she couldn't over do this. 

They went into hunting mode, words not needed. With a last look to him, she turned and gingerly made her way to her ambushing spot. She consciously placed her paws in the spots she wanted as she walked, being mindful that the snow could crunch under the weight and give her away. She chose a spot almost directly across the small clearing from him. Her eyes, while keeping the hares in view, looked for her partner. Her heart raced as she crouched down, her ears flattening on her head as she waited for him to make his move.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
His place between snow laden stalks of thick grass found, Dirge sank low onto his belly in wait. His companion slipped in and out of view before the snow helped to obscure her fully. It left him in silence, or as near to silence as could have been mustered. He stilled his breathing, no longer drawing in as quick nor deep in anticipation. His heart pounded out a different but imperceptible beat; he was ready and his patience dared to wane.

But it held out long enough for him to pick up on the subtle movements through the brush ahead. A twitch of whiskers and wet nose, a pelt that stood out almost more than it blended in against the snowy woodland—a hare, curious of the newfound silence left in the wake of what it thought were passing wolves. He dusted the fat snowflakes from his head and stepped out, hind legs pushing him along as he resumed his work at the base of brambles. To himself, Dirge made noises about this internally. A hare did not get so easily snared as a wolf in such things. His options weighed themselves as long seconds drew out, his eyes never off the hare he saw. He hoped more than one wandered still, that more than one would hunt for earthy delicacies beneath soft snow...

He had begun to hold his breath, muscles coiled until he sprang forward as the hare shifted away from the thorns. Dirge had carried himself no more than a few steps before he was noticed and then... the game was on. He tore past the thorns and the hare—the hares—scattered with unspoken cries. With any luck, the lengthy delay gave his counterpart time to settle in, and hopefully, hopefully she was ready.
373 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
It seemed like the moments dragged on for hours as Aviana hid in the brush, lowered down to her belly. Being this careful, this precise, having to not make a single sound, was difficult. But, a meal depended on it, and she didn't want to let her partner down. Aviana let out a slow breath, attempting to let the anticipation go. It would only hinder her.

She spotted the rabbits, as well. Knowing he--what was his name?-- would be on them, she chose to watch them instead of him. She stayed perfectly still, and it seemed like time stopped and the world went quiet. All of a sudden, he tore from his hiding spot, flushing out the rabbits. They bolted in a frantic rush to get away from him. Little did they know, he wasn't the only one trying to eat them.

He herded them straight towards her, and Aviana flexed her muscles, preparing herself.Just a little closer, she thought, not wanting to jump out too soon. If she did, they would simply find another direction to run. A bare few moments more, and Aviana jumped out, jaws at the ready as she came down on one of the hares. It tried to change course, but her teeth sank into its hindquarters just as it was about to jump away. 

She jerked her head, slamming the hare down on the ground, and then repeated again for good measure. Lifting her head, it dangled lifeless from her jaws as her eyes searched for the male.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
They scattered this way and that, springing forward with ease away from him. Dirge had singled out a plump hare in favor over the one he had startled and gave it chase. Snow did not deter him as he snapped after its tail, only catching it when a moment's hesitation of which side of a tree to go around slowed it. The life he took was instant; he snapped its spine and neatly crushed it between his jaws with a sharp snap. It was dropped for a moment when another sprinted by, but the tawny Winterheart did not offer it the chase. He seized his quarry again, wheeling about to find the she-wolf in the tangled woodland.

He found her quickly in just a few paces and a smile curled the edges of his mouth. A contented growl left him as he adjusted the limp hare—they had done well, both with something to show for their efforts—and his tail swung high and quick, almost congratulatory. Even with the persistant snowfall, they had managed to make their hunt swift. Of course there was the matter of his side of the offer, but he did not speak of it yet as reluctance to let go of his catch dampened the need for words.
373 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He had been successful, as well, Aviana noted. She realized that this was the most time spent with a male other than her brothers, and she wasn't freaking out. Maybe it was the fact that there was much talk, and she had been focused more on the hunt. Now, they would both be more focused on eating. 

She wagged her tail in response to his, and then gleefully dug into her hare. Blood stained the white snow as she ripped off a chunk and swallowed it. She had forgotten about his part of the deal, not really concerned with it. She glanced towards him to see if he was eating. 

so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
She tore into her catch with haste; he was reminded of a time not at all that long ago when he had been just as hungry. Of course he also hadn't had the opportunity to up his odds of success either. Those had been far and few in between and less so when his ranging had been limited to the span of the hinterland.

