Lost Creek Hollow How can something so small be so frustrating?
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
All Welcome 
@Howl if around, but AW

Brynn was naturally curious and liked to wander. This is what lead her to be in this new place outside of her new territory. This area was full of very tall trees that created shade from the afternoon sun. Not that it was really warm; In fact, this forested area seemed even cooler once she entered it, but Brynn didn't mind at all. As she walked further into the forest, she could hear the distinct sound of moving water. After following the sound for a little bit, Brynn found herself at a flowing creek. She walked up to the water's edge, bent her head to the water, and took a quick drink. She saw a few fish swimming in the creek and thought she might try to catch one. Fishing was not her strength, but she would never get better if she didn't try, right?

Brynn walked into the water gently, trying not to make too much commotion, afraid she might scare the fish away. She walked until the water touched just below her elbows and stopped, waiting. She finally spotted a fish close by. She watched it swim for a few seconds trying to form a plan. Finally, she leapt toward the fish trying to trap it between her two front paws and the creek bed, but the fish was too fast. Brynn attempted this maneuver several more times with each time rendering her still without a fish. Finally, she let out a frustrated huff and stormed out of the water to sit back on the dry land. What could she be doing wrong, she thought, trying to calm her frustration. What was it about fish that gave her so much trouble? She continued to think about this while listening to sounds of the creek flowing by in front of her.
: 0/10  : 2/5
Sometimes, I feel the fear of uncertainty stinging clear, and I can't help but ask myself how much I'll let the fear take the wheel and steer.
703 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Therapist
Ambassador
Away
Though Howl could often be found doing border patrols of Easthollow he did often frequent the neighboring regions. This allowed him to get away from the territory from time to time as well as to patrol the area. Though others might not be at their border, not everyone would be so kind as to knock before walking through their doors.

He walked under the shade of the tall trees, the temperature change was distinctive and almost instant, causing him a bit of shock through his body before continuing forward. The pleasant sound of running water drew him to the creek. It was a common trend he was seeing. Him being drawn to water. It was just so calming but active at the same time.

But before he reached the water he caught the scent of Brynn and it brought a gentle sway to his tail. He then saw her sitting beside the creek, the fur of her legs damp from the water. He walked up behind her, walking normally not wanting to intentionally scare her. "Did you decide to take a dip again today."  he said with a smile as he nudged his head against hers before standing at her side. He remembered how during their first encounter they had gone for a swim in the pond of a beavers dam, though that was quickly interrupted.
Howl is always open to some interesting plots.
Just PM me and we and plot and thread!
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Staring at the creek, Brynn occasionally saw the flip of a fin at the surface of the water. She thought it almost seemed as though the fish were taunting her now that they knew she was fishing-challenged. She thought about the way she had tried to catch the fish with her front paws. Maybe that wasn't the correct way? Maybe she should use her mouth? But if she tried to catch them in her teeth, she would have to put her face in the water and wouldn't be able to see where she was going. She knew there was a trick to it, though; she just hadn't figured it out yet. 

Brynn's attempt at forming a new strategy was soon paused as she heard the sound of an approaching wolf. When she turned her head and saw that it was Howl, she smiled. She accepted his greeting nudge and replied, "No, I was trying to catch a fish, but they elude me every time." The frustration she was feeling leaked into her voice as she added, "I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong." She then let out a disappointed sigh and asked, "Do you catch fish?"
Sometimes, I feel the fear of uncertainty stinging clear, and I can't help but ask myself how much I'll let the fear take the wheel and steer.
703 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Therapist
Ambassador
Away
She had been fishing or attempting to anyway. Howl remembered her mentioning never being able to catch any fish when they first meet, and remembered how he had wanted to teach her at some point. This seemed like as good a time as any, seeing as how they were right next to a fish-filled creek and seeing as how Brynn sounded so defeated.

