Emberwood Pick a star on the dark horizon and follow the light
112 Posts
Ooc — Marmoo
Private 
@Olive this will be interesting! :)
The woods. Of course. It always led back to here. Why wouldn't it? Her life had always led back to the woods. 

Her legs trembled as once again, the trees towered over her, like the monster that haunted her nightmares. She huffed, trying to clear those thoughts, yet they floated there, as if now mocking her in the daylight. Cupping her ears forward, her chocolate brown eyes were blurred by tears, and she chastised herself. This had to be done... didn't it? Doubt swept through her for what seemed like the hundreth time, pausing her step. 

Shaking her head, she put one paw in front of the other, cautiously stepping into the pale trees. The man she had encountered had said the lake would be the the best place to start her search for Reigi. Yet her mind wasn't on Reigi, it was on the woman who might be able to help her. Sniffing the air, she wondered if she was even there. She had looked for a while, yet had not turned up anything. 

Almost turning back, she flicked her tail and blinked away the tears, moving deeper into the white wooded forest.
I am a searcher. Always was. I still am...searching for the missing piece.
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
It was a strange time to be Olive. She continued on her travels, refusing to latch on to one area for too long before moving once more across the Teekons — onwards and upwards, always! There was something perceivably different about it though, and the sylph was self-aware and introspective enough to question it and try to prod at her own psyche for answers. It wasn’t discomfort per se, but it was a lightness in her heart and a queasiness in her stomach that not even her wayfarer’s feet could outrun. It was a sensation not entirely unfamiliar to the lamb.

It wasn’t long before ultimate understanding and certainty rushed to her.  

The fact that she was carrying a stranger’s children, surprisingly, did not throw Olive for a loop as it once might have done. Olive’s days of questioning the gods were over; had ended with the dissolution her and Dakarai’s marriage, so many moons again.  But this was something truly spectacular, to follow the holy scripture without imposition or a handsome lothario to distract her from her piety — and since she was truly following the divine path, as she has always meant to, there was no doubt from in her mind that these cubs were heaven-sent; of the gods! A part of the collective conscious that was sent to manifest upon the earth, in physical creation, to fulfill some purpose that she would help them realize. Oh, the good these children would do! The souls they would heal, and the balance they would bring to the world! All of wolfkind would be better because of their existence, and the woman was all too happy to act as their host.

A wolfess moved about within the forest. Interested in making an acquaintance, Olive approached with gaze bright and step, high. “Hail,” she spoke, silken banner making low, wide sweep between her hocks. 

and all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams
are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams
in what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams

112 Posts
Ooc — Marmoo
As she moved through the forest, she tried to ignore the niggling feeling of doubt that had crawled her way into her mind, shoving it back time and again as she scanned the slim trees with a backdrop of dusk. Swiveling her ears, her eyebrows drew together, trying to catch even the slightest of noises. Yet none that she heard was what she wanted to fall upon her ears.

Where is she? Is she here?

The wind seemed to whisper, pushing her on to answer their questions. Her paw falls were soft on the snow, her thoughts heavy in her mind. Swallowing hard, she fought back the emotions building to a crescendo, waiting for a feather to settle on the edge, breaking it.

Where is she? Is she here?

Stubbornly, the trees would not stop their questioning, building the tension in her muscles, making her jump at only breath like noises. She shook her head, her breath light in her chest, shallow breathing that made her legs weak.

Hearing a voice, she jumped and quickly tried to look calm, yet her eyes were overflowing with emotions. Cautiously, she used her voice, hoping it would work.

Hello there.

And work it did, even if it was small and quiet on the wind. Shifting into a friendly demeanor, she shoved her feelings down, hoping the dam would not break in front of this beautiful creature.
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
The woman seemed jumpy; this was immediately obvious to Olive. She was an intuitive creature and often took on other’s vibrations as her own, so when the gold-dusted shewolf spoke in a voice so small and a demeanor so unsure, Olive immediately felt a dropping sensation in her stomach. Perhaps danger was afoot — at least, that’s what her experiences told her. The sylph threw cursory glances about their forested milieu, but could not scry anything that demanded her immediate attention, so she swallowed thickly and resettled her emerald focus on the strange woman — it was a funny thing these days, to come across a wolf whom she was not already acquainted. Here, the past always seemed to catch up to her.

Although the other wolf tried to hide her surprise, Olive felt further explanation was needed. “Are you alright?” Olive questioned of the gilded woman, her voice holding an earnest, soft lilt. The lamb tried her best to reorganize her demeanor into something that spoke sister, you are safe with me — ears slicked back, concerned and her tail still, focused.  

112 Posts
Ooc — Marmoo
Are you alright?

The woman opened her mouth to answer and yet no words fell from her mouth as she blinked back tears, turning slightly away from the woman. Sighing, she hung her head and shook her head, suddenly tired. Tired of running, tired of searching, tired of being alone...yet again. Her voice portrayed her emotions as she spoke but one word in that moment.

No.

