Stone Circle The toxicity of our city
Deceased
323 Posts
Ooc — Belle
All Welcome 
AW! Just a border patrol :) (I need to get back into rping with Mawk lol, didn't even realise his drop in the ranks haha).

He was lower in the ranks now, he knew that - and he regretted his absence, those times he'd simply lay in his den alone. He should have been working, he had never stopped doing his duties before. It was, he supposed - or rather, he knew - because of the disappearance of his family, but again he had come to the conclusion that that was no excuse.

He spent the early hours of the morning, when even the light did not shine beams across the ground (one of winter's many gifts), remarking the borders. His paws felt like ice when he first moved them across the frozen ground, but as his body moved he felt some heat return to them. His head turned to peer at a robin flying between two trees, whistling a little tune as it went. At least they're happy, he sighed to himself, though the Kappa's mind returned to his task soon after. He needed to focus.
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Most nights if Banner felt restless she'd get up and wander for a while in an overly-polite gesture to her brother - wouldn't want to interrupt his beauty sleep, after all.  But she found today that morning had been the issue instead.  It was strange, she thought as she peered up at the still-dark sky, to be up before the rest of the world.  Well, maybe not the whole rest of the world.  That damned robin seemed awfully chipper this morning!  Glaring at the cheerful creature, she huffed and moved across the frozen ground to do what she did when all else failed: patrol the borders.

It seemed she wasn't the only one with work on the brain at this insane hour.  Slowing her previous trot to a leisurely walk, Banner called out in her low voice as she neared: Hello.  Simple enough.  She remembered this wolf from the incident at the borders several days earlier, though unfortunately they hadn't properly met yet.  Her social circle had been expanding at a glacial pace and she couldn't recall for the life of her if she'd ever even heard the light-colored male's name.  Er.. not a night owl, I take it..? she asked, eyes widening as her features morphed into a look that was half mortified and half apologetic.  It wasn't even necessarily that she'd said something idiotic (she did) but more that her delivery was so damn awkward (it definitely was)!
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
to mend all the broken hearts
of all my wrecked-up friends
Deceased
323 Posts
Ooc — Belle
A voice called out, speaking a simple greeting. Mawk turned his head slightly, glancing over at the dark coloured wolfess. He attempted to give a small smile, curled tail giving a small wag in greeting of his own. He had gotten used to the odd looks by now, for it was clearly not often one would come across a wolfdog, it seemed. Or, that was what he gathered. "Hello," He spoke in his deep voice, nodding his head. So he was not the only one that had decided to patrol at such an odd hour? 

The Scout chuckled slightly after she spoke, her apparent embarrasment at her own speech humouring him a little. He perked his black-tipped ears forward, tilting his head slightly. "I couldn't sleep, so I decided to do something useful." He grinned a little, hoping his friendliness would help to cover up the deep hollow he felt. "I don't think I ever got your name, did I? My name's Mawk, it's nice to meet you."
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
She let out a quiet sigh of relief when he gracefully didn't pay any notice to her awkward..ness.  Banner nodded her head, silently agreeing and acknowledging that she, too, had issues with sleep at this ungodly hour and therefore decided to make good use of herself.  Apparently if strange wolves could wander so far into Easthollow without using half a brain to deduce they weren't in Kansas anymore the pack's borders weren't as obvious as they'd imagined.

Baner, she offered in her quiet voice, the beginnings of a smile evident through her dark fur.  Nice to meet you, Mawk.  Hopefully with an usual name like that she wouldn't forget it any time soon.  Do you often have trouble sleeping? she asked, more to make conversation than anything else.  Usually when sleep eluded her it was becuase she wasn't able to quiet her mind long enough to slip into a blissful slumber, so having the opposite problem was.. confusing.  Er, you don't have to answer if that's too personal, she rushed out, suddenly wanting to kick herself.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
Deceased
323 Posts
Ooc — Belle
She gave her name, and he comitted it to memory - it was good, at least, that he was making conversation with someone. Aside from Valette, he'd kept to himself recently. He nodded, smiling too at the fact that she made no comment about his malamute-looking tail, and his slightly doggish appearance. That... well, it almost reminded him of.. Illecebra. She'd never found it weird - rather, she quite liked it. He fought with his mind for a moment, silence ensuing as he attempted not to frown.

He shook his thoughts away, focusing on the green-eyed wolfess in front of him as she spoke. "Uh, yes. Well, recently at least." Mawk did not mention the reason for this, but he allowed another smile to creep up on his face at her words. "No, it's quite alright." He chuckled deeply, then gestured with his head. "Would you... like to join me? Patrolling, I mean." Perhaps it would do him good to have some company. He'd spent the last week or so simply hiding away from everyone in Easthollow, his loss when it came to his family having struck him hard.
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Again, he was gracious in his response, and Banner appreciated it in a way she couldn't possibly vocalize.  Several responses were on the tip of her tongue, most having to do with how sorry she was to hear that he was having trouble sleeping, but she kept them all at bay.  Things like that didn't hold much meaning - anyone could give a one-off apology just to move along conversation.  That, and she wasn't really sure how to relate to the lightly-colored male just yet.  Was Easthollow a close-knit pack or did she have that impression simply because she'd known Valette so long?  More time was needed to figure that part out.

