Honeyed Pasture but you should know by now, my heart is in your teeth
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
Backdated! @Dirge is welcome to pop in at any point. Sisters welcome too, if they'd be this far out! Maybe an Ironsea woof? She's closer to the coast than she is inland!

Her long-legged strides took her around The Sentinels, and now she moved across open land. Her eyes fell upon the Great Waters in the distance, and her tail waved—her trajectory adjusted so that she could be nearer still to the waters, though she did not yet cross the invisible boundary that separated the Coast and Great Bear Wilderness, something she was not cognizant of. If anything, she walked just on the cusp of it. With no obstacle but the melting snow in her path—

Hydra paused. Something about this coastline in particular seemed quite familiar to her. Deja vu struck her, but she could not place it—in the distance was Stavanger Bay, a place her father had taken she and her sisters to when she was very young. A place he had once claimed as his.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
being vague on where this is in her timeline!

Roz was beginning to make a habit of wandering the lands around the bay, both for exploratory purposes and for the sake of some semblance of watchfulness.  While she didn't get the feeling they were to be particularly aggressive to those nearby, she figured they shouldn't sit completely idle either... show this patch of land wasn't for loitering too long less others wanted to sign on.

Normally, these forays went by uneventfully; so much so that she'd considered bringing company a few times.  But this time, company presented itself, just when she was wondering if she shouldn't have asked a friend.... of which she had one sure, maybe two or three.

The stranger was lean and dark, female, and seemed friendly as one could be at a glance.  

"Lo!  Just taking in the sights?" Rosalyn called, cutting straight to the chase.  Who she was mattered less than why she was there.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra saw the other approach from a distance, given the open lands they both moved through. Hydra recalled Dune had mentioned there was a pack on the coast, now, and she kept that in mind as the other approached. Hydra was not near enough to the packlands to be a threatening presence by any means, but perhaps some might think she was close enough to warrant meeting. Really, she couldn't begrudge anyone that thought or feeling. Not when she could understand.

Her own demeanor remained relaxed, and when the other well-groomed woman approached Hydra observed that off the cuff they seemed to be friendly themselves. Her tail swayed between her hocks, and she nodded. Yes, just passing through, she informed the other, yawning to display she was harmless and did not intend to encroach on the others packlands. Hydra's ear flicked atop her head as she added, I had heard there was a pack that had recently settled here. What's life like, on the coast? She inquired, interested to know.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
What's life like on the coast? Wasn't that a question.  "What's life anywhere like?" She asked back, entertained by the notion of the inquiry.  "We do what we want, same here as anywhere else, cept with more water to swim in."  Her head tilted a bit as she took a closer look.  "What's life like where you're from?"  She didn't really care overly much, but she didn't have anywhere else to be, and the question amused her.  She wanted to see what the other had hoped to gain from it.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The others lack of legitimate answer caused Hydra to wonder if she had asked her question the wrong way. Hydra gazed at the waters in the distance, which even from here could be heard. Quieter, she stated, an ear flicking; less sand getting on and in between everything, she continued. It was why she erred on the opposite side of the coast; the feeling of sand was strange, but she reckoned she would get used to it.

Hydra took a casual step toward Rosalyn, though still kept a respectable distance between them. Her paw pressed against the sand she had been considering when it slipped forward. It did not seem like the most stable landscape, but this she only thought about from the standpoint of her trade. Have you been a wolf of the coast your entire life? She asked next, curious—moreso due to her interest in the differences of fighting on these lands and, well, any other. If she could learn new things on the coast, she wished to do so.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Rosalyn snickered quietly at her description and relaxed a little further, noting that she seemed to simply be a curious tourist visiting their shores.  "Your right about that.  Careful how you sit down," she said, smirking at the rather apt conclusion.  "Aye, I've run the sand since I was a thought.  The southern shores are warmer, but the wolves there tend to be less friendly."  Some here weren't, but as a whole, her luck had been far better these parts.  "This your first time?" She asked, indicating the waves in the distance over her shoulder.  The woman was young, but not so much as to seem more child than adult.  Likely she'd seen some sights so far.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She took the others words to heart—each of them. She was no stranger to the unsavory and blatantly rude sort, having dealt with a select few of them and putting each of them in their rightful place, but it was good to know that more were about. The others inquiry was initially responded with a shake of her head, and in her next breath she expressed, I was shown the coast once, when I was young. Though this may as well be the first time... I do not remember much from my first trip, except for the water that looked to be without end, and she gestured then to the horizon behind Rosalyn, where the ocean was.

Hydra took some more steps onto the sandy terrain, though did not draw nearer to Rosalyn in the process as she did not wish to cause alarm. Circling in place to face her, Hydra asked, do you have much experience, sparring on stable ground? She wanted to know the difference between fighting on such earth. If Rosalyn did not, she still would have the upper hand in a spar being that they were on her territory, so to speak. I'd love to spar on the sand—I just wonder the differences between fighting on this, she gestured to the sand, as opposed to that, her foreleg moved toward the place she had previously stood. She looked to Rosalyn with an impish expression, though her demeanor was far from unfriendly. No, her bearing seemed to suggest: only one way for me to find out, so long as the other was game.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Well, the water was what made it a beach, so fairly memorable.  She didn't comment on that, though it tickled her sense of humor in a somewhat snarky way.  As usual.

"Some," she responded, eyeing the woman with renewed interest.  She was on guard, but she didn't mind the sound of a spar with a stranger.  She could always use the practice, but her style wasn't exactly orthodox.  She wondered if the other would expect the fight to be fair and clean.  If it didn't get too heated, she supposed she could play nice.

"It's definitely harder to move and anticipate."  The sand shifted beneath your paws in unusual ways at times, and lunging both held less power and more uncertainty in landing.  "Unless you find a nice packed spot."  She have a questioning look... was she implying they should?
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Though she was, typically, a clean fighter, she knew how to play and fight dirty. She had done so with Drogon, and learned some from him, too. And she was no stranger to playing rough with her sisters—they imagined dozens of scenarios together, and played them out savagely. It was under Hydra's direction they did so. She wanted to always be prepared, and she wanted them to be, too.

The questioning look from Rosalyn caused Hydra to slip into a play bow. She was game to romp with the ruddy stranger, and she rose back to her full height and moved further onto the sand and awaited a cue that Rosalyn was game, herself.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Alright, so she did want to fight.  She had no idea what her opponent's strengths or experience were like, but she was definitely larger and definitely younger.  Both things that could be downfalls or assets depending on her practice.

Rosalyn's gaze grew piercing as she eyed her, and she dropped low as well, a meeting of the challenge.  Alright then, this should be interesting at the very least.  Guessing her advantage would lie in the unexpected, she lunged in right off the bat, aiming her body and legs at Hydra's to try and throw her off balance.

They continued to spar, back and forth, and by the time they finished Rosalyn was beat.  Exhilarated! But beat.  If the girl ever stopped by the coast again, perhaps they could spar on the sand as she wished.  She said as much as they parted ways, and watched the shadow disappear before doing so herself, back to the strand.