"I do fish. You're probably just over thinking it. Here..." he said walking into the water and turning to face her. He crouched down. "Stance low""Staying still". He then waited for a few moments, waiting for just the right moment. It was quiet. Then he lunged his muzzle into the water catching the tail end of a fish. Not the best spot to grab a fish. But nonetheless, Howl was quick to carry it onto shore and bite down on its head. "See. You just reach in grab it and pull it out." he said with a smile.
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Hoping to mimic his technique, Brynn watched every move Howl made while he waited for and caught a fish. Like she had been wondering, he caught the fish with his teeth. When he came back to where she was watching, fish in mouth, she grinned and said, "You certainly make it look easy." She replayed what he had done in her head and with a determined look on her face, she said, "Okay, I'll try it again."

Brynn walked back out into the water and waited. Remembering Howl's direction to stay low to the water, she crouched down. She waited quietly for a minute before she saw a fish swimming towards her. She plunged her face into the water and attempted to grab it between her teeth. When she came back up, her face was soaked and she had no fish in her mouth. She shook the excess water from her face and turned to look at Howl with amusement in her eyes. She couldn't even be frustrated. She just laughed at how clumsy her attempt had been, especially when compared to the effortless way Howl had just done it. "I guess I need to try that again," She said, laughing once more. 

She crouched back down near the water and waited. Again, she saw a fish swimming towards her. This time, she waited until right when it was about to cross in front of her before she launched her muzzle into the water once more. This time, she felt her teeth sink into the flesh of the fish. She pulled the fish from the water, firmly holding it in the middle. She trotted back to where Howl was and dropped the fish, a panting grin on her face. The fish flopped around on the ground in front of her, which was surprising since it clearly had obtained a few puncture wounds from where she had clamped down on it with her teeth. She quickly put her paw on it to keep it still and swiftly bit into its head, silencing the movements. She lied down, holding the fish between her paws. She looked up at Howl, gave him a big smile, and said, "Thanks!" before going back to her fish and digging in.
703 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Therapist
Ambassador
Away
He laid down on the creek's bank waiting while Brynn attempted to fish. At her first attempt, she missed her target and Howl thought about giving her a hint. To aim for where the fish will be rather than where it was. But he decided to stay quiet and let her figure it out. He had given her the basics and it was up to her to figure out her own style. She was smart he thought, she would surely figure it out. It still shocked him that she hadn't done it before in the past.

He kept his fish to the side of him, not eating until she had something of her own. When she succeeded at her second attempt his tail wagged, "There you go. See. I knew you could do it." he said. She brought onto the bank as if flopped around in her jaws. Once she clamped down of it's head and thanked him Howl spoke again.  "Oh no problem. You did an even better job than I did."  he said seeing as how she got hold of its body rather than just it's tail.
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Looking up from her prize, Brynn licked her lips and smiled at Howl's encouraging words before replying, "I'm sure it's just beginner's luck." She intended on practicing this some more so that she could be consistent in catching fish. She was hoping to broaden her hunting skills now that she was in a pack. She constantly felt the need to prove her worth and was always looking for ways to do so. 

Brynn thought she may be able to prove herself valuable when Valette's pups were born. She didn't get to experience much about pack life as an adult in her old pack, but she did remember that when there were newborn pups, the mom couldn't leave them for very long and usually needed food brought to them. This thought prompted her to look up from her fish once more and say to Howl, "Do you think Valette will let me bring her food once the pups are born? I want to help, but I don't want to overstep her boundaries since she doesn't know me very well yet." There was no doubt the alpha would be fiercely protective of her children, and Brynn didn't want to cause problems. She couldn't quite shake the feeling that she didn't belong here, and she was pretty sure that pissing off the alpha was not a good way to keep her place in the pack.
703 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Therapist
Ambassador
Away
She spoke of beginners luck, throwing doubt on herself. "And I'm sure you had it in you the whole time. No luck needed."  he playfully argued. She need only more practice to begin fishing with regularity. Now that she had her own fish in hand he began to dig into his meal.

During which Brynn asked him another question regarding delivering food to Valette once her children were born. "I think it's very kind of you to think of such a thing. I'm not sure what her temperament will be like. I hear every mother's is different. But I'm sure you will find out quickly." he said with a bit of a chuckle at the end. "If you do decide to bring her a meal, I would suggest waiting a bit. Give her some time with her litter. Then try it out. Making sure to not cross through the entrance until given direct permission, and if she says no... well know it's more than likely not personal."
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Brynn smiled at his retort to her beginner's luck comment and continued to work on her fish. 

