Stone Circle fragnaam
304 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
A fresh layer of snow had fallen the night before. Murdock spent the morning tidying up his and Poppy's den, knowing that the girl could get claustrophobic when she felt trapped under the earth. Murdock himself might've kept a narrower entrance to their home, but knew it comforted the girl to be able to see the stars through the opening. So he cleared the snow, not wanting Poppy to wet her coat trying. By mid-morning, there was a sizeable circle of dirt all the way around their den, and the excess snow had been smoothed flat so that nothing could sneak up and hide behind it while they slept.

Household chores thus finished, the male went out into the territory, wondering if he'd finally run into Steph this time, of if he'd be waylaid once more by another of his packmates, or by Poppy herself.
[Image: AIUhSFO.png?2]
Follow your heart, listen to your inner voice, stop caring about what others think.
545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Steph had successfully avoided Murdock since his return at the borders. She knew where the den was, their scent was all around it. So, Steph knew where not to go. 

She was feeling exceptionally green lately, and it didn't seem to give any indication of fading. She had been used to Murdock's attention, and had needed that upon his return. Instead, his focus was on Poppy.

She had woke up particularly grumpy this morning and left the den early. She didn't expect to run into anyone, which is why she didn't see him until he was a few yards away. 

She froze as her eyes took him in, glared at him. He smelled heavily of her, and Steph"s ears flattened with the realization. 

The once joyful pup no longer stood before Murdock. No, this was a woman scorned.
The soul that sees beauty may sometimes walk alone ~Geothe
Sunny is allowed in all threads, open or private, created by Steph
304 Posts
Ooc —
This time, it was Steph that he ran into first. His tail wagged as he drew closer, thinking that she'd stopped to allow him to catch up. "Hey, Steph," he called to her, hoping she wouldn't know how hurt his feelings were. He'd been gone a long time, and he knew he couldn't expect her to have saved space in her heart for him. And, in fact, he drew up short when he saw the glare on her face, his heart plummeting down out of his chest and into the icy slush below.

"What's your problem?" he asked, his own brow furrowing.
Follow your heart, listen to your inner voice, stop caring about what others think.
545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
So many different reactions coursed through her at his question. Anger, hurt, sorrow, and disbelief that he didn't know what her "problem" was. She had no idea on which one to let loose, and being so young, she had no experience on how to handle them.

So, she let them all go. You are! she growled out. You just left! You didn't even come tell me you were leaving, you had Mom do it! she yelled, her anger giving her courage to take a few steps forward. She may have only been four months old, and much smaller than Murdock, but she sure didn't feel that way right now. Her anger made her feel enormous. And then you come back with some bitch and you spend all your time doting on her, and making sure she's okay, and I'm supposed to be okay with that? The question was rhetorical, and Steph continued in her rant. I needed you! I waited! You were supposed to be the one I could count on! Dad left, but you... You were supposed to be here!

Tears flooded her eyes and ran down her stony expression, and her sides heaved with the exertion of yelling at him. She had no choice but to stop talking in order to breath.
304 Posts
Ooc —
The breath whooshed out of him when she began yelling - he felt bad for snapping at her at once, but he still wasn't happy about the dirty look she'd thrown him, or the way she'd been avoiding him. And yeah, he thought it was pretty unfair of her to be mad at him for visiting family, but she was young, so he didn't expect her to understand and couldn't hold it against her.

But he was still upset, and when she'd finished her tantrum, he was still fighting all the knee-jerk reactions that were clambering on his tongue.

"You're not the only one with missing family, babe," he said to her. "I had the chance to reconnect with mine, and I took it. I'm sorry that took so long, and I'm sorry you couldn't come with. But I'm here now, and I'm not going to apologize for going to visit." His eyes remained narrowed, his expression quite obviously hurt. "Now, I've been back home for more than a week, and you haven't come to see me even once. I've been all over, doing my best for this pack, and if you'd looked for me at all, you'd know that. So you can stand there and stay angry with me all you want, but don't act like I'm the one that's been avoiding you. I wanted to talk to you when I first got here, and you just walked away. At least I wasn't trying to hurt you."

