The Sunspire I don't want to be alone
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Private 
When @Rannoch came up on her and gave a greeting, Maia was still sulking, not wanting to show off her lisping speech any more than she had to.  The swelling was going down more, but it would be a day or two more before she could talk unhindered, and she was not taking the embarrassment of it well.  Wraen was a trooper; despite their shared sleeping arrangement, Maia didn't feel like her sister was judging her too badly for it.  But there were things others couldn't help but laugh at, and at the moment with her mood, she couldn't help but take it personally.

She was lying down on a ledge, tucked away, and the alpha must have happened to spot her and come to say hello.  She winced, but knew she couldn't say nothing - she hadn't really gotten to introduce herself yet, and while she wanted to melt into the ground from the shame of her panic the other day, she had to be a trooper about it.

"Uh, hi."  Awkward pause.  She didn't even know how to begin talking to him after the other day.  Yikes.  He probably thought she was a complete spaz.  He was probably right.
Ghost
he came and stole the wild
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Despite having a growing to-do list, Rannoch had decided to investigate Maia's whereabouts. She had been on his mind ever since the bee fiasco, and he wanted to make sure that she was doing alright. Once Rannoch had gotten a whiff of Maia's scent, he followed it until he found her at the end of the trail she had left. 

"Maia," he greeted as he approached, his tail wagging and his expression kind. There was an awkwardness in how Maia reacted, and although it was unexpected, Rannoch's facade did not falter. 

Not one to pussyfoot around any matter, Rannoch asked, "How have you been?" He sat then, giving her some space in case she needed it.
a crime so old as the sky and bone
he came untied, solid as a stone
all is almost lost and it starts to show
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
She hadn't taken Wraen's advice yet, wanting to be able to at least speak properly before she did so.  Unfortunately, he found her... she started when he spoke, and contemplated briefly running again.  Which would be the exact opposite of what she should do and only make her feel worse.  Darn.

"Hey," she said, a little lackaluster, but she did manage a smile.  Oh boy, here we go.  "I'm.... thorry for the other day.  For runnin."  She winced visibly as she spoke, both hating the way words still sounded coming from her (at least smaller) swollen mouth and because she wasn't sure how he would take it.  She imagined both he and Terance were pretty mad about it.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Although it took a moment for Rannoch to comprehend what Maia had said, he found himself confused by the excuse that she offered; honestly, he was a little distracted by her lisp, too. "Sorry? For running?" he repeated confusedly, "Why are you sorry for running?"  

Rannoch's expression softened, and he offered his perspective, "I don't blame you for running, honestly." Rannoch put himself in her pawsteps, and felt disturbed by the thought of witnessing his brother laying lifeless on the ground. "I think I'd do the same thing if it was my brother in Wraen's position."   
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
Ohhh, he was nice, and that just made it that much worse.  Well not worse, but harder to hear without having another meltdown.  Wraen had been extremely nice and forgiving, but she hadn't been understanding, and Maia had seriously wondered if she was crazy for overreacting like she did.  Rannoch's validation meant a lot.

"Y think?" She asked, finally turning to look at him.  "I know it turned out ok but I've never been that thcared."  Ugh.  She smiled, but it was the uncomfortable sort that masked a good deal of temporary embarrassment.  "I got thtung in my mouth."  She felt like she had to explain why she sounded like an idiot talking to him.... this was a nightmare.  He was cute, nice, and leader here (albeit taken, but embarrassment was embarassment) and this was their first convo? Yikes.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
"I do," Rannoch replied with a nod. He had run before— what was to say he wouldn't run again? "Sometimes, you have to do whats best for you, and that's okay." 

Maia then explained the enigma that was her random lisp, and Rannoch looked at her with understanding. "That makes sense," he decided out loud. Then, with an edge of concern, he asked, "Is it starting to feel any better?" 
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
He said it so straight, and so easily, that Maia was flabbergasted for a minute before she had to turn away again a minute.  Wow.  Her dad had been a great leader, but with him, everything was about the good of the pack.  She couldn't imagine him saying that, even to her... instead he'd usually just chided her for her stupider decisions.  And this was way worse than any of those... she'd half expected to be punter out of the pack.  She needed a minute to let it sink in.

"Yeah," she said, then cleared her throat when her voice cracked on the delivery.  Ok.  Moving on.

"Better, yeah.  Itth going down.  A little."  She opened her mouth slightly and ran her tongue over her gums experimentally.... the roof and sides were back to normal, and the tongue was only swollen enough now for the slight lisp.  "Thank bob. I hate it.". Her love of talking made hating the sound of her voice an awful ordeal.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch was not oblivious to how abashed Maia appeared at times; he simply decided to overlook it. 

"Yeah," he agreed, "I feel like if I were in your paws, it'd annoy me, too." Rannoch was sympathetic to her situation. "Have you had a medic check it out?" Rannoch wondered out loud and tilted his head as he regarded her. "If not, you should." 
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
"Not yet," she admitted, and while she took it under consideration, internally her mind gave a big old 'heck no' to that plan.  The less who saw her like this the better.  

She was quiet a minute, but then had to fill it... she didn't tend to do well with pauses, even the non-awkward kind.  "Terenth thaid he wa' gonna be a dad.  That'th cool you guys let him."  Her tail gave a small thump behind her, and for the first time since Rannoch came up, she smiled.  "I've never theen pupth before, I left before mom had em."  
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
"You should go as soon as possible. I don't want anything getting infected," Rannoch encouraged; Maia losing her face was the last thing that Sunspire needed.  

The break in conversation was short-lived, and Rannoch smiled once he realized what Maia had said.  "He's going to be a great Dad," he remarked, "And I'm sure he's going to want you around the kids." At least, Rannoch hoped so. "After all, you'll be an important wolf in their lives." 
Brecheliant
Auspex*
1,511 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Storyteller
Ambassador
He was so nice, and she was really enjoying his company... but this hadn't at alllll been the first (second?) impression she wanted to make.  So when she saw an out? She snatched it up like a starving coyote.

"I'll go now, 'for I forge'" she said, standing.  Not wanting him to think she was bailing (though she definitely was, just not because of him) she smiled, adding a "Thankth Rannoch."  Before she departed. She was excited to meet them and be the best aunt ever!! She just needed to find out exactly how mad her brother was after, she, yknow, bailed on him and left him to clean up her mess.