Stone Circle I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
Тал нутгийн хатан хаан
88 Posts
Ooc — Keg
All Welcome 
Inspired by I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Wormak.
Feel free to jump in and meet Kegana if you haven't already, I'm hoping to meet everyone soon enough! :P

Ocean blue eyes watched the plains bellow with an intensity commonly found in Kegana's gaze. She observed quietly, curious as to the prey bellow. She believed that these creature were known as bison, an animal Valette had mentioned when she first arrived. The pale princess had never seen such a creature before, her only comparison was the elusive mongolian yak. A creature Kegana had never had the pleasure of hunting as they didn't often venture into her packs territory. 

These creatures were different. They were larger than the average yak, and their hair was much shorter. What was even more curious though was the calfs. The minature versions followed their mothers around as all young prey did. Never far from their mothers feet. There were some obviously older calfs, some had just been born, and to Kegana it seemed that there were still several femals pregnant in this particular herd. It was birthing season. 

The mongol made mental notes to herself:
~May was part of the bison birthing season, she didn't know when it started or when it ended.
~Their birthing season overlapped with the wolf whelping season.

As time went on, Kegana continued her observations. For hours she sat watching, waiting for anymore tidbits of information. Even the light drizzle started, she continued her vigil, dedicated to her task.
If my body dies, let my body die, but do not let my country die.
mongolian (hover text), common
pawprints 
~~ Hunter 4/5 ~~ Mercenary 2/5 ~~
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
As discussed, we're bringing this to present. :)

After @Howl (tag for reference) had given her a tour of the pack's territory, she decided to do some exploring on her own since exploring was one of her favorite things to do. She was really interested in learning about the forest on this territory, but figured she would wander her immediate area first. 

Walking through the plains, Brynn thought about how spring was her second favorite time of the year aside from winter. Spring was prime hunting season. She just needed to learn the types of animals in her new home along with their habits. She wanted to start helping fill the caches as soon as possible.

Not too long into her exploration, Brynn caught the scent of bison. She had seen these massive animals in other areas during her time spent as a lone wolf, but she always made sure to stay clear of them; that was too much animal for one wolf. She decided to follow the scent just to get a quick look at the heard. As the large, horned beasts came into her field of view, she noticed an unknown white wolf studying the heard. As she was a brand new pack member, she had no idea if this wolf was also a pack member. She hoped so; otherwise, she would be trespassing. Brynn walked a little closer to the other wolf and said, "Hello, I'm Brynn. I'm a new pack member. Are you a member of Easthollow also?" She figured she'd get the question out of the way so she knew whether this wolf was friend or foe.
: 0/10  : 2/5
Sometimes, I feel the fear of uncertainty stinging clear, and I can't help but ask myself how much I'll let the fear take the wheel and steer.
Тал нутгийн хатан хаан
88 Posts
Ooc — Keg
Her ear twitched as a female approached. She looked over her shoulder cautiously. The woman held no agression in her stance, and so Kegana allowed her to approach further. Her question was slightly surprising as there were not many who would be bold enough to enter so deeply into pack territory. A slight eye brow raise was the only sign of the mongols surprise. 

"Yes." She wasn't a woman of many words, however she was perceptive enough to have noticed the "also" in her scentence. She took in the woman with her yellow eyes, and her thick coat. 

She returned her gaze to the herd. Analyitical as usual. Until she faultered. Perhaps she should introduce herself. This was so difficult, in her birth pack everyone had always known her. Now she had to introduce herself to people, people who didn't know her. Rolling her eyes, she returned her ocean gaze to the new woman. "I am Kegana."
pawprints 
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Brynn responded with a respectful nod at the other wolf's introduction. She had come here with the intent to study the these large animals but wasn't really expecting to do it with company. Being sociable was not really her thing. She looked from the heard of bison back to Kegana and with a little awkwardness, said, "Well...I was just following my nose here to watch these guys for a little bit, but I'll just come back later." She didn't really know what else to say.
Sometimes, I feel the fear of uncertainty stinging clear, and I can't help but ask myself how much I'll let the fear take the wheel and steer.
Тал нутгийн хатан хаан
88 Posts
Ooc — Keg
"No." Kegana was quick to respond, "Stay." The pale woman turned her gaze on the other woman. "Do you know anything of these creatures?" She tipped her head toward the vast plains below. "Observe these beasts with me."