He stood across from her, not walking away, but not getting any closer, either. He still hadn't forgotten that she'd called Poppy a bitch - Murdock didn't even know where she'd learned that word - but it didn't really matter at the moment.
545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Steph bristled when she was accused of missing Ezekiel, instantly offended by it. I don't miss him, I missed you! I thought that when you came back, everything would be like it was before. Before she had attempted to get to know Ezekiel, only for him to stand her up. She could get over that, because she had Murdock. Had.

Steph didn't try to pretend she wasn't avoiding him, but nor did she confirm it. You can't tell me that in between all that work, you aren't spending it with her. She sleeps with you, she's all over you. Steph remembered when it seemed like all he did was play with her. How did so much change with the presence of one female?
304 Posts
Ooc —
Inwardly, Murdock bristled. "Well, I missed you, too!" he said, hurt and exasperated. "I don't know what you want me to tell you. I thought things would be the same, too. But you won't come near me, will you? And that's my fault? Is it Poppy's?"

He huffed when she brought up the dog again, wishing he'd left her out of it as well. This had nothing to do with her, in Murdock's opinion, but she couldn't seem to let it go. "And you sleep with your mom. How come I don't get to sleep with someone?" he demanded. God, this was starting to sound weird. "You were my only friend before Poppy, you know that? And I was happy on my own while you played with your siblings and slept with your mother. And Poppy doesn't mind when I'm out all day. She's out all day, too. You're the only one who seems to think I should only have one friend. How fair is that, Steph?"

His anger had passed, now, but he wasn't going to back down while Steph was having a fit like this. He'd done nothing wrong, and he wasn't going to cave in just because his heart ached when she looked at him like that. It wasn't fair or appropriate, in his opinion, for her to be so possessive of him, and he wanted her to see that she was asking unfair things of him.
545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
In the coming days and weeks, Steph might look back on this and realize that Murdock was right. He deserved to have friends of his own. But, right now, Steph wanted it all or nothing. Her hurt left no room for Poppy, and she wasn't going share.

Go have your friend, then, she said. Her voice wasn't elevated, nor did it hold any emotion. Steph had let it all out and now she felt numb. Murdock wanted Poppy and Steph would let him have her. She turned to leave, to go get lost deeper in the forest. Her tail hung lifeless behind her and her muzzle was pointed towards the ground, her eyes scanning just enough in front of her to avoid the trees.
304 Posts
Ooc —
Murdock sighed, watching Steph go with a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. Part of him felt as though he should have handled this differently. She was only a girl, and maybe talking to her like she was an adult wasn't what she needed. But he didn't know how to handle children - he'd never had the chance to practice at such things - and thus, couldn't think of how else he should have handled the situation.

Instead, the male went off in search of @Valette, wanting to give her a play-by-play of the conversation and to ask her to show Steph a bit of extra love for him. He got that she didn't want his love if she couldn't have it to herself, but it didn't sit right with him to have her go without it.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette was doing a rather dirty job, cleaning out one of the caches. She didn't mind doing it as it needed to be done. She only disliked her own smell afterward. Valette decided that she would just have to rub herself against the snow to get clean of the smell. Once she was done did indeed rubbed herself against the snow, perhaps a rather silly sight.

She didn't expect Murdock to show up. Valette pushed herself into a sitting position and looked at him curiously. His face told her something was up. "Hi Murdock, is something wrong?," she asked curiously, with a hint of worry.
304 Posts
Ooc —
Valette didn't take long to find. By the time Murdock reached her, he still wasn't quite sure how to start this conversation. It felt a lot like tattling to him, but whether he liked it or not, he knew that it was valuable for Valette to know what was going on in Steph's life. After all, who would know better what to do for Steph than her mom?

"I'm worried about Steph," he began, ears flicking back as he spoke. "She's been avoiding me since I got back, and just now when she saw me - " Murdock gave as short a run-down of their conversation as he could without leaving anything out, even some of the more hard-headed things he'd said to the woman's daughter. It was beyond him that he should've been pulling his punches - he didn't know how to talk to kids.

"She was very angry, and very hurt," he finished, ears now drooping on either side of his head. "I don't know what to do."
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette watched how Murdock seemed hesitant for a moment to start. Valette tipped her head a bit in question. However, soon after the male started to speak. She was surprised to hear about Steph's outburst. She hadn't been too surprised that Steph didn't want to see him. The female slowly nodded to indicate that she was listening. It was quite worrisome that Steph was so attached.

