Horizon Ridge I'm happy and content
I want the part of you that you refuse to give. *anonymous*
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
@Pump you had said about wanting a thread after the pups yes:) If not I can make this all welcome.

Thistle Cloud sat at the den mouth barring entrance with her body as Ragnar had done. He had yet to tell her the complete significance of this action, but she knew itw as important to him so she took up the mantle. The babes were curled up on the deer hide for a moment while their mother received some rays of sun. Tveir had played himself out as he had crawled around trying to determine all the blobs that he could now see. it amused Thistle to no end how quickly they were growing.

She lay her head on her paws, just for a moment she would lay there. Soon enough it would be time to return to the babes she never left them for more than a few minutes at a time, after all they were largely dependent on her warmth though the many furs that littered the floor helped to keep them thusly as well.
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
Pump had suffered a mild cut in one of her pawpads recently - she could walk, but it was not very comfortable, therefore she had put off the plans for a pack hunt until the paw healed completely. The wolf-dog didn't even consider the idea that someone else could lead the hunt, because - ever since she had promoted Ragnar to the beta rank - he had done a truly marvellous job, yet she felt a little overshadowed, therefore the hunt would be the one thing to change the tide.

She had kept her end of the bargain and stopped by the young mother's den now and then, leaving a small gift in a form of a hare or chunks of sea lion meat from a corpse, which she had found during one of the scavenger hunts at the beach. However, being a busy person herself, this usually happened either pretty early or very late and she never came too near the den, knowing, how very protective Ragnar had become and having no desire to be mistaken for a threat.

Pump had decided to visit Thistle herself today - it had been a while, since she had spoken with the "third in command" (technically) - plus, since it was mid-day, it meant that Ragnar would be away. There was a slight limp in her step, because she was protecting her paw, but otherwise she looked quite well. "Thistle," she greeted her packmate, when she came in the vicinity of her den and saw the healer.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle raised her head and smiled at the other female, happy to see another familiar face. Lately it had just been herself and her husband. Not that she minded, being a home body at heart, however she did enjoy other conversation as well. She had smelled Pump on the different food stuff that had be set at her den mouth in the morning or late in the evening and she had appreciated it greatly, Ragnar and others had brought food as well though Pump seemed to be the most regular.

She did notice the limp and frowned slightly at it. hello Pump, What's wrong with your foot? Do I need to give you something to put on it? Thistle shifted her weight and mentally decided she could probably put some Bergamot and some cobwebs on the paw and that was probably all it would need.
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
Nothing escaped Thistle's eyes unnoticed. Pump stopped, cast a quick, dismayed glance at her foot and then put it firmly on the ground, wincing inwardly, but not letting it show. This was a small deal and even the wolf-dog with her limited knowledge in healing could tell that this was nothing serious and would heal itself. Therefore she took some steps closer to, where Thistle lied, peeked curiously over her back at the dark entrance of the den and then lied down.

"Nah - will be good," she replied and then teased, "so very keen in getting back in business?"
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle saw her glance and smiled they are sleeping bundled up in a few furs including a deer hide. We have 2 boys and a girl, I am not sure if you have spoken to Ragnar or not. I know you were there the day they were born, but I was far to exhausted to listen. She really didn't know if Ragnar had spoken with anyone really. She had been in the den since their birth except to eat and relieve herself.

Thistle chuckled Always am. Hopefully one of them follow in my footsteps it would make me a very proud mom. Anything New? Thistle tilted her head she had known a bit of Pump and Gavriil but she decided it was really none of her business unless the other she wolf wished to tell her her self, then she would listen gladly.
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Ragnar is very protective," Pump informed Thistle, even though it was very unlikely that she was unaware of this fact. "He won't let anyone near them - claims there has to be a ritual or something like that first," she rolled her eyes, but let him have his way. He complied to her so many times, that she thought it was only fair for her to not bother about this. After all her interest about the children was moderate now, because apart from being small, vulnerable fluffs, who could only eat and sleep, there was no use of them to Pump. She looked forward to seeing them, when they were finally able to walk around and capable of learning something useful.

