Stone Circle I'm recovered enough to feel hatred towards the one responsible for all this
A cheap trick and a cheesy one-liner
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador

At first, Stark had stayed away out of respect. Hearing that Valette's oldest  daughter had perished had made him more wary, more paranoid, and he'd doubled the patrols he was running. It was a day, maybe two, later that Stark approached Valette's den and gave a quiet chuff. He didn't want to disturb her and he certainly would understand if she sent him away. Still, he'd make his oresebce known and do whatever it took to try and provide some support to her. 

Stark felt silly standing there, realizing he hadn't brought anything - no food, no trinket, no nothing. He didn't like showing up empty handed but it was entirely too late to fix it. Instead he waited a bit away from the den and hoped @Valette wouldn't mind.

i grew a human and unfortunately as a horrible side effect lost an organ - as such will be slow from time to time.
[Image: gamekeeper.gif] 3/5
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette was pretty heartbroken with the death of Keoni. Even though her daughter had returned mute from her travels and they hadn't had a verbal conversation in a while, Valette still missed having Keoni around. She tried to pick up some tasks regarding border control, but she doubted that this was something that was inflicted by someone else. Valette suspected this since her lips were swollen. So it seemed a poisoning, perhaps it could have been another wolf that poisoned her. Valette didn't wish to be so suspicious.

The mother lifted her head from her paws when she heard a chuff. Valette pushed herself to her feet and when she peeked from her den she saw Stark. Her eyes welled up. She wasn't sure why it happened but just the thought that Keoni would never be around anymore hurt her. Keoni and Nikai brought her together with Steady, her death made her feel more detached from Steady. "She died," she sniffled as she climbed from her den. She couldn't help herself and snuggled herself against Stark and buried her face in his plush check.
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador

The moment he saw Valette his heart broke for her. How unfair life could be to steal your husband and child. He had assumed as much when he had heard her sorrowful howls but the confirmation still was a punch to the gut. "Val..." Stark began dumbly but then stopped talking the moment her dark form crashed into his. The best that he could do was to offer her comfort and he readily nuzzled against her, tucking her close in a wolfish hug. "I'm so sorry..." Truly he was, Valette was too kind to deserve the misfortune that had been plaguing her. 

Stark couldn't help breathing heavily of her scent as close as they were, all he could keep thinking of was how ubfair her life hsd been thus far. She was nowhere near old enough for the hardships she had faced. "Anything you need me to do - I will." Stark promised. 

i grew a human and unfortunately as a horrible side effect lost an organ - as such will be slow from time to time.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette leaned against him. She was glad that she had someone to lean on. She didn't want to be strong all the time. She wasn't. She just wanted to sob her eyes out and blame everyone even though Keoni's death might not have been anyone's fault. "She was so young. Steph and Nikai are both injured as well and last time I saw Murdock he wasn't well either," Valette sniffled in his coat. "What if Nikai and Steph die as well now we have no medic? And now that sounds horrible because she was also my daughter and Keoni will never come back," she blubbered.

Valette just wanted to hide in his nice smelling fur for a while. It comforted her. "Just stay here with me," she whispered then. She really didn't want to be alone. Her mind would go over what she had seen and then question if she could have done anything about it. She probably couldn't have but still. She would have liked to try if she could.
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador

Stark had a few ideas of what they would do - he'd make sure even if he had to range the wilds himself they would have a medic. "I'll go over to Bearclaw and ask if anyone is a healer. Make some use out of our friendship." Stark was used to handling messages and interpack relationships - it wouldn't be hard. Especially with a good cause like making sure Nikai and Steph were okay. " I'll even run up to Morningside if need be, didn't they have a couple healers?" Stark had never formed any alliances for the keep. He hadn't been interested after all the secrecy that had been engrained in him. But Valette had been smarter - she'd cultivated those relationships. "That's what friends are for - right?" Stark said gently, not expecting a smile from her but hoping all yhe same to give her some reassurances. 

He gently began to groom her, teeth raking through her fur slowly. He didn't want to be too forward - for a couple of reasons, honestly - but he'd always found physical contact to be soothing. "I'm not going anywhere."  He didn't want to seem sleezy like he was coming onto her while she was in mourning, and, he didn't want to distract her from everything more important than he was in the pack - like the pack itself, her children, all of it. 

