Horizon Ridge We know what we are, but know not what we may be.
248 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
I wrote this post this morning. Walked away. Then re-wrote it. Walked away again. Then re-wrote again. I'm still not happy, but here it is.

Julooke usually had no problem socializing. Like hunting, it seemed to have come naturally to her. She was constantly meeting new wolves and making new friends. She loved it. She sensed a little that Ragnar either didn't care to socialize or wasn't good at it. He seemed to be making an effort to humor her curiosity about him, though. She listened intently. She didn't attempt to repeat the name of his people in their native tongue. She feared she would have butchered it and offend him.

He said the world he grew up in was harsher than the one they currently lived in. She cocked her head a little when he admitted not many wolves like him. He was adamant he would not change his ways, which could have been a stern statement, if not for his smirk. It made Julooke smile. It turned to a frown, however, when he admitted he had to steal, even kill, to survive. The will to live is very strong in wolves- Julooke understood that. However, she could not say she understood how it felt to have to kill someone else in order to live. He was confident his children would learn his culture, as well, and pass it on to the next generation.

Julooke had remained silent as he spoke, her thoughts racing. She took the opportunity now, however, to speak. I've never been one to judge someone else, or how they live, she assured him. I think it sucks you had to live that way, and I can't image how strong you had to be to survive. She probably wouldn't have survived herself. She just didn't have that toughness that would have been required. So, She began. Now that you're here, do you still steal and kill for things? Doing it to survive was one thing. Doing it just because you could was another. He didn't give her the impression he still went around pillaging other packs. He seemed to.... calm for that.

In an effort to lighten the conversation a little, she said, I'm sure your children will enjoy learning about your culture, and passing it on themselves. And, then, with a grin, she said, Maybe I could help you out with that. She didn't know anything about his culture aside what he had just told her, but she was willing to learn it.

Messages In This Thread