Stone Circle Inchoate
"The mountains do not break to the wind nor does the sky change for a single individual."
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
Joining 
Silence was the first thing that met Greyback's ears as he stood alone on the snow-covered hill top; his peach-orange eyes scanning the land stretched out before him as the bitter wind and snow nipped at the short fur on his face and legs. He heard of the tales of these lands for many months. Tales about a place tucked far away in Teekon Wilds where wolves were tight—knit and friendly. Maybe it was the fact that he was getting older, or maybe it was because he still mourned the loss of his mate and pups years back. But spurred by the pulling of some strange feeling deep within his gut- he was finally here.

Blinking and shaking his fur to rid himself of the accumulating snow that clung to it, Greyback trudged forward, his thick legs parting snow and heavy paws packing it down with every step he took. Up ahead he could smell the border, its scent thick and heavy. A reminder that it had been recently marked by few. Pressing his mouth into a firm line he looked down with raised brows. Perhaps a less wise wolf would've crossed the border. Greyback would be lying if he said the thought of crossing hadn't passed his mind. It wasn't that he wanted to die, it was that he feared it. Because to be frank, dying sucked. Especially when it was at the jaws of another wolf whose territory you happened to walk upon. 

Smiling and drawing his head back, sucking in a deep breath, and firmly planting himself- Greyback let out a deep calling howl which echoed throughout the territory; his chest puffed and heart beating fast.

you are loved, you are loved more than you know
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
The call from the borders was hard to miss, and more impossible to ignore, and Nanook turned to heed the voice. The unexpected conversation she had shared with her sister a day or two before still rattled in her mind, along with her title - paws she felt she sloshed about in like the frail and whispy wolf she had been in the spring. But she wasn’t. She could feel the strength in her legs, and the peaceful clarity of her mind. The storm that had always brewed within her still hid there, somewhere, but the months had changed her - pack life, the pups, her sister’s forgiveness. As unworthy as she felt, Desna continued to show her this: that she was valued. That she was needed. That she was wanted.

Nanook drew herself tall even before the stranger gained clarity. He loomed like a pillar from the stone circle itself, strong and hewn in a storm. An impressive scar broke his already crooked nose, which led to intelligent eyes circled with age. Nanook felt dwarfed before him, but refused to show the insecurity. She held herself a with posture befitting her place here, and implored him to speak with nothing but the quiet questioning in her eyes.
with every heartbeat I have left
I will defend your every breath, I promise
I'll do better
"The mountains do not break to the wind nor does the sky change for a single individual."
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
Standing still against the harsh winds and the falling snow, Greyback peered into the territory; his ears alert and tail limp behind him as he drew in shallow breaths, each one exhaling in a puffy white strand against the cold. It wasn't until his legs, sore from standing, forced him to slowly lower his back half into a sitting position, the snow crushing under his mass. Shifting his weight, he raised his head slightly in attempt to smell anywolf approaching. A sharp and heavy scent caught the attention of his nose, causing the skin under his thick coat to prickle.

Fierce copper eyes stared back at him as they slowly came into focus, their body tall and posture similar to one with high rank. Standing up to his full height he respectfully bowed his head; nose nearly touching the snow before he brought it back up. Even though they were nearly up to his shoulder, Greyback knew when respect needed to be paid.

"Greetings," He called, whilst staring down at them with a humble smile. His voice gruff and steady. It wasn't until he tore his gaze away to look around that he spoke again. "Cold out here, isnt it?" he chuckled lightly, before turning back to keep his eyes trained on them. Unknowing of the female's personality and attitude towards newcomers joking about cold while in the cold. He hoped it would allow her to somewhat open up to him.

"I come from far away." Very far away, he inwardly thought. "Is this the border of Easthollow?" A pause. "If so. I wish to join your ranks." There was more he could have said. More he could of explained-but not wanting to babble, he decided to keep it short and simple.

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette heard the howl as well but was slower to respond to it. Not because she didn't want to respond but because she had been deeper in their territory looking after Steph. The female noticed how deep the tones sounded. It seemed that it was a male that called for them. But perhaps she would be surprised when coming upon the border.

—And surprised she was. As the came closer to the border and the wolf that called, her eyes fell upon his large shape and the one of her sister standing before her. Valette raised her tail and trotted closer with her head raised. It seemed, even though the male was clearly larger than Nanook and her, he showed a submissive nature.

Valette lifted her chin a bit, just in case. She liked it know that she was in charge her. She was getting better at being more authoritative. Luckily, she had Nanook with her. Her sister was always more skeptical and untrusting of strangers while Valette wanted to give everyone a chance. She caught his last bit of what he was saying "...border of Easthollow. Wish to join.." Valette was curious how he knew about them.

