Blacktail Deer Plateau spring brings life into the darkness
101 Posts
Ooc — tweety bird
Forrest nodded her head and got to thinking about which story she would tell. She'd once treated a harem of women under the guard of their mate, though that tale seemed a bit too mature for a youngster, even being the soldier that he was. There was the story of the woman who had raised her daughter's children as a favor, to offer her a second chance. It was heartwarming but didn't feature enough adventure. Forrest gave a defeated sigh and looked to Dauntless, Forgive me, my memory isn't as good as it used to be, sadly.

Then, as if it had been placed there by the divine hand of an angel, the perfect story came to mind. Alright, she whispered, then motioned for him to come closer. Back when I was just learning my craft, I was working below my aunt as an apprentice. I started out just going to meetings with expectant mothers, though I had never assisted with a birth myself. It wasn't until about a year into my training that I actually had the chance and believe me, it was quite the experience. Forrest chuckled and shook her head.

Their pack wasn't far from where we had settled. It was the end of breeding season and the prime of, as we called it, rug-rat season. Oh, women from every walk of life were settling into their dens to give birth with anxious fathers waiting just outside. It's funny now that I think about it — those poor men were probably scared out of their wits! Where was I? Ah, yes, that's right.

In the aforementioned pack, there was a substantial number of expectant mothers. One, in particular, had taken quite a liking to me. She called me Sunset and I called her Rise. She was an older woman, about the age I am now, and this was supposed to be her last litter. Because of the circumstances, I made sure that everything was perfect for her, this was where the story got a bit uncomfortable, and Forrest hoped that Dauntless didn't mind, She was a little overdue, the poor thing, so we kept her on bedrest for the weeks leading up to the birth.

It didn't take long, but it seemed like forever. All four of her newborns were healthy and alive, but Rise wasn't. It had been difficult on her body and she fell ill. I remember sitting beside her for days trying to get her to eat something, anything!; but her body was failing her. Rise passed not long after that...

Forrest sighed and shook her head, trying to hold back the choke in her throat. ...and I was sure that the pups would follow. I was devastated, absolutely devastated, but something wonderful happened. She smiled then and looked up at Dauntless from where her eyes had been trained on her paws, The men brought Rise's body to the river and put her to rest there. I had been holding the pups around my own belly in an effort to keep them warm, but as soon as Rise was out of sight, the other women of her pack who had also just given birth came and took them away from me, one by one.

Two of the pups went to her youngest sisters while the other two found homes with her daughters. I had never seen anyone but a birth mother taking care of her children, but this...it changed me, seeing such love and compassion. I would never have imagined that someone, out of the kindness of their heart, would give a child a second chance. I went back to visit them every once and a while. I watched them grow up and find themselves. For a while, I even kept one of the girls as my apprentice, but she wasn't too sure that the job was for her after seeing some things. Forrest laughed and wondered if her joke had gone over the boy's head. Well, that's my story. I wish I could better remember the details...
"Life is a winking light in the darkness."
Hayao Miyazaki
Messages In This Thread
spring brings life into the darkness - by Forrest - January 15, 2018, 02:02 PM
RE: spring brings life into the darkness - by Dauntless - January 16, 2018, 04:23 AM
RE: spring brings life into the darkness - by Forrest - January 16, 2018, 06:26 AM
RE: spring brings life into the darkness - by Dauntless - January 17, 2018, 05:05 AM
RE: spring brings life into the darkness - by Forrest - January 18, 2018, 10:47 PM
RE: spring brings life into the darkness - by Dauntless - January 19, 2018, 04:26 AM
RE: spring brings life into the darkness - by Forrest - January 19, 2018, 11:14 AM
RE: spring brings life into the darkness - by Dauntless - January 21, 2018, 05:38 AM
RE: spring brings life into the darkness - by Forrest - January 22, 2018, 10:27 AM
RE: spring brings life into the darkness - by Dauntless - January 30, 2018, 05:18 AM
RE: spring brings life into the darkness - by Forrest - January 30, 2018, 05:06 PM
RE: spring brings life into the darkness - by Dauntless - February 11, 2018, 04:57 AM
RE: spring brings life into the darkness - by Forrest - February 13, 2018, 09:22 PM
RE: spring brings life into the darkness - by Dauntless - March 09, 2018, 03:49 AM