Otter Creek hey moon, please forget to fall down;;
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
Private 

It was late, and the boy couldn't sleep.
He tossed and turned restlessly for a couple of hours, near to his companions but keeping enough distance that his own inability to sleep wouldn't bother them too much. It was terribly cold out, though, and he longed to curl up next to one of them. His own coat was too thin to properly shield him from the weather.
When Alarian finally had enough of shifting positions on the freezing, painfully solid ground beneath him, he stood and shook out his coat. He eyed Lennon first, then Korei, checking to see if either of them were awake before he wandered off.
Daisies, daisies perched upon her forehead
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Korei tried to sleep. She heard someone shuffling as she did, and then she couldn't hear it anymore. For a moment, she thought they had gone to sleep. But still, she lifted her head up slightly to see that someone was in fact missing. 

Getting up, she moved to find Alarian, and found a trail that she attempted to follow. There was a chill in the air, one she did not like. And for a moment, she glanced back to Lennon, not wanting to leave him alone. So she stopped not too far, and whsipered out into the cold. "Alarian...Alarian?" Then she moved forward some more, continuing along his trail.
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
As soon as he heard her voice, Alarian came rushing back to find Korei. He approached her at a brisk pace, eyes wide with worry.
Is something wrong? The boy pushed his nose into her neck fur, sniffing her in an almost paternal way to check for obvious injuries. When he found none, he pulled away and fixed his gaze on hers, his eyes containing a much clearer look than normal-- as if he was really there for the first time. An intelligence and intensity sparkled in them during that moment that he otherwise showed few signs of possessing, nestled alongside the obvious concern. You shouldn't go off on your own at night, Korei, even if you're trying to find me-- or Lennon, even. It's dangerous.
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Korei saw him approaching, and felt glad. Only to lift her head back, wide-eyed when Alarian put his nose to her neck. She knew the act was paternal, like a parent checking for injuries but she had only ever had family do so. 

"I-I was worried about you though" she said, finally willing up the will to speak. "I didn't want to lose another friend." Then again, she had left Lennon, and she glanced back, thinking they should head back soon.
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
I know, but it's okay. Gone was the clarity of the moment before, but he was smiling sweetly at her now. I'm not going anywhere-- not until you're safe, and I promise I'll tell you before I leave! The boy assured Korei, tail wagging slightly. He was fond of the girl, and a small part of him noted the twinge of sadness he felt at the thought of his eventual (in his mind, inevitable) departure.
I can't really sleep tonight. Alarian admitted a beat later. I was going to take a walk.
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Korei smiled lightly, she was warming up more and more to Alarian. She went to lean her head around on his neck in a wolfish hug. "Thank you...I don't want to lose another friend" she murmured quietly. She didn't want him to leave, but she did step back to allow him to go on his walk.
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
The touch surprised Alarian, though he was far from bothered by it. Few in his life had shown him affection without some ulterior motive, but he sensed the girl was nothing but sweet. It was slightly baffling. Nonetheless, he leaned into the touch for the brief time it was offered, a new softness in his eyes when the girl pulled away.
You could come with me, if you want. He offered cheerfully-- truthfully he rather hoped she would. The more time he spent around others who were actually kind to him, the more he found himself craving it. It had been easy to isolate himself when his only experiences with others were bad.
Now he found himself with one companion he wanted to protect from the world (Korei), and one he wanted to kiss be very good friends with (does it need saying?). It made the whole loner lifestyle significantly harder to pull off.
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Korei was about to return back to Lennon's side, until she heard Alarian speak again, with an offer. She turned, then looked back to Lennon...

"Uh...okay" she answered back. She was sure that Lennon would be fine, for now until they got back to them. She started to follow him to wherever he was to head. "Um...so where are you going?" she asked to him.
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
Ali grinned when the girl agreed to come, tail wagging enthusiastically. He began to lead her towards his original destination, making sure not to get too far ahead of her.
Just to the creek. Alarian assured her with a friendly glance. I think it's pretty at night.

When they reached the creek, he sat near the edge of the water and beckoned for Korei to sit by him. He looked out over the water in silence for a moment.
I don't think I ever asked why you left your pack. His tone was gentle as always, but curious.
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Korei stuck close by Alarian as he went ahead, listening. She glanced back again to where Lennon was, then back forward, thinking he would be fine for now. 

