The Sentinels yet dawn is ever the hope of men
billions of lighthouses stuck at the far end of the sky
209 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
The ruined forest had drawn his attention the moment he laid eyes on it. The Mayfair knew at a glance it was dangerous territory; any of the trees still standing could crash down at random, fragile as they were. He was undeterred. Wasn't the world meant to be explored, after all? Something told him the place had a story, as well— unlikely as he was to find it now, he was eager to observe the piece of history. Even if he was not a part of it.
Cortland moved delicately through the dead, ashen territory. He imagined it must have been beautiful, once; he pictured the towering trees in their full glory, lined proudly along the coast. Perhaps it had been perfect. Now, it was only a ghost— barren and unwelcoming, but easily interesting enough to distract the sunset boy from recent events. That was good enough for him.
blood canticle
393 Posts
Ooc — ebony
the sentinels.
why she had not yet gone, mona would never know, but that day chose the steps that carried her toward the ruined forest where her father's grave lay. a place of spellcraft and witches — of birth, of death, of life. a decimated woodland holding the magick that should have been the witch-child's birthright. and as she stood in solemnity, overlooking the wreckage of a mayfair holdfast, the girl knew she expected only ghosts.
she stepped through the graveyard all the same, scarlet hackles bristling only slightly. it was a dead land, yes, but perhaps no harm would befall her, not if lasher's spirit stood sentinel. but it was not lasher who appeared before her — it was a spirit mona had already decided had gone to ground, and the cry that broke from her lips was all but eerie.
[Image: footer3.png]
209 Posts
Ooc —
A haunting, familiar cry drove the boy abruptly from his thoughts. He turned with ears slicked back, argent gaze searching for the source. Her scent crept around him only moments before he spotted her. A soft gasp escaped him at the sight, and he didn't hesitate a moment longer.
Mona. Cortland drew near to his sister quickly, tail high and waving. He sought to push his nose into the scarlet fur of her neck, nuzzling against her with enthusiasm. The meeting was sudden, of course, but not unexpected— not to him. His next words were muffled, as he was unwilling to break the embrace. I knew I would find you.
blood canticle
393 Posts
Ooc — ebony
her brother did not long hesitate before he swept down upon her, her name on his lips. mona stood fast and atremble, rooted to the ruined earth until the touch of him broke her reverie. "i didn't know what had happened to you," she admitted, unable to keep the quaver from her lips as her murkwater gaze sought his own. he was taller, more filled, she decided.
"where did you go after ... after we left mom and c — dad?" the druidchild inquired, moving to his side and glancing toward what remained of the magick forest. she wished to walk with him, to explore the budding ghosts of the place, but the prospect of lasher's bones among the catacombs of donnelaith chilled mona in a way she could not understand.
209 Posts
Ooc —
He studied her, noted the emotion thick in her words and expressions; he had missed her more than he'd realized. The barest hints of a smile tugged at his lips as she halted over Casmir's name and corrected herself. It faded quickly. East, He told her, not sure of much beyond that. His familiarity with the land was, for now, rather limited.
I... met someone, It was the best way he could think to put it, argent gaze following his sister's across the landscape. Phocion was more than just someone, but how could he explain the significance of the priest within his life? We were traveling together, but something... happened, and now I don't know where he is. He paused a moment, eyes turning on her with his own curiosity behind them. Where did you go?
blood canticle
393 Posts
Ooc — ebony
she shrugged; the revelation that cortland was alive and well was of more interest to mona than where she had been. and suddenly, the scarlet wolf felt ... removed from her littermate; their gazes traveled together, and her heart raced with the love she always had borne for him, but mona felt estranged. othered, in some way that was not her brother's fault.
"tell me about him," the girl invited, sidling beyond cortland into the ash-tossed borders of where their father had once ruled. if his shade held fast now to donnelaith, mona did not feel it now.
209 Posts
Ooc —
Whatever distance his sister felt, it was not mutual; he sensed it, though, ever perceptive when it came to his loved ones. Her dismissive gesture stung, and he hesitated to share more knowing he was no longer privy to the details of her life. After a moment, he decided distancing himself would not heal the gap. It would heal.. it could be no other way, he assured himself.
I'd rather hear about you, Cortland said finally, following Mona with eyes trained on her rather than the ruined forest. Had something terrible happened to her, to make her so reluctant to share? Or perhaps he had waited too long to find her; he couldn't know. Taking a breath, he admitted: I've missed you. I think about you a lot. I just want to... know if you've been happy.
blood canticle
393 Posts
Ooc — ebony
when her brother persisted, mona leveled him with a flat stare that briefly brought to mind the expression of one threatening to be jaded at their edges. and yet the murkwater of her stare cleared; the emerald swam to light, and she softened tangibly. "oh, cort," the girl whimpered, chin trembling even as she blinked back tears. "i ran away from mom and dad, and stayed in a pack called tindome. and i m-met a man there, nathaniel, and it's ... he loves me, i think, and we did it —" here she faltered fawnlike, eyes widening with horror before she pressed on in a flurry of blinking " — but i just miss mom all the time, and you, and i feel so alone!"
there now; all out, and the little firebird winded.