Stone Circle Did you know that you do all those things?
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Private 

Valette had noticed that Nanook was really starting to pick up on border patrols and other mercenary trades. Not only that but her sister also seemed to be there quicker when new recruits would come to their borders. Valette liked the help and being a mother of three and the alpha was never easy. She needed a beta. Before that was Ezekiel but she was certain that he left Easthollow. She was starting to grow more of a dislike towards the male. Luckily she had good wolves around her like her good friend Banner and her children.

Valette howled to her sister. She wanted to tell her how happy she was with Nanook helping out with the pack. Valette was sitting by Stone Circle. It was usually the place she would sit. Often she would be leaning against the tallest stone. Steady's Stone. She wanted to find a better name for it, rather than Steady's stone. The tall one, the Steady one? It all sounded weird. Valette waited there, right by Steady's grave to talk to her sister.
you are loved, you are loved more than you know
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Nanook turned from her patrol at the sound of her sister’s call. The note seemed to carry no press for urgency, but the mercenary heeded with no less fervour. She trusted Desna would only call for things of importance, and if she found her sister merely wanted company after spending days a plenty curled next to Steph, Nanook counted that no small matter, either. Such was the niche she had found at Easthollow - as a guardian of her family, and as a quiet presence near her sister’s side. The gravity of that reality felt less like a dream every morning that dawned.

The silver guardian found Valette where she often found her, looking calm and at ease pressed against the stone memorial of her late mate. She flicked a curious glance around the Circle. The stones stood in quiet watch, but as far as she could tell, they were alone. The call was meant for her, and Nanook stepped forward with clear inquisition on her face.
with every heartbeat I have left
I will defend your every breath, I promise
I'll do better
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette quirked up her lips when Nanook entered the Stone Circle. Their guardians watching over the two of them. Although, technically it was only one. Steady. Perhaps in the future, there would be more. If you didn't count the wolves buried here the stones themselves could be seen as guardians. They had protected Steph when she was wounded and the Bison didn't appear to be closer. Valette trotted towards her sister and licked her maw. A sign of mutual respect. She was very fond of her sister.

"Nanook," she greeted. Valette smiled at her. "The reason I called you was that I realized that you were doing more and more tasks of what a Beta would do," she pointed out to the girl. She drawled a bit a the end hinting where she was going. "You recruited a wolf, you are always at the borders and there when I need your help," she spoke firmly and full of pride. Valette's tail was wagging a bit. "Did you realize you are helping me so greatly?," she questioned with a smile.
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Nanook returned her sister's kiss with a lick to her chin, but didn't linger. She backed away with the look of a question still on her face. There were many things she wished herself to ask that surfaced in the moment, mainly concerning her sister's wellfare, but she kept silent and reserved her words for later. There would be time. For now, she listened.

The matter was not what Nanook had expected, and her initial conclusion was that she'd done something wrong. Had she overstepped her rank? The worry subsided as quickly as it came. Nothing of Desna spoke of anger. Quite the opposite, for she noticed her voice held something of approval. The warrior ducked her head, the bashfulness beneath her steely exterior rubbing through. "No." She had simply done what needed to be done. She assumed everyone had, and still held by that. The intentions for her sister's praise were still a fog, and though she saw the lead she had been given, the title was tossed but as a comparison. Nanook still wondered if she had toed the line that divided the Alpha and the pack too closely, and she asked her sister despite herself, "Should I continue in this?"
I'll do better
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Nanook seemed bashful when Valette spoke with pride about her. Val would probably feel the same if someone was really nice to her or complimenting her. Heck, she had been the same when Steady pointed out that she was a good and loyal member and that he wanted her to be Beta. Valette smiled at her sister. "Oh yes, I'd like you to continue, you are very good at it," she complimented.

"I was just wondering if you like doing these tasks. Then why not become the Beta of Easthollow," Valette offered with a smile. She was not sure how much of a shock factor she would give Nanook but she could imagine that her sister might be a bit shocked. "You can think about it if you want the position. I think you would be really suitable for it," Valette smiled.
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Nanook eased at her sister’s encouragement; quite frankly, she would have had a hard time stopping all she was doing even if her sister had ordered her to lessen up. The Apaata lived and breathed her work, for in it she found a way to give back to Desna a fraction of what she gave for them. A readied smile passed her lips, a gesture she now found easy with her sister.

Her smile did not fade, but confusion wrapped her face as Desna continued - a lopsided cant of her ears and the twitch of her brow. She lifted a paw to scratch an itch behind her ear - surely she hadn’t heard right. “Beta?” The word stumbled out before she could reign in her tongue. “Me?” Maybe the bison had kicked her head in as well - but Nanook knew better. Beta. Of course she had wondered when Desna would seek another to lead by her - but her? She was no leader, and she could think of many others in the pack who were, or could be. Stark or Banner, Illecebra or Mawk, Murdock, even. But she was simply Nanook. Sister, aunt, warrior, runner.

“Why?” She felt the gravity of the position her sister offered, and couldn’t reconcile herself as one deserving of the honour. She trusted Desna’s leadership, of course, and the wisdom she’d continually proved, and as baffled and uncertain as the suggestion made her, Nanook trusted her in this as well - but that didn’t quiet her questions. She dipped her head, gathered since the initial shock. “I mean - why me?” For it was clear that Desna noticed something in her she couldn’t.
I'll do better
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette nodded to confirm to her sister that she meant that she wanted Nanook as a Beta! The female smiled at her sister. Though it fell a bit when Nanook asked why her. Valette wished she would have more confidence in herself. "Well, because you have been doing all these Beta tasks really well. You went above and beyond with that new recruit Kiran. And your scent is always on the borders. I could use your help, and most of all, I trust the pack to you if I would be away for a day. Not that I am planning to go away but if I have to head out I can."

Valette stated this all with pride. Nanook was really more of a warrior/guardian. Valette didn't like to do the patrols and still felt weird accepting or denying other wolves. Usually, that was what Steady did. She provided and was the main gamekeeper. "Plus I wouldn't feel too guilty to hang out with my children a bit more," she admitted. "I really think you would do well, and that the others would accept your leadership," she added with a nod. "But if you don't want the rank or think it is too much pressure I understand. I just felt that you should be rewarded for all the work you do. It hasn't gone unnoticed."
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
All the things her sister listed - they were things she counted as nothing special to her, duties meant to be worked by every member of the pack. Common sense things, and roles she had taken upon herself to balance the skills she saw more strongly in Desna.

But trust wasn't given to all - and even more, the kind her sister extended to her now. Nanook let Desna's words settle - the lot of them, without saying a word this way or that until the weight of their meaning flooded through the thick of her logic and heart.

Beta. The title meant very little to her, for ranks had never meant much to her at all. If she were Alpha or Omega, she wouldn't stop being Nanook. And if being who she was would lift her to a place at her sister's side, what difference would being Gamma or Beta make? She had worked to earn her sister's trust and a place in Easthollow, and perhaps she had finally made up for the years she had roamed as nothing but a dead weight and a drain on the world.

The faintest smile touched her lips and she brought her face forward to lick at the underside of Desna's chin. She spoke no words, confident that Desna would understand. She would stand by her sister's side, now, and always.
I'll do better