Bearclaw Valley I'm not lazy, I'm on energy-saving mode
38 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He sensed the change in her, but was confused as to what caused it. Had he said something wrong? Her next statement seemed fine enough, but he wasn't convinced she was at ease with him now. He got his answer in her next question. It was understandable that she would be worried about him offing her young family members. After all, to puppies, he was a predator.

Ridge wasn't into lying, but he didn't want her to fear him, either. Ah, well... Nature is as she is, he admitted. I may grab a puppy if it's an easy target... Not much different than you grabbing a young fawn, he said gingerly. But, I don't make a habit of it. Most wolves, as I've seen, are quite protective over their young. They're more likely to attack me, so it isn't in my best interest to seek them out. He was much more into prey that would simply run from him than do him any harm. He may be a formidable opponent in the sky, but once on the ground, he was at a huge disadvantage.
i will pry his bony fingers free
1,207 Posts
Ooc —
despite the uncomfortable topic they broached, indra appreciated his no-bullshit answer. she looked upon the raptor carefully, her muzzle draw in a pursed expression. on the one hand, he had not flinched from delivering the truth -- on the other, that truth could come at a great cost -- her family's lives.

indra would not stand for that. even if she lacked the faculties to enforce it, she would not allow such a thing to happen to her sister's children. "it would not be in your best interest to pick out laurel's." she said, her voice surprisingly firm. "any others... are fair game." she hoped he would understand that she knew it was in his nature, and did not judge him for it -- so long as they were not laurel's brood.
now the wren has gone to roost and the sky is turning gold,
and like the sky, my soul is also turning.
38 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He watched her as she considered him, obviously thinking about his answer. He wasn't surprised to find her voice much more authoritative when she warned him about her sister's pups. It was interesting to him that she considered any other pups fair game, since he probably wouldn't know the difference.

I'll stick to hunting rodents and the like within your territory, he promised, essentially promising not to hunt any pups in the valley. That way, he couldn't make the mistake of picking out one of her sister's by accident. Most would probably think him a fool to promise not to do what came naturally, but he figured the valley was small compared to the rest of his world, and not hunting a specific animal within wouldn't really matter much to him.
1,207 Posts
Ooc —
indra was proud of how deadpan and firm her statement had been; she couldn't help but puff up a little, as she saw the powerful bird of prey consider her words. it was something, to have an avian of his grandiose contemplate her -- she was tiny, but in this moment, she felt mighty.

the umber-feathered raptor conceded to eating rodents then, and indra nodded in appreciative affirmation. "we have plenty of those, did you see the ones by the cliff? marmots." she smiled lightly, canting her muzzle towards the stony ridge. "plenty of hares too, in the lowlands. do you hunt here often?"
38 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He could sense the change in her. She went from shy and polite to firm and maybe a little bit aggressive as she puffed up. She obviously meant what she said, he believe that. He thought that his words would put her at ease, but he didn't feel that was the case. Did she not believe him? Well, she didn't know him, so he supposed it was wise of her not to trust his word. No matter, she would see in time that he would keep his promise.

This is my first time in this area, so I haven't explored very much, he admitted. Sensing the strain the subject had put on their conversation, he decided now would be a good time to part ways, for now. I think I might go see if I can find some, he said. I'll see you around? he asked. 

Once he received her answer, he nodded before stretching his wings and lifting himself off the branch to go in search of the marmots.
1,207 Posts
Ooc —
indra neednt hold her steadfast conviction for long -- it appeared ridge was as sharp mentally as he was physically. she seemed to visibly sag as he lifted his wings. "yeah -- see you around." she canted her muzzle to him for a moment and then grinned: "if you see anything interesting, there's a marmot for you." she did not wait for him to respond -- turning round on her heels, indra headed towards laurel's den.