"I think it is a combination of things. Ezekiel isn't really a father for her, I am not sure they even talked. Grayday was visiting here, and he brought his kids, Clary seems to miss them. Perhaps that is the same for Steph. On top of that, you came home with that dog. I think she just had a lot of disappointment lately," Valette spoke thoughtfully.

"I think she sees this Poppy-girl as a threat. Before you left, you would hang out a lot with her, Mur. I think she feel like she has been replaced while you were away," Valette inhaled softly. "I don't know what is the best way. I can talk to her about it for you. She is quite stubborn though, so perhaps you need to give her some time. Let her approach you again? Otherwise she might feel forced or pushed."
304 Posts
Ooc —
Murdock huffed as Poppy was brought up again. Everyone seemed to think she was some sort of problem, but Murdock spent little time with her away from their den. He said as much to Valette, and went on, "I've been lookin' for her to spend time with her, but she's been avoiding me." By his expression, one might glean that he was far more concerned than irritated by this fact, though his tone seemed to say otherwise. "I care about Poppy, but I didn't bring her here to replace Steph." He was quiet for a moment, a sullen, ruminative expression on his earthy face. "My kids have all been dead for years. I never wanted more after I laid 'em down. But when Steph started comin' to see me, it got me to thinkin' how I'd probably be a granddad by now, if they'd survived. She's got a special place in my heart, that girl - one I thought would never open up again."

But he didn't know how to make her see that when she couldn't accept that Poppy was now his companion as well.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette disliked hearing that things weren't going to so well for Murdock and Steph. She could understand that Steph didn't want to see Murdock at the moment. Probably because she was hurt. "Perhaps Steph doesn't know that? Maybe she assumes the worst and thinks Poppy is here to replace her?"

It wouldn't be that strange to assume that Steph would think such a thing. "Murdock," she spoke softly as he told her about his past. "I know you two are close. I will talk to her and see if there is any reasoning inside of her. She is just a hurt little girl. I am sure she will come to reason eventually," Valette spoke and nodded in compassion.
304 Posts
Ooc —
Murdock's ears fell flat against his head as Valette mentioned that Steph was hurting, and only just a little girl. "I don't know how to make her see," he said gruffly, not quite comfortable with the amount of emotion he was showing Valette. "She won't listen to me. Just because I have another friend now doesn't mean how I feel about her changed."

He'd said as much to Steph, but the girl hadn't believed him. "What can do?" he asked her, eyes pleading. It was all well and good for Valette to talk to Steph, but Murdock knew there needed to be something more said between the two of them as well. How was he supposed to fix this?
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette briefly wondered what he could do. She thought what she would want to see. "I would stay stop talking about it, and show her. She might not believe your words so maybe deeds can show her that you still care," she pointed out. The female quirked up her lips into an apologetic smile. She wasn't a counselor but she would try to diffuse the situation between the two as much as she could. She felt like they were both hurt by the situation. "Perhaps show her that she can be friends with Poppy as well? That she is good enough and not being replaced. Point something out to Steph she can do and poppy can't?"

304 Posts
Ooc —
Murdock gave a little sigh. He didn't know how he was supposed to show Steph he care if she didn't even want to see him, but it was still better advice than he'd been able to give himself. It seemed as though Valette was nearly as stumped as he was. He didn't agree that it would be good to compare Steph to Poppy. As far as he was concerned, he didn't owe the girl an explanation on his friendship with the dog. He didn't belong to her, and he wasn't going to let some little girl rule his social life. He wasn't going to spend his days waiting around for Steph to get bored and come visit him.

"Thank, Val," he said in a tired voice, effectively closing the conversation. He was not in the mood for company anymore, unless Poppy was willing to take a break from her busy schedule to console him with pity cuddles.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette let out a soft sigh. "I'm sorry I can't help more. I will talk to her about this and perhaps make her see your side, alright?," she spoke to Murdock. Valette might need to talk to Banner about this conflict. She was not a counselor or mediator. Perhaps she could ask her friend for advice. "Keep me updated. I will try to help both of you guys with this," she promised with a firm nod. This was mostly also for herself. She didn't want her daughter to be unhappy. She really looked up to Murdock and now that had vanished a bit. She hoped that it would all be well in the end.