Neverwinter Forest Empty thoughts start to crowd my mind
112 Posts
Ooc — Marmoo
All Welcome 
@Dakarai and anyone else who wants to join! :)
The dense canopy of braches that threw only bits of light on to the forest floor had her jumpy. Her nightmare had happened in a place like this, and the memories were fresh as they began through the thick woods. She thought this would help. Thought that facing part of her haunted past would make her stronger. They could have went around the whole thing, but she didn't want Dakarai to see her weakness or ask questions. He wouldn't, would he? 
A stray deer snapped a small twig, and she involuntarily jumped, pricking her ears forward towards the noise while her tail flicked nervously. As her eyes caught the deer, she took a deep breath and scoffed softly at herself. Was she actually this weak? Tossing a glance towards her companion, his presence calmed her, yet made doubts rise in her. Would he stay after he found out about...other things? What would happen if...he showed up? Her paws made no noise over the ground as images flashed through her mind, making her muscles tense.
Trying to relax, she focused on the beams of morning light breaking the darkness of the fading night. Soft life grew in the beams as if fighting for air in a poisoned lake. Blinking, she tried to shake the thoughts, drawing in a deep breath. She stopped in a beam of light, closing her eyes as she lifted her nose towards the warmth. A small unreadable expression crossed her face as she spoke softly. What is it about the light that always seems to draw happiness out? Is it because we yearn for brightness in our lives? The yearning for stability, for....home? Or is it just another anomaly that we don't know yet? What do you think, Dakarai?
Her eyes opened as she slowly turned towards him, a look of bittersweetness and yearning on her face. Ears turned towards him, it was as if she was truly curious, although the tone in her voice was almost like she didn't expect one. The silence of the forest had made her nervous, and this was her way of trying to break it as her eyes searched his.
I am a searcher. Always was. I still am...searching for the missing piece.
447 Posts
Ooc — Chey
He walked silently behind his companion, blue eyes reflecting in the slightest light. He placed each pawstep down upon the forest floor carefully so as not to make a sound while his ears remained pricked and focused on all around them. The thing he was most in tune to however was the beautiful female in front of him. He had indeed noticed that her posture was tense and wary so when the twig snapped and Onyx jumped he was quick to move beside her and press his flank to hers in a comforting gesture, a silent I'm here...I'll protect you.

Finally she spoke and he fell still at her words. They were philosophical and musing much like how his first conversation with Olive had been. The sudden similarity made him look away to hide the flicker of memories in his gaze, he scanned the forest to make it look like he was just watching for something. "Maybe it's because the light itself is often seen as something good and positive. Light represents all things pure and beautiful while the darkness signifies monsters, negativity, trauma...all things dark and evil." He responded after a few moments, his own deep voice kept soft but loud enough to disturb the silence of this forest. He turned to face her and his eyes once more trailed down her pale fur "perhaps that's why I was originally drawn to you. You are the light whilst I am the darkness." He murmured mostly referring to their fur coloring though his thoughts were much more romanticized. Would she be his second chance? His light in the darkness? He didn't know but he was going to stick around and find out, protect her and bring her peace no matter what transpired. That promise was still solidified in his mind and heart.
112 Posts
Ooc — Marmoo
All Welcome 
His flank suddenly against her made her gasp almost a whisper for a blink of an eye until she realized it was him. After speaking and turning towards him, her heart squeezed as he answered, noticing something was slightly off. Opening her mouth, she closed it as she turned away, her eyes now fiercely scanning the forest. It wasn't her business. 
As he paused, her ears turned towards him, her head soon following. His eyes went over her, and she swallowed slightly, still not used to him doing that. She might not ever be used to it, although her mind was too preoccupied with echoing thoughts to feel its full effect. His words put a bittersweet look in her eyes and a small smile on her face. Nuzzling him for a moment, she cringed inwardly at the memories and thoughts that she still hadn't told him. And what would he think of the nightmares? She suppressed a shudder and gave him a small lopsided grin. He knew almost nothing of her. Him the darkness? 
Her heart ached, her mind already showing her images of when he left after the knowledge was given to him. Trying to find comfort, she rubbed up against him, then opened her mouth to speak. An owl's cry went through the forest, and she looked away from him, her ears pricked forward, trying to find the source. After it faded away, she reluctantly stepped away from Dakarai and spoke, her eyes resting on his, a soft light in them, hesitating for just a moment. We all have some darkness inside. It breaks us. But that's good. That's how the light gets in. We can be each other's light. A flick of the ear, and she turned away, forcing herself to listen to the silence as she moved deeper into the forest.
447 Posts
Ooc — Chey
He could sense so much pain inside of her despite the fact that she tried so hard to hide it from him. Dakarai knew that sweet words and affectionate gestures wouldn't be enough to get her to trust him entirely, it would take time and him sticking by her side no matter what to prove he wasn't going anywhere. But he was alright with that entirely, he had nowhere else to go and nowhere else he wanted to be. Yes he did think of Olive alot and probably more than he should but he was never going to be able to not love her. Olive would always be a part of his heart but maybe not entirely in a romantic way anymore but because she was the mother of his children and someone who despite everything he ever did to her always gave him another chance. She was good to him always and she was good in general and she didn't deserve any bad things in life.