She thought about his answer to her next question and replied, "I won't take it personally. I know she'll be protective of her pups." Brynn wouldn't expect anything less. She would remember Howl's pointers on how to approach her den, though. Hopefully, if she was respectful and cautious, it would turn out okay. 

Brynn continued to consume her catch, lost in her own thoughts. In the quiet, She could hear the occasional flip of a fish tail in the water and a bird chattering in the trees above. It felt nice here, and she thought she might visit this place often if she could. She realized she actually felt content right now, which was something she hadn't felt in a very long time. She was struck with a sudden flash of worry at feeling something that could leave her feeling worse if taken away later but just as quickly pushed the thought out of her mind, hoping that her anxiety hadn't spread to her expression. She carried on in the devouring of her spoils, trying to enjoy her happiness instead of being scared of it.
703 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Therapist
Ambassador
Away
She listened to his words and heeded his words about not taking any negative reaction personally. It was normal to want others to like you, especially when one was new and the one you were trying to be liked by was the alpha of the pack. But it was also very important to know that when someone was angry or distraught it wasn't always about something you did. They may have just been having a bad day and were unable to keep it to themselves. These were the types of things that Howl tried to think about when meeting a less than welcoming individual.

He continued eating like she did, finishing up his fish before she did as he had caught his first. Afterward, he licked his lips and glanced at her. "I know you haven't been here too long yet. But I'm really happy you decided to come back with me."  he mentioned.
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
At Howl's comment, Brynn stopped eating to look at him. "Oh, yeah? Why's that?" she asked with a coy smile. She was also glad she had come back with him. Not only had it given her a pack again, but it also meant there was no uncertainty as to whether or not she would get to see more of him. She wasn't entirely sure of the nature of their relationship, but she felt drawn to him. She hoped he felt the same way, but definitely wouldn't ask him for fear she would get an answer she didn't want, once again ruled by her insecurities.
703 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Therapist
Ambassador
Away
He gave her a telling smile before standing up and laying down at her side where she continued to eat her fish. "Do you need me to tell you the obvious?"  he said playfully before reaching over to give her a kiss on the cheek. "But aside from that... You are a strong and willing individual. Any pack would be lucky to have you... Though I would consider myself luckier than them." h e said with a smile.
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She laughed at his first comment, any insecurities she had melting away. If wolves could blush, she sure would be right now. She smiled at his kiss and gave him one in return.

There he went again, paying her compliments she wasn't sure she deserved. She couldn't help but smile at him before shyly saying, "I think I am the one who is lucky." It was the truth. Had she not happened upon him that day, she wouldn't have a new pack and she wouldn't have found him. For a reason she couldn't quite figure out, Howl was able to pull her out of the protective shell she had worked so hard to form; a shell she had hid inside for quite some time. 

No longer hungry, for food anyway, she nosed the remnants of her fish aside and scooched closer to him so that the side of her body was touching his. She nuzzled his cheek before resting her soft muzzle half on her paw and half on his. She let out a contented sigh, glad for the contact and company.
703 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Therapist
Ambassador
Away
He gave a soft smile when she returned his kiss. It was comforting to know that she was here. Someone that he could hold and share his affections with. There was nothing official between them yet, and he doubted that any of the other members of the pack suspected anything other than their friendship. But it made Howl wonder like he had wondered with so many other women if he might be able to have a long and happy life with her. It might have been too early to say, but it was something that he thought of fondly.

She rested her head on his paws and he lightly rested his head on top of hers. "And what makes you so lucky?"  he asked softly. Curious to see if she would comment about him, the pack, or something else.
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
When he placed his head on hers, she reveled in the affection, glad to feel him around her. At his question, she grinned. "Well, obviously I'm glad to have a pack again." She paused for a second and thought about how grateful she really was that he had offered his pack to her before adding, "But mostly, I'm lucky because I found you. And even luckier because for some reason, you seem to feel for me the way I feel for you." Her negative self talk couldn't blind her from that anymore. He had all but blatantly told her how he felt. Especially, now. His affections made it clear how he felt, but true to her nature she felt the need to add, "At least, I think you do." Her tone a little unsure with her last statement.
703 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Therapist
Ambassador
Away
She began by mentioning how lucky she was to be in a new pack again. He knew this was a reason, and not hearing him being mentioned first didn't discourage him. He knew that she also felt lucky about them, which she soon confirmed for him.