Valette gave her sister a quick greeting and then focussed on the male. "I'm Valette, and yes, this is the territory of Easthollow Pack. How did you know about us?," she asked curiously. She let her sister do her own introduction if she felt like doing one and ask her own questions. She had told her sister before that she made a good Beta and she still stood with that point of view. Valette's hazel green eyes studied the male. He seemed older, but still strong enough to help out with pack duties.
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Her brow pinched at the first words from his mouth, a statement that seemed as redundant as the trees in the Pando Clone Forest. His point was lost on her. Of course it was cold. It was winter.

But his intention sparked curiosity. Recruits were frequent these days - perhaps due to the severity of the season - but his supposed knowledge of Easthollow was different. She had never met a stranger who hadn’t stumbled upon them by accident, yet this man had come with foreknowledge.

She narrowed her eyes. The question of how touched the tip of the Apaata’s tongue, but the familiar presence of Desna stole her attention away. Nanook lost her words to the distraction, and the surprise made her stagger, bit she  returned a lick to her sister’s chin before turning back to the dark and mysterious man.

“I would like to know as well,” she said, finding her voice again, “and what you know of us.” Her copper eyes raked him again, analyzing and assessing. He appeared a strong and respectable fellow - but she didn’t give the benefit of a doubt so blindly.
I'll do better
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
Shifting, Greyback turned his attention back to the territory as a smell of another wolf wafted over his nose, their scent strange but similar to the female before him. Letting his gaze sweep over her he noticed they too, seemed to be high authority. Giving a humble, generous smile he took a step back and gave a bow to them as well. Something swelled within his heart as he observed the gentle touch shared between them; they seemed close.

It was only until he looked back to the other one that he noticed her brows were drawn together. Raising his, he looked at her with a second of concern. Perhaps his joke did not impress her, or maybe it was the fact that he seemed intimidating. Rolling his shoulders as if the rid himself of the concern he went back to giving a kind smile to the both of them.

"I'm Valette, and yes, this is the territory of Easthollow Pack. How did you know about us?,"

“I would like to know as well, and what you know of us.”

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Valette," He turned back once more to the other wolf who has yet to introduce herself. "You as well. I have heard of your pack while traveling through these lands; mostly from the crows and wolves. They say you are as strong as you are tight-knit." He paused, swishing his tail behind him before looking back, his eyes scanning the land behind him. A quirk he had picked up to keep himself protected while traveling. Once deeming he was still safe he returned back to the two.  "My apologizes, I hope my appearance nor presence upsets you or your pack."

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette dipped her head as well. The male seemed very polite, charming even! Valette was quickly charmed by the male. Though, she wondered about Nanook. Valette was usually easier to accept new wolves in their ranks while Nanook could be more strict. Valette listened to what the male had to say. She slowly nodded. It was nice to know that there was a good word out there about their pack. They were like he described. Valette realized that they had been here for awhile since moving from Silvertip Mountain. They had already seen all the seasons in this territory.

"That is nice to hear," she spoke. As a scout she wanted their pack to have a good name. The female had already warmed up to the male even though he was quite large in size. Valette gently shook her head. "It doesn't unsettle me," she returned. She wanted to say that Nanook and she could stand their ground but she rather not want to test it. Besides, this male knew about their pack and their lifestyle and he deliberately looked for it. It made Valette more comfortable that he valued the same morals as they did, she assumed at least. "So, if we would accept you in our ranks what tasks do you see yourself doing the most?," Valette questioned.
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Tight-knit and strong - isn’t that what they were? And that was how they were known. A gleam shimmered through the copper fire of the Beta’s eyes and she lifted her head a little higher. They encountered threats, but nothing they couldn’t face together. They would surely suffer trials and loss, but even those, they would overcome. This was who they were, and the man had stroked the right chord with her.

Despite a sudden desire to shovel her trust on him - for she had a very good feeling about this one - she felt a war inside. A vying to loosen her guard and, at the same time, to tighten it. The stranger hadn’t given her reason to mistrust him, but neither was she satisfied to give herself over on the basis of a few choice words.

Nanook remained quiet and allowed her sister to pose the questions, now that she was here. The mercenary focused on the stranger’s nonverbal cues - the turns of his body, the shifts of his face - and stood by, still as a gargoyle guarding its keep.
I'll do better
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
"That is nice to hear. "
"It doesn't unsettle me. So, if we would accept you in our ranks what tasks do you see yourself doing the most?"

Tonguing at the side of his gums, Greyback stayed silent for a few moments. His head flooding with various ideas of what he could offer. It had been years since he was in a pack, let alone one with more than 3 wolves. Perhaps there was elders and pups to care for. Greyback had always been fond of helping others, especially when it came to pups. However that thought was quickly snuffed out as he doubted a pack would let a newcomer, one of his size, handle their very life blood and future. Drawing his brows together once more he looked down at Valette as he thought.

