Dragoncrest Cliffs In the kitchen, wrist twistin' like a stir fry
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
All Welcome 
The Feisripa ignored the low temperatures and brutally cold windchill as she roved the forest in search of food. By late morning, three dead rabbits lay at her feet. She stashed two in a stockpile—where they would surely freeze in minutes—and carried the largest back to the tree for @Thuringwethil. She wasn't there at the moment, so Wildfire didn't linger either. She began heading toward the beach, nose going numb as the cold sea air whipped past her.
[time & tide]
479 Posts
Ooc — -
Guardian
Warrior
The wocha remained out despite the temperatures, too. Enough arctic blood on him made it doable thankfully, and he worked combing over and remarking their edges intently. Even the worst of still-healing injuries didn't hinder his step all that much anyway, and with new neighbors to be concerned with these days (so fresh from all their prior conflict), he had to keep up with everything. After he made his way up their southern edge heading west, he called it done for now when the beach finally drew near.

Early on, his route was relatively undefined until he could spot characteristic red-fur coming along towards the beach too, but from a different vantage than his own. He knew instantly it had to be either Blixen or Wildfire.. so Dio paused just enough to watch her a beat, and didn't take long. He soon picked up to a cleaner trot of his own heading that way, and went to attempt to join up beside her path. 
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
She wasn't alone for long, though Wildfire didn't mind in the least when the Wocha materialized beside her. She woofed under her breath, bumping her smudged snout beneath his pale chin, and continued striding along the cold sands in silence for a few moments. Dio was one of those wolves she knew so well and for so long that she was entirely comfortable in his presence without any pressing urge to make small talk.

Eventually, however, Wildfire gave voice to a thought that had begun spinning in her mind the moment he had begun trotting alongside her. "I've been living in the present as much as possible, catching up with Heda and the kids," she shared, "but I can't stop thinking about the future. Do you think you and Portia will have another litter this spring?" It was very forward and perhaps nosy but, again, Wildfire felt entirely at ease broaching such a subject with the pack's head warrior.
[time & tide]
479 Posts
Ooc — -
Guardian
Warrior
He didn't have to favor his leg as badly now and instead, he was working to rebuild what traveling, healing, and resting, had used within the last month or so. With the beach underfoot, and him plenty familiar with it, the footing was easy on him. A good stretch (perhaps his best and easiest since they'd returned) was a welcome change of pace that he saw fit to finally consider something like an earnest upswing. He did have high standards on that, true, but waiting around to heal had been awful.

She seemed to be in good spirits, though. He teetered more on the edge of neutrality, but overwhelmingly glad to just be out and about again—with her and Étoille both back, safe, and accounted for. There was someone he was still missing, but he was bothered by his apathy towards that one more than the actual absence. The cold trails, lost in the snow, the winds, and whatever else while they had been away in Blackfeather, had given him nothing to work with either. Anyway, to her mention of the heda and their brood, he was happy for her and hoped to reflect this somehow. "They really missed you," he said honestly, with a certain sincerity he didn't always carry on with towards her.

As for his own blood, and the potential of its future propagation, Dio was comfortable enough to answer it without lengthy forethought. "We may.. I think, if it works out." he answered as he splayed out his ears. A year had flown by an he refused to dwell too outwardly on the misplaced Sirio unprompted, even if he was the root of most of his doubts. One differently difficult son notwithstanding, he had a good feeling that his wife may agree with his thoughts on such a topic. "She's been pretty busy with everyone getting back finally and all, I can't say we've really planned very much yet." And neither had she seen to her heat yet, which was also a large part of what kept his pace relaxed on the issue for now—even with the reality that this could change at any moment. He was feeling more like himself in the last few days anyway, so that was also working to keep him hopeful that an upswing would come their way soon.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Dio demonstrated no hesitation in answering frankly, although he did admit that he and his mate hadn't given it much thought yet. Wildfire nodded in understanding. There had been so much to preoccupy the pack over the past several months, likely nobody was used to planning ahead anymore. But they were out of the proverbial woods now, hence Wildfire's own clarity on these matters. Despite everything, she yearned to keep building a family with Thuringwethil.