'For some reason' There it was again. That insecurity that she had about herself. It always found a way to sneak its way into her thinking but it didn't have Howl fooled. At her last comment he raised his head off of her and lowered his head onto his paws to that he was eye level with her.

He looked at her with a smirk on his face.  "Now if you're not completely sure then I must be doing something wrong."  he said teasing. "Let me correct that."  he said before kissing her on the mouth, and then again. He then worked his way to her jawline where he continued to kiss, before moving down and nibbling on her neck.
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
At her question, she felt his head leave hers, and she was soon looking into his face. She grinned in response to his words. He then proceeded to kiss her, starting at her mouth and moving down her jaw to her neck. His nibbling at her neck made things tighten deep inside her, and she sucked in a quick breath before letting out a flirtatious giggle. 

Brynn moved so that she could give him a few quick kisses on his lips before nuzzling her head into his neck. She took a deep breath, drawing in his scent. She loved the way he smelled; it made her feel safe and content. Any questions she may have had about his feelings for her were now gone. 

Of course, there was now another question she felt she needed to ask. She wasn't sure what his answer would be, but she knew she wouldn't be able to go forward from here without asking it. So, shyly, she finally said, "So...What does this mean?" She knew she wanted him to be hers, but did he feel the same way? This was more than just a fling for her, especially since she didn't really do flings. She was usually an all or nothing kind of girl. As much as she wanted to avoid defining the nature of their relationship and hide in his scent and the way he made her feel, she knew not knowing would eat her alive.
703 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Therapist
Ambassador
Away
He enjoyed the way she laughed. It was soothing and comforting to hear. He had seen that with others she was more reserved and shy, and even though at times she still was, he felt that she opened up with him at her side. He his head over her as she nuzzled his neck. It felt nice to have a warm and caring body beside him.

She asked a question, one more loaded then the question would let on. He understood what she was asking and he too wondered the same thing. He hadn't been anyone's official mate other than with Heartha, but that had occurred under such different circumstances. They felt the same for one another but their relationship was still so new.  "Well... It means that we both care for one another. Both in the same and equal magnitude... I hope." he said with a playfully flirtatious smile. "I enjoy being here... with you at my side... and I want to stay here. But I will not deny that we got here rather quickly and though I do not mind the pace at which we are moving, I am hesitant to proclaim it openly to the others." he said honestly, hoping not to discourage her. "This is still so new and fresh... and fragile. I don't want anything to taint this."  he said softly holding on to her, afraid this wasn't the answer she was looking for.
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Brynn felt many different things at his answer. She agreed that they had moved kind of fast, but it didn't feel wrong. It seemed he felt the same way in that regard. She couldn't help but feel a little hurt when he said he wasn't ready to share what they had with others. His reason made sense, and she even agreed, but for some reason, the words still stung a little. One thing she was sure about was that she didn't want this to end. 

She had never felt this way about anyone before. Her troubled past hadn't left much time for relationships. Once she had somewhat processed some of what she was feeling, she finally offered him a response of her own. "I guess, I understand. I don't know that I'm ready to let others know either." She felt like that was mostly true. Her other feelings about it were maybe something she needed to process on her own a little longer; decide if she was letting her insecurities cloud her judgement. 

She nuzzled his neck again and continued shyly, "I...haven't really done this before..." Her words were quiet. She wasn't sure how he would feel about her inexperience, and it made her feel a little self-conscious.
703 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Therapist
Ambassador
Away
She agreed with what he was saying, but he could sense the disappointment in his voice. Part of him wanted to just say Fuck it and howl it out to the rest of the pack. But his reasoning was sound and he wouldn't protest it.

She nuzzled back into his neck and he grazed his jawline over her as she spoke. It was the first time she had been in a relationship like this. Though Howl had in the past had many sexual encounters the only experience he had being with a true mate was with Heartha. This experience was different and felt similar and foreign at the same time to the situation he was in now.

