Greatwater Lake Knock em down, strip em back boys
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
All Welcome 
The lake was undisturbed, serene and clear on this beautiful, if chilled, day. Only the birds on its surface and in the air marred the scene... they and a single bedraggled form, washed up to shore and coated in so much dirt he was nearly unrecognizable. He gave no sign of movement, and had been there for a time, so long that the birds had since lost interest in the oddity. Part of the scenery now.

Almost he could have been dead - but there it was, a slight rise and fall. This breath the only sign of life from the wolf who had been lucky enough to survive his plunge through the teekon's rivers.

full disclosure - I keep trying to kill off characters but the dice won't let me. Rolled a 16 :') I'm too good at dnd guys
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
(Most thread titles come from Into the Fire from the Scarlet Pimpernel)
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She had informed her father she would be looking for Gannet—she knew, beyond any benefit of a doubt, of all the wolves that would not leave Moonspear, it would be him. Amazing how the circumstances had lead her to believe such, to believe in him, but there it was. She would return—but she needed to find some sort of sign. Something. 

But there never was. 

Still Hydra did not give up. He was not a deserter. He couldn't be. Hydra was diligent in her tracking, slow—it was this pace that allowed her to come upon him when she did. And she did not recognize him; if it were not for the rise and fall, she would have let the thing have been perceived to be a rock. But in seeing its movement, Hydra slowly darted in its direction. 

A cursory sniff told her all she needed to know. A heavy exhale of relief was given as she breathed his name. Gannet, but he was unresponsive. Hydra moved into the lake, ankle-deep, and thought of how best to rouse him. She loosed several loud barks, taking some steps backward so as to not cause him too much alarm. Hydra hadn't the faintest idea of what would and would not work here, but he was alive—something had to give.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
When the water had taken him under, his first thought had been the mountain and his, once again, he'd gotten himself into trouble. The first had been the snowstorm in the Caldera... nothing had been right after that. And now this. He hadn't really considered dying. Dying wasn't really something he could consider, not until the water had completely encompassed his senses.

He'd fought, though, and apparently won. The river had taken him downstream, to spots only patched with ice, and he had had the fortune to break through. He'd only managed to drag himself to the bank of the lake, however, before collapsing, half drowned and exhausted.

Hydra's barks at first didn't register. But he sensed a presence, and the recent danger and adrenaline spiked his instincts. He came to with a shudder, hacking up water and shifting away from her, unsure of anything at the moment.
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He stirred, which had been her sole goal to start with. He was alive, and his instincts were intact. But she did not yet allow herself to feel relieved. Gannet, she breathed in between his hacking up water. What can I do? she asked next. She was no medic, but he would know the way his body felt. Did he need rest? Did he need her nearness to warm him, from the frigid waters? She took a single step toward him with that thought in mind, but still gave him space. Lyra had told her all about disorient, and she did not want to feel his fangs due to it.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
It felt like he'd swallowed the whole river, and his throat was on fire by the time he finished. For a minute he just breathed, having a hard enough time of that, but then his head shot up as he remembered someone was there. Someone who had spoken.

At first he was too disoriented to know who it was, but as he realized, he felt relief sweep over him, and his tensed muscles loosened. "Hy?" He asked, the word coming out harsh on his ears. He was a shaking mess, muddy and waterlogged and a little frozen, but somehow he was still alive, and had a friend here. How did she find him? Better yet, did she know what happened?

He wanted to ask, but he couldn't put the words together just yet. Instead he melted against the ground, taking a bewildered minute to catch up.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
When he said her name, she drew closer and said, yes, despite detesting the nickname. Gannet was tired; she could allow it for him this once. He was coming to, and shaking; she stepped over him to lay down behind him and offer him warmth. What happened? Hydra asked next. She could not see Gannet waltzing onto unstable ice in his improving health, but then, what else could explain it? The river could not have taken him unless he fell through its icy cracks, and as she looked to the waters he had been expelled from she noted the many breaks in the ice. He had been fortunate to find one.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She came closer and he huddled gratefully, though he gathered himself enough in a moment to realize what kind of state he was currently in and to feel badly that she'd likely end up muddy for the assistance. He just appreciated it too much to protest.

