Blacktail Deer Plateau Lost boy
1,015 Posts
Ooc — Jay
Joining 
@Grayday @Dawn I haven't exactly worked out the details but basically I'm making it so sunny went out to hunt, it started snowing and he got lost. He got hurt and that's why he's been away so long.

With a noticeable limp in his step he walked through the snow, eyes peering around at scenery he thought looked familiar. It was all so different in the snow, the blanket of white masking anything he might have recognized. 

Eventually he knew where he was and walked faster,tired eyes brightening as he began to smell the scents of home. His fur was still thick and healthy but his body was thinner,hunting alone in the winter was rough. As he reached the borders he lifted his muzzle and breathed in the smells again before calling for his father and sister.
Birdcatcher: 4/10

The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Although the male recognized the howl at once, he still bristled as he made his way to the border. It didn't matter how much he loved his son - there was still an adult male on his porch just a few weeks shy of the mating season. One that had taken note of his mate's beauty, no less.

By the time he reached the border, however, he'd calmed himself enough to greet the boy with a grin.

"Have a nice trip?" he asked in greeting, tail wagging good-naturedly. "We were worried about you."

He frowned as he took in the sickly scent of his son, but that was nothing that couldn't be fixed with a few good meals. Sunny would be fine again soon.
[Image: CYEyvJP.png?4]
What's Mine is Ours
1,015 Posts
Ooc — Jay
The sight of his father was both a relief and made him anxious. He could feel the season change instinctually and despite the fact he had been alone for a while the smells of all the females made him feel...odd. despite this inner knowledge he gave a submissive wag of his tail and dipped his head lower to the ground,showing the respect Grayday deserved both as his father and as the alpha here.

Looking up at him he didn't smile and shook his head "no. I screwed up my paw bad" he said with blunt honesty. He lifted his right forepaw and showed that it was crooked and one of the toes was missing. "Got lost hunting and then got hurt and couldn't come back...I tried dad,I'm sorry' he said hoping he'd be allowed to come home like he was before.

The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday couldn't quite see what was wrong with his son's paw, but he figured the boy was still well enough to have made it back home, so he tried not to worry too much.

"Don't be sorry, Sunny," said Grayday, moving forward to bump his nose against the boy's cheek. "You made it back - that's what matters. Come and have something to eat," the father insisted, turning and gesturing him to follow. The kid smelled like he was starving, and whatever else his instincts dictated at that time, the male could never allow a child of his to be hungry.
What's Mine is Ours
1,015 Posts
Ooc — Jay
After a few moments he lifted his head and looked back up at his dad, finally noticing the missing eye. He blanched and flicked his ears unsure whether to mention it or not. Instead he nodded his head to Grayday's words his stomach rumbling at the mention of food and strode forward over the familiar smelling borders. 

"I missed everyone...I was scared I wouldn't be allowed back because of winter" he muttered. He waited for gray to lead the way studying his father for a moment, relaxing as the realization that he was home seeped in. "I'll do everything I can to help out, I promise"

The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday gave his son's cheek a comforting lick as they walked deeper into the territory, trying not to take offense as he learned of Sunny's fears. It was natural to be afraid of these things, even if it wasn't always rational. Still - he wondered if he'd ever let on that his love for his children only existed while they were useful to him.

"I've told you, Sunny - you'll always have a place with me," he said gently. "You'll hunt with us yet. And if you can't, I'm sure we'll find something for you to do. There's more to life than hunting."

But without hunting, there wouldn't be a whole lot of living. He hoped that Sunny would recover enough to feed himself. If he could not, Grayday could only protect him until he himself expired. He worried what might happen to the boy after his death.
What's Mine is Ours
1,015 Posts
Ooc — Jay
Sunny's ears slowly perked back up and he began to relax as they walked back home. He had worried needlessly, he really knew that his dad would never turn him away but even so...he wondered how many times he would disappear before him and Dawn would not forgive him. Something always seemed to separate him from them as soon as he began to get settled.

Then his father mentioned his greatest fear and he felt his tail sag "it's still sore and gives out sometimes but I'm hoping if I rest up a bit and keep pressure off while I walk itll heal enough for me to run. If I can run I'm sure I can hunt" he said trying to keep a positive way of thinking about the situation.

The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday gave a sage nod. "There are other skills to hunting than taking down prey. You can walk, and you have my nose. You'd make a fine tracker with some work, and we can find ways to use you even without having you run down prey. You can help herd and ambush them," he explained. Sunny would probably not make it as a lone wolf if he could no longer take down his own prey, but that certainly didn't exclude him from hunting with the pack.

"I'd just worry about getting back into shape right now," he said sternly. "And putting on some weight."
What's Mine is Ours
1,015 Posts
Ooc — Jay
He knew his dad was trying to make him feel better and motivate him but the idea of not being able to kill his own prey was heartbreaking. Hiding it from his father he instead decided he would figure out how to balance his weight and run properly again, he'd figure it out. "I'll focus on getting better the next few days, promise but I'm also going to do my best to figure out how to work with this injury so I can function properly. I won't give up on being as good a hunter as you are dad" he said firmly. It had been his goal since he had taken down his first bird after all.

The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
I'm proud of you already, Grayday wanted to say, but he didn't. Sunny would do his best to serve the pack either way, and although it hurt the father to see his children struggle, he knew that all their striving would do them good in the end.

"I know you will," he said instead. The pair continued on into the territory to greet their family once more.
What's Mine is Ours