Whitewater Gorge one we say, off we go
dayvan cowboy
99 Posts
Ooc — Laur
All Welcome 
For @Forrest! Fiadh welcome to jump in if she wants!

The scowl hadn't left his face as soon as the small group had set foot outside Redhawk Caldera's territory. He followed along obediently, but his orange eyes were always searching for a chance to escape the watchful eyes of the adults. Tegan had been excited about the prospect of less supervision but, if anything, this just felt like more. Lagan had already twice wrangled him back and gave him a stern warning, and Lucca was all the more bitter for it.

A few days into their journey, and the group settled within a dark forest. The pups were allowed to roam, but not without an adult shadowing their every move. But when Clover made a ruckus in the distance and Raven was called away to check on her, Lucca seized his chance. He thought for a second about grabbing @Fiadh so they could explore together but he knew time was against him, so the boy simply bolted.

He was giddy by the time he arrived at the edge of a gorge, a proud grin plastered across his face. He did it! Of course, it wouldn't take long for the others to realise he was gone and he knew the consequences would be severe, but the young Blackthorn relished in the moment. Freedom! The rush of waters below caught his interest as he wandered as close to the edge of the cliffs as he dared, ears pricked forward as he listened. Despite the smattering of snow on the ground, the sky was crystal clear and the sun highlighted the shimmering rapids below. He peered curiously along the ledges, wondering just how he would be able to get down to check it out.
101 Posts
Ooc — tweety bird
Cool if this is set before this thread?

The journey had been arduous, let Forrest's old body tell it. Every few yards she would stop to collect her breath, then start trotting off again in hopes of finding some sign of life. The sun was now high overhead and though its slight warmth provided some degree of comfort, she knew that she'd have to settle soon, though not for long (a few hours at most). Forrest had things to see, places to discover; there was too much work to be done for her to stop any longer.

As she crossed onto a series of ledges, intrigued by the sound of rushing water below, a smaller form appeared in the distance. Forrest had to squint her eyes to really make out what it was, but once she did, she immediately sped up a few paces. Hey, sweetheart, she cooed softly, hoping not to frighten him, You're a little close to the edge, don't you think?
"Life is a winking light in the darkness."
Hayao Miyazaki
dayvan cowboy
99 Posts
Ooc — Laur
Totally cool! <3

It was a fair way down, enough for Lucca to know that he would not survive if he slipped. That alone quelled his excitement, his budding analytical mind judging which route would be safest. He took a tentative step on a small, jutting ledge before a gentle voice caught his attention. Orange eyes strayed from the rapids below and focused on a pale woman who had materialised.

"No, I'm not," he retorted, though he did take a small step back thinking she wouldn't notice. For all his bitterness towards the adults and his parents who had made them go on this journey, deep down Lucca was still a sweet, respectful mama's boy. "I just wanted to look!" he added, almost defensively but his tail waved in a friendly manner, curious about the stranger. She had the strangest orange markings and glimmering eyes that reminded him of Towhee's.
101 Posts
Ooc — tweety bird
The step back was noticed but not acknowledged, as was his defensive undertone. Forrest simply smiled in response, You aren't afraid of falling? She could only hope his answer would be no; a child who was afraid to take risks would grow into an adult with the same fears. Only thing being, an adult who was afraid of the world around them posed a much bigger threat.

Can't you see from there? she inquired, Or even from here? With that, she took a step back and sat down, then stretched her body out as a model of how he could look over the edge from a much safer distance. I can.
Hayao Miyazaki
dayvan cowboy
99 Posts
Ooc — Laur
Her question was met with a puff of his chest, and Lucca pulled himself a little higher, imitating his more self-assured brother, Tegan. "No," he responded with a cheeky grin, though he did glance warily down at the river again, thinking about his sisters. They were much smaller than himself, but all the more reckless, too. He gave a quick scan of the horizon to make sure they hadn't followed him out here.

When he was positive they hadn't, the boy turned back to the woman who had now sprawled out along the ledge at a safer distance. Compared to the younger, slightly less experienced adults who had been their wardens on the journey so far, this older wolf was a breath of fresh air. Her gentle voice calmed him, and Lucca moved closer trustingly before falling into a sit, tail beginning to beat the ground rhythmically. "But I wanna see up close!" he said, his tone conveying excitement rather than defiance.
101 Posts
Ooc — tweety bird
Forrest was pleased to see the boy's trust blossom. She watched as he moved closer and sat, her heart finally being able to slow its pace once he seemed a decent distance from the edge. You must be a very brave young man to confront a cliff like that, I do believe, Forrest praised with a shake of her head, I could never. She closed her eyes then and shuddered to portray the mock fear she might have felt in a situation like that.

Then, with one eye now open and peering down at her little friend over a motherly grin, Forrest continued, But for my sake, please don't go so close. It makes me so nervous and I'm not sure my old heart could take it! She lifted a paw to her forehead in a woe is me! fashion, hoping to get a giggle from her companion.

Edit: The time for Forrest to return home was quickly nearing, so she gave her small friend a dip of the head and a short explanation before turning and heading away, her Toodle-loo! echoing behind her.
Hayao Miyazaki