The wind picked up the fresh grass, making it blow on the breeze. Something that seemed to amused the young bison as the ran throught the green. Their mothers watching with close eyes, as they often dipped their heads to graze. Kegana's keen gaze could see some brave deer making their way into the open. The mongol was reminded of home, there were just as many creatures here as their were in Mongolia.

Kegana was silently glad for the company of another. Perhaps they could bond over their mutual love of observation.
pawprints 
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
At Kegana's request, Brynn stopped and turned back to her. She was already here so, why not? The other wolf wanted to know if she knew about these animals. Brynn answered, "I have seen them before, but I'm afraid I don't know much about them. They're not really prey a wolf can take down on her own." Brynn thought it would be a new and fun challenge to take one of these beasts down as a group. She hoped that was something that would happen soon.

Brynn walked over and sat beside her new packmate. She watched the huge beasts graze and wondered if they knew they were being watched by predators. They were big and seemed  temperamental. Brynn figured they would be most successful searching for a weak member of the pack; an injured one or a baby, perhaps. She turned to Kegana and asked, "Have you ever hunted one of these?" She was curious to see if the other wolf had any insight on how to successfully hunt one of these beasts.

Brynn sniffed the air and caught the scent of a few deer in the distance. She thought they seemed like an easier conquest. Two or three wolves could probably successfully take down one of those as long as they had a sound strategy. She studied the deer as well, looking for any weaknesses that could be used to the wolves' advantage.
Тал нутгийн хатан хаан
88 Posts
Ooc — Keg
"You are correct, no lone wolf could down such a creature. I guess it is a good thing we are not lone wolves." Kegana would lend the other woman a small smile. Trying to get used to the idea of being part of a pack once more. She didn't know this woman's story but found it wouldn't prohibit them from a bonding experience. 

"No I have yet to hunt these beasts." Her ocean gaze travelled the length of the herd below once more. She couldn't see any obvious weaknesses aside from the youngsters, however Kegana doubted the mothers would willingly part with their children. "However, I have hunted animals I belive to be similar. We called them 'сарлаг'." 

Taking her gaze away from the bison she turned to the woman, "When hunting these 'сарлаг' it was a pack hunt. All able bodied members would be expected to help. It often took hours to get one down, but when we did get one our caches were full for many moons." 

With the flick of her head Kegana indicated she would head closer. Although she wouldn't head for the bison, rather the deer were her goal. "These are easier of course." The would pause before they got to close to spook the smaller creatures. The Bison were to far away to be worried about their presence, and the deer had yet to notice them. Keg waited to see if perhaps the woman might want to test their skills and help the pack all in one go.
pawprints 
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Brynn stood up to follow the other wolf towards the deer. She was definitely up for trying to catch one of them. She looked at her packmate and said, "I agree. We could probably catch one if we form a good strategy." Brynn knew that was key to having a higher chance at a successful team hunt. She figured they would need to study the deer for any weaknesses first, though. With that thought, she began to study the animals, taking in every action with analytical eyes.
Тал нутгийн хатан хаан
88 Posts
Ooc — Keg
She nodded softly, her own gaze flowing over the select few deer that had dared to venture out into the open. She could make out the young fawn frolicing in the grass. They were still to young to be of any real sustanance. But perhaps they could use one to their advantage. The younger deer wouldn't know what to do if they attacked, byt trying to seperate the babe from its mother they might be able to lead an older female away from the others. That was their only hope. 

"We need to tire out one of the females. We could try and seperate her from her young, she won't give up if we seperate the beast from their offspring." She through the suggestion out in the open. Although willing to see another option. She had yet to find an injured creature. If Brynn spotted one that would be easier than her plan.
pawprints 
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Brynn thought the other wolf's plan seemed like a good one. She watched the deer for minute before agreeing to it, though. She wanted to make sure she didn't see another viable option first. After her inspection did not render any other options, she replied, "I think that's a good plan. The mother's need to protect her child is a weakness I think we can take advantage of." She continued to watch the herd for a minute before adding, "Do you think any of the other members of the herd will come to her aid? Should one of us chase them in the opposite direction of the actual target first and then double back to help the other one?" Brynn felt like the other wolf might have a better insight since she had hunted larger animals in a pack before.
Тал нутгийн хатан хаан
88 Posts
Ooc — Keg
She did one more survey of the crowd, there weren't any males in the herd before them so she doubted any would come to the mothers aide. "I think we should choose a target on the outskirts of the group. That will be your main focus. Males are usually the ones that will try to protect others, but I don't see any. The other females will be focused on their own young. If by chance they do try to help her, I will take care of it." 