As it hung into the air, she sat down heavily in the snow. No fear rested on her face, only a determination that was waning and a deep sadness. No, she wasn't. She was far from it, yet the wreck of feelings in her was too tangled to unravel, making it difficult to explain. Steadily, she spoke.

No, I am not. Yet I cannot explain. I am a searcher. I think I will always be. Always have been, always will be.

Always have been...always will be.

The words struck her harder then she thought they would, and on the last word, her voice cracked in a soft cry of pain. Clamping her jaw shut, she shook her head, the movement only jumbling her thoughts more. She wouldn't break. She wouldn't. Her lungs yearned for fresh air, and she breathed in deeply then released the warm breath into the growing darkness. Speaking once more,she made her purpose known, voice carried over to the other as if the wind knew she was the one she was looking for.

I am looking for one called Olive. I am not sure if she could help or even if she would want to, yet she is the one I need to speak with.
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
The woman’s next actions did nothing to soothe Olive’s suspicions. Again Olive looked around, as if there might be an assailant nearest to them, for what else could shake this woman so? Though, Olive did feel guilty about being more concerned for her own welfare than she was truly empathetic to this stranger; but perhaps Olive had since learned better, and was not so immediately trusting of anyone she might meet on her travels. Even pack mates were met with a certain level of scrutiny, now. Indeed, there was good in everyone, but how fully developed was that good? In some, it was a conflagration; and in others, nothing more than smoldering embers. 

And when the woman elaborated, Olive was no closer to reaching the truth of the situation — but, somehow, she understood. The sylph, too, was a searcher: of knowledge, of love, of passion and of the small delights that come alongside a conscious life. It was a tough path, rife with lesson that the gods deemed necessary in order to further your story, and was oft a truly unfulfilling experience despite the appearance of peace. Though Olive wouldn’t blame her own melancholy entirely on her abilities to reach and overextend, it was not hard to face the fact that the benefits of living this life were few. Would she find true satisfaction, true happiness, in this life — or must she wait until the next?

Though the children in her belly were nothing more than small bundles of cells at that point, Olive could feel their presence and knew it was all for a reason. This golden woman, she must have a reason too; and, oh, what a reason it was! 

Olive was almost taken aback when the stranger spoke her name, for this was not a regular occurance. No one ever looked for her, no one ever needed her, she simply drifted in and out from people’s lives and they did not seem to think twice about it. What value could she possibly have to other people, when they constantly disposed of her when she was no longer needed? The sylph’s surprise easily turned to flattery and she danced eagerly forward. “Oh, then please do speak!” she chimed. “I am Olive. Who are you? Why do you need… me?”

112 Posts
Ooc — Marmoo
As the beautiful wolfess spoke, she froze, blinking. What was she going to say? Her breath quickened as she snapped her head towards her. Studying her for a fleeting moment, her heart broke again. What a trade. 

Hesitating, she wondered how she would explain why she was here. Her brows furrowed slightly, and she opened her mouth to speak. My name is Onyx. Onyx Saefyn. I am... She stopped, biting the inside of her lip. Mate? Companion? Friend? Shaking her head slightly, she tried another route.

I recently settled in this area, and my past has followed me. My long lost brother lives here and my...companion has sworn to protect me. The next part was painful. Almost too painful. Tears dripped onto the snow as she spoke again. I have put them all in danger. I don't want to, but I need to. They don't need my past haunting their future.

She looked at the woman again, almost a goddess and spoke, her voice broken yet determined. I need to...was needing...asking... She stumbled over her words, but then she let it flow. Dakarai is...was my companion. He's taken it into his own paws to make sure I'm safe. I'm leaving...to keep him...the man I love safe. My nightmares are my own. They don't need to be burdened.
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
The shrouded sylph listened to Onyx’s story, face stern. For many moments, Olive did not understand what this woman’s story had to do with her, but she listened earnestly anyways. Olive was a curious wolf, always would be, and her interest in the Onyx’s happenings ameliorated as she covered her various plights one by one. She had moved, found family, found a companion… but also found her past. There was indeed danger — her instincts had been correct! — but she had her protector, so where was her ultimate problem? Which thread was to be her undoing?

It was then that, from Onyx’s tongue, fell the name Olive least expected to hear. Suddenly, Olive understood the role she played in all of this — and the immediate emotion that stirred in her gut was sharp annoyance. Dakarai, stricken by another’s love. Dakarai, forever the hero. It didn’t make any sense, yet at the same time it made the most sense in the world. That was so something Dakarai would do. In reality, Olive had committed a similar act and now bore her consequences, for better or for worse; but the fact that Dakarai had [seemingly] pushed away another woman did not surprise her. 

Olive huffed, knowing that she must keep calm for the sake of the babies [that she was 95% certain were] in her belly.  The woman seemed frenzied, emotive — a little desperate. Olive knew the feeling well. In this situation, she must be the rock and mouthpiece of truth [perhaps this was her purpose now]. An uncharacteristically critical eye fell upon Onyx. Olive regarded her hotly, but not unkindly. “No,” came the sylph’s sage response. “By leaving, you are keeping yourself safe.” This woman, if she were truly Dakarai’s lover and not some cruel charlatan, needed to understand the reality of her situation. For a long time, Olive had disregarded the reality of hers because Dakarai’s love felt so good, and she paid her price dearly.

