Stone Circle If I never knew you
Follow your heart, listen to your inner voice, stop caring about what others think.
545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
All Welcome 
Steph hadn't seen @Ezekiel in some time. Contrary to her earlier beliefs, she actually hoped she would run into him. But, it seemed she would have to seek him out. She had decided to try and get to know him, even if Murdock said he didn't like him. She understood that not every wolf would like everyone, and that didn't mean she had to dislike him. She was going to give him a chance. If she could find him.

She had been wandering around for a couple of hours this morning, but so far he was elusive. How did he do that? Was he never stationary? Sitting back on her haunches, she decided to bite the bullet and tipped her head back to howl for him. Then, she simply waited. Surely, if he was ever moving, he would be heading in this direction soon to answer her call.
The soul that sees beauty may sometimes walk alone ~Geothe
Sunny is allowed in all threads, open or private, created by Steph
you are loved, you are loved more than you know
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Nanook heeded the voice, even though the beckon wasn’t for her. Any call from the kids stirred equal curiosity and apprehension - like what would she find them up to now? She had fluctuating hopes for what she’d discover today; her own wandering had crossed her over Steph’s meandering path more than once, and heaven knew what the girl could get into when left to her own.

She let out a soft chuff when the girl came into sight, to announce herself, and that she wasn’t Ezekiel. “Steph,” she greeted and drew closer to her niece. With an eye to the left, she wondered if the girl’s father would come. So far, the woods gave no sign of approach, but still she asked, “Any luck?” She had seen how Steph had received Ezekiel’s earlier attempts at kindling something between them, and truly hoped he didn’t screw up his chance today.
Follow your heart, listen to your inner voice, stop caring about what others think.
545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
As the time went on, Steph's hope of having any type of relationship with her father dwindled more and more, until it was speck. Then, it was gone. Her face fell into a disappointing expression, upset that multiple people told her she should give him a shot, at least get to know him, and he had ignored her call. 

Her disappointment turned into anger; something Steph had never felt before. She didn't like it, but it had taken a hold of her and it was not going away quickly. Her ears turned back on her head, and she felt like she wanted to scream. He had let her down for the first time in her life, and it was never going to get that chance again. He had been absent up until several weeks, then he was promptly announced as her father. If this is what father's did, then she didn't want one. 

A chuff reached her ears, and Steph, who assumed it was Ezekiel, turned towards the sound, prepared to give a verbal lashing. When she saw it was Nanook, her jaws snapped shut, knowing her Aunt had done nothing to deserve it. No, she said curtly. And I don't want him to, she said honestly. He had, indeed, missed his chance. 

354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Given the clear absence of Ezekiel's form and scent, Nanook could have guessed at her answer. Steph merely nailed a finality to her fears as the girl slammed shut her father's book, however opened she'd pried the cover. Her anger was justified. Nanook recognized the sharpness in Steph's voice and felt a stir of empathy.

She drew closer to her niece. "I understand," she said, while she frantically searched for what to say next. Nanook certainly wouldn't defend Ezekiel, heavens, or try to excuse him. The responsibility would be on his shoulders if he ever came about. So did she talk about feelings? Forgiveness? For the flash of a second, she mused how easy things had been when her social life had been restricted to stars and rocks - but the kids meant more to her now, and she imagined if she went back, she would never quite be as happy, knowing what she would be missing here. "You’re angry," she finally settled on, an opening for Steph to speak as she wished - though her own voice ran tentative, ready for correction, or anything, really.
with every heartbeat I have left
I will defend your every breath, I promise
I'll do better
545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
As upset as she was, Steph still accepted the affection from her Aunt. Underneath her anger, she was hurt in a place she hadn't known existed until now. It was a feeling she wished would go away. She nodded to Nanook's statement, not hiding that she was angry. But, she didn't really know what to do about it. 

After a few moments, she stood. I think I'm going to go back to the den, she said solemnly. Part of her hoped her mother was there, part of her wanted to be alone. She supposed she would just see when she got there. Her muzzle reached for Nanook's to give her a lick, albeit less enthusiastic than normal. Then, she turned to head back to the den.

354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
She received a nod, but to Nanook, the small gesture counted stronger than any words Steph could have given. The child's hurt stung the Apaata, and she wrestled with the want to reach out to her in some way beyond her conflicted offer of silence. But was there anything she could do to comfort her niece, or would her actions just make things worse?

Nanook bent to offer Steph a gentle nudge of her nose against her cheek and received her lick in turn. But when she drew back, she did so with the turn of a troubled gaze upon her retreating niece. Surely there was something she could do - something she could try, even if that was all her efforts amounted to. What would Desna want her to do? The thought brought up very few ideas she thought she could pull off, and Nanook wondered - what would she have wanted Scarlett to do for her when her anger and disappointment burned hot?

Nanook bit her lip and stood stagnant, though her body tilted and quivered as if ready to fall into motion. "Do you mind if I walk with you?" she said, tentative and fishing for what she hoped were appropriate words. While she wished to give Steph the space she needed, the Apaata didn't want to assume a thing, and leave her niece in the midst of her hurt, either, and she took a step forward to draw alongside the dark girl. Whether she'd be turned away, or if they'd simply walk together in silence, anything was better than not trying at all. And sometimes, a silent shoulder was a better thing than any words could offer.
with every heartbeat I have left
I will defend your every breath, I promise
I'll do better
545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
She was prepared to walk alone, but she stopped when Nanook asked if she could walk with her. Silently, Steph nodded. She hadn't particularly needed the company, but she accepted it anyways. Maybe her Aunt would even cheer her up later. For now, Steph was holding on tightly to her upset emotions. 

Once her Aunt had reached her side, Steph turned to once more head in the direction of the den. She wasn't sure what she was going to do with the rest of her day. Sleep, maybe? With the rollercoaster she'd had today, that might be exactly what the young pup needed.

Fade here?