I'd love to, she responded, relieved cheer coloring her low voice.  I usually find it very relaxing when I can't sleep, Banner added with a shrug.  Best to stay invovled, anyway.  She offered him a a half-smile and began moving on in the direction he'd been headed before she interrupted his route.  The short lady didn't bother to look back and see if he'd follow along.  It seemed like a nervous gesture and Mawk hadn't done anything to put her at ill ease.  Have you been at Easthollow long?  My, she was full of questions tonight.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
Deceased
323 Posts
Ooc — Belle
He was glad she agreed to come along, it would help to perhaps cure his feeling of loneliness - though he supposed he wasn't really alone. He had Valette, too. And the rest of Easthollow, though he couldn't say he knew any particularly well, despite how long he'd been here. Those from the Bypass... well, he didn't know where any of them were so it was a pointless thought to imagine them sticking around. They wouldn't come for him, and he couldn't blame them really. They had their own lives to live, and he doubted even that they were still in the Teekon.

Mawk nodded slowly at Banner's words, finding himself agreeing quite honestly. "It's one of those things that can allow you to take your mind off something. Simply distract you. Or you can lose youself even deeper in thought, I guess." He shrugged lightly as he walked alongside her. "Besides, it's a job that has to be done." Her inquiry was met with a small hum as he thought. Well... they had been here for a reasonable amount of time, he believed. He remembered arriving with... his family, seeking a home after the Bypass disbanded (a part of him wondered what had happened to the Empress, to Gwen. A troubled soul she was). "Since the summer. It's very nice here, I have to say."
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Mhm, she hummed in agreement, glad someone else had the same feelings about border patrol as she.  It was a routine task - not quite mindless in nature, but had the trappings of something one did naturally out of habit - and the ritual of it gave her comfort even when Banner didn't feel totally settled in her life.  Things changed, wolves came and went, but at the end of the day pack life always meant that border patrols were a must.

They all knew the grave possibilities if any of them slacked on these duties.

It must be lovely here in Summer, she commented, eyes getting a far-off look as the pair of wolves walked along their pack's borders.  .. though Winter is quite lovely, she added with a shrug.  Banner's personal favorite area of Easthollow was the Aspen tree-laden forest, which was charming with a light dusting of snow.  Weaving among them tended to be both a game and soothing, depending on her mood.  Have you had any dealings with Ezekiel? she asked then, green eyes peering curiously at the light-coated Mawk.  It was her sincere hope that the father of Valette's children was not rude on split-second assumption to every wolf in this pack, but she didn't know him well enough to make that call herself.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
Deceased
323 Posts
Ooc — Belle
"Indeed it is," He replied, remembering back when the snow did not cover the land and the soft green grass was visible still. "I love Winter, though not when there are snowstorms," He chuckled a little, knowing full well of the blizzard that had occured previously. It had been harsh, to say the least.

Soon the topic was drawn away from the seasons, and a single brow perked upward curiously. "I know little of Ezekiel, though we did a few patrols together a while ago. He seemed rather respectable." Not for quite some time, but he had thought that man to be fairly pleasant.
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
was on vacation, sorry!

Banner chuckled right along with him, nodding her head a couple of times in agreement.  With as much beauty as Winter brought, the season was harsh and could be unforgiving.  That was exactly why she and Stark decided to take Valette up on her offer of a life here in Easthollow.  They'd done just fine during the easier months, but it wasn't worth the risk to them to tough it out on their own now.

She wasn't sure what to say when Mawk gave his impression of Ezekiel.  Banner just offered him a half-hearted smile before she lowered her head to the ground, inky black nose going to work as they strolled.  Luckily there wasn't much in the way of activity - she'd certainly take that over any sort of excitement at the borders.  Must just be me, then, she commented in a flat voice.  The circumstances of their meeting had been confusing, but the mistake was all his and she still resented him for it.  At least he plays well with others.  She gave a soft chuckle as she said this, attention still focused on the ground as they moved.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
Deceased
323 Posts
Ooc — Belle
Yikes, I'm so sorry about the hold up!

It seemed likely, then, that Ezekiel had done some kind of wrong. He had not been told, nor had discovered himself of any bad actions committed by the male, but then again he had only spoken to him twice. Valette had not mentioned him since that day when he and Cebra first joined. "Though I only spoke to him twice, and fairly briefly." Mawk pointed out, just for context. He did not want to make it out as though he didn't care if something wrong had happened.