Kegana shrugged, she had little experience in coming up with hunting plans, and was never lead. But she thought her plan sounded solid. The fate of the pack didn't survive on this hunt, and so Kegana decided to take the risk. This plan also prevented Brynn from a split focus. The pale princess looked at the woman, seeing if she might have a better idea or any concerns. Now was the time to voice them before they began the hunt. 

Her keen eyes had caught the sight of a fawn and her mother a few feet away from the rest of the herd. It was a small heard consisting of only five females and their seven young. Kegana made a mental note that twins seemed to be common place among these creatures. With the flick of her head Kegana would indicate to her packmate which doe they were aiming for.
male presence determined by a roll
pawprints 
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Should we roll to see if any other deer come to her aid?

Brynn thought the other wolf's statement regarding the males seemed like sound logic. She scanned the herd once more and was glad to confirm Kegana's finding that there were no males. She listened and processed the plan before stating, "I think your plan sounds good. I feel like we've weighed out all the options." She continued to scan the herd, attempting to learn everything she could about how the deer moved and interacted with each other. 

When her packamte motioned towards the intended target, Brynn gave a nod to indicate that she, too, saw the female deer that had wandered just a little too far from the rest of the heard with her fawn. With a penetrating gaze, she watched the young one that would hopefully be their means for tiring out their real quarry. Feeling ready to try their plan, Brynn looked at her partner and asked, "Anything else?"
Тал нутгийн хатан хаан
88 Posts
Ooc — Keg
I was planning on it. I'll roll.

With a genuine grin falling on his lips she shook her head, "No." Stealth wasn't of peak importance, but they would definitely need to get closer before they could start their main attack. Kegana took a quick crouched trot heading toward the main section of the pack, trying to cut the wayward mother and child off from the group. 

She assumed Brynn would head straight for the pair, or follow her. The took a quick glance over her shoulder to see what her plan was. As they grew closer Kegana picked up the pace, and rose from her previous crouched position. She heard the faint warning call from the herd over the blood roaring in her ears. The majority of the deer took off into the woods once they saw the two wolves approaching. The doe that had wandered took her chances collecting her young and heading toward the open plains, trying to out run the wolves. 

The doe was on her own, none of her family attempted to help her. As the other deer disapeared into the trees, Kegana focused in on the deer. She paced herself, letting the beast run themselves until to tired to fight. 

1. direction the lonely doe ran: 1 = toward woods, 2 = toward plains; roll 1d2 = 2
2. if any other deer attempted to help: even=attempt to help, odd=fend for self; roll 1d5 = 3 (roll out of five was based on weak statistics about deer helping each other)

pawprints 
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Brynn could feel the excitement bubble up in her chest as they started to close the distance between them and their prey. Once she felt they were close enough, Brynn broke out into a run towards the deer, at the same time hearing a warning call in the distance but ignoring it. She grew even more excited when she saw that the rest of the herd left the mother and her fawn to fend for themselves. A victorious grin spread across her face at the sight of the mother deer giving up her chance to escape by looking after her young. 

As she got closer, she made sure to position herself so that the deer would be more inclined to run away from the safety of the woods. She only got close enough to taunt, waiting for signs that the deer was tiring before making a move. Brynn was salivating at the thought of sinking her teeth into the the deer's neck or the sensitive area on the inside of her thigh. The scent of the deer's panic was intoxicating; it was almost enough to cause Brynn to lose her focus. But, she knew better. She resisted the temptation and continued to push the unlucky deer towards exhaustion.
Тал нутгийн хатан хаан
88 Posts
Ooc — Keg
Her tongue fell out the side of her maw, a rare sight for the proper woman. Kegana couldn't help herself as they came closer. They had been running for a few miles, when suddenly the mother stopped. The child stuck close to its mothers belly as she turned back and forth. Kegana came to a stop just out of reach of the powerful hoves of the beast. She flailed her legs, stamping the ground to keep them at bay. 