But neither did Onyx and he liked Onyx, who was also a good woman, a beautiful woman, and who he had a chance to start a better rest of his life with and protect from anything bad. So he would stay by her side no matter what, because though he didn't even know it yet he already loved her. As she nuzzled and rubbed up against him all of these musings went through his mind until the Owl screeched and startled Onyx and admittedly caused him to jump as well. His ears flicked to and fro as he was on alert now but as soon as he deemed it to be a bird he relaxed again, muscular flanks twitching slightly as his muscles unclenched. His blue eyes turned to her face as she spoke, more words of wisdom that made a slow and warm smile stretch across his maw. "I'll always be your light. I won't leave you. If you're broken I want to be the one to fix you" he murmured honestly, his eyes softening as he kept them intensely focused on her.

Not wanting to keep the air of depression that was starting to creep up upon him he broke the eye contact "I'd suggest we try and find something to hunt again? We make a good team after all. Maybe...we should find a pack to settle into?" He suggested hesitantly. He wasn't sure if she'd want to settle into the pack her family was in or if she'd go elsewhere but either way he'd go with her if he was able.
112 Posts
Ooc — Marmoo
"If you're broken..." The words echoed and bounced around in her head. Was she broken? She pondered it for a minute, her head tilted, an unreadable look in her eyes. Blinking, she shook her head and twitched her tail in self annoyance. Why did she ramble so much? As he broke eye contact and spoke, her eyes flicked forward. Food sounded amazing, and the thought of it made her stomach rumble. But the word pack still her tail, and she bit the inside of her cheek, the ache suddenly coming back. She scolded herself. It wasn't her brother's fault that they couldn't take her in. There would be too many of them. A new pack. A new start. Maybe. But could she keep her nightmares at bay for much longer? She had been only dozing since they had travelled together, but her exhaustion was beginning to take a toll. 
Smiling at him, she spoke. If you want to, I'd be honored to join a pack with you. She caught the scent of deer and wild boar, her nostrils flaring. They could go after the boar, but it had never been her favorite meat. Starting to trot, she put her nose down and followed the deer scent. She raised her head and grinned at him, ears turning forward, her tail wagging. This way! Come on, old man. Follow me. She almost giggled as she loped off, muscles tensed in anticipation.
447 Posts
Ooc — Chey
She too seemed to grow lost within her own thoughts and for the second time he wondered what went on in there. Whatever it was he wouldn't pry because he trusted she'd tell him when she felt comfortable to do so. He felt bad that they weren't able to join her family's pack but whenever she wanted to take a trip to visit them, he'd be sure to go with her. It would be awkward for sure, seeing her family, how would he introduce himself? Her friend? Companion? Were they more then that yet? He wasn't sure and now wasn't the time to ask about it so instead when she said she'd be honored to join him he smiled fondly "I'm happy to be anywhere with you. But....it would make the winter easier and add to safety if we joined one. It's been so long though...I'm not quite sure what I have to offer them besides the basics." He said suddenly unsure the might hinder her from finding a home. He had no trades or specific skills despite showing interest in fighting and being a fair hunter. 

Then she brightened up once more the instant change making his head reel but in a good way. It was such a lovely sight, seeing her face brighten, the way her eyes sparkled when she smiled. He stared at her silently, entranced for a moment before standing up, his tail wagging "Lead the way young lady" he replied with a devilish grin and a wink, flanks quivering with the anticipation for a hunt.
112 Posts
Ooc — Marmoo
She gave him a lopsided grin as he spoke, shaking her head slightly. You're a strong wolf, good hunter, and with the way you bring down prey, a damn good fighter. Her eyes went over him and as she followed the deer scent, she wondered what they would introduce the other as. He wouldn't introduce her more than a friend..right? Companion? A thoughtful look came across her face, but she shook her head and pricked her ears forward as they got closer to the herd. Crouching down, she gave the deer herd a once over, her mind switching to hunter mode, her mind picking out the best options. Her voice was soft as she gestured with her snout. No hurt deer, but there's a deer that's been stupid enough to wander a bit from the group on the left. We could go for her if you want. She grinned and winked at him. I'd like to bring her down if you would run her towards me.
447 Posts
Ooc — Chey
He followed her his ears pricking and twitching occasionally. As they neared the deer he picked up the sounds of their grunts and felt his stomach rumble at the prospect of food. He crouched beside Onyx and also studied the herd, formulating a few plans but feeling pleased when she suggested hers. He nodded "I'll go cut her off and chase her here. Let's do this" he grinned and stood up shaking out his pelt and stretching. 

