Moonspear I saw the sign and it opened up my mind, and I am happy now living without you
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
attn: @Gannet

Hydra brought a large, meaty thigh from a relatively fresh kill for Gannet to eat. She had news for him, as she had had news for her mother and father. With a sigh, she felt great annoyance that Gannet had gotten himself into this situation; he would be the perfect wolf for Moonspear, with his tough nature and his ability to take the emotion out of it. He did not so much as shed a tear over what had occurred, and she doubted he ever would. Her own sister was weak-minded and pathetic, which was rather disappointing—but their day of the family argument made Hydra realize that Korei Julia would rather see her family die than survive. That was really all Hydra needed to know to feel her protective nature over her dimwitted sister fade to black.

She brought with her the truly appropriate herbs for any pain he might be enduring. Lyra said that he might be able to use his leg in a months time, and had set his leg against a straight piece of wood to keep the alignment right. Hydra knew that Lyra was the best woman for the job, and that he would regain use of his leg so long as he followed her instruction. Hydra wanted that, which was why she was a frequent visitor. 

Her tail waved as she entered the den, whuffing over the meat she carried, checking to see if he'd mind company.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet was awake when Hydra came, and the scent of the meat preceded her, causing his mouth to water.  These were the only times when he felt a flicker of irritation at his situation; despite his easygoing nature, he did not like to feel a burden, and he was aware he depended entirely on this strange pack to provide for him.  It did not prick at his pride; he was fully capable when not injured, and did not doubt this.  But he hated feeling useless, even for a brief time, and lying here had lost its shine long ago.

Leveling his good leg under him, Gannet slowly sat up, taking care not to move his broken leg overly much.  It twinged as he shifted, but was not unbearable, and he would take whatever mobility he could right now.

When she entered, he greeted her with a smile and a thumping tail, obviously pleased as usual with the visit.
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
(Most thread titles come from Into the Fire from the Scarlet Pimpernel)
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Had Hydra knew of his irritation, she would have empathized. To be useless was the worst. But, given his uselessness was the fault of their own, he was fortunate in not feeling like a burden to her. She brought the meat to him with a waving tail when he permitted her presence and dropped it down where it was accessible to him. 

I wanted to talk to you about your going home, she started. The Caldera knows you are here, and of the situation with your leg. I personally would bring you today if I could, but there is an impending storm. There is also ice to account for. I could not justify bringing you home if it meant you becoming more injured to the point of never being able to use that leg again. At least, not during the storm. Though it is your life, and your leg. What is it you want? She asked, ears flicking. After the storm passed, perhaps they could take him back.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He thanked her with a smile, beginning to eat as she spoke.  His ears pricked attentively as she did so, and when she had finished, he raised his head, licking his lips thoughtfully.  He wanted to go home, of course, but not urgently.  He'd been gone for such an extended period that if they had missed him, they did not now, and they knew where he was.  What she said made sense.

"Ok."  He agreed, happy to comply with what she had decided.  "If you want, I'll stay."  It was easy as that.  These were their lands, and that decision rested on their shoulders; if they booted him at any point, he would understand, and would attempt best he could to make the journey back - aided or not.  In Gannets mind, he was responsible for the pack, but none but he were responsible for himself.  

"Just like last winter," he said, a touch of amusement in his tone.  Then he hadn't been hurt, just lost, but a temporary pack had let him run with them all the same.  It had been fun, but they hadn't been family, and they had not trusted him.  Exactly the same, honestly, aside from perhaps Liffey and Hydra.  There had not been their like there, or perhaps he wouldn't have been so quick to leave come spring.
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
His response warmed Hydra, and she nodded. I want. But only because I want you well again, she spoke in earnest. If you want to leave at any time, it is up to you. I can only recommend things, Hydra explained. He was no prisoner, and Hydra liked him enough to not will it to ever be that way. Hydra fell onto her haunches and then slid down on her belly, army-crawling nearer to him, tail thumping the earth complacently. 

She moved to rest her muzzle near his paws and between her own. It was a gesture of trust; Hydra, frankly, thought Gannet was one of the few white wolves in the world worth anything bar her father. She imagined that the rarity of wolves like Charon and Gannet were such that all others of their complexion must be simple. That had to be it. Galaxy, may she rest in peace, was similar to Korei Julia. Too similar, maybe. Who knew? Hydra comforted herself in thinking so. It made the sting of her loss significantly less. 

Her ears pricked at his words. Last Winter? she queried, blue eyes lifting to look at him. What happened then?
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet nodded.  It had been made clear to him by some he wasn't desired here, but Hydra had never made it seem that way, so he took her words carefully and would heed her advice.  Besides that, there was solid sense in it, and the idea of injuring himself more was not a good one.

She settled in, and he automatically slid over, laying down so that their shoulders touched.  He was a wolf who had never been shut off in emotion or contact; he enjoyed being free with both among friends.  "I got lost.  I went hunting, and it snowed a lot."  He smiled at the memory; it wasn't something that embarrassed him at all.  It had been his first real encounter with the snow, and while it had been harrowing at the time, he had taken a lot away from that trip. "I was gone all winter."

