Moonspear You can see your life out the window tonight
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
All Welcome 
It had been two weeks now that Wraen had intercepted Korei Julia on the borders and seen her leave the Moonspear. After a while she had broken one part of her promise and set out to track her friend's trail and had followed it a while, until it was erased by a heavy snow-fall the next day. Though the young Ostrega had assured that she would be alright, Wraen still worried. Would she have enough food? Would she meet nice wolves along the way? Would she not get desperately lost?

With every passing day it became harder and harder to keep the other part of the promise - not to tell anyone from her family that she had decided to leave. And though she had not approached anyone directly, she could sense Amekaze's and Charon's unrest about their missing child. Underappreciated during her life her she may have been, but they still worried about her. She felt sorry for them and at times wished that Korei Julia had dealt with everything the right way - told them about her intentions, bid her good-byes and not left her friend burdened with the unpleasant truth. The burden, which didn't grow any lighter over time. 

Therefore, in order to keep her mind focused at other - more practical things - she was examining an old badger burrow she had found this morning, while on a stroll through the woods.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra was also a wolf that fret for Korei Julia.

The last thing Moonspear needed was to find another pale Ostrega corpse turn up, and it didn't seem likely that this wouldn't be the case for KJ. She had a penchant for getting herself in the strangest of situations. Korei Julia simply was not intelligent, and also terribly naive. Anyone that did not recognize those truths about her would think she might be fine out there in the world on her own—but Hydra knew her vapid sister quite well.

It had been days since her scent had been upon Moonspear. Hydra ranged away to find her, and was returning now with a sour expression upon her countenance. She returned with nothing at all—no proof of life, but fortunately no proof of death, either. With Vela having recently been attacked close to Moonspear, Hydra's own worry had grown tenfold. It felt like it would only be a matter of time before some part of Korei Julia would show up—and not in a good way.

Rannoch seemed like the best wolf to ask. Rannoch had comforted Korei, maybe he would know? Who else? Hydra could not see Korei Julia making the choice to leave... maybe step out for fresh air, but leave? For good...? Hydra knew that Korei Julia had her doubts about her family, thought she had been lied to—but even all of that did not add up to Korei deciding to abandon their family now.

But as Hydra sniffed at the earth to detect the scent of Rannoch, she glanced to the horizon and remembered—

Korei Julia was not the brightest of wolves.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
It seemed to Wraen that the burrow's former inhabitant had long since gone - either having been hunted and eaten, or stinked out by a fox. They used to do such things, but the girl found no proof that the canid had lived here. Good thing she was of small stature, because on further inspection, it looked like the place was spacious enough for someone like her. And moments later she had slid underground. 

I could actually live here. She thought cheerfully, crawling around and sniffing at the sandy floor, walls and the ceiling. It was definitely nicer and more comfortable than her current residence in the stone den. Had it not been for the sound of someone walking nearby, Wraen would not have left the place and tested it's suitability for naps. For a moment she considered ignoring, whoever it was, but the curiousity won over. 

She crawled out and from afar it may have looked like she appeared from thin air. "Hey, Hydra!" Wraen called out to the familiar form of the dark she-wolf, though she was not 100% sure that it wasn't any other of the sisters.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
One ear twitched as she heard movement, rotating in the very direction Wraen shimmied and escaped from her badger burrow. The sound itself was not alarming, as Hydra knew by now the sound of fox or 'yote in the snow, as well as other creatures of the predatory variety. Her attention was not on what rest outside of the borders for long; the contemplative Hydra soon swung her head toward the direction of the slight commotion, and when she noted who made the ruckus her face broke into a smile, and she softened. 

Her transformations were, truly, astounding. She was soft in appearance; it was her personality that was sharp and hard. Her features might be considered cherubic; she was not, in any sense of the word, angular. She was not sylphlike or svelte; her physique was made for the fight as much as it was made for flight. It was suited for both, with her average build. What those closest to her understood was that she was as much a warm-hearted, loving woman as she was a weapon. 

Wraen, though, always seemed perpetually sweet and soft. But there was a wildness to her. Hydra related to that wildness; she knew that she and Wraen were similar in many ways, though also different. Hydra liked her; Alya and Lyra liked her, too. Hydra noted now how pretty Wraen was, her eyes a violently bright green, to Hydra—greener than any grass she had ever seen. Terance's green eyes were much darker. She was small, too, but oddly enough Hydra saw the girl as taller than she truly was—it was her personality. A personality Hydra had always remembered liking, at this point in time. 

