Shimmering Sands for the man that rolls the dice
248 Posts
Ooc — thalia
Private 

waves crashed against the surf, and the sheepdog stood framed against them. it'd been a week since she'd left easthollow, left behind the bones of murdock that she imagined faded beneath the earth like the bones of any carcass. but perhaps they wouldn't, not beneath the standing stones, where he'd come to rest. perhaps he'd lie preserved forever. 

it was these thoughts that plagued her, had her ignore the forgein scent that seemed to come from her, in leiu of her current task. after howling her departure to @Valette, she'd made her way to the coast, determined to find her second closest friend in this place. the darkest part of her whispered that the woman would be glad to be rid of her, the new bit that spoke up every now and then. she knew that newly-emerged bit was full of lies and bad thoughts, and yet she could do little to ignore it. 

head downcast, she moved towards the dark cluster of rock on the horizon, remembering her earlier promise to visit for the first time this place with murdock. now, she was alone.
Adopt my pups!               
[Image: SXBUara.jpg]
735 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Engelhard headed out, heading a bit west this time. Like he had said he would do. He had gotten quite a bit far as well, seeing more and more of the shore. He hummed out the song that was about 'walking five hundred miles', one of his best before a faint scent hit him. It was...familiar...yet it confused him why it was out here.

He went into a gallop to find that yes indeed! Poppy was here! But then...why was she so far out? He caught the faint scent of something else as well, but did not place it right away. "Poppy! Poppy!" He ran over, and embraced her in a wolf like hug. "What are you doing so far from home?"
All of Engel's threads are always open! For better or for worse.
248 Posts
Ooc — thalia

and there he was, moving across the strand at breakneck pace toward her. she paused, pushing away the terrible news. it seemed so wrong to say it, suddenly, to break the happiness - at least, the pure happiness he must feel - at their reunion. "I thought I'd come see the beach - and you, too." it'd been a while since she'd seen her friend, but how she wished she might have seen him with Murdock at her side.

Adopt my pups!               
735 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Engel smiled back to her, he felt his heart soothed by her voice and reasoning for coming out this far. "I'm glad to see you too, Poppy." She was so sweet and adorable...and taken, from their last meeting. "But you shouldn't be out here so far, all alone. It isn't safe...let me take you back home, okay?" He wanted to get her somewhere safe.
248 Posts
Ooc — thalia

"no," came her reply at once when he asked to bring her home.  "murdock's dead" and "I can't go back, not ever." died on her tongue, and instead she answered only,  "it's sweet of you engel, but I came all the way out here -" she needed to tell him, it was much of the reason she'd looked for him. but she couldn't couldn't see his face twist with pity and mourning. not like all the rest. "do you have any of those seeds, maybe?" 

Adopt my pups!               
735 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Engel stopped. She...did not want to go back? He thought why Poppy would not want to...was someone hurting her? Giving her a bad time? Or maybe just spend time with him. "Well I am always sweet to woman. A gentleman must be" he said with a small grin. He started off to at least find somewhere safe to stop by, when she spoke. 

"S...Seeds?" He feigned hesitation, but he knew exactly what she meant. "Are...Are you sure you want them?" Sure last time had been fun, but there was no telling what would happen this time.
248 Posts
Ooc — thalia

"yeah," she agreed softly, yet firmly, sure in what she wanted. "they were fun, last time."  she shifted, looking to him hopefully. she was somewhat desperate, now, to gain the same freedom she'd felt the first time, the softness that the poppy painted the world in. everything now was too harsh and too bleak, and she needed the tiny black distractions that Engel offered.

Adopt my pups!               
735 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Engel still was not sure about this. But...if that was what the lady wished for, then..."Very well, dear...If it's what you want." So he continued walking off, but this time to find more of those flowers. He gestured for the sweet and adorable Poppy to follow him, and soon he came across some. 

He did the same as he did before, carefully gripping the poppy flower then shaking it to get the seeds off into the sand. "Remember what I said...not too many." After he said that, he went to take one...and took two, just like last time.
248 Posts
Ooc — thalia

he found one of the flowers soon enough, shaking the seeds into the sand. for a moment, she watched them - it seemed almost wrong, to take them not for enjoyment or experiment, but instead to soften out all the harshness. briefly, she wavered, until moving carefully to pick at the seeds, moving to take more than she had the first time - three seemed ample amount. 

for a moment after they disappeared down her gullet, she waited, wishing for the grief to simply disappear. it did not - rather, something seemed to fog it, something heavy fall over her mind. perhaps she ought to feel disappointed the drugs did not eradicate the emotion, and yet disappointment was not something she could feel right now. perhaps - she ought to move. without word, dopey smile on her face that contrasted the keening, ever-present weight in her chest, she skittered off nearer the water. the scent that came from her now seemed of little importance, and so she pushed the thought away.