"I'd love to raise our pups together again," the Feisripa mused, smiling sideways at Dio. She hopped over a small piece of driftwood, nibbling at her lip before she thought aloud, "I appreciate so much what you did for us last year to help us start our family. But I probably won't ask that of you again." She turned to him more fully now, hoping to convey herself with proper tact, "Not because you did a bad job." Wildfire laughed. "But out of respect for your relationship with Portia." She blinked, wondering what Dio would make of this unsolicited information. Would he be insulted? Relieved? Indifferent?
[time & tide]
479 Posts
Ooc — -
Guardian
Warrior
He nodded deeply, ready to agree. "Same here," he said. Although Dalia and Sirio had not.. integrated in quite the same way Wildfire's brood had, it had still been in their best interests to grow up alongside others, not just each other. It had not necessarily panned out for Sirio but the wocha believed the boy himself was to blame for that; he had been too unmotivated to even care about how good he had it here. He did hope that if they had the chance to again (hard telling with nature and circumstance at play), his brood would be ready to take even greater advantage of the situation of fellow youths.

Even if they weren't necessarily sired by him, he had a good feeling that he would still regard Wildfire's upcoming brood all the same. Granted, he would always reserve a little something extra in mind for Robin, Artaax, and Blixen just because they were his blood and how could he not? But it still boiled down to them being Wildfire's first and foremost. "That's fine," he said, matching a new glance her way. "I understand," he laughed gently too. He was not bothered, albeit also not sure if he should thank her or what. Since it was with his bond to Portia in mind (and he really doubted she'd be as nonplussed about it as him), it certainly seemed kind of her to save them from even needing to approach that discussion, in one way or another. A little genetic diversity never hurt, though. Since they would always be Wildfire and Thuringwethil's litter before anyone else's, it wasn't difficult to accept. "Have you thought about who yet?" he asked. Only Étoille and Hush came to immediate mind. Males, especially ones older than yearlings, were scarce as ever here.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
His offhanded reaction teased a relieved smile from her. He didn't seem to take offense or otherwise mind her decision. Wildfire threw him a deeply appreciative look when Dio said he understood and followed up this statement with an airy laugh. Naturally, he wondered if she'd thought of someone else. Her ears flicked and she shook her head.

"Not really," she admitted. She was sort of glad she could say that honestly, so that the Wocha didn't feel shunted aside for someone else specifically. "There are a few eligible bachelors," she continued, putting a slight emphasis on the word "bachelors," as she wanted to avoid any mated males if at all possible. Otherwise, why not Dio? "But it's still early."

A beat of silence passed before the huntress changed the subject without breaking stride. "I never got a chance to thank you, individually and personally, for fighting in the war. So let me say it now: mochof."
[time & tide]
479 Posts
Ooc — -
Guardian
Warrior
None of this was to say he wouldn't.. if she asked him to help this out again. But he didn't need to, and was certainly alright with it since he did fully intend to see to Portia's heat it if came. The perpetuation of his genes wasn't one-hundred percent ensured, but odds were plenty good enough to not urge more motivation from him it seemed. Knowing it wasn't just because of some better suitor somewhere left him just as neutral as before, too. "Hm, you're right," he pondered, although not at length; he wasn't shopping for males in particular, and didn't know who else she knew beyond what their ranks here offered if she really wanted to expand her horizons. "There's time," he agreed, but didn't pick at in any more length than that.

His ears pricked anew to her next turn of the conversation, and for a thoughtful beat, he was silent--but content, shown by a slow waving tail. "You're welcome," he eventually settled upon. And, for Wildfire more specifically: "Monin hou," he said with a sincere exhale. "I'm just glad we could get you back to us." He only wished they could have done it sooner. However the war had been a victory on their side, so, it was now just time to move on past it and mend, and he turned his mismatched eyes towards the horizon over the water. "While we were south, I missed the beach more than I thought I would," he chuffed softly, and stepped more lightly as he looked to pick up the pace for a bit to really partake in the sandy shores he had longed to see. Maybe it was the same for her, or worse, or not at all, but they were here and home once more; they may as well enjoy.

(monin hou = welcome home)
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
He welcomed her home formally and Wildfire closed her eyes and bowed her head in appreciation. When she reopened them, she looked out to the sea even as Dio spoke of it. She drew in a deep breath, holding the sea salt in her lungs a long moment before releasing it again.

"I've seen a lot of places in my day," she said, feeling a little old as she said it (and laughing self-consciously), "but nothing beats the seaside. You know, I've always loved exploring. I mean, I'm a ranger by trade. But I told Heda I wasn't going anywhere ever again. And I really doubt I'll change my mind, even in time. This is home. This is where I belong."

In the next breath, Wildfire grinned fiendishly and proclaimed, "Race you!" before darting away along the sand and surf.