Qeya River I will keep quiet, you'll never know what hit you
17 Posts
Ooc —
He had to get to it. Running his dry tongue over his lips, he perked his ears and whined as he tried to find a solid firm place to put his foot without going under. Jumping back, his eyes scanned the land again, his haunches wagging nervously. He had to. With a determined face, he started again, his back feet treading snow, trying to find a hold...just in case. Testing a rock, his brows drew together as he carefully placed his foot on the rock. So far, so good. 
Swallowing hard, moisture was gone, and he eyed the enticing water, whining yet again. He huffed impatiently. It was so close, yet so far. Scrambling his way down the icy rocks, his tail waved like a flag as he tried to keep his balance. He plunged his muzzle into the icy liquid and drank for long moments.
As he finished, he snapped his head up, air finally inflated his lungs, and his tail wagged, thirst quenched. Standing there for a moment, he blinked. He had gotten to the water. Now how did he back up?
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He had been patrolling, a silent sentinel just north of the Maplewood, when a series of sounds reached his ears--running, panting, a whine and splash, the gurgling sound of someone drinking from the river nearby. More intrigued than alarmed, Shale padded that way, wondering if perhaps one of the kids had gotten lost and thirsty.

Instead he found a black and white--well, what was it? Not a wolf, but certainly not a fox or coyote, either. Anyway, it looked harmless enough, standing there with wide eyes, and so Shale came further, giving a firm but friendly bark in greeting. Harmless it may be, but it was still quite close to Morningside's claim, and the man thought he'd better investigate.

"You lost, kid?" It was a young one, several years his junior, and a boy, judging by the scent. Shale peered curiously at his patched pelt, his own bristling slightly with anticipation.
17 Posts
Ooc —
Wagging his tail nervously, the eyes of the dog were determined and thoughtful as he tried to think a way out of it. He had told creatures of how he could take care of himself, pride in his voice. Yet here he was, not being able to back away from a river. Tilting his head, he stared at the river, his heart pounding slightly. He could have waited for a drink. His feet was steady on the slippery rocks, yet what if he moved wrong? He could end up wet and freezing. Huffing slightly, he took a careful step back, his paw searching for solid ground. Dying wasn't an option. His curiousity had to be satisfied. Looking back, he took another step. It stayed for a moment, then slipped slightly, but furrowing his eyebrows, he steadied his leg, and it bore his weight.
Hearing a voice, he started, and a surprised yelp fell from his maw, so focused he was on not falling in that he had not heard the creature approaching. His footing slipped, and his claws slid over the icy rocks, his eyes wide. Almost laying down, he held enough traction to stop from going to the river.
He looked up to see the owner of this voice. Another wolf. Any fear he had turned to a gleam of curiosity and sheepishness in his voice. Hey there! Yeah, you could say that. I, uh, I also kind of got myself stuck. An embarrassed chuckle came out, and he wagged his tail slowly. Tilting his head and perking his ears, he spoke again. Do you..think you could help me?
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
His ears cupped with intrigued anticipation as the boy spoke, words floating to him from up the ravine. Stuck? "Uh, maybe?" Shale responded, not meaning to sound so ambivalent but. . .well, what could he do? He didn't even know the kid's name, and, if he was honest, he didn't fancy a dip in a freezing river this time of year. "Got any ideas that won't get me stuck? Or wet?"

The silver male picked his way nimbly down the slope, settling on what he hoped was solid ground just a few tail-lengths away from the boy. "How did you end up in this mess, anyway?" he asked, eyebrows arched high in scrutiny.

Still, he felt compassion come over him like a wave, and knew it for the feeling that had never really gone away since his children had been born. A father he was, and a father he'd always be. The same outpouring of support he'd shown for Narcisa--who'd vanished, damn her--was now coming out in this interaction. A strange wolf the kid may be, but he was still a creature in need of help, and Shale would do his best to lend aid.