Dawnlark Plains Threeskin
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Private 
It was another fine, chilly evening on the plains. Grayday likes how the sun went down slowly in this area, falling on the stark landscape just so. It seemed to tale eons for darkness to claim the land, which mean his eyes worked far better and far longer here than they had on the shaded plateau. He did miss the sense of safety the place had provided, but there was no point in dwelling on that when they had a perfectly good territory right here.

Grayday laid near Catori's den, enjoying the twilight and mulling over the familiar scent that had begun to sprout up in odd places. One of the women in their pack was about to go into a late heat - Grayday hoped he was right about who it was, and just what she would do about it.

For now, though, there was nothing to do but relax and enjoy the cool, alpine air.

[Image: CYEyvJP.png?4]
What's Mine is Ours
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Pups had come to Morningside, a strong healthy litter of three. The anxious father in Shale wanted to glue himself to the den, but he knew it wasn't his place--Catori was a fierce protector, as befit the best of mothers, and Grayday was their father, anyhow. Still, he was excited for their emergence into the world, and looked forward to settling further into his role as doting uncle.

He came a little closer to the den than usual tonight, and there he found Grayday, in repose. His brother looked healthy and happy, and a smile came to his face as he approached, giving a gentle noise to let Day know he was coming before settling down beside him.

"How are the kids?" Shale murmured, the chilly night breeze stirring his pelt.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Ah - speak of the devil! Grayday grinned as Shale approached, his blind, blunt head swinging toward his littermate in welcome. "They're well. Cat's got 'em all fat and happy," he shared, reaching out to grab some part of Shale between his teeth with a playful growl. He gave a gentle shake of his head, trying to incite some play, but honestly he was prepared for Shale to disengage and be the boring old lump he was.

"And how are you?" he asked, shooting a knowing look in the other male's direction. "Anything you wanna share? Get of your chest?" God, Grayday hoped so. If it was Pema going into heat, she didn't have a lot of choices. It was Shale, Sylvas, or some loser they had never met. And Grayday didn't think she was interested in Sylvas, as good a man as he was.
What's Mine is Ours
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He grinned wider as Grayday nipped at him, wagging his tail in response, but--correctly assumed by his brother--did no more than that, having not been in the mood to play ever lately. Shale was happy to hear that the pups were well; anything less would have set him on edge. As it was, there was nothing to fear.

His smile faded as Day leered at him, and he looked away, knowing that his brother was giving him a hard time about Pema. Again. Resisting the urge to lash out, he instead rolled his shoulders in a shrug, answering laconically, "Nah. Just been keeping busy. You know me."

Unlike Grayday, Shale hadn't caught the scent--he'd stayed far enough away from the medic that not a whiff of it had reached his nostrils. Probably for the better.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday huffed, but there was no heat behind the sound. Typical Shale - it wasn't how Grayday remembered him, but it was what he was accustomed to, now. "Pema's cycle is about to begin," Grayday said bluntly, abandoning his quest to nettle at Shale but unable to keep quiet about this either way. It was exciting! "We're going to need extra eyes on the borders. I'm not sure what her plan is, but regardless, I don't want anyone just walking into the territory unannounced."

It seemed like he wouldn't share any blood with this litter, but he was determined to be there for them all the same. He felt that he and Pema were inexorably linked by their children - in a way that was a lot like siblinghood, but Grayday didn't consider it such. All he could hope for now was that Pema would find someone who would be respectful of her wishes, and whose strong genes would help give his pseudo-nieces and -nephews the best possible chance.
What's Mine is Ours
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He flicked an ear at Grayday's remark, keeping his face blandly neutral. Of course, it was only right that Pema should go into her first heat soon. She was of that age, after all. Still, emotions trickled one-by-one through his blood: an icy surge of something like regret, chased by red-hot jealousy and possession.

It was best that he hadn't been around her.

"Of course," Shale said, his voice half-mutter as he struggled to master his feelings on the matter. "I'll keep an eye out on all fronts." To the south were the mountain packs, west the coastal; at least, that was as well as Shale understood this new map. He felt as if he didn't have to worry oever Easthollow. . .but you never knew.

It wasn't as if he were leaping to the challenge on account of altruism. Shale loved his pack, but he didn't necessarily go above and beyond. No, the man, for all his goodness, had no small measure of greed within, and this greed is what spurred him to action. If he wouldn't have her, no one would.

And yeah, he supposed he was being selfish. But the wounded worst part of him didn't give a shit.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
"But don't chase them off," Grayday stressed. "Not unless they're weak being rude. Okay?" Honestly, the male was not certain he could trust his brother with this job. Perhaps pairing him with another would be the best course of action.