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette slowly calmed down more as Stark suggested some wonderful things. Her breathing slowed down with each gulp, and the gulps became evener into a smooth breathing pattern. She still kept her face against his fur though. She didn't want to look up at reality yet. She wanted to keep her eyes clothes for one more moment. "I think that is a good idea. Grayday would want to help, and I think they have healers," she spoke. "Bearclaw is closer. I don't know if Xan has healers but we can always ask. He would help if he knew two of my children were injured," she commented.

Even though her face was hiding in Stark's fur she closed her eyes at the physical contact Stark gave her. She felt her heart rate slow down and she felt much calmer now all her emotional levels were lowered. She took in a deep sigh and then gave a lick on his cheek. "Thank you, Stark," she whispered and leaned more against him. She was going to take full 'advantage' of this moment to be comforted by a handsome male. She felt that if Stark would be uncomfortable with it he would give her a sign.
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador

Valette's breathing slowed and stabilized and Stark in turn relaxed a bit. He curled around her more, nuzzling along her jaw and cheek. "If we need to, I'll go. I'm pretty quick on my feet, you know." Stark smiled gently before resting his head on Valette's head again. She seemed to do well with the physical connection. The brief lick to his cheek didn't bother him in the slightest. He wouldn't do anything else, it seemed inappropriate even by his warped standards. 

Still, he smiled, feeling like he'd done something right even if he didn't know what that thing was. Still, he traced his nose along the sensitive edge of her ear before he shook his head. "You don't have to thank me for doing the right thing." He said evenly. He'd always been awkward when it came to gratitude from others. "What can we do to help the family more?"  Hunting and meal delivery - maybe taking extra tasks around the pack, Easthollow was a family that took care of their own, so, he didn't doubt they would help. 

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette slowly nodded. She knew Stark was a scout and able to find his way. The female nodded in reply to him to confirm that he was fast on his feet and could travel to them for help. Valette's ear twitched as his nose traveled along the sensitive rim. The female hummed softly. "I'd like to say thank you either way," she spoke with a light shrug. She knew that Stark wouldn't just be there like this for anyone. For a pack member perhaps. Still, it made the female feel special. She liked to think that he would only be this sensitive and nice to her and perhaps Banner.

"We need to find someone that knows about healing wounds because Nikai and Steph are still injured. I think that is important. Make sure that we are there for them. But also keep an eye out on the borders. Not just the scent, I think it is strong enough but just more eyes to see peculiar things. A lynx ate from Keoni's body. I don't like other predators in the territory. Foxes I can allow, but anything bigger is a no-go," she spoke, getting back into that more alpha mode and thinking what is best for the family. Perhaps also a get together where they can mourn for Keoni and tell good stories about her.
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador

Stark tensed when Valette said Keoni  had been defiled that way. "Its the season of vagabonds with no respect." Stark pointed out regretfully - he hadn't seen Keoni's body and now he almost regretted it. It might have helped Valette to have someone close but it also seemed like such a private, sensitive time. He sighed softly and nuzzled against her skull gently. "I am so sorry... A mother never expects to bury a child, neither does a wife their husband."  on that level they were both unfortunately familiar. 

"Anything you need from me, just ask."  Stark said evenly - he didn't want to seem too eager but he knew he would carry whatever burdens he could to make things easier on Valette. "That's now or whenever - you do get to boss me around after all." He teased gently, wanting to try and make it less serious of an offer. When she was grieving didn't seem like the right time after all. 

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette slowly nodded in agreement. Usually, lynxes weren't such a big problem. They wouldn't hurt a wolf though they would eat from their loved one's body. Valette wished it wasn't so but what she was confident about what that Keoni hadn't been killed by one. There was a lack of blood, meaning her body was already growing cold. "They shouldn't. But sometimes it does happen," she signed softly but then offered a sad smile at Stark. "I hope she is in a happier place."

Valette nodded once more. "Now I just like you to sit with me," she admitted and battered her eyes at him. She did quirk up her lips into a soft smile when he teased her. Valette liked that idea that she technically could boss around Stark but she was not that kind of alpha. Valette just planted her butt down next to him and leaned against him in silence. That is all she needed. Someone who could give her comfort.

- end -