Then he paused.  It had him thinking about home again, which brought her parents fresh to his mind.  "Your family hates mine.  For more than this."  He left the question unasked, but it was somewhat implicit.  Did she know why?  It was funny for him to think about; far as he could remember, he had heard nothing about this mountain pack, ever.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra remembered Wraen had got lost in the heavy snows. Yet another reason they ought not to head out in this weather; it seemed unwise for more reason than one. His fondness of the memory wasn't lost on her, and she tilted her head, curious. Did you like being away? He had come home; if he did enjoy being away, Hydra knew now that his familial ties were more important to him than anything else. 

She could understand that. 

Shoulder to shoulder, Hydra nosed his good leg lightly and peered at the broken one. Lyra thinks it is healing well, so hopefully it will not be too long where you are immobile... does it hurt badly, still? She asked with concern. When he asked his next question, Hydra looked thoughtful for a moment. Alya had very recently shared a story with her in regards to the very thing Gannet put before her. 

The Ostrega looked back to him. There was a famine, and I think your pack endangered ours with a risky move during some hunt. Moonspear wolves were collateral damage in a wolf named Peregrine's divebomb for a sheep that took a tumble. I wonder if anyone got to the sheep, Hydra looked thoughtful at that. Had causing this vendetta been worth the risk for that Peregrine? She had no idea that the wolf she spoke of was his father. Hydra glanced at him. My mother was pregnant with me, at the time, on top of that. If our family is endangered, my father isn't very forgiving. Hydra could relate to that. Hydra sighed. I don't know that that really effected my father's view of Redhawk, though. I think he is angry and hurting right now, and since he cannot get to Titmouse, he is looking for another goat. A scapegoat, she grinned at the pun, before frowning at the meaning.

Hydra looked to her paws. He is grieving. All of our family is, he knew that, though if he had not gone through it, not seen a life that could have been saved and been able to do nothing but see another run from it... he might not understand to the full extent what was being endured by them. I am sorry that it seems to be at Redhawk's expense. If it's worth anything, I have no desire to harm those at the Caldera. Just Titmouse. She looked away, feeling only moderately guilty about that. This was his brother, after all. But that she could not apologize for—just as she would not expect him to apologize if they were in a reverse scenario. To comfort him, Hydra thought to say, If it were any other pack, it would be just the same. They were lovers, and because of this, they were fighters.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He shrugged when she asked if he liked being away.  He hadn't minded it, but he'd been glad to be back.  "I saw a lot," he said, thinking back on it. "It was good."  He was glad it happened, even if it hadn't all been great.

"Not too bad, but yeah."  He looked at it as well.  It hurt when he moved, and it definitely felt wrong, but it wasn't wrong in a dangerous way.  No infection or burning. Lyra had done him a favor, even if she seemed to regret it.

He didn't laugh, but he did stare at her as she told her story.  His da had done what now?! Dive bombed a sheep? He tried to picture the absurd situation, and he supposed it did fit Peregrine's brash nature.  He knew he couldn't show favor on it here, but it had been part of what he loved a lot about him, so he actually enjoyed the reminder.  It gave him a surprise pang to think on it.

"Sounds like him."  Gannet said, looking down somewhat subdued.  "But I think you're right."  He thought back on their visit to him, the way they'd threatened, tried to get information.  "They don't want me here.  But they don't want me gone."  It was an odd position to be in, an uncomfortable one.  He hated the feeling it gave him, but he understood it.  And if he wanted to live, he had to deal with it.  She was right though.  It would be the same in any pack if they thought what these ones thought.

"Who are the ones that look like you?" He asked, abruptly changing the subject.  He didn't really like dwelling on a thing he couldn't change, not when she hadn't been a part of it.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra felt only a little bad for him. He'd gotten himself in this situation, but he was also her friend, so because of that she felt for him. But only a little bit. He knew what he'd been running into, after all. And would the Caldera have behaved differently if the tables were turned? Would any family in their right mind? Anyway, the story reminded Gannet of his father, so the origin of that was true, which she never doubted to begin with. And anyway, it's up to us to change that. I'm good friends with Towhee. She's who I let know that you're here, she informed. And then there's you. I think you can make a lasting impression, too, her tail waved. I know it's easy for me to say but... just give it time. To grieve, and to realize Gannet wasn't Titmouse or the whole of the Caldera. You've been injured enough already, and that's not their drive or desire, he was not who they were after. Though they might seem willing, and Hydra would not undermine them to think that they wouldn't if Gannet didn't push, she did not think he was a total moron. I mean, I say that with faith that you won't push buttons. No promises if you do that, she admitted. Hydra wouldn't tolerate that on a good day—and these were not good days. 

Sensing he wanted to change the topic, Hydra obliged him and told him about her mirror images. 
fade???!
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
<3!

He nodded; the things she was saying had already been his thoughts, and he believed them. He had a ways to go to prove himself, true, but it no longer seemed hopeless. And he would have friends to help him do it. He might be able to make a good impression before he went home.

He could at least not make things worse.

She spoke of his sisters, and he listened, realizing that the one who had cared reluctantly for him was Lyra all along. Alya he had seen little of, none in his mind, because if he had happened by he would have assumed her Hydra. Perhaps he would need to find her someday and make an introduction. Not that it mattered overly much right now.