The yearling, when greeted, chuffed to her friend in return, her plume swaying eagerly in a sweeping, happy wave. Wraen! she rejoined, pleased to see her. Hydra trotted in her direction, now smelling what Wraen must have. Noting the snow on her shoulders, Hydra recalled hearing her getting out of the hidey-hole. Find anything good in there?
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
It was hard to tell the Cerberus apart from appearance alone, but Wraen had spent enough time in Hydra's company to know, what she was like around her. They were closer to each other and therefore the way they communicated was more intimate than if it had been any of the other two sisters. And, when up close - Wraen was sure that this was her friend and not anyone else.

"Yup," she affirmed. "Found a perfect hiding and resting place - I would invite you to see it for yourself, but it is kind of a small one-room apartment, if you know, what I mean." In other words she was taking claim of the new found den and Hydra was the first person to know that. "What about you - some top-secret and super important alpha business or something that you can share with the subordinate?"
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Ooh, nice, Hydra complimented with a grin. Dens and hideyholes weren't for her; Hydra slept out in the open, curled up with her sisters. It was when the girls slept that they looked most like the beast their friends often referred to them as. The elements did not bother the three at all; it was not unusual for them to need to unbury themselves in the morning when the snow had accumulated. Looking to the mouth of the den, Hydra surmised she would not be able to fit into it herself. She was not a large wolf, but she certainly wasn't small. It looks cozy from out here, Hydra thought to say. It was probably nice and warm inside... for Wraen, it seemed like a good find. 

She grinned again at Wraen's words. Nah, no business brought me here today. But I'm not really here for fun, either, she admitted, looking over her shoulder back to the direction she had came from. With a sigh, Hydra looked back to Wraen. Korei Julia's scent has gone stale. I really don't want to believe that she would just up and leave in the middle of winter, She licked her chops. Right when Galaxy passed, she'd venture out of Moonspear some. But never for this long. And I worry that if she got lost, like you had, due to storms... She didn't want to say it. She found that she couldn't. Death was easy to speak of when it was you doing the killing—but her family! Korei Julia was, as empirical evidence displayed to them all, not a girl made for the harsh wilds.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
It was a good thing that, when Hydra expressed her worries over Korei Julia's disappearance, Wraen was busy examining top of her den's door, where there were some roots, suspiciously loose earth and rocks standing. And though she froze, the flash of knowledge and guilt in her eyes remained hidden. She listened to the rest of the speech patiently and, when she felt ready, she turned to face her beta with a calm and composed expression.

"I don't think she got lost," she said, carefully choosing the right words. "Two or three weeks back we hunted together and she told me about, how unhappy she felt in Moonspear. Especially after, what happened with Galaxy and the Redhawk wolves involved." So far true, but she had to pause briefly to decide, whether she should reveal that she was the last person Korei saw before taking off or not. 

It was a tough one, because part of her wanted to trust Hydra as a friend, but the cautious side reminded that with the wrong words this could easily change. She had learned by now that Ostrega wolves had their way of understanding loyalty and how to deem other people as traitors. "She asked me about me leaving my birth pack. Wanted to know all the "why"s and "how"s," Wraen went on - keeping some facts back was easier than she had thought. Maybe because she was not lying after all. 

"I got the impression that she had thought about this for a very long time and maybe Galaxy was the catalyst for her to finally do something about it," she finished and hoped that her young friend had met nice people along the way and was doing well.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The words Wraen said caused her ears to prick. Either Wraen didn't know Korei Julia and the depth of her stupidity, which was entirely possible, or she knew something. Wraen freezing was enough to cause the keen-eyed Hydra to be suspicious, but Wraen had earned the benefit of her doubts. If Wraen wanted to consider loyalty, she ought to consider Hydra's growing affinity for the silver-furred wolf herself. To hear Wraen continue really caused nothing but relief for Hydra, though she could not help but turn her head and bear her teeth toward the cutting wind. Leave it to Korei Julia to make that decision in the dead of Winter, she said with a huff, when there is a war afoot. Hydra shook her head.