"Im afraid it has been years since I've been within a pack." He responded, his voice soft and low as if it was a highly guarded secret; one that threatened.

Clearing his throat, he settled his face back to a smile and shook his head just as she did before. "I am unaware of where your needs lay. But, I will happily help out with anything that you are in need of. Whether that be feeding the mouths of your pack, teaching what I have come to know in my years, or giving my strength." No. That last bit was something that went against his morals. Quick to recover, he opened his mouth to correct himself.
"No- Pardon me, I am afraid that last bit is something cannot do."

Turning back to the other wolf beside Valette he continued to speak. "I cannot lie. I took an oath long ago that my fangs would never be used to hurt others of my same blood."

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Nanook kept quiet. It was usual for her to do this, so Valette wasn't too worried about her sister. Valette glanced at the side if she saw any dislike on her sister's face. That didn't seem to be the case. Valette was surprised to hear that the male hadn't been in a pack for a long time. Of course, the easiest question lingered on her tongue. "Why haven't you been in a pack? What made you decide to join one now?" she asked curiously. He looked healthy for someone who had been on his own for awhile. That meant he had the right survival skills.

Valette liked that he wanted to fill tasks that were needed in the pack. There were always spots in the providing branch and in the teaching department, they had a few teenagers that could learn a thing or two about being a wolf. Valette was about to respond when he corrected himself. The last bit, did that mean the teaching? She was about to ask for a clarification when the male continued. It was a good trade that the other couldn't lie. "Does that enthrall all wolves or only to the members of the pack?," she wondered. "We are a pack that rather wants to have allies rather than enemies. So, there are rarely any events, if not any at all, where we would maim another," Valette spoke.

However, the alpha female couldn't help but think of that once trespasser they maimed. Then again, this wolf didn't take any of their warnings and she had given the male many chances to run off but he hadn't so they had to forcefully remove him. Still, at times she felt bad about it. "We wouldn't ask you to do something you aren't comfortable with. Though I will protect my family even though I do not condone violence myself," she explained to him. If that meant hurting another Valette could be quite selfishly hurt another to protect her own. Valette thought of all the trades her members were having. They could always use more hunters, and especially now, they needed a healer as well.

"We could always use more wolves with a hunter trade. Especially because we have a bison herd and hunting those big animals asks for a special technique. And we could always use a healer or teacher," she spoke with a nod. Valette now turned her head to her sister and trusted second in command. They couldn't have been more different in how they expressed themselves. "What do you think?," she spoke with a hint of a smile. If it was only the opinion of the alpha Valette would accept him in their ranks.
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
Nothing of the man screamed of deceitfulness. His words and expressions appeared honest and true, and the idiosyncrasies of his face seemed to fall in line with what appeared to be a natural pattern of thought. Nanook wouldn't trust him around the pups just yet, but she was willing to extend him the chance to gain that trust. The man appeared well in years, and the wisdom he could offer from his age would no doubt prove useful to them, if he himself proved worthy as their brother first.

It was only in his correction that her approval soured, and she felt her brow harden. Her sister began to address this, but her words fell flat on the mercenary's ears. Was there a reason he directed himself toward her now, a guardian and warrior by trade? There was no way he could have known, but the fur along her neck bristled at the offence nonetheless, for she knew the sting of another's blood, and would more than willing draw it again if anyone dared threaten her family.

Despite her itching ire, she waited for her turn to speak, for she knew her sister to be a wolf of many words. Desna seemed more than willing to take him in, but Nanook couldn't look past his one glaring weakness. "So you would simply sit by and watch us die if an enemy of our kind came upon us." For she understood the severity of an oath, and his words left her with little conclusion but that. "Wolves who threaten us are not of our blood. They are not of our kind." And they would feel her fangs without mercy if they ever came.
I'll do better
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
This reply is such a mess, forgive me!! ToT

"Why haven't you been in a pack? What made you decide to join one now?"

Oh no why did it have to be that? Standing still, Greyback tensed at the question. His stomach turning and heart beginning to pound with uneasiness towards the subject. He breathed in sharp and turned back to Valette with his eyebrows drawn closely together, silently pleading. It wasnt until a few moments that he sighed, knowing that he would have to at least let them know a piece. "It is a long story, one that is filled with loss," He shifted. "I have decided to join one now because I am longing for somewhere to call home.." He hoped that would suffice. The memories of Isa and Ira were too great to bear at the moment.

"Does that enthrall all wolves or only to the members of the pack? We are a pack that rather wants to have allies rather than enemies. So, there are rarely any events, if not any at all, where we would maim another."

"So you would simply sit by and watch us die if an enemy of our kind came upon us."