Adopt my pups!               
735 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Engel kept his eyes to her, worrying. He had not noticed just how much she had taken. Poppy eventually got that dopey look and started moving off. He followed, starting to feel doped as well. The waves, they looked so weird now. And the sand felt odd, he stumbled about. 

"He he, Poppyyyy, where you goin?" he asked over to her, feeling pretty up there now. He tripped over, giggling a little crazy.
248 Posts
Ooc — thalia

the sand sucked at her toes, and for a moment she gasped when suddenly the sand pulled her twiggy hocks beneath the earth. but a moment of doe-eyed staring later, she realized that she stood in the surf, and for the first time salt water splashed up against her fur. she giggled, light and airy, the first such sound she'd made in a long while. 

here set in the lightness that she had been yearning for, settled heavy in her mind. smiling, she twirled messily and tramped back towards Engel, aiming a clumsy, half-drowsy lunge at him. something too had changed about the scent that emanated from her, and without the hurt feeling quite as heavy, she felt for the first time for firey energy; the same kind that had propelled her out of the territory in the weeks past.

Adopt my pups!               
735 Posts
Ooc — Cody
He watched from his grounded state as Poppy lunged for him. She landed on him, and he made an 'oof' sound as she did. He huffed, and laughed after. "You...you're great Poopy. Grrreat friend, you are." He tried to get up, and just flopped down again against the sandy ground. 

Then he noticed something. About the scent...it earned a certain tingle down below. "P-Poppy, you...you smell lovely, right now...what's that smell you have?"
248 Posts
Ooc — thalia

she attempted to clamber off him, but atop the sandy earth and under the haze of the drugs, setting in quickly now, she succeeded only in squirming her way away from him in the manner of a thin, leggy seal. "don't know,"  she mumbled in response to his question, something distracting from the sudden ease she found herself in, though she could not tell, exactly, what. 

picking herself up, she moved back over to him, pushing her muzzle somewhere along the red body and inhaling. "you smell gross. like - salt. and dead things." on a whim, she poked her tongue out, tasting salt. withdrawing with a wrinkled nose, she huffed, evidently disliking everything about the sea she'd just wandered into.

Adopt my pups!               
735 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Engel sighed with relief as she got off him. Then glared over at her and her remark. "I take o...offense to that, missy Poppy." He stood, only to end up leaning one way, more specifically her way and almost tumbling into her. He gave a sheepish smile at that, shaking his head after. "You-You're too sweettt Poppy" he said, going to boop her nose with his own but no doubt missing and then giggling about it.
248 Posts
Ooc — thalia

she blinked blearily at her friend, wishing she could sink so totally into the drugs as he had. but the sharp edge of grief and wrongness continuously tore through her attempts, and she yearned not just for relief from its hurt, but too for the warmth and closeness that had faded from her life with the passing of her guardian and love. 

she shuffled back towards him, pushing up beside him and willing herself to find the same comfort that she had in Murdock. "missed you, Engel." she admitted then, words slurred.

Adopt my pups!               
735 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Engel, through the seeds effects was still rather surprised by this, how she came up so close to him. Cuddled up to him. He breathed deeply into her fur then, even though she had Murdock or at least that's what he still believed. But the seeds were getting in his mind's way. "I missed you too, Poppy..."
248 Posts
Ooc — thalia

she could almost imagine the red was a deep chocolate, that the thinness and smallness of him was big and bulky. if she didn't look at his face, she could too imagine, in her mind's eye, the bi-toned eyes that brought her such comfort. it was with illusions of a dead man that she leaned easily against Engel, finding for the first time some solace from the knife's edge as she drifted then into sleep.

Adopt my pups!               
735 Posts
Ooc — Cody
Engel stood still as she leaned up against him. But he did not feel awkward. Had he taken no seeds, he would have felt this was wrong. But he didn't, even though this was the mate of a friend. Soon, she fell asleep. And all he could do was admire how she looked, looking ever so peaceful.