But if Korei Julia abhored her family and their decisions so much, that was entirely on her. And so was her death. The shackles of her loyalty to Korei Julia where thus lifted—Korei Julia might be her sister, but that was unfortunately not her choice. With a sigh, Hydra glanced back to Wraen. To tie a neat little bow over the situation, Hydra—for her own peace of mind, as well—felt it important to ask: you think she'll be okay out there? Limited food, wolves that attacked children, predators...

Hydra shook her head of the thoughts. You know what, let's try not to worry about that. Korei Julia made an adult decision. She's my sister, she glanced to the horizon, that gives her a fighting chance. She grinned. Their bloodline made for stubborn fighters, that was for sure. Anyway, Hydra was frankly a little bit relieved. Korei Julia would maybe learn some things out there used to go in one ear and out the other with her.

Or, maybe she would die. Whichever. Whatever. It wasn't her problem. Not anymore.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"I don't know," Wraen was unsure, because the first and last time she had hunted together with Korei Julia, she had got an impression that the girl's self-esteem was way below zero. So afraid of failure and causing disappointment that she did not even want to try. Though - maybe - once she was away from her family, out on her own she would be forced to act and realize that she was just as capable as everyone else. And that - stargazing - unfortunately, though an exciting and interesting trade neither did bring food to the table, nor did keep you safe. 

"If she did leave for good, though," Wraen picked up the thread for the last few words, "I wish she had bid farewells to you all. Otherwise - in the light of Galaxy's untimely demise, people could come to the wrong conclusions." And she did not want to be pulled into another conflict that was based on false claims.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra glanced to Wraen and tilted her head at the words. It was a thread Hydra did not catch. Like what? She queried, curious as to how Wraen meant that. Hydra really thought the only conclusion that could be drawn was the absolute confirmation of the fact that Korei Julia was a moron. Hydra knew that already, but now everyone else surely would too.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
If situation had been different, Wraen would have agreed with Hydra wholeheartedly. Leaving in the middle of winter - no matter, how hard the emotional load was - was not a thing a practical person would do. The chances of starving yourself to death or becoming someone else's meal were too high. Wait for spring or summer, be sure that you can provide for yourself and then go, wherever you want. Even then food was not easy to find. 

"Like considering that her disappearance is somehow tied with the Redhawk caldera or the Blackfeather woods wolves?" she said the one thing that was very obvious. "The latter - I have heard - have created a lot of mess in the past and the first - is your father really at peace with caldera? Even after the guilty party was punished and banished?"
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Wraen's questions caused Hydra to look thoughtful, for a brief moment, as she thought on all of that. And then Hydra said: Even if he was not, he would not start a war with them. And in knowing that Korei Julia left of her own volition would certainly help that cause. Blackfeather, I'm not so certain of, especially considering one of their wolves had attempted to do harm unto Vela. That needed to be taken care of, right quick. 

As far as her saying goodbye went: My parents love Korei Julia. She should have said her goodbye to them so they did not think she was dead at all so soon after losing Galaxy. Her tail lashed. Korei Julia could cry all she wanted over the criticisms she had received in her life. They were constructive, as far as Hydra was concerned. All Hydra wanted KJ to be was a functional pack member, but she seemed hellbent on messing things up for herself. It was tough to watch, and for Hydra, who did care for her, she hated to see it. Most people could not keep their eyes off of a trainwreck. Hydra? She could hardly bare to look. But look she did—and she had even attempted to help her. Korei Julia just couldn't learn. 

I hope she finds true peace out there. A band of wolves perfect for her, who will keep her safe and love her as she wants to be loved. And that was the truth. But Hydra knew that was fantasy, and she lived in reality. Finding that in the dead of winter? Right.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Well, maybe that's what works best with her then," Wraen concluded and hoped that Hydra would inform her parents about Korei Julia's absence and the reasons behind it. She did not have the courage to approach either of the older wolves, because it was one thing not telling the whole truth to a friend your age, entirely different - lying to an experienced wolf. 

"Are you still going for the hunter's trade?" she changed the subject now that all the serious matters had been talked about and put behind. "'cause I am in mood of... as one of your sisters put it nicely - to kill something. What do you say?"
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra herself was not really a liar. So she could not tell the telltale signs of it from anyone but those who made obvious displays of it. Even if something was a little off, Hydra could not fathom the thought of her own friends lying to her—not when she was so honest with them. She was point blank with her intent and her decisions, and bullheaded and stubborn in sticking to them. When it came to tests and the like, so long as the truth was intended to be revealed, she didn't consider that a lie—Hydra was a piece of work, to be sure, to consider those that did lie to be the worst. 