Greyback stilled, his attention instantly jumping to the sharp remark of Valettes sister. He continued to be silent and listen to her, though the fur along his spine lifted slightly at her words.

"Wolves who threaten us are not of our blood. They are not of our kind."

Closing his eyes and taking a moment to collect himself, the large male looked down at the angry wolf with hard eyes. "I did not say that." He replied, his voice calm. Though he was sure it was clear he was upset by the words. "I would give my life to those in my pack. I will not, however, spill blood." He continued to stare down at her, his expression only hardening till he looked like he was bordering on disappointment. "Most things can be achieved without violence."

It was true. Greyback himself had been in many situations where that applied. He silently wondered if they had ever been in some as well. He hoped this pack wasnt quick to jump with fangs and claws.

"We wouldn't ask you to do something you aren't comfortable with. Though I will protect my family even though I do not condone violence myself."
"We could always use more wolves with a hunter trade. Especially because we have a bison herd and hunting those big animals asks for a special technique. And we could always use a healer or teacher,

Greyback silently thanked Valette for her calm composure. He saw himself within the young alpha. He was glad they were at least,
somewhat, on the same page.

Turning, he faced her again; his composure no longer tense. The edges of his mouth turned up into a smile as he listened. He looked back at the other wolf with the same smile, forgiving her for the outburst on the previous subject.

"I would love to teach and help others."

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Little did Greyback know, that Valette knew exactly what he was telling her. Why he hadn't joined a pack for so long. She had been like him when she was not even a year old. Her mother passed away, her sisters both gone. On top of that, her adopted father being kicked out from the pack she had been in at the time. She felt she had no one anymore. Such horrible loss. She could remember that loss, and her unwillingness to join a pack because she would only lose loved ones. That was until Steady found her roaming and offered her a place at Silvertip. Steady... Her wonderful Steady. She had lost him as well.

Valette needed to focus to get her thoughts back on track. To Valette his explanation was sufficient. She also didn't like to spill the blood of others unless they were hurting her children. He could still fight but it might be more defensive fighting? Valette wasn't a mercenary. She did look at her sister to see if there was something to read off her facial expression. "Well, I think we can always use a wolf that wants to help and teach others," she spoke and turned to Nanook. Valette wasn't sure how much of a dealbreaker it was for Nanook that he didn't want to draw blood. He seemed like a good guy, one they could use in their ranks. They rarely had to fight anyhow.

"I believe you fit in well with our pack," she decided then and then glanced at Nanook. "What do you think, sister?," she asked. She valued Nanook's opinion greatly. She always had such a different perspective than she did. It was always refreshing to hear what her thoughts were.
354 Posts
Ooc — Jaclyn
By the rise of his spine, she could tell her words provoked him. Good. Just as they ought to have. She waited for his answer, and he appeared to gather himself. When he finally met her, his eyes held none of the good-nature he'd closed them with, and she steeled herself against the hard look that slowly entered his gaze.

Nanook knew the eyes of disappointment; they stared down at her now. Belittling her, raking her, and the Beta set her jaw and held her head a little higher, still matching his gaze. She would not be snuffed by what this stranger believed. Perhaps there were times altercations could be solved by words, but for Nanook, those instances were few. The world was not some kind and civil haven of diplomacy and pleasant exchange. It was unpredictable as the weather, and unforgiving as the cold jaws of winter. She had learned to fight, and no one won or saved a life by passive sacrifice. Giving your life for your packmate was only worthwhile if you fought enough to survive and kill the wolf who dared seek the life of you and your own. How was there honour in letting a dangerous wolf run free, to harm how many other innocents in the process? Their blood would be on you.

Nanook would do what it took to survive, and she would do what it took to ensure everyone she loved did, too.

But her sister seemed more receptive, and Nanook watched the exchange soften when he turned to face her. Her eyes narrowed, but she said nothing. The appearance of this man was not lost on her. Tall, dark, and striking, he was everything her sister sought in a potential mate, and the woman wondered how much that swayed her judgement now.

She reserved her thoughts when Desna turned to her. Her eyes remained fixed on the man. The decision landed square in her courts, and she knew, then, that she could easily say something to force him away. Frankly, she didn't want any of his pacifism rubbing off of her nieces and nephew, and she didn't trust him anywhere near them. Yet at the same time, his usefulness remained too apparent to ignore. He could educate and teach subjects other than fighting, and he could obviously survive. He looked healthy and strong, capable of pulling his weight.

At least, until conflict came. She stared at him a moment longer, eyes narrowed and ears turned despite the good nature in his eyes. She spoke with obvious reserve, "You may enter here, but you will not teach this oath of yours to the pups, or to anyone here." The children needed to know how to fight and to be ready to spill blood if necessary to their survival, and she would not have some idealistic outsider get in the way of that.
I'll do better