As the deer focused on Brynn, Keg circled to the rear. Taking a chance to launch at the doe's hindquarters. With a powerful kick that narrowly misses her head Kegana takes a step back. The deer whipping around, showing her flank to Brynn. Kegana taunted the woman, lunging forward before taking a step back. Trying to distract the beast long enough for Brynn to try and sink her teeth into the flesh.

Rolls:
Doe kicked? 1=yes, 2-no; 1d2 = 1 (yes)
Keg injured? 5>x=no injury, 5
sorry for the excessive rolls,  I'm just starting to get into rolling and I'm practicing. Let me know if it bothers you.
pawprints 
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Doesn't bother me at all. Keeps things more realistic

After a few miles of chase, the doe stopped, and Brynn watched the desperate mother's attempt to fend them off with her kicks and stomping. Brynn took this as a sign that the their quarry was growing tired. Brynn watched as Kegana circled the deer and launched herself at her hindquarters.

Brynn watched the deer try and fail to kick Kegana, making a mental note to watch out for deer's dangerous hooves. Her packmate's advance left the deer's flank open to to Brynn. She lunged at the deer, aiming for the sensitive area between her ribs and thigh, but the deer became aware of the advance just in time to to kick out. Brynn not only missed her target, but took a kick to the shoulder. She was left with a decent gash, but her adrenaline kept her from taking much notice. She didn't miss a beat and instead took the opportunity to keep the deer's attention in the hope that Kegana could take advantage of the situation.
Тал нутгийн хатан хаан
88 Posts
Ooc — Keg
A grin spread across her maw as she watched her packmate aim for the deers haunches, only for the smile to fall as she saw the creatures hoof connect with Brynn. The woman seemed un fazed but Kegana would keep her eyes peeled for any serious injury in the future. 

Seizing the opportunity Brynn provided in return, Keg launched herself at the deers hind quarters once more. She could feel her teeth starting to sink into tender flesh, when the beast turned and harshly flailed its front leg at her. Kegana felt the foot graze her cheek, leaving a tender bruise and nothing more. To prevent further injury she took a step back. 

Trying to take a different stance, Kegana circled the beast once more. Standing ready beside Brynn. The meal faced them, giving the fawn an opportunity to run for the trees. The mother remained infront of them, prefering the stand strong against them and give her child the time it need to head to safety. Giving the two wolves the opportunity to take it down.

Rolls:
~ Keg's grip holds: yes=even, no=odd; 1d20=19(no)
~ Keg injured from attempt: same rules as kick; 1d20=6(minor injury)
~ Doe flee? yes=even, no=odd; 1d10=9(no)

pawprints 
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Brynn's excitement increased as she watched kegana successfully bite into the deer's hindquarters. When the deer seemed to kick her packmate in face, Brynn grew worried, but it wasn't necessary as the other wolf appeared to be okay.

Damnit, Brynn thought. Both of their attempts had been unsuccessful and put them in danger of injury. She was not ready to give up yet. And as her partner came to stand beside her, she watched as the fawn ran towards the woods, leaving them to only deal with the mother. To her surprise, the doe didn't follow her baby into the safety of the woods, but rather looked at them and stood her ground.

Brynn saw this as a opportunity and, moving slightly to the side of the deer, lunged for the vulnerable part of her neck. Her boldness proved to not be in her favor as the deer's front hoof connected briefly with her chest. Brynn was able to doge the the brunt of the kick, but was left with another, slightly bigger gash in the middle of her chest. Unfortunately, in order to protect herself from serious injury, she had not been able to connect her teeth with the deer's flesh. She let out an angry snarl. She was starting to get pissed. She kept her distance, though. Circling their stubborn prey hoping to distract the doe again for her packmate. 