“— and that is a good thing.” Olive let her voice soften here, conveying intimacy between two women who were in, had been in, similar situations. “Dakarai is a not a man who can be relied upon.”        

112 Posts
Ooc — Marmoo
The woman huffed, and she furrowed her brows. What was she thinking? The conversation with Dakarai came back, and doubts crowded her mind yet again. She shouldn't have come to her. The way she had turned his children against him. Yet she pushed her emotions down yet again to hear what this woman had to say.

Speak she did. And at her words, she opened her mouth to speak. She wasn't protecting herself. She was putting herself straight into the path of danger. Yet the next words laced her with confusion. Why was it a good thing that this woman thought it was a good idea?

She widened her eyes as the sylph answered her unspoken question. Unreliable? Tilting her head, her voice was cautious as she let a question settle in the silence between them.

Why do you say unreliable?
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
Onyx seemed genuinely surprised at her sentiments, questioning her incredulously. Olive has plenty of words to explain why. She had examples too; stories, if Onyx wished to hear of them, though Olive suspected she would not. The throes of new love felt so divine that it could cloud even the clearest of minds, to dilute the sharpest of senses. Olive wanted to rub salt in the woman’s wounds as much as she desired to heal her every hurt. She would have to appeal to both desires. “I mean, if you like raising children on your own, then you have found good fortune!” She chimed, almost laughingly.

“That is Dakarai’s specialty — abandonment.”

Olive took a step forward, her slight frame alive and rife with indignation. “He will make you love him, make it so that you rely on him for everything, and it will feel very good and very wonderful… but, he will pull the rug right out from under you. Oh, this I can promise you!” The druid had a hard time explaining why she felt so poisonous towards the man she once loved — still loved — so Olive was quick to blame it upon the sudden realization of Dakarai’s romantic activities. In reality, perhaps her time alone had made her hard; bitter.

Jostling her shoulders, she hoped to shake the tension and bring some softness to her being. Drifting to the side of the golden girl, Olive brushed against her side and stood there, pressing against her, touching the woman rather intimately for a complete stranger.The druid had always felt kinship with other women, in a way that disregarded breed, status or past misgiving. Resisting the desire to kiss the woman’s cheek, Olive spoke gently. “But, you are in danger?” the fae questioned. “How can I be of aid to you, sister? I will do all I can to help. and if that meant get her away from Dakarai, or to abscond her away from her pursuant, then Olive would.

112 Posts
Ooc — Marmoo
Before she even spoke, the wolfess seemed...off? No, she didn't think so. Her emotions seemed to be mixed. She seemed bitter as she continued talking. Flicking her ears, the sunlit woman tilted her head and watched her almost sharply. She thought about how broken Dakarai was when he came back from Cass, and she wanted to hate this woman. The longing to be able to hate her burned her, and yet..

She couldn't. To do that would to hate herself. The beautiful wolfess was bitter, and she felt pity and empathy strike her heart. She had been through hell, it seemed to her, and yet she was trying to help her. Was she? Doubts nipped at her, but she pushed them back and tried to focus on the woman.

As the wolfess leaned slightly into her, she blinked at the odd intimate move. Her fur was like down, and she shook her head slightly. She knew she wasn't the prettiest, but this one made her feel like a weed beside a rose. But roses had their thorns, and she was no different. The bitterness she had clearly shown before was sharp, and she wondered how deep it went.

The sylph asked her a question, and she shook the thoughts from her brain and blinked. Hesitating, she spoke, her stance showing mixed feelings. Have you smelt a wolf scent the smells like fallen pine needles and burnt forest? And do know a place where I can rest without being bothered..not..woods. She hoped her emotions weren't clear on her as she looked around the forest, eyes wary.
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
Onyx did not seem comforted by Olive’s cosseting, but she did not shrink from her touch, so the sylph remained where she was but offered no further comforts. An abused woman was one who needed to be handled gently, not because she was broken, but because she was clearly in the healing process and Olive did not want to inhibit this. 

A question was asked of her, once that Olive did not know the answer to. She had not come across another for some time, if she did not count her nameless lover in the forest — oh, but he counted very much! A simpering smirk painted upon her maw, Olive shook her head. “No, I am sorry, I haven’t — but I suppose this is a good thing.” Then, coming back to the gravity of the situation, Olive turned to face Onyx and held her gaze sternly. 

“If you are truly in danger, then the safest place is likely by Dakarai’s side, although I loathe to admit it.” she spoke seriously, wanting the woman to be safe more than she wanted not to send her back into the ever-loving arms of her ex-husband.  “He is all too happy to die protecting the women he loves.” Her mind spoke he will always be mine, but this sentiments left no trace in her tone of demeanor.