Whatever. He should probably ask Pema about her plans before considering it any further.

"What have you been up to?" asked Grayday, wanting to change the subject afterall. Pema's fertility apparently didn't excite him the way it excited Grayday. "Make any new friends?"
What's Mine is Ours
i want more berries, and that warm summer feeling
104 Posts
Ooc — (✿ ͡◕ ᴗ◕)つ━━✫・*。

cameo!  don't wait up for me.

kasatka was just a baby and unaware of the tension that sparked between the sameth brothers — all she knew was that she smelled daddy outside, and that he was warm and sometimes he brought the sensation of tickling to her toe-beans.

she gave one wailing squeal and then quieted down, drifting back off into newborn slumber.

Didn't have a dime but I always had a vision
Always had high, high hopes
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He let out a ragged sigh in response to Grayday's command, merely nodding in a brutish way, his eyes dark and moody. His brother knew him better than almost anyone, even after years apart. Then again, perhaps his mannerisms and tone of voice were more revealing than he intended. Either way, he knew Day was onto him, and he was grateful when the subject was changed.

Shale opened his mouth to answer but was cut off by the squall of a young babe, which faded soon after as it--presumably--went back to sleeping, or eating, or. . .well, that was pretty much it, with children. The sound sent a curious sensation through him: his heart throbbed, and so too did his--

God, he wanted children again. Despite everything that could go wrong.

"A few," he responded, still distracted by the homely sounds of mother and babes in the den. "I spoke to Aviana for the first time. She seems well, though she didn't seem too fond of the new territory. She's not alone, either." His mouth firmed in a frown; he knew he'd eventually have to let his brother know that there was discontent with Dawnlark Plains.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday frowned, at this. He liked Aviana and wanted her to be comfortable with the pack, especially since she had stuck around longer than Grayday had expected. To hear that others were discontented as well was just the icing on the cake.

"Maybe we should move earlier this autumn. And maybe we can move the dens into the Maplewood instead of being here on the plains. It'll be a pain, but it must be a bit jarring to come to the plains after being on the Plateau so long," he said with a little sigh, clearly worried about this new development. He'd run it by Catori and Pema before he made any decisions, but it was clear that something needed to be done.
What's Mine is Ours
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
It was a solid decision, but Shale couldn't help feeling guilty, having brought up the issue in the first place. Day was basically blind; he wasn't a fan of the idea of his brother running into trees left and right, and Easy, who usually guided him around, was gods knew where. The plains suited his brother much better than the winding, tree-laden paths of the maplewood.

"Are you sure, Grayday?" Shale asked, voice gentle. "Maybe it's just growing pains. . .maybe people will get used to the plains with time." There was a little selfishness in his argument; he preferred the plains to the trees, and he figured others did as well. The pack was at a crossroads.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday's ears flickered in indecision. He wasn't sure what the best course of action would be, but, "Well, it's something to think about either way," he said to his brother, trying his best to ease his worries. It was odd to be worried after by the other male after so long thinking of him only distantly - Grayday wasn't sure what to make of the attention.

But he had other things to think about as well, such as the little voices babbling from the den, and the daughter that had departed from him more than a week ago. "Will you try to find out more about it? What kind of territory do you think would please everyone?"
What's Mine is Ours
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Ever the good lieutenant, Shale nodded, eyes fixed firmly on his brother's face. "Of course. I'll do that. Maybe we need to get everyone together, soon, too," he suggested. "Discuss. Let everyone have a chance to share their thoughts."

It would mean he'd have to face Pema again shortly, and in the midst of her heat--damn it. But the well-being of the pack was of the utmost importance, and before they made any big decisions, the others should be allowed to give their own opinions on the matter.

It was clear Day was abstracted by several things, not the least of which was his youngest brood inside the den, and it was growing late. Shale was tired, both physically and of waging this silent war against his brother--he'd never let the Pema thing go, it seemed--and was ready to retire to his own den.

With a nudge to his brother's shoulder, he murmured, "I'll let you know what I hear. Goodnight, Day," then padded off into the night, leaving the conversation behind him.
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday nodded - he'd been thinking along the same lines. "Goodnight, Shale," he replied, standing alongside his brother. Shale turned and headed off to - wherever - and Grayday turned and padded back toward the den, intent on cuddling his family and having at chat with the @Spiritwalker about what she thought of the plains. He hadn't really asked her about it before moving them to a far less covered area, and he now wondered if she'd been keeping quiet just to soothe his manly pride.
What's Mine is Ours