Stone Circle what are you up to these days?
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Private 
She let it be for a long while - longer than she should have, really - but now Banner was itching to see how @Valette was doing after the incident.  A lone wolf had wondered far into their territory.  It ended up being a much greater distance than any of Easthollow's adults were comfortable with, obviously.  She let out a short sigh and narrowed her eyes at one of the stone pillars.  The damn things were so big that even in the pathetically-dim light of tonight's moon she had no trouble making out the top of it.  A light breeze ruffled the fur at her shoulders, causing a shiver to run down her spine.  Tonight was awfully cold.  She really should have stayed put curled at Stark's side despite her restlessness.

But B was nothing if not stubborn, so here she was wandering in the dark.  It occured to her that maybe Valette would be up at this hour, though it was much more likely that the mother would be huddled up with her three youngsters.  Still.. she frowned and lifted her nose to the sky, thankful the breeze was heading in a good direction.  With nothing to lose (and nothing to do, really), the short lady headed off in the direction of her Alpha's scent at a slow, meandering pace.  If the small family was asleep she'd be sure to carry on with amusing herself and not bother them, but Banner knew she had a ways to go before she reached them anyway.

Maybe luck was on her side tonight.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
to mend all the broken hearts
of all my wrecked-up friends
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette wasn't normally up so late at night but some of their prey were more active during the night rather than during the day. As their main gamekeeper, Valette felt that it was her duty to know what was going on with their population. Since the bison returned, their herd population was coming steadier as they didn't always have to hunt the elk herd for food.

Valette yawned, feeling rather tired and happy to retreat to her den. What she didn't expect was to find Banner away. Even though, the other female also sported a dark coat she could tell from the movement and her scent that it was Banner. "Banner," she spoke, mildly surprised. "Good evening," she greeted.
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Ah, luck was on her side tonight!

.. but Valette looked tired.  Banner frowned as she moved forward to nudge her friend's shoulder affectionately, head dipped just enough to show proper respect for her rank.  Hi, she greeted in her low voice, a sheepish smile shining through.  I was hoping to catch you up, but I didn't think you'd really be out this late..  She swallowed and trailed off awkwardly.

That was stupid, though - she knew Valette!  There was no need to feel at all awkward, especially when it was just the two of them.  The shorter female cleared her throat and pressed on: I'm sorry, I just wanted to catch up with you after what happened with the intruder.  A pause.  Are you okay?  Her question was asked with heartfelt concern, her eyes softening just a bit as she studied her friend carefully.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette smiled when she saw her friend. She nudged her in return to greet her. Valette bobbed her head in greeting. "I was watching the herds from Stone Circle. I wanted to see if they had different activities at night," she admitted. She liked to know what the herd was up to. Perhaps they would have a night hunt some day. Their vision wasn't lacking too much at night.

"Why are you sorry? It is fine. Just the staring made me a bit tired," she explained with a smile. She was happy to see Banner any time of the day. "I'm alright. I've never done such thing before. But the wolverine attack and then that loner. I realized I want to protect more than I did before. Probably mother's instinct and well, before Steady would..." She stopped briefly. "He would protect me."
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
back from vacation!  whew, sorry for the delay ._.

Her face brightened a bit when Valette explained that she'd been up anyway.  She nodded and made a noise in the affirmative to acknowledge her Alpha's rejection of her apology.  Oh well, at least they were both in good spirits tonight, if not a little tired.

Wolverine? she questioned immediately.  Banner hadn't heard of any incident with such a creature.  Figuring it must have happened before she and Stark arrived at Easthollow's borders, she let it pass by.  It is natural to be protective of your family, she began in low tones.  With young ones, you have more to lose now.  The rest of us - your family - we are here to help you.  She paused and looked up to the night sky for a moment to think about what she wanted to say next.  Having not really known Steady, she wasn't sure how much she could say without sounding trite.  I think he's proud of you.  The dark brown lady sighed softly and returned her attention back down to Earth where her friend and Alpha was doing the best she could.  As it so happened, her best was pretty damn good in Banner's opinion.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
No worries! I hope you had a nice holiday!!
Valette nodded shortly. "Yes, there was a wolverine in the beginning of winter wanting to eat Steph. Grayday and I chased it off," she explained shortly. Valette still shuddered at the idea, her little Steph almost gone. Valette slowly nodded. She was very protective of her family. She was a momma bear when it would come to her children, to any pack mate even.

Valette smiled when Banner spoke about being part of her family. "That is wonderful to hear," she confirmed. She was glad that Banner felt part of her family. That was all she wanted. Valette slowly looked up at the skies. Her mother told her about wolves going to heaven and becoming stars. "I'd hope so. I am trying my best to run this pack," she smiled then. She actually liked leading the pack. She never would think of herself as a leader but things were going alright so far.

"Banner... You lost your mate as well, right?," she started then, softly. "How did you cope with it? Or are you still coping with it? You don't have to answer it if you don't want to. This is just me wondering as a good friend," she spoke. She had talked with Stark about loss and how it could affect the wolf afterward.
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Banner's eyes nearly bugged out of her head - a wolverine almost ate Steph?!  I'm glad you were able to chase it off, she finally managed after clearing her throat.  Luckily she hadn't encountered much activity on her strolls around Easthollow's borders, but now she'd certainly keep an eye out for pup-eating beasts.