When asked why she left in the first place, she shook her head. "I...I can't say" she answered, her face shying away. That was something she wanted to keep to herself. "It's complicated."
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
I understand. He murmured softly-- and he did, for there were questions he would give the same answer to. I just hope you know-- if you're in danger from anyone, I'll protect you. Lennon too... I guess you have more reason to trust him. But I can prove myself too.

He wrapped his tail around his paws and leaned over to give her ear a fond lick. Then he went back to looking out at the creek.
You're my first companions since I left my family. The boy admitted after a moment.
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
She smiled to herself as she pulled closer to him, glad she could trust him. She leaned into him, and her ear flicked when he put a fond lick behind it. "Thank you..." Her ears perked when he said that, unsure of what he meant. But, she did not ask, quite comfortable as she was. Feeling as safe as ever.
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
Alarian felt a strange stirring in his chest when Korei leaned into him-- it was different from what he felt with Lennon, but somehow the same. The same affection and slight longing, but he felt his role would be different here; it already was.
He felt safe with Lennon in a protected way-- nothing could hurt him because he knew Lennon wouldn't let it. But Korei... he felt safe because he was the protector. In that moment he knew he would-- and could-- face down demons among the fires of hell if it was to protect the small girl pressed into him. Nothing, he decided, would hurt her.
But Ali knew he need not burden the girl with such thoughts, so he changed the subject.
Did I ever tell you about the war between two packs that was won by fleas? He asked, a mischievous glint in his eyes. The story really was hilarious, mostly because it was true.
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Korei Julia smiled gently, and she listened after shaking her head. "No...I haven't" she answered. She was not really one for stories, but she felt that she may as well listen. "How do fleas win a war?" They were so small, and almost insignifcant. Perhaps the only thing she knew was insignificant.
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
Alarian grinned when Korei asked how fleas could win a war. Good question.

He paused only briefly, gathering his thoughts on where to begin. Then he launched into the tale-- it was typical in many ways at first, but full of intrigue and excitement. In fact it almost seemed a normal story of war for the first half. Until things got strange, and hilarious.

...and once they realized what happened, everyone went quiet. Then they just went home! Both sides. No words. Ali finished with a humorous sparkle in his eyes. So no one actually got hurt, unless you count a bad case of fleas as 'hurt'.
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Korei listened carefully as he spoke. And her ears perked up slowly over time as he went on, as she slowly became more and more intrigued. As he finished, she learnt something; don't belittle fleas. "So in the end, the fleas saved everyone from death?" That's how she saw it as. She looked away from Alarian, and laid down to rest her head on her paws. In thinking of death, she thought of Galaxy. Why couldn't it have been fleas with her, and not something else?
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
Korei's question caused the boy to tilt his head; he had never looked at it that way before. Slowly, a smile grew on his face. He was somewhat proud of her for the observation.
You know, I never thought of it that way. You're right. He nudged her affectionately with his nose. Maybe it's a good life lesson for us. Even the smallest of us can make a big difference.
The boy thought it especially fitting since they were both rather diminutive wolves, though he had to (unsuccessfully) attempt to stifle a giggle at that.
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Korei Julia smiled at that, she could see what he meant. She went to lean against him softly, sighing happily. The story had made her happy. Glancing up, she saw the stars. "Do you have a favorite star?" she asked quietly, her eyes remaining to the lit up night sky. The question may have come out of nowhere, but she always spoke of the stars if the opportinity arised.
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
He paused a moment, a bit embarrassed at the answer he would have to give. Though he admired all aspects of nature greatly, he had never met anyone with any knowledge of the stars before.

I think the stars are pretty, but... I don't really know any of their names, or the difference between them. The boy admitted, twitching his ear slightly. But I wish I did...
He was silent again for another beat before he followed up. Do you have a favorite star?
798 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Korei Julia heard this. Immediately, she began pointing them out with her paw. She pointed to one in the sky. "That one...I don't know it's name, but it looks like a wolf, doesn't it?" she asked to Alarian, as she pointed to Canis Major. "If you imagine it really well, you can see, can't you?" To his second question, she shrugged. "I have no favorite...They are all the best to me."