Rolls: Attack successful- Even= yes, Odd= no; 1d20= 17 (no)
Deer kicks- Even= yes, Odd= no; 1d10= 4 (yes)
Brynn injured- 5>x= No injury; 6 to 15= Minor injury and can continue hunt; 16 to 20= Major, hunt-ending injury; 1d20= 15 (minor injury. Able to continue hunt)
Тал нутгийн хатан хаан
88 Posts
Ooc — Keg
Kegana cursed their luck with a ferice snarl as she watched the hoof connect once more with Brynn. Another gash appearing on the womans pelt. Her pent up frustration and anger gave her an advantage. With yet another distraction from her packmate, Kegana sprung at the mother's throat. She didn't prepare for the fallout if she missed or the beast retaliated. And thankfully she didn't have to. Kegana felt her mouth fill with blood as her jaws clamped down against the deers trachea. 

With a solid mouthful she wouldn't let go, and did her best to pull the beast to the ground. With all of her strength she would still need help to get the large animal under control. The mongol threw her weight around as best she could, but the animal was still sure footed. She could feel the muscles of her prey shiftting as it dragged her against the terrain. Even as death neared for the creature the two wolves of Easthollow still had one last hurdle, getting the animal to the ground.

Rolls:

~ Keg's hold stuck: yes=even, no=odd; 1d20=6(yes)
~ Keg pulls the deer to the ground: yes=even, no=odd; 1d20=19

pawprints 
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Brynn was filled with glee as she watched her packmate connect with deer's neck. The scent of their prey's blood was intoxicating and further fueled her determination. She watched Kegana attempt to pull their quarry to the ground, but the weight and strength of the animal were too much for her on her own. 

Brynn lunged for the beast's inner thigh in an attempt to further weaken the animal. She missed as the animal continued to fight her packmates attempts to bring her to the ground. Brynn quickly circled to the other side and sensing the animal's strength beginning to wane, she took aim for the inside of her other thigh. This time, her teeth connected with the soft, vulnerable flesh. Blood flowed fast and filled Brynn's mouth before dripping down her neck. 

At this point, the animal had lost a lot of blood. Finally, their prey hit the ground, unable to fight the strength of both wolves. Brynn wanted to tear into the flesh of the deer's stomach but instead, fiercely tore at the mouth-full she already had, causing further injury to the deer's leg and major blood vessel. She was not letting go until she was sure the deer would stay down.

Rolls: Attack successful- Even= yes, Odd= no; 1d20= 3 (no)
Second attack successful- even= yes, Odd= no; 1d10= 12 (yes)
Deer brought to ground- even=yes, odd=no; 1d20= 18 (yes) 
Тал нутгийн хатан хаан
88 Posts
Ooc — Keg
The deer fell. After waiting for Brynn to find her hold, Kegana's lungs expanded and contracted sharply, breath coming in quick sucession through her nose. As the animal came crashing to the ground Kegana shifted making sure she was clear, but refusing to let the deer's throat go. 

Lying beside the dying creature, Kegana held strong. When she was sure the creature was to tired to fight back she rearanged her hold to puncture the jugular. It didn't take long for the deer to finally succumb to its injuries. 

They had done it. It had taken them a few hours, but they had finally got their prey. 

Releasing her hold from the beasts neck she looked over at Brynn. Kegana was still breathing heavy, but she smiled at her packmate none-the-less. "Well done." Subtly looking over the other woman to see if her injuries need immediate attention. She wouldn't approach the woman though. Their high from the kill, and the meal promised made them aggressive. 

She didn't seem overly hurt, and hoped that if she needed help Brynn would notify Kegana of that very fact. She couldn't stopped herself, she turned her head from her hunting partner and dug into the meaty shoulder. Pulling at the tough hide of the fallen deer. Blood coated the front of her chest and chin, making the pale woman look murderous.
pawprints 
246 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Brynn felt the life leave the beast as her partner severed its jugular. Feeling pride and excitement, Brynn finally let go of the deer that was no longer. At Kegana's words, Brynn, panting and with a face painted with blood, replied, "Thanks! You, too!" Her adrenaline was still coursing through her, preventing her from even remembering that she had been injured. 

Too hungry and exhilarated to hold back any longer, Brynn ripped into the flesh of the stomach of their prize. Finally, after a long a dangerous dance with a very stubborn adversary, the two wolves could enjoy their well-earned spoils.