Redhawk Caldera Five little ducks went out to play
112 Posts
Ooc — Kim
All Welcome 
*gently brushes the dust off of Orca*

Orca picked her way carefully through the fog that had descended around the caldera, noting that it was particularly thick near the top of the inactive volcano. It was likely that the mist would burn off as the day wore on, but for now, she felt like she was shrouded in morning's mystery as she slowly wove up the slope.

There was a crust of snow on the ground that had stubbornly refused to melt just yet, and it crunched lightly beneath her paws as she neared the hollowed-out peak. She paused on a ridge and turned back to look out over the territory, finding that she was unable to see much of anything due to the fog. It was interesting, but also a little creepy.

With a huff that sent her breath adrift in a cloud, she moved towards the water's edge, planning to relax for a short while until the mist disappeared and she was able to do something more productive.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The thick fog made patrolling impossible, especially given Towhee's inability to hear anything. Feeling restless, she climbed up toward the lake, taking a drink before flopping on the bank. She would wait for the sun to burn off the mist. In the meantime, she let her chin fall to her paws. She let out a gusty sigh—leathery lips flapping comically—and eventually let her eyes drift shut.

She woke to a feather tickling her nose. Towhee wriggled it as she rapidly lifted her head. "What's it?" she slurred blearily to X, gazing over his golden head to her sister's familiar figure approaching the caldera. "Oh hey, Orca-aaaaa," the Alpha said, her greeting rudely interrupted by an intense yawn.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
112 Posts
Ooc — Kim
She hadn't seen or smelled her sister, so when she heard Towhee's flat voice, she looked up sharply and peered through the fog. She adjusted her direction, heading toward the source of the sound, and after a few steps Towhee's dark figure came into view. Perched next to the yawning Alpha female was X, who Orca thought of as an extension of their family. Other members of the pack thought it was a little odd that Towhee had adopted the bird, but Orca had accepted him quickly.

"Hey Towhee, hey X," she said, grinning at her sibling and her winged companion. "Taking a power nap?" she asked as she lowered herself to her haunches, curling her black-and-white tail primly around her paws.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The Alpha grinned at her sister's quip, pushing upright into a seated position as Orca came closer. "Something like that," she agreed. "It's really difficult for me to get anything done in this," she added, sweeping a foreleg at the surrounding fog. "It's like being deaf and partially blind, to boot. No good." Her streaked shoulders lifted and fell in a shrug. "So I'm waiting for it to clear."

Her attention was stolen by X, who had hopped nearer to Orca and squatted on her forepaws like a brooding hen. Towhee chuffed a laugh. She was pretty sure the raptor felt more welcomed by Orca than anyone else in the pack (barring Towhee herself) and was simply trying to reciprocate by treating the Theta's toes like a clutch of eggs to keep warm.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
112 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Orca nodded in agreement. Although she didn't have the same hearing impairment as her sister, she found the fog to be troublesome, as well. It dulled all of her senses, and she imagined that it was even more frustrating for Towhee, since she was already deaf. "Me too," she said, her gaze dropping from Towhee's face as she spoke to watch X move toward her.

The bird wasted no time in making himself at home on Orca's front feet, and she gave a little giggle. His talons pressed against her toes and tail with a little more force than a tickle, but not enough to cause her any pain. "I think he likes me," she laughed, stating the obvious as the bird shifted and ruffled the feathers of one wing with his beak before settling once more.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
When Orca mentioned the apparently mutual affinity aloud, Towhee replied, "Yeah, well, he's mine so you're gonna have to find your own." She was only kidding, of course. For one thing, X didn't belong to her. He wasn't her pet, nor her possession; he was a free agent, here by his own choice. For another, she didn't mind sharing his company with her sister in the least. Their relationship gladdened her, actually.

Giving the hawk a wink, Towhee drew in a deep breath and glanced around at the persistently thick fog before returning her attention to Orca. "I'm bored," she declared. "Entertain me, peon." She waved a paw in the air, smirking at her sibling. This was another joke, of course; they both knew that, despite her stoic and hotheaded nature, Towhee was not one for lording over her loved ones.

112 Posts
Ooc — Kim
"Maybe I will find my own," Orca teased right back, grinning at her sister over X's feathered head. There was a moment of companionable silence, then Towhee commanded her sibling and subordinate to provide her with entertainment. Even if Towhee had been serious, Orca wouldn't have been offended; if she was anything, she was easy-going. But she recognized the intended playfulness in her littermate's flat voice, and hummed thoughtfully in response.

After brief consideration, she suggested, "Why don't we teach X a game? Maybe something like hide and seek?" The decreased visibility would certainly make it an interesting experience.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Orca proposed a game of hide-and-seek, which earned a raised eyebrow from her sister. "Go for it," she invited, "but I'm gonna opt out on account of being disabled." And because this was one of those very rare occasions where Towhee was happy for an excuse to be lazy, take a break and do a whole lot of nothing.

"How about," Towhee proposed in the next breath, "you seek out a girlfriend for X? She can be your companion, plus they can make a bunch more: one for everybody in the pack." She grinned at the bird, whose head cocked as if musing over this idea.

112 Posts
Ooc — Kim
Hope it's okay if I fade this, since it's a little old and we don't even live here anymore. :P

Towhee turned down her suggestion, but Orca wasn't phased. She shrugged her shoulders, then tilted her head to one side as her sister made a different suggestion. "You want a girlfriend, X?" she asked the bird, and laughed out loud as the bird made a movement of his head that could have resembled a nod, complete with a clacking of his beak.

"Alright. As soon as the fog lifts, I'll start the search, buddy," she said. "But for now, let's just relax." And until the mist evaporated, the siblings spent a rare lazy morning together doing a whole lot of nothing, except for chit-chatting.