Dawnlark Plains I want this, and I want it now!
631 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Medic
All Welcome 
AW! Maybe @Shale or just a reference tag.

It had been two weeks since her and Shale had mated. She couldn't be certain that she was pregnant and she didn't want to get her hopes up, not until she got a baby bump or something. She wasn't having morning sickness or nausea, but she did have some strange cravings. The plains were often willed with migrating herds of deer and sometimes elk, but that's now what Pema was after.

She found herself rummaging through one of the caches that morning, looking for one thing imparticular and coming up empty-handed. She was on the hunt for sheep, lamb, or goat. Something of that nature. She had never had a strong fondness before, but now it was the only thing she could think of eating. So much so that she was a bit disappointed and aggravated when she didn't find it. She kept digging around, but would inevitably find nothing.
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
gonna snag dis

Things were looking better. The shock of the news of Murdock's death had worn off, replaced by a dull acceptance, a small hole in his heart. He was on good terms with Pema, and time would soon tell if she was pregnant. The pack was thriving, staying healthy and fed. He really couldn't complain--and for a wolf that so often liked to wallow in self-pity and misery, that was saying something.

Shale found Pema today by a cache, doing a little bit of rummaging. That was encouraging--she was pretty actively engaged in finding food, which meant she was hungry, which meant-- He frowned, halting his brain from running desperately to conclusions. She was hungry. He left it at that.

"You've bypassed a perfectly good rabbit, there," he said after chuffing in greeting, giving her a gentle nudge to her shoulder and dipping his nose at the almost perfectly preserved carcass. "Or that deer haunch. Which I'm tempted to take for myself, unless you want it." He'd stayed busy enough to eat a little less, and his stomach was starting to feel the effects.

Shale blinked kindly at his. . .mate? Great friend? Fuck-buddy? He didn't quite know. They'd not made anything official. "How are you?" he asked, smiling.
631 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Medic
She had been so intent on her search for a pleasing meal that she didn't notice Shale coming up behind her till he nudged her shoulder. For a moment she forgot about her hungry as she returned his affections, happy that they could now be together. Though she wasn't sure how together they were just yet.

When he pointed out the rabbit she rolled her eyes, possibly missed by Shale as he also pointed out the deer. "Yes I know. But that's not what I want. None of this looks good. I want goat... or sheep... ram... something of that variety!"  she said finishing her statement with a bit of angst at the situation. She felt a bit bad for her tone, it wasn't meant to be directed at Shale. "I'm fine... just hungry."  she said with a small laugh trying to lighten the mood.  "What about you?"
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He laughed along with her, feeling lighthearted as he tried to figure out the last place he had seen any of those animals. There were goats on the cliffs surrounding the plateau; perhaps there were others on the other side of the mountains, and it was a quick trip, too. Maybe he'd bring Sunny along. He hadn't seen the boy in some time, and could use his hunting expertise.

"Well, maybe I'll find one for you," Shale said, grinning over at her. He gave a small, easy shrug. "Oh, I'm getting on just fine," he responded gently. "But I mean. . ." He trailed off, losing his train of thought. He'd meant to bring up the possibility of pregnancy, but now that it came to the tip of his tongue, he suddenly lost courage.

Instead, he cleared his throat and went on. "Seen Grayday recently?"
631 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Medic
When he suggested that he might be able to go and get some for her, her tail began to wag at the idea of her cravings being quenched. "Shale that would be amazing if you could do that for me."  she said walking up to him before nuzzling her head into his neck and giving him a faint kiss on the cheek. 

The two hadn't been made official so she was still a bit on the fence as to what they were. But whatever they were she wanted to be able to be openly affectionate with him. Especially if he was going to grab her some food! He would need a proper reward for that.

She turned her head to the side for a moment when he trailed off. "Yeah. We see each other here and there. Why? Is something new with him?" she asked wondering about his interest in Day.
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He returned her kisses, wagging his tail and running his tongue over her ears. She smelled good--not the lusty, burning odor of her heat, but a gentler smell, homely and clean. It put him at ease, and he closed his eyes, breathing deeply for a moment, ears perked as she answered his question.

"No, but something's new with us," Shale replied, opening his eyes and drawing back to stare at her. One side of his mouth quirked in a wry smile. "Have you told him yet? About us? Or should I?"

Gods, the bastard would be crazy with joy. Grayday had wanted this almost as much as the parties involved. Be shocked if he didn't do a little dance upon hearing the news. Add into the mix that Pema might be pregnant and the happiness would increase tenfold.
631 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Medic
She realized now why he had mentioned Grayday. I guess it would be a good idea to tell him. Especially if she ended up being pregnant. That's something a leader of a pack should know. It was still sort of unreal to her. That Shale had been sticking by her side without obstacles and that she might have life forming within her.  "No I haven't told him. Honestly, I didn't even think about it... Telling him that is. I think about you regularly" she explained with a smile.

She thought for a moment about his questions. About who should tell him. On the one hand she was a leader of the pack and the one that would be having pups if she ended up being pregnant. But Shale was his brother also. It would look bad on one of them if they weren't the first ones to tell him. "Maybe we tell him together?"
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He smiled, giving her a small nudge. "That's a great idea. Have it come from both of us. It seems more official, that way." Oh gods. He'd just used the o-word. Was this happening? He supposed it was happening.

Shale didn't know what he was so afraid of. Rather, he did know--but he didn't know why it was ruling all of his decisions the way it was. So heavily, constantly on his mind. Pema was not Lucy, she never would be Lucy. Death wasn't necessarily in the cards for his new mate.

He needed to let the fear go. Just. . .let it go.
631 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Medic
She nodded with a smile when Shale also thought telling Grayday together was a good idea. He said it would make it more official. Which made Pema feel good knowing that Shale considered them to be official. They had had a rough start but things were going well now. A bit slow, and shy, but good none the less. 

"Great. We can tell him after you bring me home some dinner."  she said humorously. "I could always come with you if you wanted." she offered, seeing as how what she wanted to eat wasn't the easiest to catch.
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Shale laughed at her offer. "Only if you want to," he remarked, brows raised. "Otherwise I'll just bring Sunny along. He's turned into a fine hunter." He pursed his lips, pondering. "Or we all could go--better luck with more wolves." He wagged his tail. "Up to you."

He felt younger, all of a sudden. Young and in love. Being here with Pema, laughing and joking around while exchanging the soft looks and subtle touches of mates--it was a feeling he hadn't grasped in such a long time. It felt alien, to be happy. And though fear for the future cut a jagged edge along his joy, it was joy nonetheless, and he took a moment to bask in it.

"Let's go tell Grayday," Shale suggested, "and then get you something to eat." He nipped playfully at the air beside her ear, teeth closing just short of actually biting her, then drew his tongue in a gentle kiss along the lobe.
631 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Medic
She thought about all the different option. "I don't care either way. Whatever gets me a goat fastest."  she said in a teasing a playful tone. "Maybe you and Sunny would be better off without me. My hunger could possibly cloud logical and strategic judgment."  she said lightheartedly making fun of herself.

But telling Day would take precedence it seemed. She smiled and giggled a bit as he motioned to bite her ear before gently kissing it. She took her head and nuzzled it against his side lovingly. Before pushing him forward.  "Fine, but you are getting dinner right after." she playfully protested before giving him a kiss and leading the way to where she thought Day might be.