Valette shifted the conversation then and Banner exhaled slowly before sinking back on her haunches in a comfortable sitting position.  She hadn't spoken of her former mate in months.  Stark didn't bring him up.  Then again, he didn't need to.  When they'd first left Marauder's Keep together, he'd heard all about it.  Or what she could bear to share with him.  I did, she began in a voice much smaller than she'd intended.   I'd like to say that talking to someone helped.  In some ways, I think it did.  But I have a habit of keeping most of my emotions in a stranglehold.. she trailed off for a second.  Talking to Stark helped when we left the Keep last year.  Ultimately, time was the answer.

The dark brown lady gave her friend a sad smile.  It hurts a little less with each day that goes by.  You won't ever forget, but it will be easier.  If she had an easy solution for heartache, Banner suspected she'd be quite popular among the greater wolf population.  Things were rarely so simple.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette slowly nodded. She couldn't agree more. Luckily her kids had stayed mostly out of trouble until then. The female quirked up her lips into a smile. She wondered how long it would take. The conversation moved to lost mates. She could really agree with Banner on that. Time did heal, but one would never forget.

"You can also talk to me whenever you feel like it, Banner. Losing your mate is one of the toughest things, let me tell you that," She spoke with a nod. Valette was glad to hear that she was doing better though. Valette offered her a kind smile. "I'm glad you are feeling a bit better. Us girls just have to stick together, huh?," she chuckled. She liked that thought. Though Easthollow did need their men. Murdock, Mawk and Stark were all really helpful with protecting the borders and letting strangers know that there was males in their prime in this pack.
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
Thank you, she offered quietly.  Losing a mate was like losing a part of your soul.  For so long she felt.. hollow.  Ultimately she knew the most painful aspect of the whole ordeal was that Buchanan simply left.  As far as Banner knew he was still alive somewhere, having chosen to move on from his life in the Keep.  Self-doubt hounded her for months after that.  Those were thoughts she kept to herself.  Stark likely had an inkling of it all, but he never addressed it directly.  

Clearing her throat, Banner was all too happy to move on with their conversation and it showed with a chuckle.  We certainly do, she hummed in agreement.  Speaking of, how are Clary and Steph getting along?  The short lady tilted her head a bit and grinned: Ezra, too, of course.  She hadn't ment to leave Valette's son out of the mix, but the little guy was rather elusive.  Quite unlike his sisters, who seemed to be everywhere at once.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette just nodded in return. She always liked Banner and they seemed to be good friends before. Now Banner joined she hoped they could become good friends once more. Valette was quite certain that they would be. They were always friends. Valette considered her a friend.

"Oh they are doing wonderful! Steph showed interest in hunting!! It is really fun to see that she is into hunting just as much as I was when I was little. Clary is very eager to explore which is really nice as well as it is one of my other interests so I can help her with that. Ezra is a little bookworm. He wants to know about it all but seems most interested in the borders. All three are so cute," she gushed. She couldn't help it. When the conversation moved to her kids she could be nothing but positive.

no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
A small, happy smile graced her dark features as she listened to Valette describe the goings-on of her brood.  Her friend almost always radiated happiness, but when she spoke of her children the warmth was magnified and Banner found it difficult to be in poor spirits.  If she could bottle up the Alpha's motherly good feelings to sell, she'd surely make a fortune.

I'm glad to hear it.  They're doing very well, she said, her tone strongly suggesting that Valette was a major player in how her three flourished.  She'd looked after a kid or two in her day, but Banner knew the full-time mom gig wasn't anything to sneeze at.  It was even more remarkable that they grew up with essentially one parental figure.  Valette mentioned that Ezekiel had been trying, but that was several weeks ago at this point.  Needless to say, the stockier of the two ladies wasn't entirely impressed with him.

It's remarkable what you've done here, Valette.  Her words may have been serious, but she held a deep respect for her friend and felt it appropriate to verbalize her feelings.  Deep emotional statements weren't really her thing - not that this was! - but with just the two of them, she felt she could be a bit more open.. vulnerable, even.  Honestly, you're a better woman than I, she said bringing her bright green gaze up to match her friend's hazel.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette nodded proudly. She could only nod proudly. She liked that her kids were good kids. They were honest and kind to others. Sure, they would do kid stuff and try to explore further than the borders or other silly things but Valette knew it was just things kids did. They didn't see the danger. Valette was surprised to hear the praise. Not that she didn't expect it from Banner but mostly because Valette was rather modest. "Aw, Thank you, Banner."

Valette then let her mouth drop. "Nonsense!," she instantly protested. She didn't want Banner to think that she was lesser than her. "You are just as wonderful, perhaps even more," Valette returned and then lifted her chin a bit. Because she believed in it. She hoped that Banner's way of thinking hadn't been caused by that mate of her that left. "I'm glad to have you as my friend. No, as my best friend," she spoke.
no love left to rye
376 Posts
Ooc — Mana
wrap up here?

An instant protest made her startle a bit.  Banner's head tilted just a fraction as she studied Valette, waiting for an explanation that she knew wasn't far off.  She drew in a deep breath and exhaled slowly, a small smile replacing the gesture as soon as it passed.  Thank you, she murmured in response.  Internally, she doubted she'd ever truly believe the words her friend spoke with such certainty.

What she said next, however, caused Banner to rise once again to all four paws, green eyes wide as could be.  Best friend?  Banner hadn't had one of those since.. well, ever.  She always considered Stark to be her best friend, but he was also her brother and usually the only one who knew how to handle her at her worst.  Swallowing hard, she ducked her head for a minute as emotion began to overtake her.  To have another wolf declare close friendship with her so openly...

Oh, Valette, she whispered, moving forward to press her nose to her friend's dark shoulder in a gesture of affection usually reserved for Stark only.  Thank you she mumbled into Valette's fur.
and i'm a loser in love
so baby raise a glass