Naturally, she did not think that of Wraen, who did not and had not (to her knowledge) lied. She was grateful her friend knew this information. It was a bit weird that, given everything going on, she didn't think to tell anyone... but Hydra swiftly justified it with the thought that she imagined Korei Julia would tell someone. Not knowing what was on her friends mind, she would unintentionally put a piece of it to rest: I'll tell my parents. They may want to talk to you, since you're the last person that spoke with her it sounds like. Sorry she didn't tell anyone and all of that's on you, her tail twitched and her ears flattened apologetically. But they won't be upset with you. Of course you would think KJ would tell us, she comforted, unwittingly providing Wraen with her "get out of jail free" card. 

Hydra perked up at Wraen's suggestion. I sure am, girl, she said with a grin, Tracker, and hunter. What're you in the mood for? She asked, and sniffed at the air.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
It would be nice, if we could continue this thread - it could count towards Wraen's Hunter trade.

"Hope so," Wraen replied and shook her coat, relieved that the storm was over and that it had not been nearly as half as bad as she had expected it to be. Though somewhere in the pit of her stomach she felt some guilt over the fact of saying nothing to the family members. At the moment of her friend's leaving it had seemed as the right thing to do - what if they tried to dissuade her and stop her (they probably would). But now - seeing things from Hydra's rational perspective and hearing from a person, who had known KJ all her life, she wondered, whether she too had not been too sympathetic with the Ostrega girl. 

"One does not exclude the other - let's do both," she said. "I spotted some grouse in the woods the other day - we could go and check out, if those chicks are still there."
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
down!

Hydra moved to bump Wraen's side companionably as she moved beside her. Let's do it, she hummed. The cursory sniff moments ago had not revealed grouse, but then, they weren't very close to the woods and the wind was not in their favor from this direction. Hydra turned to head in that direction, content to lead the way. She actually did remember smelling grouse herself, but only in passing. Still, her photographic memory did her plenty of favors.

The Beta moved at a leisurely pace, nosing the earth as she went here and there. She captured other scents and logged them, though was given pause as she noted deer scat and tufts of fur. Her tail waved as she looked over her companion. They were deep enough in the territory for Hydra to assume they had even bedded within Moonspear. Maybe we can have a pack hunt soon, she thought aloud, glancing to Wraen with a grin. Knowing Wraen was after the trade too, she was sure she would be eager to hear such a thing too.

But Hydra worked the scents out herself, and was able to depict grouse—Hydra continued toward that scent, which grew stronger the nearer they became.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"That would be great - I haven't had a decent chunk of deer in so long," Wraen replied, taking notice of the to-be-dinner-one-day signs as well. During her scouting expeditions she had seen a herd of deer right by the borders of Morningside and had regretted that Moonspear was located too far to seize the opportunity. Their numbers kept growing - they were almost twenty heads here now - and, though it was great to have influx of fresh blood and new faces, it also put pressure on the existing resources. And in winter, when they weren't as rich and plentiful as in summer, this was a thing to worry about.

But at this moment all her focus was on the task at hand - and where Hydra caught scent of their target, Wraen had also found a snow hole with wing tracks. She examined it, sniffing at the edges, and then with one quick glance side-ways to her companion, she moved onwards.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Noting the same thing that Wraen had, Hydra forged ahead with Wraen. Her movements were more stealthy, now, her footsteps light against the snowy earth. She could hear the distinct noises that foretold that they were near to their quarry, and Hydra shifted into a predatory crouch, tail flicking behind her and ear shifting toward Wraen. Since it was Wraen who wanted to kill something today, Hydra was patient enough to wait for her cue.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
After a little while they came into a clearing, where approximately 50 or so hen-sized birds were gathered, the coloring of their feathers was an interesting mix of greyish-brown and white. An almost ideal camouflage against the white backdrop. They were bigger than the young hunter remembered seeing them previously, therefore she stopped in her tracks, thinking about her next move. She gave a glance over to Hydra to see, if she had any suggestions, what would be the right way to proceed. Because other than singling one out and herding it away from the rest - she was clueless.

Working as a team they figured out, how to deal with the situation and had a good merry hunt. 

Wrapping up older threads.