Dirge retained his distance from her, setting the hare at his feet to free his jaws. It was tempting to rend his catch apart but he was determined to accomplish more than just fill his belly. It had been what he had set out for originally after all; those caches wouldn't fill themselves. With a shake of his wintry coat to clear the still falling snow, his gaze wandered to the quieting woods, a watchful sentinel of ample patience.
373 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Aviana was about half way through her dinner when she glanced to the male to see how far he had gotten. It was then that she noticed he hadn't take a bite out of it at all. She paused in her feeding to raise her head, her tongue licking the fresh blood from her maw. Are you not going to eat? she questioned. She thought their deal was she give info on the food, and then he on a spot to sleep. She didn't realize he hadn't intended to actually consume the prey.

She watched him quietly then, her expression considering. She had not been in the presence of a male for this time in quite some time. Actually, she couldn't remember when. Then, she realized he had never given his name. She thought to ask him what it was, but she supposed if he wanted to give it, he would have. When she realized she was staring, she turned back to her meal to consume the rest of it. 

When she was finished, she sat back on her haunches and took a few minutes to clean her maw and front legs. When she was finished, she looked back to him. Your turn, she said, inquiring about his end of the bargain. Her thirst had been quenched, her belly was happy, and now she could rest well tonight. That was, if he could point her in the direction of a good spot.

so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
"No, this I intend to take back to my pack," he explained. It was a small offering, but someone would find use of it. There was a sea of faces he did not know within Moonspear, but their scents he was gradually becoming familiar with. In time he believed he would rub elbows with the majority of them, but if he didn't then all would be just as well. His tenure only intended to last until the spring.

When she had finished, it had become his turn to hold up the other end of their deal. "Let's go this way," he instructed bedore once again picking up the hare. The snow was still constant; the aftermath of their reign of terror was swift to disappear beneath the weather conditions. He waited a moment for her to gather herself before setting off.

As the stream came into view once again, he was quick to determine where to cross and led the way. Dirge knew somewhere beyond there rested a safe pocket from the elements from a previous venture in the woods. He had never had a need to use it, but thought the fallen bits of logs and branches would serve her well. This was, of course, assuming it remained unoccupied.
373 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
She nodded silently in understanding. The food was not for him, but for his pack. Her respect for him moved up one spot. He seemed to have no problem with keeping up his end of the bargain, either. Her tail wagged as she stood, waiting for him to lead the way. She would keep several feet between them as they walked, but she was less anxious than when they first met. 

They reached the stream and she continued to follow his lead in crossing it. She didn't speak as they made their way on the other side. She didn't figure it would be very far, so she interested herself in looking around the area. She wanted to know if there were any other animals that might disturb her sleep. Though, if it was secluded enough, she hoped no one would find her at all.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
He found it minutes later into their jaunt, the decrepit mass of wood ensared in its own limbs, set over and against old glacial stones from another era. Nearby shrubbery lent to it seclusion and otherwise left it cozy. He gave a muffled chuff as though to say there, following up by gesturing with his muzzle. It was meager and looked deceiving, but it would do the job. Whatever had lived there before had taken pains to keep it obscured. Dirge paced by it only just and set his catch down.

"I know it isn't much, but it should keep you out of the elements for the night. Not sure I'd recommend staying there long term either." Winter snows, he thought, would surely cave it in. If not from that then the elements in time. Casting his gaze back to her, he gauged her response.
373 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
It wasn't long before he stopped, and so did she, turning her attention to rest fully on him. He gave a huff, and her eyes followed to the spot he was pointing out. She looked, and looked some more, and it was a few moments before she could make out the hiding spot. It looked like just a pile of wood and debris, not a spot for sleeping.

She loved it. She smiled, and her tail wagged as she approached it. No one would think to look for anything here, and that's exactly what she wanted. She looked back to the male, Thank you for this. It's perfect, she said softly. Feeling as though it might be rude to simply slip into it while he was there, she instead made her farewells. It was nice meeting you, and I appreciate you allowing me to hunt alongside you, she said. It wasn't often she came upon others that were willing to help out a stranger, and she would not soon forget him for it.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
Perhaps there was a chord of apprehension to snake into her frame; he watched as she looked over his offer. Dirge set the hare to his feet once again as she did so, a smile blooming onto his face at the sight of her own. It was a rare occasion that he felt he did not come through.

"My pleasure. It should keep the worst of the elements from you for now. Perhaps we'll meet again with better weather," he replied. He hoped their paths would cross again at some point—she didn't seem like bad company to keep. Gathering up his catch for the final time, Dirge turned to head back to Moonspear's borders with a parting wave of his tail.