Pump hoped so too. She didn't know, what their real father had been like, but with Thistle and Ragnar as their parents and with the rest of the Horizon ridge folk helping them, there was no way these kids could grow up weak and unprepared for the cruel world that awaited them. "It's possible that another pack is settling somewhere near," Pump told. "We have caught scent of foreign wolves outside more than once," the fact was still not proven to be true, but being cautious never hurt anyone.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ragnar did not tell her this specifically but he did tell Gavriil so I am going to assume here he told her too finally lol

Thistle nodded yes it's a tradition in his culture. It has something to do with the children being unprotected until a rite is done, so if anyone went in and hurt them he could not have revenge until after the rite is done so to keep them safe he is not letting any one near them. Not that anyone would hurt them it's just a tradition and in case you haven't noticed he is quite set in his ways. She chuckled at the last part, sure the irony was not lost on Pump herself. She knew very well how set in his ways Thistle's husband was.

Thistle nodded her head Ragnar told me this. I think this other pack is foolish. If i am correct they are settling on an island? they would have to come here to hunt yes? I think that is too near in my own personal opinion, but again it may just be my motherly instincts kicking in.
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
Pump let Ragnar have his way, knowing well that she couldn't change him or force him to do anything he did not want. She had no objections for him taking care of the children as if they were his own, performing important rites or whatever he considered necessary, yet he probably had forgotten one of Pump's conditions, when she had allowed Thistle to keep the kids. They belonged to every single member that had voted "yes". Meaning that Pump and Gavriil were just as much in charge of their fates as he was. The gentle giant would probably be willing to bend the rules and submit, but Pump wouldn't. The rule came first and then only did the mateship and any claims he had made. It was great for him to express that kind of selflessness (such as accepting the children as his own), but the wolf-dog was going to keep a close eye on his deeds in the future and was ready to stop them, if she didn't like them.

However, this was a subject for another day. They had more important matters now. "Silly, indeed," Pump agreed. She had never lived on an island, yet she hated confined spaces and that place was just like that. "If they cause any problems - they will be deep in trouble," she assured Thistle. Neither Pump, nor Ragnar were people to mess around. You either abide to the rules or were struck down.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle thought she didn't speak of it often, knew very well the conditions which were put on her precious babes head. And if she had her way they would never know it, she would tell them some day but only when she was ready and they were old enough to understand.

Thistle tilted her head and spoke quietly I don't know very much about pack life, but what do you think makes them think it is perfectly fine to be so near? Aren't most wanting to be far away from each other? Thistle wasn't sure, but she was fairly certain that most pack's did not want to be anywhere near each other, it would cause too much strife.
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
As much as Pump wanted to swipe the other pack off the earth, there wasn't much she could do about it. They were located on the island and, even though it was too near for her liking, there wasn't any valid reason, why they should be a nuisance to Horizon ridge wolves. However, it did mean that they would come to hunt on the mainland at one point and Pump was very keen on not letting that to happen.

"Near and far is a relative thing," Pump replied to Thistle's inquiry. There was a mass of water between the territories of the two packs and technically, unless one of them decided to swim over here, there was no trouble at all. "As long as we don't have to compete with them for food, we can tolerate them," thus she indicated that the situation could change during the winter time. "Don't befriend any of them though," she warned and not without a reason. A friendship between two neighboring packs ended, when there was survival in question. To avoid conflicting morals and heartbreak, it was better to keep distance.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
thistle listened and a slight shudder to her insides made her sober up quickly. Well I cna't go anywhere for some time yet and as it is Pump I don't think i'll ever make friends from another pack again. that is a lesson that could have been more disastrous than it was in a manner of speaking. Though something beautiful had come from it and yes they had been friend first, it was still something that made Thistle wary of all other wolves and their intentions even females given Diluculo's flirtatious ways.

She had trusted easily before and to an extent she still trusted her pack mates easily, but she was not as trustign as she had been of outsiders. She also was becoming quite a home body, preferring to be inside the pack lands rather than outside.
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
"You are pretty clever for your age," Pump said and gave Thistle a look of approval. It wasn't that she thought that girl had lacked wit before, it was simply that she was a lot younger than the wolf-dog and that she had been sheltered from most of the horrors the world had to offer. The fact probably explained, why Thistle and Gavriil didn't have such problems in making new friends - it wasn't such an effort as it was for the leader.

"How are the cubs doing?" she asked, deciding not to dwell on the subject about the Wheeling Gull Isle wolves for too long. "Were there weaklings in the litter?" Pump questioned further.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle chuckled and spoke quietly That cleverness has been called into question a few times, but I like to think I get by thanks. She smiled at the wolf dog's look of approval. She had not realized she had wanted her approval until right then. She respected Pump deeply and found that she enjoyed her as a leader. She did not know if she could count her a friend, after all the leader very rarely had friends immediately it took her longer to make them, but she liked to think she was one.