He frowned as he tried to remember. "The ice broke," he said slowly, at least clearly remembering that. But it hadn't seemed unsafe when he had gone out, and something bothered him. Another there, but one who he hadn't seen. He couldn't be positive. "I think someone saw, was there," he finished, this last more hesitant and questioning. He remembered glimpsing someone, and finding it odd, but then water had consumed his everything.

I thought I was done, he thought wordlessly, not feeling the need to voice it but feeling it profoundly. He had never come that close to death, not even the previous winter, and it both literally and figuratively chilled him. His ears tipped back and he glanced at Hydra again. "Are they mad?" He asked, unsure how long he'd been gone and how the pack felt about it. He hadn't even been positive on how far he was welcome outside of bounds... how far he was trusted. He hoped he hadn't undone anything.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra listened to him, and as he articulated, Hydra felt the furs along her nape lift. You wouldn't go out on ice that couldn't support your weight, she rejoined knowingly. Gannet was an instinctual wolf and had learned from one mistake of not abiding by them (she perceived and believed). Did... do you think they broke it? She needn't ask, but there was a part of her that needed to hear it. Who could it have been? She had one enemy of her own, but would they do that? This was his brother... 

She pushed him from her mind. He knew better than to come near Moonspear. This had to of been someone else. But why? Maybe they thought it could support their weight... could it have been a young wolf? She did not want to believe that any wolf would just do that without reason. It did not make sense for the Redhawks to do, and though she knew the screeching wolf to be an utter coward, she refused to believe he had been in the area again. 

Hydra shook her head. Concerned. I was looking for you. I knew something had to of happened, she breathed, shaking her head, I just knew it. She grit her teeth as she looked him over. Can you move? She wondered aloud, hoping the worst of the damage was his exhaustion.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He agreed, but then, everyone made mistakes. Still... he hadn't thought the ice dangerous. And something about it bothered him too. "I didn't see," he said, somewhat apologetic. It had been too much and his mind couldn't make sense of anything but the danger he'd been in. If he'd known what she was thinking, he might have found it funny; Tit, try to drown him? That was worse than Galaxy. But he had no way of knowing where her thoughts were, and had more than enough of his own anyway. The second option she posed seemed more likely, but he couldn't confirm or deny either.

He was glad and impressed she had found him. He had no idea where they were right now, he just now realized, and glanced about curiously, a bit more alert now that he was calming down. Still freezing and still tired, but level. "Where are we?" He asked as he began to struggle to rise, his legs shaking with the effort but holding. He would be slow, and might need an assist, but he'd manage.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He hadn't seen, which she had imagined to be the case. A soft sniff revealed nothing, as she knew it would; the water had cleaned him thoroughly, and none had even touched him. His inquiry was a good one, and Hydra said, not too far from Moonspear, though it's not very close, either. When he began to rise, Hydra did so as well, moving as slowly as he should he need the support of her more stable form. We'll get there when we get there. Don't hurt yourself, she hummed, knowing Gannet was a wolf whose mental strength she imagined was unmatched. Still, she did not want him to press himself and bring about any injuries in the process.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He nodded at her warning, but took a brief moment to press his forehead to her shoulder, if she allowed it. "Thanks," he said, and while that was all he said, there was quite a bit behind him. Both times he had disappeared from the Caldera, he had not heard of any search. They had good reason not to; once had been the midst of a blizzard, the second he'd been traveling. But she had pretty good reason not to also, and the fact that she had meant a hell of a lot.

He let her set the pace and would keep up as well as he could, though he'd let her know if he tired. He was fairly exhausted, but eager to be back, and he knew he'd rest better with the mountain overhead.

we can fade or keep going, I don't mind either way!