He didn't want her to feel alone in this.  "I've done this once before, but it was a lot different. he started out saying.
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Howl's affection was soothing. The tenderness was clear in his touch, and it somewhat quelled the the tumult currently happening inside her. They stayed like that for several minutes, neither one saying anything until he mentioned having done this before. He said that it was different, though, which peaked her curiosity.

She pulled her head back a little so that her icy yellow gaze met his silver one. "What was different about it?" she asked. She was genuinely interested in knowing. She also hoped it wasn't different in a bad way. She didn't have anything to compare their relationship to and wasn't sure if she was doing something wrong. At that thought, uncertainty filled her expression and she moved her face back into his throat, not wanting him to see her moment of insecurity.
703 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Therapist
Ambassador
Away
He knew that she would ask but he wasn't sure how much he should say. It wasn't that he didn't want to be honest, but from an outside set of eyes, it may have seemed weird, and not good on his part. But she would have to learn at some point right? If they were, in fact, going to become official at some point. "Well... We never intended for things to get serious. I was only going to be... sort of a donor for her." he said looking down at her.  "Her name was Heartha and she was older, but she really wanted to have a final litter of pups. She told me why over about a week or so and I agreed to father the litter."   he explained hoping she wouldn't think negatively of him.

"I ended up following her back to her pack... and we became a thing I guess."  he said shruggingly. It was easier for him to think about what happened when he didn't confess how deeply he had felt his grief, and how deeply he truely loved her.
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She listened quietly as he told her of Heartha. She silently cursed herself for being so selfish and only worrying about the way she felt. 

She met his gaze as he talked, offering him her undivided attention. The fact that he had fathered pups previously didn't even bother her. On the contrary, she thought it was compassionate of him to offer that gift to someone he hadn't known. She wasn't surprised, though. From the moment they had met, he shown her nothing but compassion. She supposed that was why she had fallen for him so fast. Compassion wasn't something she had encountered as a lone wolf and to have another wolf offer it so easily...she didn't really have words to describe how it made her feel. 

She was curious about what happened, though. She looked down briefly and then met his gaze once more before asking, "What happened?" She knew they weren't together anymore, but he hadn't said why.
703 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Therapist
Ambassador
Away
She asked further, no doubt wanting to know why he wasn't still with her. He probably would be if things had played out as the two had planned. He would have a wife and four wonderful children. He didn't even have names for them. She seemed so happy when she left, so at peace with how things turned out. But Howl, still one of the living, didn't see it that way.

He hadn't told anyone of Heartha's death. There were those who knew because they had been their two, but he himself had never had to recall it to someone one. He tried to think of a way to say she was gone and that the kids were gone without outright saying they had passed away. It wasn't that he was still in denial, he was long past that. He had accepted it, but that didn't mean it was any easier to stomach.

He thought of her question as a Then what? rather than What happened? It would give him something else to talk about. "I became attached, caring for her in her pregnancy. The pack she was in ended up moving so I helped out with that and eventually became the alpha's second hand..." there was no more filler, and he knew she would be dissatisfied with that answer.

He put his head back on top of hers, not wanting to make eyes contact. He nuzzled his head into her nape before speaking. He wanted it to be quick, there was no need for extensive detail. "She and the pups ended up passing during her labor, and I left the pack."  he said attempting to lack emotion.

246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
She continued to listen quietly as Howl offered more details of his former...mate? She thought that seemed like the right word for it. She was, again, not surprised that he been a doting father-to-be. But as he continued to discuss what happened once he joined Heartha's pack, Brynn wondered again what had happened. It seemed he really cared for her, so what changed?

The answer was like a kick to the chest. He had moved his head back on top of her's, but she knew that tactic. He was hiding his face from her to keep her from seeing the emotion that had to be in his eyes; she had the same defense mechanism. She didn't push him to look at her, though. Instead, she nuzzled his neck offering him comfort with her touch. 

She was, honestly, speechless for a few minutes, offering him only wordless comfort by continuing to press her face into his throat. She knew grief, as well, and knew how deep it scarred the soul. Her heart ached for him. Finally when she was able to speak, she quietly said, "I'm so sorry," her voice full of sadness and understanding. She couldn't think of any other words that would be helpful, so she continued to soothe his hurt with nuzzles to his neck as a soft whine escaped her lips.