Thistle chuckled They are good the boys are very active, the little girl she is smaller than them, but still as active. They already tumble over each other and fight over milk and warmth. I think they will do well. The oldest seems to be the most driven though.
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
There wouldn't be any progress without making mistakes - the important thing was, whether you learned from them. Pump had no doubt that Thistle even with her soft-spoken nature had just as good chances of survival as did the wolf-dog with her toughness and inability to love and form a long term commitment. It appeared that the young healer felt a little happier knowing of her leader's approval and it made Pump feel better too - seeing, how much it meant for her subordinate.

Hearing that all of the cubs were doing well was good news. Those, who were too sick or weak had no place here, and in case there had been any Pump would have to take the unpleasant task of killing them. In her experience weaklings were a burden and they later passed away in a very pitiful way. It was better to save them from that kind of suffering. But it seemed that this wasn't going to be her job this year and to be honest - she was glad about it. The last thing the pack needed was even more drama. "Fighters and those, who don't give up - that's the spirit," she mused. "When exactly Ragnar will let us see them?"
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle did not regret the mistakes she made, mostly now she just looked back on most of them with embarrassment or amusement. You learned from them after all and her biggest mistake of all, well she wouldn't have her little ones now would she and that was more than she could ever regret.

Thistle nodded her head Yes they are definitely fighters and driven. thistle stopped talking for a minute as she tried to remember what he had said. I believe he told me a month, which that is about two more weeks, they'll be able to interact better with the others of the pack as well then as they will have their sight, their hearing, their voices and they will be able to start to eat meat. They are still developing all that now. She smiled.
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
For a person, who had never had kids and had avoided all kinds of interaction at any cost possible, it was reassuring to know that Thistle had all the information needed to take care for the little ones. Two weeks was not that long and Pump would not admit it, but part of her was curious to see, what the kids looked like. They were going to be her future packmates, allies and maybe friends after all.

"Has he told, what he is planning to do?" Pump questioned further. Over the past few weeks she had had a better view and understanding of Ragnar's culture, but some things still were obscure and seemed a bit weird.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle knew what she did, because she had had a good mother who had made sure she knew all she needed to know of birthing and children before she had left her home to make this journey to here. If she hadn't she would probably be flailing in the water at the moment unsure what to do and how to do it, though instincts were proving paramount as well.

Thistle shook her head he has not gone into great detail, but my basic understanding is that we will move to a rendezvous site and while there he will officially acknowledge the children as little beings that are worthy of life and from then on if any would try to hurt them it is considered an act of violence and can be revenged. It will also be time for everyone to officially meet them. She wasn't sure if she had it completely right, but she was fairly certain she had the basics of the ritual, it was merely an acknowledgement right that the children were living breathing beings and could be protected by him and her.
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
Pump listened carefully to what Thistle had to say and at the end of her speech she was grinning. It was rare for the wolf-dog to express emotions - she preferred not to give way and be calm, collected and reserved - but the life among her packmates here had had positive effects on her. Smiling was an art she was still learning, but it came easier as it had before.

"He has a way of making things complicated, doesn't he?" she asked, quirking an eyebrow. It turned out that her word that the kids would not be harmed was not enough. He needed an approval in front of his gods and traditions. "But so do I. Not much different in that aspect," she continued to muse. It was true - their minds could be differ on various subjects - yet they had a lot of in common.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle returned the smile. It was a strange but welcoming sight on the alpha's face. As Pump grew into her position, Thistle had noticed that she was becoming friendlier at least to those below her. She still held wariness in her expression and you had to earn her trust, but that is what made her a good leader and a fast friend.

Thistle laughed outright and nodded her head Yes he does in almost every aspect of life. Thistle listened with a small smile on her face and another chuckle came from her maw. yes you two are quite similar sometimes mindset was, but also very different it's a refreshing change. Though i'd be lying if i said it didn't make me wary, merely because that makes way for disagreements sometimes and I do not like to see either one of you angry.
338 Posts
Ooc — Me
Speaking of getting angry - Pump was less aggressive than Ragnar and didn't desire to involve in conflicts, if they were possible to avoid. It seemed that the white beast, however, desired a fight and if he hadn't had at least one, he would not consider it being an excellent day. Probably an exaggeration on her part, but still... some bits in this fact were true.

"Very well," Pump got to her feet and stretched thoroughly, "I should be going. Can't let Ragnar beat me in being a better warden, can I?" she cracked a grin, but the intended joke was not far from the truth. She did have a friendly rivalry with him. "See you later," she told the healer and after waiting a little, in case she had something to add, left for the borders.