He flashed her a smile before stalking toward the doe, his body lowered. He went so that the wind blew his scent back toward Onyx and away from the deer, keeping him hidden until he was able to leap between the targeted doe and the herd. With a snarl and a snap of his jaws toward her flank he had her set off and she bolted with him following close behind, keeping enough distance to steer her toward where Onyx was ready. The doe aimed a kick toward his shoulder and he flinched trying to duck away and getting clipped but for the most part he was fine. It would probably just be a sore spot for a while after the hunt, he even kept pace and continued to chase his eyes flashing with anger and pain.
112 Posts
Ooc — Marmoo
She made a low, approving sound as he shook out and started walking away, but shook her head and watched him make his way around the herd, his body staying in the shadows almost as if he were a part of them. Her ears perked forward as he snarled and snapped at the deer. It's head snapped up, and it took off towards her, and she grinned, tensing her muscles, getting ready to launch her fangs into the throat. Her breathing quickened a bit as she swallowed, watching the frightened animal run for their life. As the deer neared, she came slightly out of her crouch and launched herself at the deer. Yet it was too late as the deer had saw her and turned quickly, kicking, catching the wolfess in mid-air. Suddenly, she felt the sharp hoof blast into her shoulder and herself being thrown back into a tree, the breath leaving her as her head cracked on to the rough bark and an exploding pain went through her ribs. She dropped onto the ground, stunned for a few seconds, but called out, her voice full of pain and anger. Bring her down! Laying down, she could only take short, shallow breaths, and she closed her eyes, trying to ease the pain.
447 Posts
Ooc — Chey
Just as he had been struck Onyx was too and suddenly memories filled his mind. The herd master lashing out at Olive, A sharp strike to the head and darkness. He roared with rage and leaped ontop of the doe before her forelegs even touched the ground again, fangs sinking into the side of her neck and tearing open the jugular in a Savage display. He dropped off as blood sprayed the snowy ground showing the wound was fatal but he didn't watch the doe. Instead he ran to Onyx and dropped beside her, eyes clouded over with worry and most of all fear. "Onyx don't move. Where are you hurt?" He asked his voice shaking as much as his body was. What if she'd been kicked hard enough to do inside damage? What if she struck her head bad enough to lose her memory? What if she hit her head hard enough to die? The last thought shook him to the core and he pushed his nose against her throat, licking her fur in quick panicked rasps. 

"I'm sorry...I'm sorry. I should have done the kill. I always bring bad things..." He murmured against her fur.
112 Posts
Ooc — Marmoo
A loud roar and then silence as her body went limp. Nothingness surrounded her, coldness saturating her. Her body shivered, but she was not there. The pain had not yet hit her as she lay there. Memories passed through her head asnd faded, as if they never happened. Lonzo, Mawk, her traveling companions...They were as if they were dreams as her breathing shallowed even more, chest rising rapidly, her eyes fluttering fast.
Then a voice. Blinking, she furrowed her brows, but could not rouse herself enough to talk, only a weak chuff as she tried to lift her head. A whine came out as her head exploded with pain, and she laid her head back down. Why the pain? What happened? Was she attacked? The voice spoke again, and her eyes shot open, fear filling them. Her feet moved as if she was trying to get away, a set of pitiful fearful yelps coming out as her voice trembled. Please, no, Lonzo. Please. I won't tell. Please stop. I won't tell. I won't... Her body relaxed again as darkness claimed her again.
447 Posts
Ooc — Chey
His eyes widened as she was unresponsive to his questions and licks, his heartbeat racing as he began to panic. He scanned her body and sniffed at her, not sure whether the blood he smelled was the deers or her own at this point he was so scared. Her eyelids jerked rapidly as if she were seizing and he nudged her getting a chuff in response though she still didn't speak. Then her eyes opened and she looked scared "It's okay, the doe kicked you I'll-" he began to soothe her but jumped back and away startled as she began to kick and yelp in fear, words he didn't understand coming from her maw. Lonzo? Who the fuck was Lonzo and why was she begging him to stop? Promise not to tell what? What it sounded like to him brought a memory of something Onyx had told him, that she was raped by men. Anger flared his nostrils and he sucked in a breath, sitting beside her and slowly licking down her fur in a manner similar to how a mother would groom their child.

She seemed to be unconscious and he stood up knowing she needed help. To make protective measures he marked the area near her and rubbed his scent against her fur, in the case that anyone came upon her they'd know she was with someone and that basically he was outright stating she was his and he'd be back. "Please...hold strong. Don't quit" he murmured and licked her nose lovingly before turning and racing off into the distance to get some help.